PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Atlanta

rhyolite
10-21-2012, 16:25
I understand that there are a few shuttles that offer to pick people up at the Atlanta airport. I'm allowing a couple days from airport to trailhead 0.0 mile start at Springer Mt. I'm undecided on whether or not to pre-pack all my food in CA or to shop in Atlanta. I'm afraid of the airport security thinking my powdered milk is cocaine and confiscating all my stuff. I've heard nightmare stories from others that fly with all the 911 BS.
Is there a bus line from the airport that takes me near super markets and an REI if necessary?
What is the most reliable shuttle service? Are there other more economical modes of transportation from Atlanta to Amicalola Falls?
Mike

wannahike
10-21-2012, 16:28
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

10-K
10-21-2012, 16:38
Hiker Hostel is your answer.

And leave the powdered milk at home. :)

Moose2001
10-21-2012, 16:55
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

+1 on the Hiker Hostel. Josh and Leigh will take good care of you and your needs.

max patch
10-21-2012, 19:33
Make your flite reservations and immediatly contact the HH. They fill up during peak season.

generoll
10-21-2012, 21:44
there is an REI right by the Sandy Springs MARTA station. or rather one block away. The Hiker Hostel will pick you up at the next (last) station. There is also Survivor Dave who runs shuttles out of Atlanta directly to Springer or Amicalola. I also run occasional shuttles, but unless you're in a group I won't be the cheapest option for you.

MkBibble
10-22-2012, 12:57
Have used Hiker Hostel and Survivor Dave; both are great! If you're looking for a ride and need to make some stops, it will be hard to beat Dave. http://atsurvivordave.com/ . Complete downloadable list here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation .

MJW155
10-22-2012, 14:43
Meh, I'm not high up on Hiker Hostel. Back in January, I ordered a room for a night in April. I told them what time I was flying in. (around 11 AM). I was told that was OK and that I would be picked up within 3 hours. The day before I went, I got an email saying there was no one to pick me up and that I would have to wait until 6. We didn't actually leave the Marta station until almost 8 and by the time I was in my room, it was almost 10 PM. If I had to do it again, I'd just get a ride straight from Marta to the trail.

I'm sure for the guy that got to the Marta station at 7:45 loved the convience of having us waiting when he got off the train. To each his own, but be careful about times, because they will make you wait.

max patch
10-22-2012, 16:49
Meh, I'm not high up on Hiker Hostel. Back in January, I ordered a room for a night in April. I told them what time I was flying in. (around 11 AM). I was told that was OK and that I would be picked up within 3 hours. The day before I went, I got an email saying there was no one to pick me up and that I would have to wait until 6. We didn't actually leave the Marta station until almost 8 and by the time I was in my room, it was almost 10 PM. If I had to do it again, I'd just get a ride straight from Marta to the trail.

I'm sure for the guy that got to the Marta station at 7:45 loved the convience of having us waiting when he got off the train. To each his own, but be careful about times, because they will make you wait.

MJW makes a valid point. One reason their rates are the best around is that they need as full a van as possible for the rides from Atlanta. They don't make any money at the rates they charge if they are only picking up one person. If I were to make a reservation I'd try for an arrival time of late afternoon if possible to avoid what happened to MJW.

Sweetspot
10-22-2012, 17:42
If I was you I would call Hiker H first to make sure they have room make your reservation then ask them if anyone has made res. the same day to be picked up and what time are they coming in. And then make Plane res. IT would be easier to change HH then a plane ticket. If you have to go to REI then make extra time its in walking distance check what stop. Then for the food if the time is going to put you in at night. How about mailing it to yourself at HH ? You only need 5/4 days to get to your next resupply. Or make sure you have options.

MJW155
10-26-2012, 10:46
MJW makes a valid point. One reason their rates are the best around is that they need as full a van as possible for the rides from Atlanta. They don't make any money at the rates they charge if they are only picking up one person. If I were to make a reservation I'd try for an arrival time of late afternoon if possible to avoid what happened to MJW.

The thing that annoyed me was that I asked what time I should fly in before I bought the plane ticket. Leigh said whatever time was OK and that I would be picked up within 3 hours. I picked 11 AM b/c I knew it would take an hour or 2 to get up to the last stop on Marta. I also wanted to go to the store and then relax and go over my stuff when I got to the hostel.

So my advice is to make them look up times others are flying in the same day you are and plan accordingly. Or just call Survivor Dave and have him drop you off at the trail.

yellowsirocco
10-26-2012, 12:17

Yeah, but that is why there is a three hour window. I am pretty flexible, but 5 hours late is unacceptable with as much advance notice that he gave them. Sometimes you have to take a loss on a transaction to provide consistent service or else your reputation suffers. Another bad thing is they only gave him one day notice on a reservation that they knew was coming up for a long time. Shows a lack of organization.

I like the folks at the Hiker Hostel though.

Personally I come in on the train at Gainesville so I just take a taxi directly to Amicalola.

Red Hat
10-26-2012, 17:36
I used the Hiker Hostel to start in 04, 05, and 2010. I NEVER waited more than an hour for them. My flights came in around noon, took the MARTA train to the last station where I was picked up. Last year, I was in GA for a while and picked up a friend at the MARTA station and there were three hikers waiting for the shuttle. When I ran into them on the trail, they said that they waited a couple of hours. So, except in very extreme cases, the wait is as advertised, less than three hours.

rhyolite
10-26-2012, 17:50
Much thanks to ALL who responded to my question on TRANSPORTATION from Atlanta! Sounds like HH is in demand! I tentatively plan to start later than the majority (land in Atlanta April 18, 2013, travel to Amicalola on the 19th, be at or beyond Springer Mt by the 20th), so hope this makes it a bit easier to reserve a space at HH. Your comments are much appreciated! Happy Trails and hope to see some of you on the trail!
Mike

rhyolite
10-26-2012, 17:52
P.S. Where do I find Survivor Dave's contact info?
Mike

max patch
10-26-2012, 21:13
P.S. Where do I find Survivor Dave's contact info?
Mike

http://www.atsurvivordave.com

or Survivor Dave on FB

max patch
10-27-2012, 08:57
or Survivor Dave on FB

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles on FB

rhyolite
10-28-2012, 18:25
Thank you Max Patch. I visited Survivor Dave's web site, and notice he doesn't give quotes through email. This seems odd to me. I'm wondering if he's lonely or his rates change like the gas prices day to day and doesn't want people holding him accountable to a price he quoted several months earlier. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what he charges to pick up at the Atlanta airport and transport to Amicalola? Mike

Scotto
12-08-2012, 09:53
Dave quoted me $90 to pick up at the North Springs MARTA station and drop off at Amicalola Falls. Once you book you are committed, you may be able to move times but not cancel. Payment is due at the time of the booking. More expensive than Hiker Hostel, but you go straight to the trail. If your flight arrives in the morning then Dave seems like the way to go, in the evening then Hiker Hostel makes sense and they don't require money up front.

slims
12-08-2012, 12:53
I went with Wes Wisson. Took the Greyhound from Florida to Gainesville then the MARTA train to North Springs where he met me and took me to the Falls. Only $75. Stopped off at an outfitter on the way to get canister fuel too. Great guy. Now might be a little early but if you've got a date you know you're starting on then just email all the people on the shuttle pdf and see who's available and at what sorta price.

max patch
12-09-2012, 12:01
Dave quoted me $90 to pick up at the North Springs MARTA station and drop off at Amicalola Falls. Once you book you are committed, you may be able to move times but not cancel. Payment is due at the time of the booking. More expensive than Hiker Hostel, but you go straight to the trail. If your flight arrives in the morning then Dave seems like the way to go, in the evening then Hiker Hostel makes sense and they don't require money up front.

That's 120 miles round trip and a 2+ hour time commitment. I think that's a heck of a deal.

lobotomized
12-11-2012, 01:59
Speaking of terrible TSA stories; I was flying to Colorado with a bunch of climbing gear(shoes, draws, rope, shoe goo, chalk, etc). TSA stopped me and did a full search, and ended up confiscating my shoe goo. The thing is, I had a huge chalk bag stocked full of chalk which they didn't bother checking once. There was white powder all over this chalk bag and they didn't even open it up. Talk about top notch security