PDA

View Full Version : AT in 2013 ?

speedbump
10-21-2012, 17:30
It is happening, life is lining up for a 2013 hike ! However, I am an "older" grad student and can't start until May. I have all of NH done, and parts of VT and ME. Questions are: Is it too late to start in Georgia in May ? If so where will most thru hikers be at that time. I am also considering only doing part of the trail since I have only 4 months until the next semester and do not want to rush. Any other college students out there who have done this have any advise on how to manage the time ? Crazy as it sounds, I was thinking of shuttling my car the entire way. Also looking for hiking buddies for this trip if schedules permit. Any and all advise is welcomed, thanks !

Zipper
10-22-2012, 10:46
Hey Speedbump.
I started at the beginning of May and elected to begin at McAfee Knob in Virginia and hike north. I was at the front of the thru-hiker bubble when I started, but going pretty slow so the bubble kept getting closer. There were a bunch of thru hikers in the Shenandoahs around Memorial Day and a boatload going through Harpers Ferry in early June. Hope this helps you get a sense of where the hikers will be. I took 6 months to hike so can't speak to your four month window. I would consider what you want to do most - what's your intention for being out on the trail? Do you want to be with the other thrus? Do you want to skip the parts you've already done?
I hiked by myself and almost always saw people in camp at night - so do you need a hiking buddy? Do you like walking in the woods by yourself? If you choose to hike around where the thru hiker bubble is, you'll meet plenty of people and some may be walking at a perfect pace for you and be a good fit personality-wise.
Good luck with planning an experience that matches what you really want to get out of your four months.
Cheers!
Zipper

speedbump
10-22-2012, 14:41
thanks ! this is good info !

Hey Speedbump.
I started at the beginning of May and elected to begin at McAfee Knob in Virginia and hike north. I was at the front of the thru-hiker bubble when I started, but going pretty slow so the bubble kept getting closer. There were a bunch of thru hikers in the Shenandoahs around Memorial Day and a boatload going through Harpers Ferry in early June. Hope this helps you get a sense of where the hikers will be. I took 6 months to hike so can't speak to your four month window. I would consider what you want to do most - what's your intention for being out on the trail? Do you want to be with the other thrus? Do you want to skip the parts you've already done?
I hiked by myself and almost always saw people in camp at night - so do you need a hiking buddy? Do you like walking in the woods by yourself? If you choose to hike around where the thru hiker bubble is, you'll meet plenty of people and some may be walking at a perfect pace for you and be a good fit personality-wise.
Good luck with planning an experience that matches what you really want to get out of your four months.
Cheers!
Zipper