PDA

View Full Version : Body found in a tent near AT in PA

Blissful
10-21-2012, 18:49
Just saw this news clip on a decomposed body found in a tent near the AT in PA. They still need to ID the person and are looking for info.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/760751_Decomposed-body-found-in-tent-near-Appalachian-Trail-in-Lebanon-County.html

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2012, 19:04
Well Hikers do not go to Cabelas or Bass Pro.... So I doubt anyone knows ....

He is a local and not a thru ... Sad but let this go......

Lone Wolf
10-21-2012, 19:20
Well Hikers do not go to Cabelas or Bass Pro.... So I doubt anyone knows ....

He is a local and not a thru ... Sad but let this go......

that's a stupid azz ignorant statement

leaftye
10-21-2012, 19:22
It'll be good to know how he died. Hunter, bear...hungry thru hiker?

Double Wide
10-21-2012, 19:32
I bought some convertible pants at Bass Pro, but then again, I haven't thru-hiked yet.

I hope those pants don't keep me from making it to Katahdin... :rolleyes:

Del Q
10-21-2012, 19:56
Good amount of details disclosed, it will yield positive call-in's / information

They are being open for a reason.

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2012, 20:11
well thanks for pointing that out. LW and it's terrible that this has happened..Where he shops has little to do with anything. Thanks again for baiting me. again... and again and again..

Folks LW has a history over the years of seeing if he can get into a posting fight and has successfully got a few people kicked off and a few times ended up taking a sabbatical. LW go **** yourself.

I do care about people.

rickb
10-21-2012, 20:13
Good amount of details disclosed, it will yield positive call-in's / information

They are being open for a reason.

There was a body found in a tent on the AT in CT over the summer that made the headlines, but did did not generate much in the press afterwards.

http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/article/N-Y-man-found-dead-in-Sherman-3635728.php

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 20:20
A slightly more accurate location is given as:

The body was found a quarter of a mile northwest of the Appalachian Trail and half a mile southwest of the intersection of Route 72 and Route 443 in Union Township.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Police-investigating-badly-decomposed-body-found/yWwbVJBZCEa0d8Wec669XA.cspx

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2012, 20:28
Before posting please remember that this person's family might very well read what you write, please keep any dumb, rude or irrelevant comments to yourself.

This is a thread about an actual person that died. They probably had friends and family that cared about them deeply.

This is also an Internet message board, which means it is publicly accessible and messages posted here show up in google searches.

Twice in the last year, discussions that have started about deaths on the trail were read and commented on bt friends and family of the deceased. What you post might be funny to you, but it's not funny to those who are grieving. :mad:

Don H
10-21-2012, 20:32
That's near Swatara State Park

johnnybgood
10-21-2012, 20:51
Honest question : If this were your relative wouldn't you want some solace from others ?

A person has lost his/her life near the AT. Lets be respectful here folks.

HikerMom58
10-21-2012, 21:08
No prob. .... I hope they can find out, soon, who he is and why he died. :(

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2012, 21:47
I agree JBG and I have made a mistake.

HikerMom58
10-21-2012, 21:52
I agree JBG and I have made a mistake.

Well, my respect for you just went wayyy up... that's really "big" of u, WOO. Those words don't come easy for most of us. :)

Lone Wolf
10-21-2012, 22:17
Folks LW has a history over the years of seeing if he can get into a posting fight and has successfully got a few people kicked off and a few times ended up taking a sabbatical. LW go **** yourself.

I do care about people.
no fight on my end. you judged a man by his clothing and gear. you're way wrong.

turtle fast
10-21-2012, 22:55
What do you think, a stealth camp or blazing his own trail?

Feral Bill
10-21-2012, 23:13
We'll likely never know what happened, unless an autopsy shows something. At least the family will probably find out about their loss.

swjohnsey
10-22-2012, 08:56
State police said they may have the identity of a male whose body was found by a hunter Thursday near the Appalachian Trail and Route 443 in Union Township.
On Sunday, Trooper Erica Miller said police believe they know the identity of the male based on items that were found at his campsite. She said they are waiting for the results of a dental-records examination, which would take several days. Miller said the male died several months ago. The body was badly decomposed, she said.

ki0eh
10-22-2012, 14:43
Well Hikers do not go to Cabelas or Bass Pro....

They have to in Harrisburg, no outfitter here anymore - 45 min to EMS Lancaster or 1.5 hr to REI Timonium.

Malto
10-22-2012, 16:03
That location is only about 20 minutes from my house. Good that they may have an ID. I'm sure I will be hearing from everyone how dangerous it is to go hiking alone.

Hairbear
10-22-2012, 18:04
deepest regard to family and friends...

bamboo bob
10-22-2012, 18:07
" they know the identity of the male based on items that were found at his campsite." His wallet?

bamboo bob
10-22-2012, 18:09
Don't assume foul play. I thought when my times up I might just wander off trail. set up my tent and lay down. If they let me out of the home.

Hairbear
10-22-2012, 18:41
Don't assume foul play. I thought when my times up I might just wander off trail. set up my tent and lay down. If they let me out of the home.plus 1....

SassyWindsor
10-22-2012, 19:36
What do you think, a stealth camp or blazing his own trail?

A homeless person, or less likely, a person on the run.

TOW
10-22-2012, 20:44
Anyone ever hear anyhting more about the hiker that was found a short distance from the trail here in Virginia last year?

Del Q
10-22-2012, 20:50
Things like this just stinks!

When I served on a SAR team there is good and not so good with these kind of stories.

Closure, info, tough stuff!!

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2012, 20:53
Anyone ever hear anyhting more about the hiker that was found a short distance from the trail here in Virginia last year?

there has not been any new information on Scott Lilly.

Blissful
10-23-2012, 20:20
This is always sad to hear, esp for the family.

shelb
10-24-2012, 00:48
there has not been any new information on Scott Lilly.

I hope the person responsible for Scott's death is found some day. We ran into Scott on the trail, and he provided great encouragement to our young teens about the necessity of staying in school.

chiefduffy
10-24-2012, 04:27
Don't assume foul play. I thought when my times up I might just wander off trail. set up my tent and lay down. If they let me out of the home.

+ 2.
My thoughts and prayers to the family.

TOW
10-24-2012, 08:00
There has been much death on and along the trail corridor here in the last two to three years. I know some have been due to accident or natural but how many have been Scott Lily types?

coach lou
10-24-2012, 08:25
TOW.... I asked a similar question earlier in the season, it got insane. I begged the Gator to close it. My original question never really got answered.

atmilkman
10-24-2012, 08:36
+ 2.
My thoughts and prayers to the family.
+3
My deepest sympathy and prayers to the family and friends. I hope they find peaceful closure.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 08:44
Hey Coach ... I hear ya. I wanted to be "in the know" in 2008 when my daughter was hiking the trail by herself. By golly, I wanted to talk someone who has info like this. I got lucky & was given a reliable contact # . I got general info about peeps on the trail that "they" know about. Nothing specific (they can't share) but at least he didn't blow me off & was super nice and understanding towards me. He said there were "red flag" types of peeps on the trail & he even gave me general areas in which they were in... I processed all the info, like any mom would, and determined that the trail is safe, generally speaking. Obviously, it isn't safe 100% of the time... welcome to our world.

turtle fast
10-24-2012, 10:04
With our media today we are accustomed to hearing about a loss of life by the hands of others. While in most cases that this could simply be someone who unfortunately suffered from a stroke, heart attack, or hypothermia.

Alligator
10-24-2012, 20:30
Enough bickering folks, let's keep to the thread topic. Thanks.

Ktaadn
10-25-2012, 08:45

Really? You want to die looking at the inside of a tent and be found this way a couple months later? Can I ask why?

Spirit Walker
10-29-2012, 19:49
From the Lebanon police blotter:
The body of a man found dead in a tent near the Appalachian Trail in Union Township has been identified.
The badly decomposed body of Allen J. Kliss, 29, East Hanover Township, Dauphin County, was found by a hunter on Oct. 18 inside a tent near the hiking trail and the intersection of routes 443 and 72, state police at Lickdale said. Items inside the tent included an East Pennsboro Soccer T-shirt and other personal items.

Kliss's next of kin were notified on Monday, police said. The autopsy revealed no evidence of foul play, but the cause of Kliss' death remains under investigation.

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 19:56
Wow... that's sad. So young. I hope they can figure this one out sooner rather than later....

WingedMonkey
10-29-2012, 20:13
Toxicology tests are pending, but the body was so far decomposed that it will probably be hard to get results, police said.

Kliss was reported as missing in June, police said.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/10/body_found_near_appalachian_tr_1.html

Rain Man
10-30-2012, 08:37
WOW... just finished a section hike there on Saturday. Condolences to the family and friends of this man. I hate to hear about hikers' deaths, but take some solace that it was out in nature and not hooked to tubes in some hospital rooms for months. My choice would be ... in the woods.

Rain Man

wicca witch
10-30-2012, 08:51
Joseph Allen Kliss age 29 is identified