PDA

View Full Version : Miles per day?

zcalla20
10-22-2012, 08:07
Just out of curiosity... what is everyone's miles per day average?

barf_jay
10-22-2012, 08:13
This is a tough question, everyone is different. My average is 12-14 miles per day. This is with a 30 lb pack. Lots of variables play into this, terrain, pack weight, conditioning, etc...You will need to get out and do some 'shake down' hikes and hike until you are tired, then try the same distance the next day and see how you fare. Your body will tell you when it's time to stop.

Starchild
10-22-2012, 08:43
Agree with barf_jay (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?36082-barf_jay) A lot will factor into that, the 12-14 is a good baseline but that's all it is. Terrain, shelter/campsite locations will play a big factor. The other factor is physical condition and comfort level, while pushing yourself from time to time can be helpful, you don't want to stive for something that is not right for you. Also for a long distance hike such as the AT your rate of 'getting your trail legs' (more miles) may be different from other people.

The best thing is just get out there and do it, find and set your own pace and let it grow as you are ready.

Peace

zcalla20
10-22-2012, 08:47
I average around 9-10 miles a day (I'm a relatively new hiker)

I'm more curious as to how I stack up with other more experienced hikers

So feel free to brag away lol

snifur
10-22-2012, 08:56
Check out my partial journal here on WB. It starts out at Springer and runs to HF. It lists out mileage from the beginning and you can see how the miles progress and i have averaged out for each week. I stopped recording the info after HF because to be honest it was a pain to type.

hypnolobster
10-22-2012, 09:01
I generally average about 18-25 a day, but I'll still do a 10-15 mile day if I'm ahead of schedule or something. My baseweight is between 5 and 7lbs depending on season, and I prefer to keep moving during the daylight.

jeffmeh
10-22-2012, 09:02
map man has compiled statistics on AT NOBO pace. I played around with some graphical representations documented at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82476-Map-Man-s-Mean-Miles-Day-in-a-Visual&highlight=

fredmugs
10-22-2012, 10:42
(Hours of daylight - 1) * 2. Unless I'm in NH or ME then it's 1.5.

Zippy Morocco
10-22-2012, 10:55
Fredmugs equation seems like a good one. I tend to slow way down after about 17 miles in tough terrain.

snifur
10-22-2012, 10:56
fredmugs, that is a very similar equation to what i use when hiking unfamiliar trails and terrain. i use (HoD-2)*2 =miles.

Zippy Morocco
10-22-2012, 11:00
Fredmugs equation seems like a good one. I tend to slow way down after about 17 miles in tough terrain.

chiefiepoo
10-22-2012, 11:59
Just came back from a Smokys section hike. With trail side social stops, water up's, lunch, vista viewing, pictures etc., I'm doing a mile for every 40 min between start and stopping at the end of the day. I'm carrying about 35lbs. I know what I can do 1/10th of a mile in varying terrain types. Steep uphill, starting a section hike I do a 1/10 in 7min. Favorable terrain is slightly less than 3 min per 1/10th.

garlic08
10-22-2012, 12:07
I think it depends greatly on your experience. My first thru hike was the PCT, where it's pretty much necessary to keep 17 to 18 mpd pace if you want to complete a NOBO hike. On the CDT, I had to step that up a bit, where the trail is just a little longer and the season is not, so I made about 19. On the AT, I had my gear dialed in and my hiking style where I wanted it, and made just over 20 mpd. That was surprising, because all the "experts" were saying the AT is harder and would slow down the pace, but that was not my experience. When I went on to hike the Arizona Trail, there were some level desert stretches with 40 miles between water sources and I came very close to hiking those in one day. I was hiking 90 miles in three days pretty often, during some shorter early spring days, too. Then I met a few hikers who were hiking 90 miles in two days! Wow.

joshuasdad
10-22-2012, 21:23
(12 hours - (20 minutes * elevation gain/500 ft)) * 2 if doing a full day.

tdoczi
10-22-2012, 23:43
I average around 9-10 miles a day (I'm a relatively new hiker)

I'm more curious as to how I stack up with other more experienced hikers

So feel free to brag away lol

do you really average 9-10 miles a **day** or are you just not hiking all day?

to me, how you define a day is the biggest issue, terrain is second, experience is third. in mid june in someplace like shenandoah, anyone can walk in excess of 20 miles if youre conditioned to walk during all or most of the available daylight. conversely, no one can walk all day if a day is 15 hours long and only walk 9 miles when the day is over.

since youre new the best thing i can tell you is you can walk much further than you think you can, dont be afraid to try, despite what some fear mongers around here might say.

leaftye
10-23-2012, 00:03
I'm sure the trail makes a big difference. On the PCT I've been able to do 20 mpd on short winter days. I've never stretched my legs on longer days though. My longest day was 23 miles, but I took one long break in the middle of the day and then stopped early. Most of my hikes in the past year or so have been like that. That is, I'll do something like 14 miles with lots of time doing other stuff.

Doing a lot of miles is mostly about time management. Get up at first light. Be on the trail 10 minutes later. Keep breaks to 5 minutes. Stop hiking when the sun starts to hit the horizon. When your body is ready for it, which is mostly about blister prevention, you'll get your miles in. It won't even matter if you're a slow hiker.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 01:01
yep.. lots of variables.. sometimes going shorter or longer sets up the next day(s).. especially true when you are using shelters. sometimes you are tired and decide to kick off early or take a big break.. sometimes you get motivated and aim for something big

jesse
10-23-2012, 01:50
We got equations now?

Hairbear
10-23-2012, 05:14
strangest thing i never gave two.....about miles until i started planning my thru hike.i usually spend more time admiring the birds and wishing i could fly if just for the day,or following game trails just to see the animals.now that im training hard i can get a long way from where i started and have alot of cofidence of what i can do.the miles always change with the path,but i go until i get to melt down in my legs then i know its time to camp.the hike back will be on worked legs so your endurance grows steadily.

trapper
10-23-2012, 07:15
I think it depends greatly on your experience. My first thru hike was the PCT, where it's pretty much necessary to keep 17 to 18 mpd pace if you want to complete a NOBO hike. On the CDT, I had to step that up a bit, where the trail is just a little longer and the season is not, so I made about 19. On the AT, I had my gear dialed in and my hiking style where I wanted it, and made just over 20 mpd. That was surprising, because all the "experts" were saying the AT is harder and would slow down the pace, but that was not my experience. When I went on to hike the Arizona Trail, there were some level desert stretches with 40 miles between water sources and I came very close to hiking those in one day. I was hiking 90 miles in three days pretty often, during some shorter early spring days, too. Then I met a few hikers who were hiking 90 miles in two days! Wow.awesome resume...congrats !

RED-DOG
10-23-2012, 08:27
18-20 miles a day. RED-DOG

coach lou
10-23-2012, 08:54
Too many variables in my equation....8-15

Drybones
10-23-2012, 11:39
My target was 20 mi/day, I tried to maintain 16-24 dependant on campsite and water, I averaged 15/day including off days and re-supply. That 2 MPH equation worked well for me. Stop time - start time X 2. I tried to develop the discipline to break at around 10:00 and 2:00, and take an hour at noon to eat and take the shoes off and relax.

Violent Green
10-23-2012, 13:57
Typically, 20-25 mpd on the AT, but there are a lot of times when I enjoy the 12-15mi days just as much. Depends on the mood and the objective. We've cranked it up to 35-40 mpd a couple times and for me that takes such a giant effort I can't sustain it mentally or physically for more than 2-3 days.

I give a lot of respect to the JPD and Ward Leonard's of the world. Granted, the level of training they did to achieve their feats is light years ahead of mine, but cranking out those 40 mile days for months at a time is no joke.

Ryan

TheYoungOne
10-23-2012, 15:05
So far I'm doing 12 to 14 miles, but I section hike in PA and the rocks really slow you down. 2 miles an hour usually is a good guide unless the trail is real rugged, you carrying a lot of weight or you hit a lot of steep elevation changes. Next year I'm shooting for a 20 mile dayhike (with a 5lb pack), just to say I can do it, but I think you enjoy your hike more when you don't treat it like a race.

yellowsirocco
10-23-2012, 17:12
15 usually for me. 12 at the low end and 20 at the high end. My mind needs something to keep busy with so I actually do better with the rougher parts where I have to think. If there is too much easy trail then I am just bored and not motivated. I just can't mindlessly put in 20 miles a day. Now, give me a bicycle where I have to think about momentum, gear selection, legs vs lungs, wind, etc. and I am a happy boy.

Prime Time
10-23-2012, 21:18
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I live, my typical day hike is 10 - 12 miles for a 4 - 5 hour hike. That's with about a 12 pound day pack and includes a 30 minute stop. When backpacking with a 35 pound pack, I average between 15 - 18 miles and hike about 8 - 9 hours. All hikes include at least 2 pretty good climbs.

hikerboy57
10-23-2012, 21:59
give or take 6 or 7 miles

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 22:16
give or take 6 or 7 miles

Perfect answer... ahhhh ha ha!! can I tell u again how much I like u?

leaftye
10-23-2012, 22:19
We got equations now?

If only there were adjustable trekking poles with an integrated slide rule. It's a good thing most people in this thread are old enough to know what a slide rule is, even though most of us probably don't know how to use it...myself included.

Papa D
10-23-2012, 22:26
For me this depends a lot on the season and, of course, what trail (or patch of woods) I might be on. For the AT, 3-season conditions, I typically aim for about 15 or 18 miles per day - - I have done as few as 0 miles and 40+ but 15-18 would be a good working average. In winter conditions, including snow and shorter days, I would drop to the 10-15 mpd range (more or less).

Gray Blazer
10-23-2012, 22:36
If only there were adjustable trekking poles with an integrated slide rule. It's a good thing most people in this thread are old enough to know what a slide rule is, even though most of us probably don't know how to use it...myself included.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.uksrc.org.uk/magazine/ph-musing-02.jpg&sa=X&ei=UVWHUJKhCImo9gTskIDwBA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGqPXK1c6Z7E4mpRumSu9ojnMAaMw​........... .........

Gray Blazer
10-23-2012, 22:37

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.uksrc.org.uk/magazine/ph-musing-02.jpg&sa=X&ei=UVWHUJKhCImo9gTskIDwBA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGqPXK1c6Z7E4mpRumSu9ojnMAaMw​........... ...........

shelb
10-24-2012, 00:43
It totally depends on length of time hiking (fitness), trail conditions (elevation climbs, etc.),. and motivation (which might mean you have nothing else to do but hike, or you really want to reach that next destination).

garlic08
10-24-2012, 09:34

Now those are the good old days I do NOT miss. I still don't carry a cell phone, but I was the among the first to get a calculator.

joshuasdad
10-24-2012, 10:31
Cliff's Notes version of my equation (and yes, I have used a slide rule).

On a full day hiking, I hike about 12 hours, even in the winter. If the trail were flat, I would hike 24 miles, averaging 2 mph. Total distance is affected by elevation gain. This includes even those little ups and downs. Take off 2 miles for every 1500 feet of elevation gain, because I either hike more slowly, or lose the desire to hike 12 hours.

In reality, as a section hiker, a full day hiking is the exception. I need time to get to, or come off of the trail. Or sometimes, logistics so not allow me to do a full day. For example, on a long weekend, I hiked 8 (noon start, trail up from NOC), 13 (short day because of logistics), 21 (full day, faster than usual though, because of perfect outdoor temperature), and 8 (logistics, needed to be off trail by 1 pm). The next weekend was 17 + 16, but that was also affected by logistics (Smokies require reservations):

So I "average" 15 miles or so each day I do some hiking. But really, it just depends...

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 11:45

there's an app for that...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slide-rule/id288454455?mt=8

my gf is a math teacher and knows how they work.. i think it involves voodoo.

Spirit Bear
10-24-2012, 11:47
When you're starting out 6-10 mile days.

After 500 miles and into virginia 15-25 mile days