PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on Sea To Summit Ultra-Light Packcover

chall
10-22-2012, 08:52
Hey all,

I just purchased a Sea To Summit Ultra-Light Packcover after much internal debate about justifying the expense for it. How has this held up for you? I started looking at some reviews and there have been many tear complaints. If that's the case, I may return it for the $25 EMS brand pack cover. Thanks!

Zipper
10-22-2012, 10:14
Has worked fine for me.

Hosaphone
10-22-2012, 11:46
I'm not really a fan of pack covers... You can't be guaranteed that your stuff will stay dry, so you end up needing to put any important stuff (sleeping bag, clothes, etc) in waterproof bags inside the pack anyways. Just skip the cover and get a pack liner imo. Trash compacter bag (not regular trash bags,... the compacter bags are much more durable), nylofume bag, cuben one from Zpacks, etc.

Dogwood
10-22-2012, 14:40
I've had a single Sea to Summit UL silny pack cover weighing less than .6 oz. It has held up fine during 7 thru-hikes of 900 miles or more each. I think I bought mine at an EMS applying a rebate and gear dollars so it cost me in the neighborhood of $12 -15.

Since another poster weighed in I'll also. I don't like to have a wet backpack on the outside. First, it means carrying a wet pack and the extra water wt, although I suppose you could spray the outside of the pack with a durable DWR or equivalent WP agent and just do an internal liner and possibly WP stuffsacks in really inclement wet weather. But I also store gear that I don't want to get wet on the outside of my pack in mesh pockets like my camera which I want to keep readily handy for pics, Mp3 player, daily on-the-go snacks, gloves, merino wool beanie, wind/rain jacket, extra shirt, etc. But do what works best for your hiking style.

Hosaphone
10-22-2012, 21:20
Dogwood makes a good point - if your pack absorbs water, it's going to easily be worth the weight to carry and use a pack cover. As always, I suppose it comes down to personal preference and your own specific gear setup.

turtle fast
10-22-2012, 21:25
Also try having a soaking wet pack in a solo shelter (for those with little to no vestiuble).

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 10:06
Dogwood makes a good point - if your pack absorbs water, it's going to easily be worth the weight to carry and use a pack cover. As always, I suppose it comes down to personal preference and your own specific gear setup.

except the most absorbent part.. your shoulder straps, waist straps and back pad are still doing to be wet.

trash compactor bag inside to contain sleeping bag, insulation and spare clothes. Electronics in ziplocs. the rest can get wet.. but in my pack it still doesn't since it is water resistant (2mi pouring rain, no leaks)

leaftye
10-23-2012, 10:08
I access the front pocket of my pack about a dozen times throughout the day. A pack cover would drive me bonkers.

1azarus
10-23-2012, 10:20
so many packs have external net pockets now. mine do and i love them. i bring a pack cover partly to keep my pack from getting heavy/wet, and mostly to keep the stuff in my external pockets dry. all my equipment won't fit inside the pack -- i need to use the external pockets! i use a plastic bag for everything in my pack, too... and not a single stuff sack. never had a problem. ...and light is good. i say keep the cover if you like covers. just be careful with it.

Dogwood
10-23-2012, 11:38
Sorry, I got the wt of that small Sea to Summit UL Cordura pack cover wrong. I went to the PO this morning to weigh it. It comes out to 1.8 oz. I guess that must be a deal breaker for those who are bigger gram counters than me. I guess Zpacks cuben packcover has to be added to my Christmas Gear Wish list.

Burly Buck
10-23-2012, 12:52
What about wearing a poncho in really wet weather? Wouldn't that keep you and your whole pack dry and still be able to access web pockets?

leaftye
10-23-2012, 13:09
What about wearing a poncho in really wet weather? Wouldn't that keep you and your whole pack dry and still be able to access web pockets?

Yes, and that's why I've been using a poncho lately. The pack can be removed and accessed under the poncho, and then put back on. It's a nice way to keep everything dry. It does help to have a compact pack though. If you have a foam pad roll on top of your pack, it'll probably be a big hassle. Some ponchos don't have side snaps or velcro, and I bet those are the reason why some people hate ponchos so much and claim that they'll get you wet if it's windy.

chall
10-23-2012, 14:59
Thanks for all your feedback. I, like Dogwood, do not like having a wet pack. I'll also use a dry bag for my sleeping and insulation essentials. But yes, I think I'll be hanging on to the Sea to Summit. It seems like a good investment, and I'll be testing it out this weekend. Rain is in the forecast for the 30mi hike on the West Rim Trail, PA. :D

handlebar
10-26-2012, 19:56
Thanks for all your feedback. I, like Dogwood, do not like having a wet pack. I'll also use a dry bag for my sleeping and insulation essentials. But yes, I think I'll be hanging on to the Sea to Summit. It seems like a good investment, and I'll be testing it out this weekend. Rain is in the forecast for the 30mi hike on the West Rim Trail, PA. :D

From the weather reports, you'll get a good dousing from the combination of hurricane remnants and a large low pressure cell. Hiked it last weekend and the fall colors were in decline. Suspect most of the leaves will be off now for improved views. Have a great hike!

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2012, 20:06
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77461
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20256

Never needed a cover - always used a 20qt kitchen garbage bag inside the pack and a Poncho... Works the same....just dual purpose.

Texico
10-26-2012, 21:59
I have the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil 50L pack liner which I use to hold everything that absolute needs to stay dry. To keep my pack (mostly) dry I also use the Ultra Sil Pack Cover in the 50-70L persuasion. For 6.5oz all together I think I'm willing to carry the weight. If that amount puts me over a "weight limit" where my enjoyment decreases then I need to rethink some of my other gear choices. I'm lightweight to ultralight for all of my other gear, so the two together work well for me.