PDA

View Full Version : AT section hike: Damascus - Atkins VA

Praha4
10-22-2012, 11:50
Just finished this great fall section hike last Wed, here's a link to Trail Journal photos. Hike was 4 days, 10/14 - 10/17. Weather was great overall.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=700735

Ya'll that live up that way are lucky to live in such a beautiful area of the country, especially during October! I loved Grayson Highlands, my first time thru that section, and also plan on a return to Damascus sometime to ride the Creeper Trail.

Met a lot of southbounder AT thru-hikers last week who said they started in Maine in mid-late June. The strangest coincidence was seeing a Shelter log entry by El Flaco at Thomas Knob Shelter from last Sunday morning, 10/14. I got to Thomas Knob shelter Mon afternoon 10/15, just missed him by a day. Dude sorry I missed ya, would have been great to catchup. maybe another time.

Back in NW Florida, it's actually finally getting into our hiking season in Florida now, cooler nights and fewer bugs.

kolokolo
10-23-2012, 19:17
Those are some beautiful pictures, Praha4. I have wanted to hike that section for a while, and this makes me look forward to it even more. It looks like you chose a great time of year to go, too. Partnership Shelter looks like quite a fancy place.

Maybe next year I'll finally get there!:)

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 08:21
Thanks for sharing... I've always wanted to see Partnership shelter :)... the pics are really good!! :)

Praha4
10-24-2012, 09:33
thanks, it was a great time to hike that section!

I forgot to mention.... In AWOL's 2012 AT Guide, it states the Grayson Highlands State Park Camp Store is open til Oct 31st. Actually, this year the Camp Store and Visitor Center's last day of operation was Sunday, 10/14. Also, the water at Partnership Shelter's shower was already shutoff when I passed there on Wed, 10/17. I don't know if this was just this year, but I'm going to email AWOL about it to let him know.

SawnieRobertson
10-24-2012, 17:47
Those photos are excellent. Is it the camera or the photographer? Please share about the camera regardless.--Kinnickinic

Praha4
10-24-2012, 19:27
camera was a Canon Powershot A2300. Bought at Best Buy 2 months ago.