PDA

View Full Version : Stoves?

dturb
10-22-2012, 11:50
I'm looking at 3 stoves and was wondering if anyone had any input...

Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator
MSR MicroRocket
Kovea Camp 56 (KB-0707)

Thanks!!

dturb
10-23-2012, 15:35
Anyone????

Starchild
10-23-2012, 15:48
2 out of the 3 are available at REI with customer reviews, perhaps that can help narrow your choice down to 2.

I personally like built in autoignition and it is one less lighter in my pack so it saves me weight. If that is the case for you also I suggest adding in the weight of a lighter to ones w/o autoignition.

zelph
11-02-2012, 17:00
Interesting......no input on one out of the three.

UofWHusky
11-02-2012, 20:12
I have two of the three stoves, a Pocket Rocket, the predecessor of the Micro Rocket, and a Soto OD-1R. The Pocket Rocket focused the heat in a small area giving me a tiny hot spot on the bottom of my pot. I prefer the Soto with its larger flame area. I recall reading some burn test data (from Backpacker magazine IIRC) that indicated slightly faster boil times for the Soto as well. I recently bought a Soto windscreen for the OD-1R stove and believe that has improved performance. I plan on using the Soto on my AT thru in 2013.

JaxHiker
11-02-2012, 21:29
I have quite a few stoves. From the canister side the two top ones are the Giga LiteMax and the Soto. I'd say I like them both about the same. I haven't compared them head to head but lately I've been taking the alcohol stoves out more. I bought the Soto specifically for cold-weather use so I don't have to sleep with my canister. :)

I personally like built in autoignition and it is one less lighter in my pack so it saves me weight. If that is the case for you also I suggest adding in the weight of a lighter to ones w/o autoignition.
I've had the piezo igniters fail as have many others. I much prefer having a more reliable source of ignition. At least carry a lighter as a backup.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 21:33
Anyone????
we were hoping you would buy them all and get back to us.:)
i use a pocket rocket but i mostly boil water. its simple and has a fast boil time.
dont know about the other two

Onsen
11-03-2012, 02:15
I have the micro rocket & camp 56......the micro rocket packs taller, while the camp 56 packs wider.
Both are reliable, small, light, canister stoves, the mini rocket has a bunsen burner straight up flame throw, while
the camp 56 has a wider flame, suiting wider base pots.
The compact nature of the camp 5 fits nicely into my GSI minimalist pot. :cool:
It's down to personal preference.
Hope that helps.....

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Stoves/PB030001Small.jpg
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Stoves/PB030002Small.jpg
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Stoves/PB030008Small.jpg

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 13:23
I have the micro rocket & camp 56......the micro rocket packs taller, while the camp 56 packs wider.
Both are reliable, small, light, canister stoves, the mini rocket has a bunsen burner straight up flame throw, while
the camp 56 has a wider flame, suiting wider base pots.
The compact nature of the camp 5 fits nicely into my GSI minimalist pot. :cool:
It's down to personal preference.
Hope that helps.....http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Stoves/PB030008Small.jpg

how do you like the Kovea stove? any issues at all with it?

Onsen
11-12-2012, 18:02
Both stoves are made by kovea, one is a micro rocket...just with a different name stamped on the side.
Getting the rockets legs into pot holding position is a two stage affair, swing all 3 legs verticle one by one,
then down the last little bit, otherwise they tangle with each other.
It's no big deal, just grates on me a bit....hence I use the kovea camp 56 more often.
Apart from that, they're both solid, reliable items & damn fine burners to boot. :cool:

.....via tapatalk.

CarlZ993
11-12-2012, 18:23
By my measurements:
MSR PocketRocket = 4.2 oz (w/ plastic case); no auto-igniter
Snow Peak Giga Power Titanium = 4.0 oz (w/ plastic case); includes auto-igniter
Soto Stove = 3.0 oz (w/ mini-stuff sack); includes auto-igniter

I've used all three. The Snow Peak has been used the most. The PocketRocket is the cheapest. No discernible differences in the field. In the future, I'll probably be using the Soto stove more. Save an ounce.