PDA

View Full Version : The last thru hiker!!!!

Malto
10-22-2012, 21:51
There is a epic feat happening as we read this. Swami has just completed both the PCT and CDT so far this year and October 17th he left Katahdin Sobo to finish the AT by years end. He has been very strong so far but he will need a bit a luck and many guts. Good luck to swami, he should be well into Maine by this point. Good luck Swami!!!

leaftye
10-23-2012, 02:08
That's quite a feat. Isn't it already getting cold out there?

If there's a link to a blog or journal, please post the link.

Malto
10-23-2012, 07:35
Here's the link to the October entries. http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/2012/10/

His Katahdin photo has snow in it. But he has been cranking out 40 mile days and while he likely won't hit quite that up north, he will soon clear the whites. I just hope he makes it through the window.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 10:35
that's nuts.. should be doable though.. it is only like 21mi average

Slo-go'en
10-23-2012, 10:40
While there have been a lot of rainy days lately, the summits often in the clouds and some really windy days where being above tree line would be a real struggle, the temps haven't been all that bad. Definately chilly in the mornings, but not too many below freezing. We get a week or two of nasty weather the end of Sept or early October, then a couple of weeks of Indian summer mid/late October before it gets nasty again for good. He hit that Indian summer window pretty good this year. Now that we're into the last week of October, can't last too much longer.

max patch
10-23-2012, 11:00
that's nuts.. should be doable though.. it is only like 21mi average

I think you need a new calculator.:)

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:58
woops.. i read it that he had gotten to the Whites and was thinking 1500mi in 70 days.. so add a bit more to that :)

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:59
Ok so i'm a lot off 1500 isn't till Ct .. i have a cold and my brain isn't working. blahhh

Slo-go'en
10-23-2012, 12:23
I just noticed there is freash snow on the summits of Adams and Madison from this weekends storms and there were some hurricane force winds up there as the fronts come and went, so I hope he made it through or hunkered down somewhere.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 13:44
I just noticed there is freash snow on the summits of Adams and Madison from this weekends storms and there were some hurricane force winds up there as the fronts come and went, so I hope he made it through or hunkered down somewhere.

he left katahdin 7 days ago so he ain't nowhere near the whites

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 14:14
That is soo cool... Man, I'm pulling for him!! I hope those Whites will be kind to him. It's 80 degress today in VA... wish we could ship this weather up north for him!

Slo-go'en
10-23-2012, 16:07
he left katahdin 7 days ago so he ain't nowhere near the whites

No doubt it's been just as nasty north of here, or more so. But today would be a great day to be hiking, as was last Friday. The rest of last week, not so much. But it looks like we're in for a nice streach of weather until the next front gets here in a week or so.

stumpknocker
10-23-2012, 18:08
There is a epic feat happening as we read this. Swami has just completed both the PCT and CDT so far this year and October 17th he left Katahdin Sobo to finish the AT by years end. He has been very strong so far but he will need a bit a luck and many guts. Good luck to swami, he should be well into Maine by this point. Good luck Swami!!!

It's not just those two trails...I met him earlier this year as he was closing in on the finish of the Florida National Scenic Trail.

He said he hadn't seen another hiker in quite some time. I seem to remember him saying something about having already walked other trails, but I never had to chance to check his blog out.

Here is a link that he gave me; The Hiking Life-Twelve Long Walks; 15,000 miles, 30 states, 4 provinces and 35 pairs of shoes (http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/)

Nice guy.

woodsy
10-23-2012, 20:28
Snowed on Saddleback last week and probably other 4K's in the area .

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/18/living/october-blizzard-with-a-peak-bagging-friend/

Feral Bill
10-23-2012, 22:37
At least he won't have to worry about bugs and snakes.

atmilkman
10-23-2012, 23:15
At least he won't have to worry about bugs and snakes.
No bugs, no snakes, all well and good. But, is he enjoying himself. Is he getting back to nature. Is he taking the time to smell the roses (through the snow). Is he taking the time to make small talk and make new friends for life or is he just trying to "git er' done". Is he really a true thru-hiker?

Donde
10-23-2012, 23:23
Having read some of his trip reports it sounds like he has had a blast met cool people and has some great photos of all the beautiful sights he has seen. Also after 15-16 months and 12-13 thousand miles and completing the PCT,CDT,GDT,FT,OT,SH,SS,IAT,SHT,PNT,SHR, and now starting the AT, I'm betting he could give a **** if you or anybody else wishes to bestow a title upon him. Go HYOH dude.

Rasty
10-24-2012, 00:12
Having read some of his trip reports it sounds like he has had a blast met cool people and has some great photos of all the beautiful sights he has seen. Also after 15-16 months and 12-13 thousand miles and completing the PCT,CDT,GDT,FT,OT,SH,SS,IAT,SHT,PNT,SHR, and now starting the AT, I'm betting he could give a **** if you or anybody else wishes to bestow a title upon him. Go HYOH dude.

I think the milkman was being sarcastic. :)

Donde
10-24-2012, 00:14
See people this is what emoticons are for:D

Feral Bill
10-24-2012, 00:29
See people this is what emoticons are for:D I didn't need an emoticon to see the sarcasm. Perhaps I'm gifted.

atmilkman
10-24-2012, 07:54
I think the milkman was being sarcastic. :)
You think.:) :D

Violent Green
10-24-2012, 13:49
Even in a mild winter the odds are stacked against him between the snow, blow downs, and extra weight of winter gear. Best of luck to him though. That would be an awesome feat of endurance and fortitude.

Ryan

Malto
11-17-2012, 10:10
Looks like Swami has hit his stride. His journal is about a week behind but is suspect he is somewhere around mile 800 by now. His last update from VT had him up to about 30mpd in VT but he will have to average about 32/day to finish by the end of the year and accomplish a calendar year triple crown for only the third time. Hopefully the weather will continue to be be like the near perfect weather we have in PA right now.

I saw Bamboo Bob made a guest appearance in his journal. How is his frame of mind?

HikerMom58
11-17-2012, 11:34
............So cool........:cool:

wren again
11-17-2012, 23:51
Hope he can do it!

Don H
11-18-2012, 15:58
Looks like Swami has hit his stride. His journal is about a week behind but is suspect he is somewhere around mile 800 by now. His last update from VT had him up to about 30mpd in VT but he will have to average about 32/day to finish by the end of the year and accomplish a calendar year triple crown for only the third time. Hopefully the weather will continue to be be like the near perfect weather we have in PA right now.

30 mpd between Katahdin and VT is outstanding. His average will only increase as he gets further south.
Hope he makes it!

wren again
12-29-2012, 10:46
He did it! Amazing. He finished on December 28th.
Here's his journal. http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/tag/cam-honan/