PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Airlines

scs
10-23-2012, 02:09
Hello everyone! I am working through the logistics of my SOBO hike and am considering using Spirit Airlines to get to Boston, and then Concord Coach Lines to get to Bangor. Now first of all, I am aware that Spirit is a "low-cost carrier" and that I should not expect the service to be anything better than dreadful. However, the money I would save in airfare is tempting, and considering the journey I will be embarking on a little discomfort on a flight ranks pretty low on my list of priorities.

What I AM concerned about though are hidden fees and how they will handle my pack. As far as I can see, there should just be a $28 baggage fee in addition to the airfare. I'm also worried about arriving in Boston with my pack and its contents destroyed and/or lost.

Anyone have any experience with Spirit? Are they too good to be true?

Lyle
10-23-2012, 08:51
I USED to fly Spirit. That is, until I flew out to Reno with them and had two crews of the most rude, uninterested flight attendants I've ever seen. The only smiles I saw on their faces was while they were talking with the Captain and other crew members. Passengers only received scowls and "attitude", to the point of having one poke her finger in my chest because I tapped her on the shoulder after she ignored the passenger next to me as he called out to her (very politely) numerous times for some assistance. I was never so happy to get off of a plane, and swore I would never fly with them again.

Sailing_Faith
10-23-2012, 09:09
I fly Spirit. I returned from Columbia (after a sailboat delivery) on Spirit.... I paid $277 while the next lowest fair was over $1300.... They got me home with my gear for very little money. A domestic flight is short enough already that it is not too hard to suck up the occasional tough flight.

Just another opinion.

Lyle
10-23-2012, 09:34
I don't mind added fees, fewer frills, slower baggage handling to go along with low fares. But there is NO EXCUSE for rudeness when you are in the service business. It costs no more to smile than to scowl. I refuse to reward a business that seems to disdain it's customers. The more folks accept this type of behavior, the more of it we'll see.

rhjanes
10-23-2012, 12:10
Our daughter made a reservation with them. She DID screw it up. they took the money, refused to even negotiate another flight! They cancelled her return flight, even though she had NOT messed that part of the itenerary up and refused to refund any money. They also refused when SHE offered to book a new flight in one direction and use the return flight. They lost a 21 year old girls business....for life. She flew out Southwest and was pleased with the fees (lack of), the people and the on-time flight.

Dogwood
10-23-2012, 12:38
I haven't flown Spirit lately mainly because there are so many other airline carriers that have similar competitive pricing.

DO BEWARE of Spirits charge for baggage!!! It's excessive in my opinion. On some of Spirit's supposedly really cheap flights you may eventually be paying more when compared to other major airlines who DO NOT charge those 'EXTRA" fees!

Not to get a hoity toity nose stuck in the air attitude, but another aspect that is rarely considered, when you have traveling options, is that when you travel on the lowest cost alternative it tends to attract, let's say, a certain customer base. This is who you will be surrounding yourself with for the duration of your flight. I also believe this type of customer base DOES NOT get the level of customer service that might be provided elsewhere. Personally, I appreciate and demand excellent customer service when I travel. For example, I've used the "Dog"(Greyhound) on some of my travels to hiking destinations. There is, let's say, a certain customer base traveling on the Dog particularly on fri, sat, and sun nights. I tend to avoid taking the Dog on those days. And, the level of customer service on the Dog is really a hit or miss situation. It's the same with airlines. But, I too will sometimes bite the bullet and take the lowest cost traveling alternative because it fits my budget. It helps for me to see the bigger goal, me at the trail head, when I have to do that. Yippee!

Burly Buck
10-23-2012, 12:40
Flew from Detroit to Mexico (Cancun) and back. They never lost our luggage, of course it was a direct flight lol. It is by large a "not frills"operation. The charge for bottled water. Cost wise for us wasn't that cheap either. Not much more then a seat on a plane. Not great service but we made there and back. I have flown on better air lines. Spirit charges for everything. Our plans were made thru a travel agent so we were stuck with what ever airlines they go with. In the future we would more than likely choose another air line.