PDA

View Full Version : What's the hurry thru-guys?!

evansprater
10-23-2012, 04:23
So I've been on the trail 14 days now noBo and met a ton of SoBo thru hikers since I started... Every single one of which has said they have been averaging 20-25 miles a day for months now. I don't get it. Every personal account I've read of the trail has said take it slow, ENJOY it, have FUN. My definition of fun on the trail is 10-15 miles a day, getting to a shelter mid afternoon, followed by meeting some great, interesting people at the there, socializing over dinner and a fire, going to sleep at 9 or 10, waking up at 7, and being back on the trail by 8. Every thru hiker I've met has not socialized past the "Hi how are you nice to meet you" stage and has gone straight to bed at 8 and woken up at 530 and said they only ever stop in a town for an hour or so I get food then move on. I'm sorry but where is the FUN in that? That's why we're here, on the trail, right? To meet people, see new things, and have fun... Where's the fun in this gung-Ho, sleep-eat-walk-sleep mentality? I know they say to hike your own hike, and I fully intend to do so, I don't care if I take 10 months to complete the trail I care about meeting people, and enjoying my time in the amazing, awesome little towns all along the way. I just don't get why all these thru hikers don't care about doing the same.

gumball
10-23-2012, 05:18
Maybe they are enjoying it, the challenge of going fast and making miles. Maybe what they enjoy is different from what you enjoy. Hence the phrase, hike your own hike. I really don't care to meet people or socialize much--I go hiking and backpacking to get away from people, quite frankly. Doesn't make why you are out there any better or worse than why we go out--just different. When we thru in a few years, we will go SoBo because we don't want to start with the crowds of people.

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-23-2012, 05:42
Your way of enjoying the AT does sound like a lot of fun. There are an infinite variety of other ways folks of all ages, sizes, shapes, and personalities enjoy it, hence the HYOH mantra.

AO

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 06:33
So I've been on the trail 14 days now noBo and met a ton of SoBo thru hikers since I started... Every single one of which has said they have been averaging 20-25 miles a day for months now. I don't get it. Every personal account I've read of the trail has said take it slow, ENJOY it, have FUN. My definition of fun on the trail is 10-15 miles a day, getting to a shelter mid afternoon, followed by meeting some great, interesting people at the there, socializing over dinner and a fire, going to sleep at 9 or 10, waking up at 7, and being back on the trail by 8. Every thru hiker I've met has not socialized past the "Hi how are you nice to meet you" stage and has gone straight to bed at 8 and woken up at 530 and said they only ever stop in a town for an hour or so I get food then move on. I'm sorry but where is the FUN in that? That's why we're here, on the trail, right? To meet people, see new things, and have fun... Where's the fun in this gung-Ho, sleep-eat-walk-sleep mentality? I know they say to hike your own hike, and I fully intend to do so, I don't care if I take 10 months to complete the trail I care about meeting people, and enjoying my time in the amazing, awesome little towns all along the way. I just don't get why all these thru hikers don't care about doing the same.

call me antisocial, but i wouldnt enjoy what you want to do at all. you got a problem with that? what exactly?

most thrus you meet anytime anyplace, once they get going hit 20 a day fairly regularly.

10-K
10-23-2012, 06:56
Try to understand people enjoy things differently.

brotheral
10-23-2012, 06:57
Your mentality / priorities may change as your journey progresses.... Myself, I just like to get out and breathe it all in, but I'm not a "Thru-Hiker". Miles don't matter to me. Have fun and Hike Your Own Hike.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 07:02

thru-hike = hurry up and get through it. it's all about the destination not the journey for most

Starchild
10-23-2012, 07:06
Hikers who choose SoBo chose for various reasons one reason is fewer people hike that direction and there will be limited social interaction and less opportunity and that's what they want.

trapper
10-23-2012, 07:08
you got a problem with that? what exactly?

[/QUOTE]WOW CHILL OUT

rickb
10-23-2012, 07:16
thru-hike = hurry up and get through it. it's all about the destination not the journey for most

I don't think you are suposed to say that in public, Lone Wolf.

Didn't you get the memo?

Of the 13,000+ hikers who claim to have hiked the entire trail, what percentage do you think never spent more than a dozen or so nights in a tent ever again?

Serious question.

The sample of folks here at white blaze is not all that representative on that score.

Malto
10-23-2012, 07:31
Usually when people say they just don't get why someone does something different than they do, they usually are making no attempt to understand why. As far as your question....
1) maybe folks don't have a rich relative that can fund their hike.
2) maybe they have to go back to school, military, peace corp etc and have a limited window.
3) maybe they enjoy walking.
4) maybe they are anxious to get done. You have only been on the trail 14 days. I suspect that your enthusiasm will wane a bit over time.
5) maybe they like the challenge.

I could go on but it is pointless. If you made even half an attempt to understand, you would even if you don't believe it is right for you.

Don H
10-23-2012, 07:37
At some point (at least for me) a thru becomes a goal that just needs to be completed. Most everyone I was with in Maine just wanted to finish and go home.
Some people just quit at this point but many feel they have too much invested in it or just don't have it in them to quit, so they continue.
What you're seeing is people who have been on the trail for months. Unless you've done it it's hard to understand.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 07:39
At some point (at least for me) a thru becomes a goal that just needs to be completed. Most everyone I was with in Maine just wanted to finish and go home.
Some people just quit at this point but many feel they have too much invested in it or just don't have it in them to quit, so they continue.
What you're seeing is people who have been on the trail for months. Unless you've done it it's hard to understand.

my first 2 times i made it to gorham and quit. i had enuf. wasn't gonna force myself through maine for a stupid picture at a sign

RCBear
10-23-2012, 07:42
I hike/backpack in both manners described. And I enjoy both. The reason: I believe its because I make my decision on how I feel and usually allow for that flexibility. to me, if you are so rigid that you don't allow for that and can still truly enjoy yourself, then awesome. I realize that certain hikes need to be more regimented for pace and scheduling, which is what I do on my day hikes of 14ers and my annual 36 mile Rachel Carson AT challenge in Pittsburgh. When "real" backpacking, I am content with 8 hr days of hiking at roughly 2 mph vs 2.5 - 3. tdoczi is very vocal about his style and he had just as much right to enjoy it add you do yours. I get the impression from the lack of levity in most of his posts that he is angry at those that carry more than an 8lb base weight and hike less than 20 in a day.

he probly cuts the handles off his toothbrushes too ;)

snifur
10-23-2012, 07:49
I hiked fast so i could spend the time at the places i felt like with out being interrupted by someone else trying to tell me how to hike and what i am missing. there is nothing worse than someone that just wont shut up or leave you alone. let me hike, let me stop, and let me enjoy it my way. i left camp early each morning so i could enjoy the views of the day without being bothered by someones running opinion like yours. i enjoyed my journey, the destination, dreams, smells, sights, people and my challenges. dont judge me for how i choose to hike. what is your problem? you got a lot to learn about hiking and other people.

Don H
10-23-2012, 07:53
my first 2 times i made it to gorham and quit. i had enuf. wasn't gonna force myself through maine for a stupid picture at a sign

Well I'm glad I didn't quit in Gorham, from there north is the most beautiful part of the trail!

Gray Blazer
10-23-2012, 07:55
Ya gotta love the minimizers. :rolleyes:

Don H
10-23-2012, 07:59

Well I'm glad I didn't quit in Gorham, from there north is the most beautiful part of the trail!

Creek Dancer
10-23-2012, 08:04
Lighten up, people. geez

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 08:14

but i went on to hike maine about 7 times

10-K
10-23-2012, 08:21

Slackpacking all the way! :)

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 08:22

You sound like one satisfied repeat customer!

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 08:26
Slackpacking all the way! :)

not in the way hikers do it today. i carry a full pack

Don H
10-23-2012, 08:27
Just sayin' I'm glad I got to see the best part of the AT.

I know you've thrued multiple times Wolf, you told me that in Quincey's.
We actually met twice in 2011, the other time at Standing Bear. I'm devastated that you don't remember ;)

10-K
10-23-2012, 08:32
not in the way hikers do it today. i carry a full pack

I slackpacked when I stayed at The Cabin so I could stay there an extra day. Other than that, I had a pack on for Maine too. It was hard leaving Monson though.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 08:34
I slackpacked when I stayed at The Cabin so I could stay there an extra day. Other than that, I had a pack on for Maine too. It was hard leaving Monson though.
my first trail name was "the yankee slackpacker". back then it meant you slacked off and did low/slow miles with a pack

RCBear
10-23-2012, 08:35
The inherent problem that I see in the WB forum is that people tend to forget it is about the AT and being on it. it is not called whiteblaze thru hikers or backpacking light on the AT. nor is it called how to do the AT in 6 miles per day with a 70 pound pack. I find that any post that attempts to persuade someone else in matters regarding pack weight and miles per day hiking is completely useless considering that person needs figure it out on their own, so they have a basis of comparison. offering tips or experience that can be helpful in tweaking someone style that is similar to yours is very useful. there really is no need for someone that falls in the ultra light category to offer their opinion on pack weight or miles per day hiked to someone that is not. And vice versa.

garlic08
10-23-2012, 08:36
I really enjoy hiking. A twenty mile day is twice as fun to me as a ten mile day. You might think that's strange, and that's OK.

10-K
10-23-2012, 08:45
I really enjoy hiking. A twenty mile day is twice as fun to me as a ten mile day. You might think that's strange, and that's OK.

I would say a 20 mile day is about 10 times more fun than a ten mile day.

But that's me - some folks like 10 mile days and that's just as cool.

brotheral
10-23-2012, 08:58
Good Morning LW !!
1.) what do you mean by "about 7 times"
2.) where do you stand on "the list" of most Thru Hikes (carrying a full backpack) ??
Thanks.... BrotherAL

WingedMonkey
10-23-2012, 09:03
Every thru hiker I've met has not socialized past the "Hi how are you nice to meet you" stage

By the time a southbounder gets to where you are they have already had enough "meet and greets" with northbounders to make them that way.

They have had northbounders telling them since Maine what they need to see, what the need to eat, how they need to walk, where they need to stay.

It's much easier to nod and move on, than to ask another hiker to shut up.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 09:05
Good Morning LW !!
1.) what do you mean by "about 7 times"
2.) where do you stand on "the list" of most Thru Hikes (carrying a full backpack) ??
Thanks.... BrotherAL
don't know about no lists but i've done 5 complete hikes of the AT plus about 6000 "other" miles.

garlic08
10-23-2012, 09:14

I like your equation better.

atmilkman
10-23-2012, 09:24
don't know about no lists but i've done 5 complete hikes of the AT plus about 6000 "other" miles.
If you wouldn't have stopped in Gorham twice, would that have been 7 thru-hikes?

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 09:24
you got a problem with that? what exactly?

WOW CHILL OUT[/QUOTE]

i'm perfectly chill, tell the guy who is for some reason offended by the way others hike to chill out.

Tipi Walter
10-23-2012, 10:10
A regular backpacking trip can be had on the AT without all the fuss of the "Forced March" and yes, carrying a 75 lb pack and doing 7 mile days is perfectly suitable too. I find the forced march types comical by their behaviors. When you stop to talk to one on the trail they never remove their packs and they're always inching forwards on the trail as if there's someone chasing them. Many of them are totally wired into the shelter system and the Rat Box Connection---that strange affliction to reach a shelter no matter how far it is near the end of a hiking day. It makes me wonder what they would do without shelters.

And it's always fun to watch them "hold court" at a shelter at the end of a thruhiking day of backpacking. Three months on the trail and they've become self-appointed experts on all things hiking and backpacking. Newbs sit around the shelter picnic tables in awe as the Old Hands drone on and on about the Art of Backpacking and Miles Walked and Weight Carried.

I met one recently at the Thomas Knob shelter in Mt Rogers and he went on and on about gear needed and pack adjustments and the best hiking shoes and he added just the right amount of trail weariness to denote a Cool Expertise. He would take questions from eager observers but never asked questions from anyone. He mentioned something about cold weather camping and I got a question in and asked him "Have you ever camped in the snow?" He said "No, never." I laughed and knew his whole rant was in a self-induced Newb Fever pretending to be the Cool Expert.

moldy
10-23-2012, 10:12
The South bound thru-hikers at this point know something that you don't. They know how far 2200 Appalachian Trail miles is. They also know that this is late October. They know the level of effort needed to make it home at some reasonable date. They have felt each day getting shorter. They know that time squandered BS'ing with section hikers is miles not made that day. If you were thru-hiking you would do the same.

10-K
10-23-2012, 10:16
I carry a pretty light pack by most standards. How much weight I carry and how far Im hiking that day has nothing to do with my willingness to stop and talk to somebody.

The question is, do I feel like talking to someone or not. Just like in my non-hiking life - I don't always want to have a conversation.

10-K
10-23-2012, 10:17
It's like just because the phone rings I don't I have an obligation to answer it

bannerstone
10-23-2012, 10:19
Evansprator, just keep hiking and don't worry about the thru's. Your perspective will change as your endurance builds, you may find that you rather enjoy knocking out some big miles from time to time just cause you can. Be warned that you won't notice that your hiking style has changed all that much till you're back home hiking with your regular hiking pals and not being able to hike slow yourself down to their pace.

David

Slo-go'en
10-23-2012, 10:21
W.M. and Moldy are right. The SOBO's are at the end of the trip and just want to get it over with. You see the same thing with NOBOs when they get up to Maine. (Most) everyone starts out a little slow and taking it easy, but once it turns into a job, you get up, do your miles and go to bed.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 10:21
I carry a pretty light pack by most standards. How much weight I carry and how far Im hiking that day has nothing to do with my willingness to stop and talk to somebody.

The question is, do I feel like talking to someone or not. Just like in my non-hiking life - I don't always want to have a conversation.

He stopped to talk to me! though he may have just wanted a rest on the hill he was going up ;)

colorado_rob
10-23-2012, 10:27

But that's me - some folks like 10 mile days and that's just as cool. Not sure about any "factors" on fun, but the reason I do long distance hiking is simply because I LIKE TO HIKE. Hiking to me is nearly effortless physically (yes, I go fairly lightweight, which helps tremendously), so I'm simply the happiest on the trail when I'm actually walking; constantly changing scenery, anticipation on what's around the next corner, seeing more in a shorter period of time, etc, etc. I get bored very quickly "resting" (not moving). I rest while walking. Human beings are built to walk. Humans are walking machines. Check out Bill Bryson's "A Brief History of Nearly Everything". He has a great essay on human walking.

I enjoy the sights/sounds/people/photography just as much as anyone, I'm certain, and I average close to 20 miles a day. Hiking is immensely enjoyable; if it is not, why would you be out there on an AT thru?? To "accomplish" something? Not me.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 10:29
The inherent problem that I see in the WB forum is that people tend to forget it is about the AT and being on it. it is not called whiteblaze thru hikers or backpacking light on the AT. nor is it called how to do the AT in 6 miles per day with a 70 pound pack. I find that any post that attempts to persuade someone else in matters regarding pack weight and miles per day hiking is completely useless considering that person needs figure it out on their own, so they have a basis of comparison. offering tips or experience that can be helpful in tweaking someone style that is similar to yours is very useful. there really is no need for someone that falls in the ultra light category to offer their opinion on pack weight or miles per day hiked to someone that is not. And vice versa.

you will notice there are FAR more posts about telling people to slow down than to speed up..

RCBear
10-23-2012, 10:36
The South bound thru-hikers at this point know something that you don't. They know how far 2200 Appalachian Trail miles is. They also know that this is late October. They know the level of effort needed to make it home at some reasonable date. They have felt each day getting shorter. They know that time squandered BS'ing with section hikers is miles not made that day. If you were thru-hiking you would do the same.

again, thru hikers make up a small majority of the people on the trail. it is an awesome endeavour and my hat is off to them. but the reality is that most of us hike sections or less at any given time because well, most don't have 6 months to offer to the trail uninterrupted at this point in our lives or simply don't have the interest in doing it all at once. let's try to remember that this forum is not one dedicated to Thru Hikers solely. and honestly, most of of those that fall in that category really are of a different mindset than the majority, and tend to have the natural inclination to being defensive about their positions when it's really not necessary. The original poster i don't feel was attacking rather just pointing out his perspective so far. That may well change as the miles continue. or it may not. a better way to have responded would be with the same information but LOSE the tone. I didn't feel threatened by his post, but clearly some of you have based on the tone of your followups which underscores my earlier point. So, i will be moving on to another discussion that i may actually learn from :)

Deadeye
10-23-2012, 10:36
If there's anything on the trail that cheeses me off (besides dogs - don't get me started), it's people telling me to slow down and enjoy myself. What the heck makes you think I'm NOT enjoying myself??? If 10 miles a day floats your boat, 10 a day it is. I happen to like hiking more than camping, I'm not obsessed with panoramic views, so racking up miles is a natural consequence of not stopping early or often.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 10:46
again, thru hikers make up a small majority of the people on the trail. it is an awesome endeavour and my hat is off to them. but the reality is that most of us hike sections or less at any given time because well, most don't have 6 months to offer to the trail uninterrupted at this point in our lives or simply don't have the interest in doing it all at once. let's try to remember that this forum is not one dedicated to Thru Hikers solely. and honestly, most of of those that fall in that category really are of a different mindset than the majority, and tend to have the natural inclination to being defensive about their positions when it's really not necessary. The original poster i don't feel was attacking rather just pointing out his perspective so far. That may well change as the miles continue. or it may not. a better way to have responded would be with the same information but LOSE the tone. I didn't feel threatened by his post, but clearly some of you have based on the tone of your followups which underscores my earlier point. So, i will be moving on to another discussion that i may actually learn from :)

He was directly attacking thru hikers that were in a routine that they were comfortable with and he couldn't accept it. His tone was extremely negative and he got the response that was deserved.

he said- they went to bed early and got up early, only stopped in town for food, didn't talk to him on the trail,

he says HE doesn't care if it takes him 10 months. guess what, most don't have that long or want to take that long. they MAY actually be hurrying to get back to their job, family, etc.

the THREAD was about thru-hikers..

Again.. HYOH apparently only applies to slow ass bastards.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 10:52

HEY, even us slow-ass bastards have the capability to get focused on the hike itself and don't care to stop to talk to other hikers. My husband feels it is his sacred duty to stop and have a conversation with everyone coming from the opposite direction; I, on the other hand, am just as likely to nod and say "Hi!" and keep on walking. Especially if there are miles to go before I sleep :)

RCBear
10-23-2012, 11:03
Jake, the fact that you take his post so personally again underscores my point regarding unnecessary hostility. I hike fast and i hike slow depending on many factors, so i can understand the advantages of both. He was having trouble understanding that and instead of simply offering another perspective in an educational manner that may have well given him pause for thought and perhaps changed his outlook, you chose to take an attack mode because as you stated, you felt attacked. I would suggest that if you interpreted his post in that manner then you have extremely sensitive skin and don't have adequate social skills. Lighten up my man. If you don't have the time to properly address his outlook in a manner that might help him better understand a different approach, then you are of little value to this particular thread. It's really just that simple.

Mags
10-23-2012, 11:08
Of the 13,000+ hikers who claim to have hiked the entire trail, what percentage do you think never spent more than a dozen or so nights in a tent ever again?

You know, I've had similar thoughts myself. Many thru-hikers (or ld section hikers) aren't backpacking or even camping unless it is a thru-hike.

I can understand their viewpoint: The long journey is part of the allure.

For me, personally, I need an outdoor fix. Whether it is some camping and light hiking like this weekend. Or a solo trip to The Winds.

The thru-hike are great. But I need the outdoors in my life even it is just for one night.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:15
I found his post extremely negative. For one he should have some respect for people who have hiked that far, especially since he is trying to do the same.

"I just don't get why all these thru hikers don't care about doing the same. " is an extremely narrow view and is why he is getting grilled for it. you are in the minority defending his less than accepting opinion.

My skin is plenty thick. I am used to a rock climbing community that does not pull punches.

Your thoughts on this site not being about thru-hikers is what does not belong in this thread, as it is a thread about thru-hikers.

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 11:19

SPOT ON...I agree 200% with everything you said (earlier point) I'm quoting you here...

"The original poster i don't feel was attacking rather just pointing out his perspective so far. That may well change as the miles continue. or it may not. a better way to have responded would be with the same information but LOSE the tone. I didn't feel threatened by his post, but clearly some of you have based on the tone of your followups which underscores my ealier point."

RCBear- There's something driving that thinking & it's not limited to hiking style or personal preference in hiking..... #bangingmyheadagainstthewall.

Deadeye- I'm glad you can express yourself calmly without getting "cheesed off" with your comment.....LOL. I'm sure irresponsible dog owners do that well for you. :)

Well, I hope the OP can weed through all the comments & gain useful understanding. (Hike On)

Gotta love all the personalities that come shinning through in all the posts.... it made me smile this morning. :>) Luv Y'all.

WingedMonkey
10-23-2012, 11:40

Or sometimes maybe it is more entertaining to just tell them to "Shut Up"

:p

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 11:45
Or sometimes maybe it is more entertaining to just tell them to "Shut Up"

:p

Do you then move on, or stop your hiking to enjoy the fireworks you started? :-?

kayak karl
10-23-2012, 11:45
the hi-mile guys (and light packs, got to get that in) have told you what they think about hiking and what they think of you. THESE are the hikers you are complaining about not chatting with on the trail :rolleyes: count your blessings.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 11:49
the hi-mile guys (and light packs, got to get that in) have told you what they think about hiking and what they think of you. THESE are the hikers you are complaining about not chatting with on the trail :rolleyes: count your blessings.

Best post yet :banana

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:49
Curious... if someone had posted

"Damn, these section hikers keep trying to talk to me when I have 10 more miles to go today so that i'm not screwed on my resupply on thursday. I barely have enough food to get there and while they just had burgers last week, i've been starving on mashed potatoes and ramen for weeks. I'd like to talk to people about what i've done but I just don't have the time. Him and his friend kept the fire going past hiker midnight and wouldn't shut up when we were trying to sleep. He wasn't even up by the time we left in the AM. My boss wants me back to work by the end of November and my wife has been supportive of my dream but wants to see me soon. One guy even had the nerve to tell me to slow down and enjoy the view.. does he not know how many overlooks and views i've seen already? Why is he going so slow on flat trail in the trees? what is there to see there? They said the next town is great but i'm guessing it will be the same as the last 30 towns but if they have a supermarket that will be great. .............. "

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 12:01
Really, guys, he's just a noob who is still in the honeymoon stage of his thru. If he succeeds in staying on the trail a couple more months, he'll get schooled in due time.

RCBear
10-23-2012, 12:04

"Damn, these section hikers keep trying to talk to me when I have 10 more miles to go today so that i'm not screwed on my resupply on thursday. I barely have enough food to get there and while they just had burgers last week, i've been starving on mashed potatoes and ramen for weeks. I'd like to talk to people about what i've done but I just don't have the time. Him and his friend kept the fire going past hiker midnight and wouldn't shut up when we were trying to sleep. He wasn't even up by the time we left in the AM. My boss wants me back to work by the end of November and my wife has been supportive of my dream but wants to see me soon. One guy even had the nerve to tell me to slow down and enjoy the view.. does he not know how many overlooks and views i've seen already? Why is he going so slow on flat trail in the trees? what is there to see there? They said the next town is great but i'm guessing it will be the same as the last 30 towns but if they have a supermarket that will be great. .............. "

In that case, if the information offered in response was done in the same manner, then my responses would have been......the same.

10-K
10-23-2012, 12:21
He stopped to talk to me! though he may have just wanted a rest on the hill he was going up ;)

Thanks you for that! I've stopped, talked, and/or hiked with at least 4 people in this thread.

Thirsty DPD
10-23-2012, 12:23

If someone posted that; I would think, not only weren't they having any fun but they were overwhelmed & possibly in over their head. Eating only Ramen & mashed potatoes was a choice. Possibly section hiking would have been more enjoyable. They sound as if their a thru hiker and not a backpacker.

turtle fast
10-23-2012, 12:23
Like a ton of others have said here...by now on the trail the SOBOs have a set camp routine and are used to it. As well it was stated that south bounders shy away from crowds normally (ie introverts) and that is why many choose hiking south (apart from a Spring time crunch for others). NOBOs are usually more social as the group is much larger and you see the same faces more going in the same direction. A SOBO running into a NOBO hiker will only see that person once usually.

10-K
10-23-2012, 12:28
For me, personally, I need an outdoor fix. Whether it is some camping and light hiking like this weekend. Or a solo trip to The Winds.

Same here. I have to get out for an overnight hike - even if it is just one night but preferably 2-4 - at least twice a month or I go nuts.

Jack Tarlin
10-23-2012, 12:29
A few quick points: Most SOBO's tend to be young, as many of them are recent graduates (they're hiking South in many cases because they had to wait until Springtime graduation). Younger hikers are almost always fitter and faster, so it's not surprising that their daily mileage is typically higher than most Northbounders.

Also, most thru-hikes take 24-27 weeks, so assuming they started in early June, as most SOBO's do, it's not surprising that there's a big desire to finish by Thanksgiving, both to enjoy the holiday at home, and to finish the hike before it gets too cold and wet. So for this reason also, by the time they're out of New England, SOBO's tend to go faster and further each day than Northbounders.

But ultimately, people have to discover what works for them. There are people who happily hike 20-plus miles each day. There are people who hike the whole way and NEVER do a 20. It's all good.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 12:37
If someone posted that; I would think, not only weren't they having any fun but they were overwhelmed & possibly in over their head. Eating only Ramen & mashed potatoes was a choice. Possibly section hiking would have been more enjoyable. They sound as if their a thru hiker and not a backpacker.

have you thru-hiked anything? or a large section for multiple weeks?

what the OP stated sounds like normal routine. The method he describes sounds more like people who don't finish.

my scenario is more of a worst case but could be a solid reason for not pandering to some noobie section hiker.

evyck da fleet
10-23-2012, 13:12
Maybe they do care about the same thing. For all we know they took their time up north doing what your doing now while they got their trail legs. Then built up to 20 miles days in June or June when there was 14 hours of sunlight. At two miles an hour, which isn't really fast, they'd only have to hike for ten of the 14 hours and have plenty of time to relax. If you're doing 15 miles now I would suspect you hit 20 at some point when the trail flattens out. Whether you continue to do so or not is up to you. There is no reason you can't go slow, fast, enjoy multiple zeros in some towns and skip others completely on YOUR hike. You've got plenty of time to try all sorts of things and decide what you like best. Besides life would be boring if we all acted the same way and liked the same things.

Thirsty DPD
10-23-2012, 13:15
have you thru-hiked anything? or a large section for multiple weeks?

what the OP stated sounds like normal routine. The method he describes sounds more like people who don't finish.

my scenario is more of a worst case but could be a solid reason for not pandering to some noobie section hiker.

I will answer your challenging questions, though I have nothing to prove to you. For many years, more then you are old, I've hiked many multi week trips. And if by thru hike you mean reaching a preappointed destination, every trip. You don't want to get into a resume thing, trust me, remember you asked. But at least now your angry at me & not a new member being welcomed to WB forum. Gotta be honest, I didn't find anything in the OP as confrontational as your defensive posture, maybe you'll give it some thought. It's a small community, see you on the trail.

fredmugs
10-23-2012, 13:16
Really, guys, he's just a noob who is still in the honeymoon stage of his thru. If he succeeds in staying on the trail a couple more months, he'll get schooled in due time.

Great analogy.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 13:23
I will answer your challenging questions, though I have nothing to prove to you. For many years, more then you are old, I've hiked many multi week trips. And if by thru hike you mean reaching a preappointed destination, every trip. You don't want to get into a resume thing, trust me, remember you asked. But at least now your angry at me & not a new member being welcomed to WB forum. Gotta be honest, I didn't find anything in the OP as confrontational as your defensive posture, maybe you'll give it some thought. It's a small community, see you on the trail.

If you have done a thru then you have probably been through pieces like i described in my scenario... I asked b/c I was mostly trying to see from which perspective you were coming from, not angry at you.

I just find it insulting that because I am in shape and organized enough to do higher miles that I am doing something wrong.

HYOH... as long as it is the way I do it

max patch
10-23-2012, 14:00
Just a couple comments.

The OP left Springer 2 weeks ago. I doubt that he is a thru hiker as some have referred to him as.

If I stopped everyday at 4:00 on a thru I'd go stir crazy. Having said that, I did stop around 5:00 the first few weeks of my hike because thats all my body could take. Once in trail shape I hiked til dusk daily. Stop at 4:00; stop at 9:00 - one isn't better than the other. Just different. Will be interesting if the OPs position on this changes as he gets in better shape.

gizzy bear
10-23-2012, 14:19
He was directly attacking thru hikers that were in a routine that they were comfortable with and he couldn't accept it. His tone was extremely negative and he got the response that was deserved.

he said- they went to bed early and got up early, only stopped in town for food, didn't talk to him on the trail,

he says HE doesn't care if it takes him 10 months. guess what, most don't have that long or want to take that long. they MAY actually be hurrying to get back to their job, family, etc.

the THREAD was about thru-hikers..

it is apparent you post while on your period...i hope you don't hike when you are!!! jeesh girl!!!

kayak karl
10-23-2012, 14:19
he's hiking as far as he can. so he says in other posts. also on other thread 10/19 posts "I did tray mt in NC as the last mile of a 19.7 mile day two days ago. Hellish, but so worth it." so, who knows.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 14:32
it is apparent you post while on your period...i hope you don't hike when you are!!! jeesh girl!!!

aww she's defending her boyfriend.. enjoy your slow slog in Maine.. and i'm not a girl.

(funny, if a guy had used those terms with a girl on this forum they'd get reamed out.. ahh hypocrisy...)

Mags
10-23-2012, 14:34

Really no call for that type of remark.....

The Andrew Dice Clay schtick is going on 20 yrs old now.

Further urination contests should be confined to PMing. Further posts along these lines will go to some blackhole in cyberspace.

Thanks.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 14:36
he's hiking as far as he can. so he says in other posts. also on other thread 10/19 posts "I did tray mt in NC as the last mile of a 19.7 mile day two days ago. Hellish, but so worth it." so, who knows.

Wait a minute, Tray Mt. is in Georgia!

max patch
10-23-2012, 14:46
Wait a minute, Tray Mt. is in Georgia!

He later corrected his post to Albert Mtn, NC.

Leanthree
10-23-2012, 14:54
To the OP, and not sure where you are currently on your hike, there is a chance that the SOBO hikers you are encountering are the more fit, longer distance day thru-hikers and the ones who you would get along better with are soon ahead. I have found that depending on which time of year I hike on the AT, and where, I meet different styles of thru-hikers.

It is math, but worth pointing out, that earlier in the year, faster thru-hikers who do less time in towns will arrive to a certain point on the trail earlier than others. Over a series of section hikes, I sort of figured out which style of thru-hikers I get along most with, those who hike ~17 miles per day. (the following sentence contains generalizations based on meeting hundreds of thru-hikers, there is a good chance there are specific examples of hikers which you can point to that undermine my argument, that is why it is general.) The ~22 mile a day guys are a bit too focused and regimented for me while the ~12 mpd hikers are either doing so for health reasons, which sometimes can make me feel guilty, or too into partying, which keeps me up at night. Neither my way or the other ways are good or bad, just something I noticed.

avalonmorn
10-23-2012, 14:56
aww she's defending her boyfriend.. enjoy your slow slog in Maine.. and i'm not a girl.

(funny, if a guy had used those terms with a girl on this forum they'd get reamed out.. ahh hypocrisy...)

Indeed this remark was said a couple of days ago by a popular male member. No comments were received. I didn't like it when he said it, and not when Gizzy said it. Thanks for listening......

gizzy bear
10-23-2012, 15:01

lolwut?!?! i could have sworn you were a girl...my bad!!!

crazydave1234
10-23-2012, 15:03

I may be confused, I thought that the destination is very important but that it is the journey that is the important thing. Yes, we intend and will finish our hike, but it is the experience of hiking the trail that I have been dreaming of followed by the climatic finish. I have read the journals and am looking forward to "trail magic" and "angels", I want to find a trail name and meet lots of interresting people along the way. And by the way tdozi, you do sound rude and antisocial.

Mags
10-23-2012, 15:07
Indeed this remark was said a couple of days ago by a popular male member. No comments were received. I didn't like it when he said it, and not when Gizzy said it. Thanks for listening......

Also known as THE WEEKEND.

If you see an offensive post, please report it. I may be speaking out of turn,but as a moderator I can't (and won't ! :) ) read every single thread and post.

Being an outdoor site, many of the moderators tend to well, do things outdoors. I know I do. Then there's that work thing, relationships and socializing.

See a post you don't like? Report it. We'll look into it. Not every post reported gets a hand slapping (a little too much kvetching at times), but there are legitimate times where the post is not warranted and definitely raises a few eyebrows.

What a moderator does on a Sunday. It's call hiking and taking photos....

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/69136_10152045536110021_923050221_n.jpg

crazydave1234
10-23-2012, 15:09
call me antisocial, but i wouldnt enjoy what you want to do at all. you got a problem with that? what exactly?

most thrus you meet anytime anyplace, once they get going hit 20 a day fairly regularly.

Ah, Just from your little blurp here you do sound kind of rude and antisocial. I could be wrong but that is the impression that I got.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 15:09
I may be confused, I thought that the destination is very important but that it is the journey that is the important thing. Yes, we intend and will finish our hike, but it is the experience of hiking the trail that I have been dreaming of followed by the climatic finish. I have read the journals and am looking forward to "trail magic" and "angels", I want to find a trail name and meet lots of interresting people along the way. And by the way tdozi, you do sound rude and antisocial.

don't pay me no attention. it's just my observation after 14 straight years of long distance backpackin' and living in a trail town for 12 years. fantasy and reality are 2 different things when it comes to walkin' the AT

10-K
10-23-2012, 15:24
I find after about a week every hike starts having a suck factor. So far no hike sucked so much that I quit but it really does start getting old once the routine starts setting in.

But I'm afraid I'm hooked for life. :)

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 15:39
And by the way tdozi, you do sound rude and antisocial.

i would never for a second disagree with those who found me so, and its part of why i hike alone and dont stop and chat a lot or look for some sort of social experience in the woods. what i disagree with is the OP's notion that this is somehow the wrong way to go hiking.

truth is, in any endeavor anyone who looks at someone else who does something they cant and then complains to that said persons are "doing it wrong" are just jealous. thats why there are no "youre hiking too slow" threads, nothing to be jealous of, as anyone who wants to hiker slower can just do so.

whats funniest about this form of jealousy is that it couldnt be more needless. my guess is the OP started hiking with thoughts of how big and tough he was to be doing such a thing (which, in the grand scheme of things, maybe is so) and didnt like being knocked off his pedestal by people who were doing it "better" than he was. and/or there was a lot of internal "c'mon guys, stay and talk with me, dont keep hiking, this is supposed to be a big party and i dont want to sit at this shelter by myself." going on.

just my amateur psychoanalysis.

Airman
10-23-2012, 15:43
I totally agree. I enjoy the people I meet as much as the scenery, etc. I like moving at a slower pace and seeing what the trail offers.

Tipi Walter
10-23-2012, 15:45
I totally agree. I enjoy the people I meet as much as the scenery, etc. I like moving at a slower pace and seeing what the trail offers.

I was an Airman once. Are you an Airman?

10-K
10-23-2012, 15:47
Tdoczi, you strike me as a pretty normal guy and I enjoyed our stop and chat.

Because I was out of breath. :)

rickb
10-23-2012, 16:19
And Mr. T is smarter than most, too.

As for thru hikers rushing down the trail, that's a non issue IMHO.

The bigger issue is just how rough it is to get back to normal so that one can enjoy being a slug with the ones they love. How many former thru hikes are simply unable to enjoy the woods like a normal person?

I am thinking the ATC should start a program. While it would not be wise to subjects former thru hiker to the joy of car camping and day hiking with a camera and binoculars right away (that could be dangerously unhealthy), I am thinking that with proper support most can get there.

It won't be easy, but it can be done.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 16:26
And Mr. T is smarter than most, too.

As for thru hikers rushing down the trail, that's a non issue IMHO.

The bigger issue is just how rough it is to get back to normal so that one can enjoy being a slug with the ones they love. How many former thru hikes are simply unable to enjoy the woods like a normal person?

I am thinking the ATC should start a program. While it would not be wise to subjects former thru hiker to the joy of car camping and day hiking with a camera and binoculars right away (that could be dangerously unhealthy), I am thinking that with proper support most can get there.

It won't be easy, but it can be done.

Maybe the ATC can apply for a grant to start a program to help rehabilitate former thru-hikers :banana

gizzy bear
10-23-2012, 16:47

very true...a clear cut case of one who can dish it out, but can't take it when others see things differently...and especially to someone (new) who just posted an honest, non confrontational post... uncalled for.... period.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 17:13
one who can dish it out, but can't take it when others see things differently

Say what now? did you READ the first post? Everything he said was disagreeing with how people he didn't know were hiking the trail that he had only barely touched.

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 17:14
Tdoczi, you strike me as a pretty normal guy and I enjoyed our stop and chat.

Because I was out of breath. :)

you know, its funny you say that because i am fairly certain that by cosmic coincidence we actually met on the trail once, but i really wouldnt have guessed that youd know that. so i guess what i'm wondering now is, do you remember where it was?

10-K
10-23-2012, 17:21
you know, its funny you say that because i am fairly certain that by cosmic coincidence we actually met on the trail once, but i really wouldnt have guessed that youd know that. so i guess what i'm wondering now is, do you remember where it was?

Yes, it was just south of App Gap... I was just coming up to the part where the rebar is drilled into the rock and you have to climb up. Your son was ahead of you taking a break and I met you and your wife coming down. You were headed into Waitsfield. We chatted 5-10 minutes.

If I remember right you were sporting a pretty nice camera too.

Sound familiar?

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 17:22
Also known as THE WEEKEND.

If you see an offensive post, please report it. I may be speaking out of turn,but as a moderator I can't (and won't ! :) ) read every single thread and post.

Being an outdoor site, many of the moderators tend to well, do things outdoors. I know I do. Then there's that work thing, relationships and socializing.

See a post you don't like? Report it. We'll look into it. Not every post reported gets a hand slapping (a little too much kvetching at times), but there are legitimate times where the post is not warranted and definitely raises a few eyebrows.

What a moderator does on a Sunday. It's call hiking and taking photos....

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/69136_10152045536110021_923050221_n.jpg

I really love this pic...Mags!! :) Just coming in from being outside today, myself. Thanks for the info.. I didn't realize that you could report a post.

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 17:24
Yes, it was just south of App Gap... I was just coming up to the part where the rebar is drilled into the rock and you have to climb up. Your son was ahead of you taking a break and I met you and your wife coming down. You were headed into Waitsfield.

Sound familiar?

nope wasnt me, ive never been up there, sorry. i also dont have any children i'm aware of : )

you do, however, bear many similarities to a super fast section hiker from NC who blew by me going up wildcat as we were both on our way to carter notch hut for the night.

10-K
10-23-2012, 17:30
nope wasnt me, ive never been up there, sorry. i also dont have any children i'm aware of : )

you do, however, bear many similarities to a super fast section hiker from NC who blew by me going up wildcat as we were both on our way to carter notch hut for the night.

Dang! I would have bet $$$ that the person I met was you.

Ok then.... regarding Carter Notch hut - did you get there late after everyone had finished eating? If so, I've got you!

Donde
10-23-2012, 17:51
This has to be one of the dumbest threads ever, I will likely regret adding to it.

I do various weekends and sections usually at around 12-15 a day.
I do a section every year with my mother at about 8 a day.
During my thru I just walked as far as I felt like, my shortest day was about 2, my longest was 34.
All of these "are just walkin'"

Settle the F*#! down y'all. If your so wired that you need you to get offended by other people's hiking pace on the interwebs maybe you should blow off some steam with some healthy exercise, I dunno take a hike or something.

88BlueGT
10-23-2012, 18:29
Say what now? did you READ the first post? Everything he said was disagreeing with how people he didn't know were hiking the trail that he had only barely touched.

His post was more of a question for people who have thru-hiked and why people don't do things a certain way (notice how many question marks? how many times he said, 'right?') Doesn't seem to me that the OP's post lashes out towards others. Be easssssssssssssssssy.

And I agree... I CANT BELIEVE I just wasted 20 minutes reading every page of this worthless thread. There needed to be one response and one only... HYOH.

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 18:46
Amen... I just went back and read the entire thing! Wow!!

Here's my take on it... We all are good people with issues. Some people's issues are harder to deal with than others and are actually woven into their personality, at this point. The issue's really come out on site's like this.

HYOH is a great thought & most people can embrace it but some can't deal......

Interpretation is HUGE on here.. Well, we all know how that goes....

10-K
10-23-2012, 18:49
This thread comes up all the time in various ways.

It's very predictable. Me and a half a dozen other people will talk about hiking 20+ mile days. Walter will chime in about an arctic exploit and how he Hikes with a hoop of cheese around his neck and how he carries his own firewood.

And it just goes downhill from there.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 18:49
I disagree.. He is mad that he went out at a pretty desolate time on the AT and didn't find people to hang out with.

" I don't get it"

"My definition of fun"

" I know they say to hike your own hike," ...... but then ignores the principle

" I just don't get why"

10-K
10-23-2012, 18:54
Let it go Jake, it's not that big of a deal.

Not trying to tell you what to do or anything.

Rasty
10-23-2012, 18:55
This thread comes up all the time in various ways.

It's very predictable. Me and a half a dozen other people will talk about hiking 20+ mile days. Walter will chime in about an arctic exploit and how he Hikes with a hoop of cheese around his neck and how he carries his own firewood.

And it just goes downhill from there.

What kind of cheese? It's important!

atmilkman
10-23-2012, 18:57
What kind of wood is pretty important too.

10-K
10-23-2012, 18:57
I joke about Walter and his cheese and firewood a lot but if it were five below I be happy to stumble on his camp.

Capt Nat
10-23-2012, 19:17
No, YOU CHILL OUT!!!!

Lone Wolf
10-23-2012, 19:38
Here's my take on it... We all are good people with issues.
not me. no issues. i'm a right wing conservative Marine who's always right

Rasty
10-23-2012, 19:38
What kind of wood is pretty important too.

With Walter you know it's not balsa wood. Only a gram weenie would carry balsa.

jcavenagh
10-23-2012, 19:43
WOW CHILL OUT

i'm perfectly chill, tell the guy who is for some reason offended by the way others hike to chill out.[/QUOTE]

I think that is what is happening here....but in a less harsh manner.

gizzy bear
10-23-2012, 20:21
The OP of this thread was in NO way offensive NOR combative ... Certain people here feel their hike is the ONLY hike and get butthurt when called out... Whether it be direct or silly (which of course was the path I took & got reported for it) regardless ... An open mind here & a respectful tone will get more use than a "if you don't see it my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" dig... Anyday.... Not to mention, be fat more useful.

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 20:51
not me. no issues. i'm a right wing conservative Marine who's always right

If we didn't have issues we wouldn't be FUN. BORRINNGGG!!! I hope you know how to have FUN!! :) It's important!

HikerMom58
10-23-2012, 20:56
The OP of this thread was in NO way offensive NOR combative ... Certain people here feel their hike is the ONLY hike and get butthurt when called out... Whether it be direct or silly (which of course was the path I took & got reported for it) regardless ... An open mind here & a respectful tone will get more use than a "if you don't see it my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" dig... Anyday.... Not to mention, be fat more useful.

Gurl.... you're OK. It's like punching a brick wall. Chin up. :)

atmilkman
10-23-2012, 21:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuvbFHWfHbo

Slo-go'en
10-23-2012, 21:06
The OP started a NOBO hike in October when about the only hikers he's gonna meet are hard core SOBO's about to finish and are used to going to bed when it gets dark and getting up when it gets light. And then wondering why they don't want to stay up and party with him. He's gonna get really lonely soon.

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 22:01
Dang! I would have bet $$$ that the person I met was you.

Ok then.... regarding Carter Notch hut - did you get there late after everyone had finished eating? If so, I've got you!

yup, proud to say i am zero for 3 on making it to a hut in the white mountains in time for dinner. who wants to stop hiking at 6pm in june in the white mountains?

in all honesty the only reason i remember that day so well is 'cause of the 2 cuties who were working at the hut that summer : )

10-K
10-23-2012, 22:24
yup, proud to say i am zero for 3 on making it to a hut in the white mountains in time for dinner. who wants to stop hiking at 6pm in june in the white mountains?

in all honesty the only reason i remember that day so well is 'cause of the 2 cuties who were working at the hut that summer : )

I bet I can remember something you may not... I passed you when I was hitching from Gorham back to the trail. You were sitting on a bench and I walked by you. Then I saw you get on the AMC shuttle bus and the bus passed by me while I was standing there with my thumb out. I do remember catching up with you right around some ungodly climb and being surprised when you came into the hut late. I had just finished my work for stay.

10-K
10-23-2012, 22:26
It's a small world. I met Slo-go'en here first, then ran into him on the AT down here in TN and this past August tented right next to him about 10 miles from Canada on the Long Trail.

Gray Blazer
10-23-2012, 22:28
It's a small world. I met Slo-go'en here first, then ran into him on the AT down here in TN and this past August tented right next to him about 10 miles from Canada on the Long Trail.

I camped 10 miles from you on Unaka Mountain Rd and emailed you from the Erwin library.

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 22:32
I bet I can remember something you may not... I passed you when I was hitching from Gorham back to the trail. You were sitting on a bench and I walked by you. Then I saw you get on the AMC shuttle bus and the bus passed by me while I was standing there with my thumb out. I do remember catching up with you right around some ungodly climb and being surprised when you came into the hut late. I had just finished my work for stay.

oh yeah that was me on all counts. it was all ungodly climbs though, so i cant say i remember which one we chatted at. not surprised you were surprised i made it, i barely slept the night before that and i'm sure i looked ready to pass out and roll back down the mountain when you blew by.

Another Kevin
10-23-2012, 22:54
Hmm, seeing this discussion makes me glad I'm a clueless weekender. I get to go as long or as short as I please, and don't need to worry about how it will look because everyone looks down on a clueless weekender anyway. :cool:

tdoczi
10-23-2012, 23:08

i once met these thru hikers in VT. after talking to them some and piecing it together, turns out 2 months earlier in shenandoah i had walked by their tent and talked off and on with a friend of theirs, but hadnt actually met them.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 23:15
I woulda met Slo but according to the register he was chilling out in Waitsfield when i went through.

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 09:20
Gurl.... you're OK. It's like punching a brick wall. Chin up. :)

thanks HM...i don't get in a tizzy over nonsense...actually i find it funny when people get their panties in a wad... over a hike, no doubt :P ...this website is funny to me, because i don't get offended...but i would bet my bottom dollar, there are MANY new people that register to use WB as a tool to help them in some form or fashion....and may last a day before some of the egos on here get ahold of them...i stuck around because i find it entertaining... most probably wouldn't.... i like funny :D

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 09:36
thanks HM...i don't get in a tizzy over nonsense...actually i find it funny when people get their panties in a wad... over a hike, no doubt :P ...this website is funny to me, because i don't get offended...but i would bet my bottom dollar, there are MANY new people that register to use WB as a tool to help them in some form or fashion....and may last a day before some of the egos on here get ahold of them...i stuck around because i find it entertaining... most probably wouldn't.... i like funny :D

Atta girl... very insightful, gizzy. I like funny now 2!! :) Before I liked funny, I felt like a piece of bloody shark bait. *Yikes* It's all good now tho.

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 09:53
Atta girl... very insightful, gizzy. I like funny now 2!! :) Before I liked funny, I felt like a piece of bloody shark bait. *Yikes* It's all good now tho.

don't you mean "black bear bait".... the *very* aggressive black bear ;)

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:00
It amazes me that so many of you have met up with eachother, hiked with eachother, etc. Does everyone meet people on the trail and say, hey are you on whiteblaze??? It's a question I never ask...

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 10:08
Yeah, black bear bait is good!! ;) That was definately the case this time.

I felt like I could see them circling round like sharks coming in for a "bite." A kind alligator rescued me. :) It's the truth... LOL!!! It was surreal. I was clueless!! FUNNY!! :)

WingedMonkey
10-24-2012, 10:10
Is this thread still about meeting Southbound hikers towards the end of their hike?

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:13
Who knows what this thread is about...

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 10:16
It amazes me that so many of you have met up with eachother, hiked with eachother, etc. Does everyone meet people on the trail and say, hey are you on whiteblaze??? It's a question I never ask...

Oh hey 88BlueGT... Gizzy Bear and I just "met" on here... White Blaze. She's a cool chick. I hope I meet her in person some day. I know of many others that met on WB.. ones in the cafe.. HikerBoy, Couch Lou and Driver8 to name a few. I would definately ask people on the trail if they are on WB. Chaco Taco met his wife on WB, I believe..... :cool: You are my friend as well, u know. :)

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:21
I could only hope to meet my future wife on WB! I do pass some pretty attractive women out on hikes but they always seem to be with their significant other! But hey.... you never know!

I hope to meet some of you on the trail one day but I certainly won't introduce myself as 88blueGT (just a random ID I've had for a long time) so not sure if the connection will ever be made.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 10:23
Is this thread still about meeting Southbound hikers towards the end of their hike?

The "thread police" is on the move. Hi WM... how are you today?

Who knows what this thread is about...

It's a true blue thread drift.. fo sho.

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 10:32
The OP is definitely in the wrong place. If he wants conversation, meet-ups, hook-ups, what have you, he just needs to get off the trail and get on this thread he started!!!

Mags
10-24-2012, 10:34
I do pass some pretty attractive women out on hikes but they always seem to be with their significant other! But hey.... you never know!

I met Mrs Mags on a full moon hike I lead.

It can happen. :)

Garlic and I also "met" on WB. We did many hikes and backcoutry skis together before his AT hike. I was also honored to have him as a guest at my wedding last month.

10-K
10-24-2012, 10:36
I could only hope to meet my future wife on WB! I do pass some pretty attractive women out on hikes but they always seem to be with their significant other! But hey.... you never know!

I hope to meet some of you on the trail one day but I certainly won't introduce myself as 88blueGT (just a random ID I've had for a long time) so not sure if the connection will ever be made.

I was sitting at Mont Claire Shelter on the long trail talking about this very subject. Turns out the guy I was talking to lived less than a mile from my mother outside of Atlanta.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:40
Definitely is a small world.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 10:49
I knew 10K was coming in the other direction so i was planning a trap.. i mean... on the lookout to see him.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 10:54

Usually how the connection, in person, is made is just by talking on the trail. Also, if you connect with a person on here, you can plan to hike together if it all works out for you. I live in Daleville VA so if you know you are coming through the area at any given give me a holler & I'd be happy to meet you. I'm a trail angel so I can help you out with anything you may need while in the area.
You never know when you might meet someone.... :)

I see others are sharing how they met their special someone... awesome!!

TW... I agree with your post!! :0) He'll be shocked if he ever "shows up" again... LOL!! He needs to say something!!

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 10:56

initially i told my boyfriend we should wear shirts with our names on them, for our HMW...but after being on here and further review....maybe not.... i might get shot :eek: plus i intend to carry my lipgloss and mascara and THAT.... will probably send some....over the edge :p

ps...i might wear a shirt that says "hikermom" ....everybody like HM!!!! :)

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 11:03
initially i told my boyfriend we should wear shirts with our names on them, for our HMW...but after being on here and further review....maybe not.... i might get shot :eek: plus i intend to carry my lipgloss and mascara and THAT.... will probably send some....over the edge :p

The moose will be impressed...

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 11:05
Oh hey 88BlueGT... Gizzy Bear and I just "met" on here... White Blaze. She's a cool chick. I hope I meet her in person some day. I know of many others that met on WB.. ones in the cafe.. HikerBoy, Couch Lou and Driver8 to name a few. I would definately ask people on the trail if they are on WB. Chaco Taco met his wife on WB, I believe..... :cool: You are my friend as well, u know. :)

thanks HM :) back atcha cool chick B)

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 11:06
The moose will be impressed...

moose are pervs...

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 11:09
HikerMom, THANK YOU for the offer! I would love to escape NJ and the rocks for a change!

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 11:10
Thread drift rapidly approaching warp speed :D

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 11:13
LOL many people hijacked this thread (including myself).... but rather talk of meeting others, happy conversations and meeting people on the trail than argue about hiking techniques :)

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 11:16
Thread drift rapidly approaching warp speed :D

don't wanna be lost in space :D

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 11:17
LOL many people hijacked this thread (including myself).... but rather talk of meeting others, happy conversations and meeting people on the trail than argue about hiking techniques :)

Get thyself to the cafe! :banana

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 11:19
The Hiker Cafe ??!!

Fill me in...................

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 11:35
The Hiker Cafe ??!!

I'm sure there are a few members who will jump at the chance :rolleyes:
Go check it out for yourself. Start with the first post, then jump around every 50 pages or so...you won't miss anything. Kind of like what happened on this thread :)

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 11:43
Get thyself to the cafe! :banana

Cute!! :)

The Hiker Cafe ??!!

It's a fun place to just chat about stuff... you'll make lots of friends & become very aware of how good guys & gals know how to post cool pics etc.. on this site. Try it you'll like it!! :)

And thanks for the kind words gizzy!! I don't know that everyone likes me... prolly not. :( I like myself in a healthy way so I'm good. :)

hikerboy57
10-24-2012, 11:52
The Hiker Cafe ??!!

Fill me in...................hikerboys cyber cafe, to be exact.
come join the fun. we have parting gifts.

Old Hiker
10-24-2012, 11:59
The Hiker Cafe ??!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86369-hikerboys-cyber-cafe

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 12:00
haha oh boy.

10-K
10-24-2012, 12:23

Well... I suggest deodorant might make you more beautiful than mascara. :)

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 12:24

:-? Is it better to (a) look good, (b) smell good, or (c) feel good?

Rasty
10-24-2012, 12:28

Smell good

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 12:30
Smell good

That's good poll content if I knew how to set one up :)

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 12:35
I had walking past good smelling women on the trail... I get so excited and then can't get the smell out of my nose for a half hour lol

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 12:38
perhaps the Cafe folks should umm.. go to the cafe to continue their conversation?

hikerboy57
10-24-2012, 12:41
perhaps the Cafe folks should umm.. go to the cafe to continue their conversation?

Is everyone getting along driving you nuts?

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 12:42
no interest.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 12:45
I had walking past good smelling women on the trail... I get so excited and then can't get the smell out of my nose for a half hour lol

Haha!! it's doubtful they was a thru-hiking gals... My daughter is convinced that no girl can EVER smell as bad as the guys do. :D
I have only run into the hiker funk smell once in my trail angel role once where I felt like I could not let these hikers into my vehicle without a nose plug. They were guys & luckily for me they were waiting for a shuttle so I was off the hook.. thankfully. :) They were really great to chat with... :)I vote for smell good....

gizzy bear

too funny!!! and SPOT on!!!

hikerboy57
no interest.

thats good. we dont argue in the cafe.

Gray Blazer
10-24-2012, 12:48

Just be careful. Not everyone on WB is your friend. YMMV.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 12:49
no interest.

Dude... I think you can find others on here that share that same feeling... to each his own OR birds of a feather.

Thirsty DPD
10-24-2012, 12:49

Keep friends close, enemies closer.

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 12:50
That's good poll content if I knew how to set one up :)

yes it is a good poll question...wish i could help but i am NOT qualified :p but my answer would be feel good.... final answer... BUT i'm still takin my mascara and lipgloss :D

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 12:53

And that is true.....not everything is as it appears. I only have 1 username...

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 12:53

Hey, I tried redirection, a few posts back, while y'all were just socializing away! :)

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 12:56
Keep friends close, enemies closer.

Yes sir!! ;)

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 13:00
And that is true.....not everything is as it appears. I only have 1 username...

too funny...there are people with multiple user names? do they use those "friends" to support their narcassistic posts? or report others? say it ain't so!!!

Thirsty DPD
10-24-2012, 13:01

Look good, or no one will get close enough to find out if you smell good, & feel doesn't make a fuss over looks & smell after several hundred miles.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 13:03
Maybe we should go back to how Evan is a dumbass for thinking he was going to get late March trail party down south in the winter.

Thirsty DPD
10-24-2012, 13:05
too funny...there are people with multiple user names? do they use those "friends" to support their narcassistic posts? or report others? say it ain't so!!!

The only member they can get along with and agree w/ them is their alter ego.

hikerboy57
10-24-2012, 13:06
Maybe we should go back to how Evan is a dumbass for thinking he was going to get late March trail party down south in the winter.

i think youve already got that argument covered.

Rasty

It's nauseating I'm sure.

HikerMom58

Gizzy, I don't know how that works, to be honest with you, but I am aware that people do have multiple usernames. It's funny you use the word narcassitic... loud and clear on that one! Ugggg!!!

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 13:23
The only member they can get along with and agree w/ them is their alter ego.

yeah...this ain't my first rodeo :D those were rhetorical questions....and those "types" are everywhere....sheer entertainment i tell ya!!!

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 13:25
Gizzy, I don't know how that works, to be honest with you, but I am aware that people do have multiple usernames. It's funny you use the word narcassitic... loud and clear on that one! Ugggg!!!

all you have to have is another e-mail acct...so easy a caveman could do it :)

atmilkman
10-24-2012, 13:26
(a) look good - I agree with the post that said you must look good or no one is gonna get close enough to smell
(b) smell good - definitely agree with this one especially around supper time
(c) feel good - I guess that depends on where you squeeze

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 13:41
yeah...this ain't my first rodeo :D those were rhetorical questions....and those "types" are everywhere....sheer entertainment i tell ya!!!

I have to add this tho... I never "knew" until about 3 ish years ago about those "types".... you have to add hearbreaking to the description. I have never felt such empathy in my life... Say it isn't so,if what you read is true about the origin of this deal. Ahhh!!! :(

The world of hurt that is left in their path is unbelievable....for everyone concerned.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 13:44
all you have to have is another e-mail acct...so easy a caveman could do it :)

It's easy, I know, but I don't know to what extent it is being done. Also,it may not be all bad... not sure. :)

tdoczi
10-24-2012, 13:46

i didnt even know what whiteblaze was when i met 10-K, months later i was reading his posts and was like, hey, wait a minute....

i wouldnt doubt ive met some other people from around here, i dont mention this palce, neither has anyone ive ever met out hiking.

tdoczi
10-24-2012, 13:49

ive thought this very thing countless times since about august or september i think.

Another Kevin
10-24-2012, 20:32
Since we're doing this stuff over the net, it's better to spell good than smell good.

Transient Being
10-24-2012, 21:36
lol, thanks for the laugh! That's a perfect explanation.

Transient Being
10-24-2012, 21:39
By the time a southbounder gets to where you are they have already had enough "meet and greets" with northbounders to make them that way.

They have had northbounders telling them since Maine what they need to see, what the need to eat, how they need to walk, where they need to stay.

lol, thanks for the laugh! That's a perfect explanation!

MuddyWaters
10-24-2012, 21:45

Im not going to go back and read 10 pages of bickering posts. The OP only posted the original question.

I suggest he will figure out the answer for himself eventually.

brotheral
10-25-2012, 04:43
:)
Im not going to go back and read 10 pages of bickering posts. The OP only posted the original question.

I suggest he will figure out the answer for himself eventually.
I Agree !! :)

oldbear
10-25-2012, 05:30
"in a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preached
sisters led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now."

kayak karl
10-25-2012, 08:17
maybe the guy don't get some things, but he IS hiking the trail:)

evansprater
10-26-2012, 15:23
Wow I posted this a few days ago and am now in Gatlinburg, TN... I agree I have a lot to learn. 90% of the thru hikers around my age though just seem to not care that I even exist, which seems the opposite of what I thought was the general vibe of the hiking community (and is, based on every interaction I've had with every other hiker I've met so far). Whatever, they can hike their own antisocial hike, if they so desire. If anything though, my 18 days on the trail have already made me a better, happier, more social person.

hikerboy57
10-26-2012, 15:25
Wow I posted this a few days ago and am now in Gatlinburg, TN... I agree I have a lot to learn. 90% of the thru hikers around my age though just seem to not care that I even exist, which seems the opposite of what I thought was the general vibe of the hiking community (and is, based on every interaction I've had with every other hiker I've met so far). Whatever, they can hike their own antisocial hike, if they so desire. If anything though, my 18 days on the trail have already made me a better, happier, more social person.enjoy your hike. glad you're having a good time. im sure you'll meet your share of more sociable types as you continue.stay safe.

Creek Dancer
10-26-2012, 15:51
Wow I posted this a few days ago and am now in Gatlinburg, TN... I agree I have a lot to learn. 90% of the thru hikers around my age though just seem to not care that I even exist, which seems the opposite of what I thought was the general vibe of the hiking community (and is, based on every interaction I've had with every other hiker I've met so far). Whatever, they can hike their own antisocial hike, if they so desire. If anything though, my 18 days on the trail have already made me a better, happier, more social person.

Glad you weren't put off by the overly sensitive types around here. We have one or two drama kings.

Have a great hike and an amazing journey!

evansprater
10-26-2012, 16:28
Haha, thanks guys. I'm having a blast. May be stuck in Gatlinburg for the next few days cause of weather, but absolutely loving every second... Take a gander at my foot pain post if you get a second...

HikerMom58
10-26-2012, 17:07
Haha, thanks guys. I'm having a blast. May be stuck in Gatlinburg for the next few days cause of weather, but absolutely loving every second... Take a gander at my foot pain post if you get a second...

Whoa... we are glad to hear from YOU!! Be safe & have fun.. we are jealous that you are out there actually hiking. :)

evansprater
10-26-2012, 17:45
Thanks HikerMom... I wish all if you could be out here with me! It's so beautiful right now, the last three days in the smokies were clear and 70. Temp is taking a dip next week, but nothing these Florida bones can't handle! Much love!

HermesUL
10-26-2012, 17:48
In response to the OP:
I love mornings! When I was on the Long Trail, there was no better feeling than getting up early (yes, 5:30 or earlier) and climbing on a peak to watch the mist floating through the valleys. I remember having to go slow one morning because I had a friend meeting me at the road crossing (6 miles away) at 10:30, and it was a long wait.

For me, going fast and far is not so much about getting the trail done quickly, but about doing it in the way I find most enjoyable. Getting to a shelter at 3:00 in the afternoon and spending the next six hours hanging around camp is much less fun than putting in some extra miles that day. If you're sleeping a healthy 8-9 hours, you've got at least 15 hours in a day...I wouldn't want to spend more than a third of that sitting around, and my enjoyable hiking pace is at least 2 miles per hour. Just by default, that puts me at a 20 mile day.
Now, I'll agree that there are some people that lose sight of the beauty of the trail because they want to cover mileage, interpreting the AT as a physical accomplishment rather than a spiritual journey. HYOH, but those people are not me. I highly doubt that this is the majority of people you're talking to, even if they're not terribly social.

I love meeting people on the trail and when I was out on the Long Trail for a few days I began to crave company, but I've rarely heard that as a reason people want to spend 6 months away from civilization. Your "hike" sounds fabulous and I'm sure you'll meet like-minded people somewhere along the way. In trail towns especially, I imagine you'll find loads of people who want to chat with social backpackers. When your AT trip (of whatever length) is over, I'd highly recommend going NOBO on the Long Trail. It has many more people of your mindset, who are a joy to interact with. A five week Long Trail trip is orders of magnitude more practical than a 10 month AT hike.

It's my philosophy that long distance hiking is fundamentally about the journey, not the destination. I can think of thousands of easier and cheaper ways to get to Katahdin than hiking the trail.

Train Wreck
10-26-2012, 23:36
In response to the OP:
I love mornings! When I was on the Long Trail, there was no better feeling than getting up early (yes, 5:30 or earlier) and climbing on a peak to watch the mist floating through the valleys. I remember having to go slow one morning because I had a friend meeting me at the road crossing (6 miles away) at 10:30, and it was a long wait.

For me, going fast and far is not so much about getting the trail done quickly, but about doing it in the way I find most enjoyable. Getting to a shelter at 3:00 in the afternoon and spending the next six hours hanging around camp is much less fun than putting in some extra miles that day. If you're sleeping a healthy 8-9 hours, you've got at least 15 hours in a day...I wouldn't want to spend more than a third of that sitting around, and my enjoyable hiking pace is at least 2 miles per hour. Just by default, that puts me at a 20 mile day.
Now, I'll agree that there are some people that lose sight of the beauty of the trail because they want to cover mileage, interpreting the AT as a physical accomplishment rather than a spiritual journey. HYOH, but those people are not me. I highly doubt that this is the majority of people you're talking to, even if they're not terribly social.

I love meeting people on the trail and when I was out on the Long Trail for a few days I began to crave company, but I've rarely heard that as a reason people want to spend 6 months away from civilization. Your "hike" sounds fabulous and I'm sure you'll meet like-minded people somewhere along the way. In trail towns especially, I imagine you'll find loads of people who want to chat with social backpackers. When your AT trip (of whatever length) is over, I'd highly recommend going NOBO on the Long Trail. It has many more people of your mindset, who are a joy to interact with. A five week Long Trail trip is orders of magnitude more practical than a 10 month AT hike.

It's my philosophy that long distance hiking is fundamentally about the journey, not the destination. I can think of thousands of easier and cheaper ways to get to Katahdin than hiking the trail.

Very good post!

Miami Joe
10-27-2012, 01:16
A regular backpacking trip can be had on the AT without all the fuss of the "Forced March" and yes, carrying a 75 lb pack and doing 7 mile days is perfectly suitable too. I find the forced march types comical by their behaviors. When you stop to talk to one on the trail they never remove their packs and they're always inching forwards on the trail as if there's someone chasing them. Many of them are totally wired into the shelter system and the Rat Box Connection---that strange affliction to reach a shelter no matter how far it is near the end of a hiking day. It makes me wonder what they would do without shelters.

And it's always fun to watch them "hold court" at a shelter at the end of a thruhiking day of backpacking. Three months on the trail and they've become self-appointed experts on all things hiking and backpacking. Newbs sit around the shelter picnic tables in awe as the Old Hands drone on and on about the Art of Backpacking and Miles Walked and Weight Carried.

I met one recently at the Thomas Knob shelter in Mt Rogers and he went on and on about gear needed and pack adjustments and the best hiking shoes and he added just the right amount of trail weariness to denote a Cool Expertise. He would take questions from eager observers but never asked questions from anyone. He mentioned something about cold weather camping and I got a question in and asked him "Have you ever camped in the snow?" He said "No, never." I laughed and knew his whole rant was in a self-induced Newb Fever pretending to be the Cool Expert.

I love me some Tipi. Always keeping it real.

russb
10-27-2012, 09:54
I am a very social person. But when I am hiking I am out there for hiking, not socializing. I don't mind company, but I am not out there looking for someone to talk to. As for doing 20-30-50 mile days. I am out there to hike, so why wouldn't I be hiking. I arise often before the sun and often eat my first meal after hiking a few miles. Many people sleep in due to staying up so late. I really enjoy the mornings. I would guess many miss out on that experience. But I do not condemn them for missing it. I also do quite a bit of camping, and for those trips I am not out hiking as much, but may be exploring the surrounding area. I think the OP needs to focus more on his own hike and not the hikes of others. They are out their for themselves, not to provide conversation on the trail for someone looking for a social experience. If one craves a social experience, head to town and hit the nearest pub or call a chat line.

HikerMom58
10-27-2012, 10:00
I am a very social person. But when I am hiking I am out there for hiking, not socializing. I don't mind company, but I am not out there looking for someone to talk to. As for doing 20-30-50 mile days. I am out there to hike, so why wouldn't I be hiking. I arise often before the sun and often eat my first meal after hiking a few miles. Many people sleep in due to staying up so late. I really enjoy the mornings. I would guess many miss out on that experience. But I do not condemn them for missing it. I also do quite a bit of camping, and for those trips I am not out hiking as much, but may be exploring the surrounding area. I think the OP needs to focus more on his own hike and not the hikes of others. They are out their for themselves, not to provide conversation on the trail for someone looking for a social experience. If one craves a social experience, head to town and hit the nearest pub or call a chat line.

Gotta love the morning peeps & I think I hear ya on the socializing piece...are you advising the "talkative types" to phone a friend? ;) It's good to embrace all types of people.

russb
10-27-2012, 11:22
Gotta love the morning peeps & I think I hear ya on the socializing piece...are you advising the "talkative types" to phone a friend? ;) It's good to embrace all types of people.

LOL. Not at all. Just suggesting that if the trail isn't providing enough social interaction there are other options.

johnnybgood
10-27-2012, 12:13
The trail brings all types of people together. There are those who want to indoctrinate others on their new found wisdom and seem to relish the attention they receive. They brag about big miles like that's the objective to hiking the AT. Others are more the quiet breed of hiker that may be introverts off the trail and may be perceived as awkward in social settings. They go about their mundane routines at camp without saying more than a customary "hello" and a smile but seem friendly enough.
Then there are the really out going types that have everyone as a friend before breaking camp and appear to enjoy other peoples company . Seldom do they appear rushed and are still at the shelter after I hit the trail .
If you are out there long enough then you're bound to run into all of these, maybe in the same day or at the same shelter.
I met a southbounder Tuesday that was making 30 mile days in SNP but wanted to hike a Nero that day to take care of a blister that he got the day before. He started sobo late after being laid off from his job and was walking big miles in an attempt to reach Springer by December 15th. We talked for awhile and then I wished him well on the rest of his journey.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2012, 15:43
My only trail encounters with southbounders occurred when I section-hiked Allen Gap to Wallace Gap in October '04. Yes, all were "in a hurry" of sorts but all of our conversations were more that just hello/goodbye. I never sensed any brusqueness on their part; they simply had a faster hiking pace than me. A few of them had logistical deadlines.

One guy's haste was quite understandable; he was from Boston and hiked over 25 miles to Franklin to catch Game 4 of the Red Sox's first World Series championship in 86 years!

evansprater
10-27-2012, 15:54
Great post HermesUL. Love it, and I love that you put hike in quotations... Hah!

Airman
10-30-2012, 13:14
Do your hike anyway you want it. I like hiking my way and that is all that matters.

HikerMom58
10-30-2012, 13:37
LOL. Not at all. Just suggesting that if the trail isn't providing enough social interaction there are other options.

Agreed!!! ..............:)

Mike2012
10-30-2012, 22:58
Been mostly on the the trail since March 11th. Hyoh and smiles b4 miles. Flipflop.

Riffraff!!!!

prain4u
10-31-2012, 03:13
To oversimplify things (and to overly generalize), I think trail people fall into two broad categories 1) "Hikers" (who camp) and 2) "Campers" (who hike). I think most people will find that one of those two styles will feel much more comfortable for them than the other one.

Hikers (who camp) really like being out on the actual trail and they look forward to seeing as many things as possible in a day. They get bored sitting around camp "doing nothing". They sometimes find encounters with other people to be more "draining" than "energizing". If it were physically and humanly possible, many "hikers (who camp)" would never stop to setup camp or to sleep. (They sometimes view setting up camp and sleeping as a necessary evils--which get in the way of hiking). For them, meal time is more about a need to take on calories--than it is an opportunity to have fellowship with other people. If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see many more pictures of scenery and "things" than pictures of people.

Campers (who hike) tend to really like the social aspects of the trail. They thrive on (and become energized by) discussions around the campfire. Mealtime is viewed as an excellent opportunity to be with other people (instead of a just a time to ingest calories). If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see more pictures of people --than pictures of just scenery. Pictures of scenery will often have a person in them somewhere' Hiking is sometimes viewed as a necessary evil in order to get from one campsite to another.

JAK
10-31-2012, 07:51
I think everyone has a pace that just compels them to move at that speed.
If you are lighter and fitter, and packing lighter, it tends to be faster.
I think we all hike like we breath. It's better not to think to much about it.

Deadeye
10-31-2012, 08:49

I like that one.

colorado_rob
10-31-2012, 09:14
To oversimplify things (and to overly generalize), I think trail people fall into two broad categories 1) "Hikers" (who camp) and 2) "Campers" (who hike). I think most people will find that one of those two styles will feel much more comfortable for them than the other one.

Hikers (who camp) really like being out on the actual trail and they look forward to seeing as many things as possible in a day. They get bored sitting around camp "doing nothing". They sometimes find encounters with other people to be more "draining" than "energizing". If it were physically and humanly possible, many "hikers (who camp)" would never stop to setup camp or to sleep. (They sometimes view setting up camp and sleeping as a necessary evils--which get in the way of hiking). For them, meal time is more about a need to take on calories--than it is an opportunity to have fellowship with other people. If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see many more pictures of scenery and "things" than pictures of people.

Campers (who hike) tend to really like the social aspects of the trail. They thrive on (and become energized by) discussions around the campfire. Mealtime is viewed as an excellent opportunity to be with other people (instead of a just a time to ingest calories). If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see more pictures of people --than pictures of just scenery. Pictures of scenery will often have a person in them somewhere' Hiking is sometimes viewed as a necessary evil in order to get from one campsite to another. Very insightful and nicely said ! The only thing I might disagree with is the social aspects of us "hikers" (who camp). I'm definitely in this category, but I still very much enjoy meeting and chatting with folks on the trail (vs. at camp, where yes, all I really want to do is sleep and take on calories, exactly as you say).

Cookerhiker
10-31-2012, 09:20
...Campers (who hike) tend to really like the social aspects of the trail. They thrive on (and become energized by) discussions around the campfire. Mealtime is viewed as an excellent opportunity to be with other people (instead of a just a time to ingest calories). If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see more pictures of people --than pictures of just scenery. Pictures of scenery will often have a person in them somewhere' Hiking is sometimes viewed as a necessary evil in order to get from one campsite to another.

Some "campers who hike" are not necessarily extroverted social butterflies. They hike leisurely paces but still avoid shelters and enjoy camping by themselves.

Mags
10-31-2012, 10:38
Some "campers who hike" are not necessarily extroverted social butterflies. They hike leisurely paces but still avoid shelters and enjoy camping by themselves.

Esp out West where you don't have the AT-like shelters in many places. Unless you bring a group with you, you tend to camp/hike by yourself (popular areas being the exception).

Otherwise, Prain4u...well said. Esp the part about the photos. :)

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 10:51

Campers (who hike) tend to really like the social aspects of the trail. They thrive on (and become energized by) discussions around the campfire. Mealtime is viewed as an excellent opportunity to be with other people (instead of a just a time to ingest calories). If you look at their hiking photo albums (or their facebook pages) you will probably see more pictures of people --than pictures of just scenery. Pictures of scenery will often have a person in them somewhere' Hiking is sometimes viewed as a necessary evil in order to get from one campsite to another.

I feel like I fall smack dab in the middle of these two styles. I really love being out the actual trail and look forward to seeing as many things as possible in a day.

I also love the social aspects of the trail. I become energized by being around people. I love taking pics of the people I meet and or the scenery- both are of equal importance to me.

You did a great job describing the 2 hiking styles and personalities.

I think everyone has a pace that just compels them to move at that speed.
If you are lighter and fitter, and packing lighter, it tends to be faster.

I really like this... soo true!!

jakedatc
10-31-2012, 10:56
well... Andrew Skurka has been talking about hikers vs campers for quite a while now. and just "updated" his feelings about it recently

http://andrewskurka.com/blog/

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 11:20
well... Andrew Skurka has been talking about hikers vs campers for quite a while now. and just "updated" his feelings about it recently

That was a very interesting read, jakedatc. It describes the difference very well. I like the term "stupid light". I never heard that b4.
I think the most important thing to take away from this blog is-whether a backpacking hiker has more of a "camping style" going on or more of a "hiking style", they shouldn't be "written off" by the opposing "backpacking style" as inferior. It's just different. It's good to see the difference so one can declare which one they are but not get "slammed" by someone that is different. Ahhhh... we may be on to something here. :) Thanks for sharing!! :)

Mags
10-31-2012, 11:31

Think it is something most experienced outdoors people recognize. Notice I said "outdoors" rather than thru-hikers. Thru-hikers tend to have a narrow definition of what constitutes outdoor activity :) Heck, many thru-hikers never do outdoor things UNLESS it is a thru-hike. Wait two years to go hiking? No thanks.

evansprater
10-31-2012, 12:58
Glad this post turned out the way it did and no one (well, for the most part) got too pissy. I have learned a lot from you guys already, and I think I'm like HikerMom and really love the hiking AND social aspects of it all. Thanks guys for all the great discussion!!!

prain4u
10-31-2012, 14:08

That article is very good and I think this related article by Andrew Skurka is also very good (and pertinent to the current discussion on this thread).

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/is-lightweight-backpacking-label-dead/

jakedatc
10-31-2012, 14:20
Yep, I'm a big fan of Andrews and have learned a lot from his blog/how-to's and from his slideshows. maybe one day i'll get out and hike with him and Mags but we'll see.

Airman
11-11-2012, 22:10
A retired Airman from the USAF.

wornoutboots
11-12-2012, 23:36
I also met 10-K north of Spivey Gap, it was nearing dark in the snow & I was turned around where the blazes were a little spaced out & several logging roads came together. I had to wait until he was done peeing to ask him if I was still on the AT :). Then he kindly told me I was & told me of a few good campsites down near the Gap. It sounds like 10-K is in the lead when it comes to meeting WhiteBlazers on the trail?? As far as the OP, I get stir crazy if I'm sitting at a shelter for more than an hour or so before dark by myself so I normally start a little later than a thru would say 7:30-8:30 walk & stop until there is something I want to see or a place I want to hang out at, take my boots off, take a nap & such, then continue on, eat dinner on the trail, then find camp about 45 minutes before dark. Sometimes I hike 12's sometimes I hiked 25's. just depends on my mood, the company I've been camping with & so on

shelb
11-13-2012, 00:16

That is a really sad thought....

poncho
11-23-2012, 00:01
thank you --guess thats why i hike alone

waasj
11-25-2012, 18:19
NOBO have to deal with Baxter closing (probably been said, didn't feel like wading thru 12 pages of replies).

russb
11-25-2012, 20:17
I disagree with skurka partially for the same reasons other commenters on his blog have already stated. In general he is wrong about the gear for campers vs hikers. It can and often is the same. The difference is not gear or heavier gear. It isn't about using a tarp vs a tent. It is obvious he is a hiker and not a camper and doesn't really know what those of us who "camp" really bring and why. I do many outdoor activities which involve carrying gear and sleeping in the woods. My gear is basically the same for all the trips. the only real difference is the amount and type of food and beer I bring along. Perhaps a toy or two like a fishing rod, but I still sleep in a hammock and bring the same clothing.

Malto
11-25-2012, 22:40
I disagree with skurka partially for the same reasons other commenters on his blog have already stated. In general he is wrong about the gear for campers vs hikers. It can and often is the same. The difference is not gear or heavier gear. It isn't about using a tarp vs a tent. It is obvious he is a hiker and not a camper and doesn't really know what those of us who "camp" really bring and why. I do many outdoor activities which involve carrying gear and sleeping in the woods. My gear is basically the same for all the trips. the only real difference is the amount and type of food and beer I bring along. Perhaps a toy or two like a fishing rod, but I still sleep in a hammock and bring the same clothing.

Your logic doesn't proven him wrong at all. If you are primarily a "camper" by his definition you will likely be outfitted to optimize camping activities. Likewise for hikers. The fact that you carry the same when you do two styles of hikes is meaningless to his point.