PDA

View Full Version : Gear for first section hike this April

Rozzy
10-23-2012, 10:55
I'm day hiker starting from scratch when it comes to backpacking gear. I've decided that it's time to up my game. This April, I'm doing to do the Connecticut section of the AT, and over the summer, I'm considering a picking where I leave off in April and going through to Katahdin. If I don't end up doing that, I will do a lots of 3-5 day trips in the Whites over the summer.

Since my two biggest expenses will probably be my bag and my shelter, I thought it would be wise to seek advise here. I'm giving myself a budget of $600 for these items. Ideally, I would like to get the bag, pad, and shelter for $600.

Shelter:

I'm drawn to the idea of a tarp and a bivy, but I'm nervous about going in that direction. I'm not an experienced camper, and I'm not a McGuyver-type who is good at making rigs. From pricing things out, it looks like a tarp and bivy set up would be the best combination of affordable and light, but I'm seriously apprehensive about my ability to make this setup work for myself.

I'm leaning toward the Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. It's more money and little heavier, but it seems like it might be a better way to go for a rookie. I suspect I might convert to a tarp system someday. $319, 2 lbs 3 oz.

Sleeping Bag- Sea to Summit Trek 1 30 degree bag. It's affordable, fairly light, and I like the semi-rectangular shape. I'm a little concerned it won't be warm enough for April and I would consider going with the Trek II 20 degree. I'm a little concerned that might be a little hot for the summer, though, and it's also a lot heavier. $219 and 1 lb 13 oz. If I went with the Trek 2, it would run $249 and 2 lb 3 oz.

Pad - Not sure. For my budget, I think some kind of closed cell. Perhaps a Thermarest Z-Lite Sol, $45 14oz.

That would give me shelter and sleep for $585 and 4 lbs 14 oz. or $615 and 5 lb 4 oz with the warmer bag.

Does that sound reasonable? Should I not be so afraid to tarp? If I tarp, would I need a better bag? Am I foolish to not consider more expensive sleeping pads?

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:05
Tent: Lightheart Solo. if you use trekking poles.. lighter and cheaper than the Big Agnes. set up takes a bit of practice but there are good videos and directions.

Sleeping bag: Enlightened Equipment Revelation X 30* quilt. lighter and you can adjust for summer and under 200 bucks for serious quality.

Pad: Zrest is fine.. for 50 you can get Big Agnes Air Core. or for 60 the Klymit Static V

bear bag hanger
10-23-2012, 11:23
If you plan to be that far north during April, I would get the 20* bag or lower, maybe even a zero degree bag. The Big Agnes tent, I think, will be good. You can move to a lighter tarp during the summer, but it would require some sort of bug protection, which means added expense. I know a couple people with the Lightheart Solo or similar. It works quite well, but isn't that much lighter than the Big Agnes (1 lb 11 oz vs 1 lb 14 oz) and has a lot less space. Of course, a three oz savings is not something to sneeze at when winter backpacking.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 11:43
Who is talking winter?

The Solo has less space than the Fly creek how? it is longer and wider. it is also taller at 44" vs 38" 6" more headroom. it is super spacious for a 1 person

I did the CT section last year at the end of april in my REI Sub Kilo 20*.. which i consider more of a 30*. a 30* quilt with extra stuff worn is a pretty versatile piece of gear.

fredmugs
10-23-2012, 13:27
http://www.seatosummit.com/sleepingbags/micro.php

I got this and I like it. It comes is a 28 or 36 degree version. You can use it mummy or rectangular style and it completely opens for use as a quilt. I have only used it on the JMT/PCT and it didn't get below 40 so I can't comment on how well it stands up to the cold yet.

Creek Dancer
10-23-2012, 13:45
+1 on the Lightheart Solo. I love mine.

I would go with at least a 20 degree bag for April in Connecticut. I've experienced snow and upper teens overnight on the AT in the Smokies that time of year. But I am a cold sleeper.

I don't have any experience with a Z-lite, but the Big Anges Air Core is awesome.

jbsbestfan
10-23-2012, 13:48
I have a BA seedhouse 2 and use it for a 1 person, I have thought about downsizing, but like having all my gear in tent. I may get a fly creek 2, but keep in mind if you buy the fly creek 1 as opposed to the fly creek 2, you have much less room and only save a little money and a few ounces of weight.

Rozzy
10-23-2012, 15:02
Wow, great tip on the Lightheart Solo. That might be what I want. One of the things that interests me about tarps was not carrying the redundant weight of tent poles and hiking poles. The lightheart looks to me like a really nice compromise between tent and tarp, at a nice price.

jakedatc
10-23-2012, 15:22
Depending on your seam sealing skills.. it might be worth the extra fee to have them do it for you. I had time on my hands so i did it myself but it did take a while.

Creek Dancer
10-23-2012, 15:31
The Lightheart Solo is a great tent. (For tall people, or those who want even more room, there is the Solong. My boyfriend has this tent and is very pleased.)

I put this tent to the test during a very bad storm on Mt. Mitchell with high winds, driving rain and heavy hail. No problems. I trust this tent. I belive it's important to know and trust the gear you will depend upon. I also love that there is plenty of room inside. I guess you could say it is a 1.5 person tent with respect to floor space. I like to keep all my stuff inside the tent to keep it dry, rather than under a vestibule, and there is plenty of room to pull my pack inside and not be crowded.

If you get this tent, be sure that you either have it seam sealed by the company or do it yourself. And, either way, I suggest putting tent up outside and spraying it down good with a hose to be sure there are no leaks.

Welcome to the world of buying backpacking gear!

BigBlue
10-23-2012, 15:45
Take a look at Six Moon Design tents, they're not too expensive and really light. I have that sleeping bag, you'll need a warmer one. The insulated Big Agnes mats can't be beat, the Thermo is ok but kinda hard. Hope this helps.