PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze -> Platypus compatibility: easy solution

Hosaphone
10-23-2012, 12:05
Can't post on BPL so I figured I would just post here. Recently bought a Sawyer Squeeze just out of curiosity really. I figured out a very easy fix to the problem of the threads not being compatible with Platypus bladders.

I also bought the in-line filter plugs when I ordered my filter. If you look at the plugs, they have one part that fits almost perfectly into the opening of a Platy (or any other standard bottle). Then there is a little notch that would be perfect for putting an o-ring around. It seems like they were actually designed with this in mind.

So I went to Home Depot, walked into the plumbing/toilet repair section. Bought a "stem repair O-ring assortment" for $3. There were a bunch of o-rings in the assortment that were the perfect size.

Put the o-ring on, and then all you do is push the plug into the opening of the platy - forget the threads altogether. It creates a seal that is plenty waterproof and holds up to more than enough pressure for the purpose of the squeeze filter. I'm not sure how durable the o-ring will be (probably get brittle and break after a while, especially in cold weather), but I can always just throw another one in my pack - they weigh basically nothing.

My filter actually came with a plug on the input end that looks just like the grey one in this picture but with a rubber sleeve closing the end. If yours also came with this plug, you could probably just chop the end off and use that, instead of needing to buy the in-line kit.

Hope that helps somebody. I know a lot of people have been switching to Evernew bags to make use of the Sawyer filter, but they are hard to find and I'm attached to my 3L platy. This seems like it should work very well for me.
http://www.rei.com/skuimage/837889:80

leaftye
10-23-2012, 12:46
Thanks for posting this here too. I'm eventually going to do the same thing with some of my posts. Supposedly the Rum Runners flasks thread perfectly too. I'll find out later today when the big brown truck gets here.

Hosaphone
10-23-2012, 12:54
The rum runner flasks are pretty cool if they're as light as a platy. Main reason I really wanted to make my platypus work is that it's a massive 3L (I think the biggest Evernew is like 1.5L, and the rum runner ones look pretty small too). I like to drink from a water bottle and use the platy for bringing extra water to camp, etc. This gives me a total 4L capacity if I need it, but usually just carry 1L.

Seems like if I'm going to use a filter like this, though, that it might be a pain to put water in the platy and then filter into the bottle. Maybe I'll switch to an in-line system... But then I'd lose the ability to easily use drink mixes in my water bottle and not worry about keeping it clean. Will have to try it out and see what works better for me.

leaftye
10-23-2012, 13:03
I typically filter into a bottle because most of my trail diet is made up of shakes. Shakes benefit from being shaken shortly after water is introduced, which means I have to filter beforehand.

The Rum Runners flask is only 32 oz (~1L). I believe my Evernew bladder is 2L, but as you said, they're hard to buy.

leaftye
10-24-2012, 22:56
The rum runner flasks are pretty cool if they're as light as a platy.

Short answer: It's not compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze.

The threads are a different pitch, and it leaks even worse than a Platypus bladder. The strange part is that a soda bottle cap will securely seal a Rum Runners flask, and that soda bottle will securely seal with the Sawyer Squeeze. I would have thought that would also mean the Rum Runners flask would work with the Sawyer Squeeze, but it doesn't. I don't know why the other things work.

I didn't weigh it because this flask isn't very useful to me. Let me know if you still want to know what it weighs, and I'll throw it on a scale after it dries.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 23:03
Weird.. i wonder if it is a depth issue.. not the thread pitch. does the Rum runners not go far enough into the Squeeze?

Hosaphone
10-24-2012, 23:15
Posting pictures just to clarify what I did. Works perfectly fine, I can put as much pressure on the platypus as I want and no leaks.

leaftye
10-24-2012, 23:22
Here's the measurements between threads:

0.12" Sawyer Squeeze bladder
0.12" Evernew bladder
0.12" Lipton Green Tea 1.5L bottle
0.18" Rum Runners flask

I don't remember where I put my Platypus bladder.

As you can see, there's a significant difference in thread pitch. That's definitely the problem.

leaftye
10-24-2012, 23:24
Thanks for the pictures. That really clears things up. If I don't sell my Platypus and Rum Runners bladders, I'll use your solution.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 23:29
glad i got my Evernew when i did then.