PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Start Time and General Advice

Moosky
10-23-2012, 18:19
Hello all,

Moosky here. I was planning for a 2014 NOBO thru-hike when I realized that my visa expires in February 2014! Sadness strikes :(

So, I am now exploring the idea of a SOBO. The earliest I can start is around early-mid July 2013. Adding 5 and half months to that, I'm looking at mid to late November. Perfect! I can beat the visa expiration date that way! Of course, this is assuming I'll be able to complete the thru hike. I've done quite some reading on NOBO, but now I'm struck by how little I know about SOBO. So here is a list of questions I have. Thanks in advance WhiteBlaze! Awesome community.

1. When do SOBO hikers typically start?
2. What apparel do SOBO hikers carry when they start? What about tent (3 season vs 4 season) and sleeping bag (temp rating)?
3. Is the 100-mile wilderness in ME too much for newbie hikers? (I will exercise a lot by climbing stairs under weight (I'm in NYC, no shortage of stairs here). So I should be in decent shape before I start.)
4. What are some of the key differences between NOBO and SOBO, in terms of preparation, timing, gear, physical and mental strength?
5. What kind of weather will I encounter?
6. Will trail towns close down after the peak summer period?
7. Will the Smokey become impassable?
8. Anything else I should know?

I'm sad I won't be able to do a NOBO. I think peaking the Katahdin is the perfect way to finish such a feat! Again, thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Moosky

endoplatypus
10-23-2012, 19:27
Hey there, just wanted to add that I am in a similar situation - was planning NB 2014, but I'm now looking at a SB 2013 so I can get hit the trail much sooner after graduating college. Totally agree with Katahdin being a great finish, but I think there are many good reasons for SB as well such as walking with fall and more solitude (if that's what you prefer). As for the questions you posed, I do not have enough knowledge to answer, in fact I share many of your questions and will be following this thread with interest!

moldy
10-23-2012, 20:22
1. Learn about Maine blackfly season. Late July will be a better start date than early July.
2. The 3 season tent is good and a 20 degree bag. Light clothing and a down jacket work well.
3. The 100 mile wilderness should change it's name to the 73.5 mile wilderness, and even that is wrong. There is a hostel out there now. Kids and old people hike it every year. You should be fine.
4. No difference, SOBO's start in mid June or later, NOBO's start in March.
5. The weather varies year to year. The thing to worry about is rain.
6. No, everything will be pretty much open in towns. Many park facilities may be closed.
7. The Smokies won't cause much trouble for very long during that time of year its not Donner Pass.
8. You should know that it's a long long way to Tipparray...

Blissful
10-23-2012, 20:26
I have a SOBO vs NOBO series on my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Southbound%20AT%20vs%20Northbound%20AT)rather than duplicate it all here if you want to take a look. It's in three parts - The Beginning, Social Aspects, and Outfitters / Resupply.

map man
10-23-2012, 20:50
I'm only going to address the question of when to start a SOBO. First off, your math is off by a month. If you start in early to mid-July and take 5.5 months you will finish in late December, not late November. And this points to the dilemma SOBOs face.

Most SOBOs start between the first day the Hunt trail is opened to the top of Katahdin (can be as early as May 15 and as late as the first week in June but is most commonly in the May 20-30 window) and the end of July (with a few leaving later than that). It varies from year to year but in a typical year earlier starters (the May and June starters) face more black flies and mosquitos in their earlier days and also face stream fording in Maine in higher waters due to spring rain and snow melt.

But the drawback for the later starters is that the later they start the later they finish and by December 21 you'll have about 15 hours of darkness each day and just 9 hours of decent light. On November 21 let's call it 14 hours of darkness and 10 hours of light, give or take. And as you hint at in your post, the later you arrive at Springer the more winter conditions you will have likely hiked through in the southern mountains toward the end to get there.

When I've considered this question the compromise that seems wisest to me is to start around the summer solstice (June 22 most years) and try to complete in less than five months if possible, ending before Thanksgiving. If you can't start until early to mid-July, then you will have plenty of company and your task will likely be easier if you fall in with a group that doesn't dawdle (I'm not talking about speed hiking here -- just hiking with a little alacrity).

My bias when addressing this question is that I really don't care much for long nights on the trail. Even late October can seem like the days just don't have as much daylight as I would like.

wcgornto
10-23-2012, 20:51
Mid-July plus five and a half months is end of December. I hired SOBO June 14 to November 29. The later you start in July, the later in December you should expect to finish. With a later start, you should change out to cold weather gear before SNP. Don't wait until Daleville or Pearisburg. You will be fine with a 30 to 40 degree bag to start, but should switch to a 10 to 15 degree bag for the finish. I know people who comfortably hiked the full AT SOBO with a 20 degree bag, but this was with a mid June start. A three season tent (or even better, Tarptent) will be fine. No need for the extra weight I'd a 4 season tent.

Moosky
10-23-2012, 23:30
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming! And excuse my bad math. :D

Moosky
10-23-2012, 23:33
Endoplatypus, good to know! Maybe we'll see each other on the trail.

BoshyTime
10-25-2012, 17:20
1. July is seems to be standard. I left August 28th & didn't have to deal with blackflies or that many mosquitoes, but I did encounter a snow storm in the whites when i got there. When you leave depends on the type of trip you want to have and what type of weather you're comfortable with.
2. Typical three season gear should be enough. If you start early-mid July you might wanna think about starting with a bag thats rated around 40degrees & switch it out for a 20degree bag when it starts to get colder. A three season tent is enough.
3. The 100mile wilderness is the easiest part in maine. Just be sure to bring more food than you think you'll need. You'll be doing 115miles along with the Katahdin summit before a resupply.
4. SOBO's can encounter worse weather in the whites depending on how late they start. SOBO's hit a hard stretch of trail early on. The saddlebacks to the whites is pretty hard. Prep is the same. Timing depends on what type of hike you want to do. Earlier warmer days longer days, but bugs. Later no bugs, shorter days, colder, possible snow. Nothings different with the mental/physical SOBO's and NOBO's hike the exact same trail.
5. Depends on when you start. If you do early July the whites could be cold and will be windy. You probably won't get anything thats real cold until the smokies.
6. After October you'll have some hostels close down, before then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
7. No part of the trail will become impassable. You might see snow you might not in the Smokies. Last winter was very light. I did a few trips out to the smokies and never got any snow that stayed around after morning.
8. Theres no good outfitters until you get to Lincoln NH. Make sure you gear is gonna work - especially your boots/shoes. The selection at every outfitter before Lahouts in Lincoln is poor.

yellowsirocco
10-25-2012, 17:48
SOBOs have to have their s*** together or have a high tolerance for pain. If you need an outfitter you have 115 miles of hiking and then a car ride to Greenville. Even then the outfitter in Greenville doesn't cater to the long distance hiker. NOBOs hit an outfitter at a little over 30 miles and it is one of the best outfitters in the country. NOBOs can stop at Woody Gap at mile 20 and get a ride to Mountain Crossings for a gear overhaul. NOBOs can arrive at Springer in idiotic form and let Winton Porter fix them up.

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2012, 17:55
By mid June usually over 80 MEGAs will have summited Katahdin and have entered the 100 Mile.
2. What apparel do SOBO hikers carry when they start?
Too much.
2.5What about tent (3 season vs 4 season) and sleeping bag (temp rating)?
4 season not needed. 30 degree just fine.
3. Is the 100-mile wilderness in ME too much for newbie hikers?
Nope.
4. What are some of the key differences between NOBO and SOBO, in terms of preparation, timing, gear, physical and mental strength?
Southbounders are usually younger, seems to me. But by the time you hit Caratunk you'll be a vet.
Warm days and cool nights.
Check your guidebook. some services do close at the 'end' of hiking season.
No telling what the weather will be that far in advance.
Deet, long sleeves. long pants, and a head net. Use that tent as a bug bivy in shelters. You hang your food because of red squirrels, not bears.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29

Moosky
10-25-2012, 18:22
By mid June usually over 80 MEGAs will have summited Katahdin and have entered the 100 Mile.
2. What apparel do SOBO hikers carry when they start?
Too much.
2.5What about tent (3 season vs 4 season) and sleeping bag (temp rating)?
4 season not needed. 30 degree just fine.
3. Is the 100-mile wilderness in ME too much for newbie hikers?
Nope.
Southbounders are usually younger, seems to me. But by the time you hit Caratunk you'll be a vet.
Warm days and cool nights.
Check your guidebook. some services do close at the 'end' of hiking season.
No telling what the weather will be that far in advance.
Deet, long sleeves. long pants, and a head net. Use that tent as a bug bivy in shelters. You hang your food because of red squirrels, not bears.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29

Thank you TJ!

On #2, do you have a recommended list of clothing?
On #8, do I need a freestanding tent to be able to set up in the shelter?
Also on #8, I read about people using a tin can lid (or something similar) on the food bag to prevent rodents. Do I need to carry one?

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2012, 19:25
On #2, do you have a recommended list of clothing?
For Baxter and the 100 Mile: One long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve shirt, one pair of zip-off pants, one pair shorts, three pair socks, a fleece jacket, a raincoat, a fleece hat, and a baseball hat. Gaiters, footwear, underwear are a matter of personal choice. Mail your town clothes ahead to Monson.
On #8, do I need a freestanding tent to be able to set up in the shelter?
No no no no no. Just use the tent as a bivy. Slide your pad and bag inside, climb in and zip it shut. Sleep bug free.
Also on #8, I read about people using a tin can lid (or something similar) on the food bag to prevent rodents. Do I need to carry one?
Nope, only needed in shelters to baffle the mice, and every shelter has them.

Moosky
10-26-2012, 07:24
Thanks so much!

fredmugs
10-26-2012, 13:00
Climbing stairs is more than enough. You don't need to add any artificial weight. The only training I do is a recumbent bike and I never put on a pack until I hit the trail.

Learn as much as you can about blister prevention and treatment.

rickb
10-27-2012, 08:08
Climbing stairs is more than enough. You don't need to add any artificial weight. The only training I do is a recumbent bike and I never put on a pack until I hit the trail.

Learn as much as you can about blister prevention and treatment.

Fred, Good comments about blister prevention and treatment.

Do you think it possible hat blister are more of a problem for SOBOS's?

I am thinking the the SOB trail could be wetter than that for Northbounders at the start, when one is at greatest risk for blisters. Walking in wet feet can definitely increase one's chances of getting some bad ones.