PDA

View Full Version : ULA Camino

Flachenmann
10-23-2012, 19:43
Hey! I'm looking to purchase a ULA Camino for my upcoming SOBO thru. I've heard plenty of great thing about ULA, particularly about the Circuit and the Catalyst. I've heard next to nothing about the Camino though.

The panel loading looks great plus i organize all my stuff color coordinated stuff sacks anyways. I'm just looking for some reviews and thoughts on the Camino by owners, prior to purchasing.

Flachenmann
10-24-2012, 03:19
just bumpin

swjohnsey
10-24-2012, 07:33
I have a Catalyst and Ohm 2.0. Didn't see a Camino on the trail that I recall. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You pay a slight weight penalty for the panel loading. The only thing I see that could potentially be a problem is the zipper, zippers break.

Lyle
10-24-2012, 10:23
A friend of mine has one. He likes it. Very convenient for organizing. I would trust ULA to stand behind it, but there is the hassle factor if the zipper breaks. It is occasionally a bit tight for bulky items.

Personally, I've always had an aversion to panel loading packs. When packed full, they place a LOT of strain on the zippers. Since zippers have traditionally been one of the weak spots for long-term durability in pack construction, I just have avoided them. I think draw cords and straps are more dependable long-term, and can be improvised.

If I were to carry a panel loader, I would make sure to carry needle and thread or dental floss for emergency repairs. At least a small handful of large safety pins as well so you can still have access in case of zipper failure.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:25
Basically, the camino is just like a circuit that loads differently? I own a Circuit and don't know why but I've never looked into this pack. I'm not a big fan of one compartment that loads from the top down. I find myself always having trouble prioritizing what goes on top and the bottom.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:27
And gaining access to things in the middle of your pack can sometimes be a pain. Pros and cons to everything I guess.

MightyMouse
11-03-2012, 14:07
Anybody know for sure if I can get the Camino in a Small? Waiting on Chris to return my call, hoped someone here may know.

chiefduffy
11-03-2012, 18:55
...When packed full, they place a LOT of strain on the zippers..

I think that is why the Camino has compression straps inside the pack, to relieve the strain on the zipper.

Lyle
11-03-2012, 21:10
I think that is why the Camino has compression straps inside the pack, to relieve the strain on the zipper.

Yeah, I'm sure that helps, not convinced it completely alleviates the strain though.

Probably just me, I like to keep things as simple as possible. Basic, standard transmission Ford Ranger with power NOTHING. Fewer things to go wrong, less time dealing with repairs, lower cost. Gets me from point A to point B just as fast as a fancy vehicle.

MightyMouse
11-04-2012, 06:24
Makes perfect sense to me!

SloHiker
11-04-2012, 09:29
I’d use that pack with confidence if it’s what you like. Blown zippers on properly used packs of decent quality are about as rare as chicken teeth. Unless you have a tendency to jerk on zippers like a 4thGrader, I don’t think you’ll have issues with zipper failure.

Our military uses panel loaders, and yes they frequently blow zippers. But those users are carrying more weight under more unfavorable conditions you will ever encounter backpacking.

Lastly, unless you’re carrying a load of marbles, you load isn’t likely going anywhere in the rare event a zipper should malfunction. Since you organize with stuff sacks it should be a non-issue.