PDA

View Full Version : New Plans...

southgaman48
10-23-2012, 21:24
Since I am taking my 10 year old son...and my 28 year daughter, who, along with me have never done any back country camping. I am looking for a nice three day, two night hikes in the north georgia, AT area. Im afraid the no turning back might be a problem for my youngest, and if he doesnt like the idea of being in the woods at night, it might scare him away from the adventure. Any thoughts?

canoe
10-23-2012, 21:37
Children often follow where they are led. If you act afriad they will too. Are YOU the one who is schetch out? If you are afraid of the no turning back dont go so far in. Or better yet camp at a camp ground hike during the day. the whole camp/hike/no turning back thing For a family who has never been in the woods before things can get over whelming. There will be night sounds that can be scary. just dont tell any ghost stories

southgaman48
10-23-2012, 21:41
Thanks for the reply...No..im fine with it...and love the solitude...And would look forward to it...I just know my son...Im

canoe
10-23-2012, 21:54
I am sure you guys will have a great trip.

Feral Bill
10-23-2012, 22:35
A ten year old can be good for a major hike, or just a couple of miles. Make the trip about him. Hike a short way into an interesting place (lake, creek, mountain top) and camp there for a couple of nights, and explore during the day. Take pictures, too. Get an area map and you should find something good.

yellowsirocco
10-23-2012, 22:36
Standing Indian Loop is always great for noobs. It is right in NC, so just past your area, but a really nice area.

Papa D
10-23-2012, 22:45
P/M me if you want to - I'll give you the skinny on good spots not to far from Clayton, GA and the AT in N-Ga - your 10-year old should be fine if it's done right.

daddytwosticks
10-24-2012, 07:08
Standing Indian Loop is always great for noobs. It is right in NC, so just past your area, but a really nice area. That was my first thought. Park down by the campground and do the loop. Plenty of early baitout opportunities if you must. Relatively easy hiking. :)

joshuasdad
10-24-2012, 20:41
+1 on Standing Indian. You can park at the Backcountry Information Center for free (I just did for 2 weeks) on the "bailout" road. Kimsey Creek Trail is a nice way to get to the AT.

Blissful
10-24-2012, 21:07
At that age I found somewhere flat and easy (only a few miles) to introduce my son, along with a fun spot at the end (It was in the summer and a rock water slide area).