PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Bus

starbright
10-24-2012, 06:55
I'm planning on taking the bus to get to Gainesville, GA. My question is when traveling by bus do you put your pack in the bus storage or keep it on bus with you.

Will have 2 transfers and multible stops. About 16 hours on rode.

Don H
10-24-2012, 08:12
They put my pack in the baggage compartment. Every time a changed busses I claimed my pack at carried it to the next bus.
It's not like transferring planes where they move your luggage from plane to plane during transfers.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:09
I would imagine you COULD bring it with onto the bus if you wanted too.... but it would be pretty uncomfortable having your pack down by your legs on a trip that far. Not sure if overhead compartments are available? I guess it depends on kind of bus you take.

turtle fast
10-24-2012, 10:17
The seating on your typical greyhound would not have enough room for a pack, they stow it in the compartments below. Just remember to put something on your bag to identify that it is yours like a hang tag or a sticker. Just remember that the bus company too can weigh your bag and you may have to pay for an overweight bag per pound.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:22
^^ Definitely some type of ID card with all of your information... I like the ol' bright orange bandanna on the bag as well for easy spotting.

Raymond James
10-24-2012, 10:32
The driver will want to put it underneath with the rest of the luggage even if there is is an empty seat. The pack will not fit above or under your seat. A small day pak but not a backpack. Like Don H said you get off and get your bag during trainsfers. If you are worried that someone else willl take it at stops -sit on the right had side of the bus so you can see what comes off. If the bus is stopping for any length of time get off hit the bathroom then get a drink or snack and walk around next to the bus. When you see the driver headed back onto the bus get on right away as this helps keep the bus on schedual.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 10:39
Yep, going under the bus. make sure you buckle the waist belt and tuck in other straps so it won't get caught up.

50lb is the weight limit on greyhound... a good reason to pack lighter, your body will thank you.

turtle fast
10-24-2012, 10:42
Also mind you a bus is not too conducive for taking a snooze, you invariably get people who talk on the cell at 2 in the morning or the group who just wont stop talking. Just keep an eye on your personal belongings as unfortunately as the cheapest transportative option you can get some unsavory characters.

Slo-go'en
10-24-2012, 10:57
I've traveled many times to and from the trail via bus. 16 hour ride isn't bad. Try 32 hours a few times for the full experinace :)

I always clip the waist band around the back of the pack as it helps keep my hiking poles in place. Cinch up the shoulder straps too. ID tag is required and if there are transfers, you will get a tag for the pack showing at what stops it comes off the bus.

I like to try to be one of the first people on and off the bus. This allows me to get an asile seat near the front. Asile seat as I can streach my legs out into the aisle and it keeps fat people from sitting next to me and squishing me against the window. Near the front as you don't hear as much engine noise and is less bumpy then the rear. And being one of the first off means you can grab your pack before anyone else can, but that really isn't a problem as they have thier own luggage to deal with.

The main problem with the "unsavory characters" isn't a threat of having anything stolen, it's just listening to thier sob stories in an effort to get you to give them money. One of the common ones is "I just need a few more dollars to buy a ticket home". If I had a dime for every time I heard that line, I could buy a ticket home.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 11:12
Anything over 10+ hours on a bus sucks pretty bad. I did 15 hours in a bus in Argentina and it was not pleasant... even though I had top row, front seats at a huge bay window with wine and whiskey at my fingertips.

Feral Bill
10-24-2012, 11:26
Make sure and buy a refundable ticket. If anything goes wrong (which is likely) Greyhound will take no responsibility. Their customer service is appalling. If they screw you up big time, a visit to the better business bureau will likely eventually get you compensation.

Alligator
10-24-2012, 11:45
If that is your actual location (Wynne) you could grab the Megabus (from Memphis) to Atlanta and the trip would only be 8 hours, no stops. I have found the Megabus to be a much nicer bus than Greyhound. Plus it ought to be about $30 or less. You would have to stow your pack.

Most bus lines I have used the overhead compartments do not fit packs too well. I have sat with my pack at my feet and it is fairly uncomfortable. If you have a camp pillow, keep it handy. You should have earplugs if you have any shelter plans, keep those handy as well. However, I have found most riders to be reasonably quiet on several overnight rides but I have been avoiding Greyhound of late. Megabus has wifi and outlets and other lines are working on that so if you have a charger keep it with you too.

garlic08
10-24-2012, 12:02
I put the stuff I want in my seat in my food bag and keep that with me.

If you take the bus home from a trail, you won't have to worry about scary, smelly people sitting next to you.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 12:10
I put the stuff I want in my seat in my food bag and keep that with me.

If you take the bus home from a trail, you won't have to worry about scary, smelly people sitting next to you.

everyone else will!

Dogwood
10-24-2012, 16:03
I typically hike with a small 3400 cubic pack with nothing hanging off it outside the pack. If there is room on the bus/train/plane, etc I MUCH prefer having my pack in the overhead, underneath the seat, or on the seat next to me. BUT, the Dog typically overbooks their routes so bus seats are typically all taken. So, when there is no room my pack goes underneath in the storage area of the bus. I prefer placing my own pack under the bus. BUT, I watch and check on my my pack at stops! AND, I prefer to handle my own pack at ALL transfers. I'll even insist on it even if it means I need to be pushy. It's a good suggestion to sit on the right side of the bus where baggage is unloaded so you can see what's going on. Some of the worst baggage(backpack) handlers I've ever seen work for the Dog! Beware! I took the Dog from Atlantic City to Gainesville GA for my AT thru. I had three transfers. I watched one Greyhound baggage handler yank my pack out from a tangled mass of bags from the underneath storage compartment by one of the shoulder straps at one transfer. At another transfer the baggage handler grabbed my pack one shoulder strap and plopped it down on the tarmac into a puddle of motor oil. Third transfer is when I got pushy about handling my own pack!

Another thing to be aware of when traveling on the Dog is transfers. You have two. Even though you have already paid for a bus fare, IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE FRONT OF THE REBOARDING QUE AT TRANSFERS YOU COULD BE DENIED REBOARDING AND HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE BUS TO TRANSFER !!! It's happened to me two times on the Dog, once on my way to Gainesville GA to hike the AT. I had to wait 9 hrs through the night outside the locked(closed) terminal in Richmond Virginia before the next transferring bus arrived the next morning!

TRY TO AVOID TRAVELING ON THE DOG ON FRI, SAT, AND SUN IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. That's especially when the routes are typically over-booked AND you'll likely be around someone who's drunk, high, and/or inconsiderately LOUD.

I know many hikers are eager to hit the trail once in GA, but after a LONG cramped bus ride I would recommend staying at the Dalonega Hostel run by Josh and Leigh Saint so you can get a fresh start on your thru-hike. Get a good hearty B-fast, gear check, and ride to the TH and AWAY YOU GO!

TEXMAN
10-24-2012, 17:32
If you return home on the bus after hiking be aware that the rest of the world doesn't understand HIKING..
I came back to Dallas from Virginia after 2 months on the trail. When the bus stopped in Texarkana the local officials had the drug dogs go through everyones luggage..Only one bag was identified by the dogs as suspect ...MY Pack... after i had let them go through the pack I had to explain to them why I was traveling so lite, where I had been etc...they really didn't have a clue about what I was telling them .... I think the dogs smelled some of my water purification chemicals ( I was using iodine at the time) or maybe my pack had rubbed up against some illegal smells in the shelters ...

Riders beware

Old Man River

Mother Natures Son
10-24-2012, 17:56
I've traveled on the the dog (to and from the trail for years). DON"T DO IT!!! I have enough bad travels to last a lifetime. There was one trip where the ticket agent "forgot" the night bus was canceled and I was stuck in a seedy part of town, miles from home. Lucky me, I hitched a ride rather then sleep on the sidewalk untill the next morning. The Dog did not care. Never has, never will.

turtle fast
10-24-2012, 18:11
Reminds me of the time in Turkey I was dropped off by a bus at 1 in the morning at a place I had no idea where I was as the bus driver was motioning to me that this was my stop...problem was the bus was supposed to arrive at 7:30 in the morning at my destination. I was in the middle of a residential area with no clue of where I was, my map of my destination did not fit the local terrain. I was sure that this bus did not fly to its destination, so why such a time discrepancy. We ended up drinking tea for a few hours having some food and wandered the area, turns out the bus had left us in a newer area of town and who knows why the large time discrepancy.

mountainman
10-24-2012, 19:30
Greyhound employees and drivers are every rude and hatefull. You will be glad when it is over.

trapper
10-24-2012, 20:19
26hrs from Ohio to Vermont with a talon 44 on my lap the whole time with treking poles jabing me the whole way...no way my pack was leaving my side...if at all possible i will never ride a bus again

starbright
10-25-2012, 00:45
Thank you Alligator I will check into Megabus sounds safer I'll be doing the AT with all three of my children My son is 22 and my daughters are 21 and 17. Not sure the dog will be the choice for us.

oldbear
10-25-2012, 06:13
Starbright
I know that you're on a really strict budget But consider this: For twice what you're going to pay Greyhound , Delta will fly you from Memphis to Atlanta in 1hr 20 min
Just a thought

Deacon
10-25-2012, 06:30
26hrs from Ohio to Vermont with a talon 44 on my lap the whole time with treking poles jabing me the whole way...no way my pack was leaving my side...if at all possible i will never ride a bus again

Don't know where you are in Ohio but if you are in the northern part of the state, it is well worth taking the Amtrak instead. Ohio to Vermont is $80, no transfers, pack easily fits the overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88BlueGT
10-25-2012, 10:33
MegaBus seems to have very limited routes.

Slo-go'en
10-25-2012, 12:31
I belive Megabus only has stops in major cities, which is great if you only want to go from one city to another.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had any bad experiances riding the "dog". Sure, it's a cattle car, but so aren't airplanes these days. I did once got confused as to which gate I was suppost to be at in NYC and missed the last bus out of town to where I was going, but that was my own fault.

That said, I wouldn't want to take a trip lasting more than a day and a half. Just an overnight trip is enough to turn you into a zombie. And try to avoid traveling if there is even a hint of bad weather along the way, that can pose some real problems. The bottom line is buses can still get you to places fairly inexpensively that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to get to.

Odd Man Out
10-25-2012, 13:54
Assuming we are talking Memphis to Atlanta one way, then:

Amtrak would cost over $124 but take two days with an overnight layover in New Orleans (yuck).

Non-stop flights can be had for less than $150.

For 4 people, a cheaper option might be to rent a car (one way). I came up with a price of about $380 for two days. One-way car rentals can be cheap or expensive, depending on the drop-off fee. This one isn't such a good deal, but cheaper than train or plane for 4 people.

As per above, Greyhound has two transfers (middle of the night in Birmingham), multiple stops , 16 hrs, bad service, poor reviews, etc... On their web site, they did however list a direct bus (two stops, no transfers) from Memphis to Atlanta for $29.

Megabus - Direct bus, only one stop, One dollar (if you buy early)!

Dogwood
10-25-2012, 20:43
If you have four people going to GA share the costs and the driving. Rent a car one-way. Sleep in a hotel at night. Arrive in GA at the AT TH WITH SOME SANITY.

starbright
10-26-2012, 01:12
Thanks everybody for all the advice. I think I'll have to take both. Greyhound from Forrest City to Memphis then Megabus from Memphis to Atlanta. From there thinking about walking to the trail Whats a few more miles walking.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2012, 01:22
Thanks everybody for all the advice. I think I'll have to take both. Greyhound from Forrest City to Memphis then Megabus from Memphis to Atlanta. From there thinking about walking to the trail Whats a few more miles walking.

Walking from down town Atlanta to Springer would not be a pleasent walk. It's got to be at least a 50 mile road walk. It would take probably 3 days to do it and pray you don't get run over along the way. There are people who will shuttle you to the trail head and the price is usually by the car load.

starbright
10-26-2012, 01:25
Most of the prices I have been getting has been between $55 and $75 per person. On my budget thats not doable.

Don H
10-26-2012, 07:19
Please do not walk from Atlanta to Springer.
For a few bucks you can take the MARTA train from Atlanta to the North Springs Station (the red line).
Most people take a private shuttle from there.

oldbear
10-26-2012, 07:45
Just out of curiosity I looked up her proposed walk on Google maps and on foot it's 64.8 miles from
MARTA Civic Center - 435 W Peachtree St NW
to
Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge

88BlueGT
10-26-2012, 10:32
Agreed. A walk from Atlanta to Springer will be a horrible walk! Definitely not the safest option either. And third, I don't think you want to put 50 miles of asphalt miles on your new boots. Probably equivalent to 300 miles in the mountains.

Don H
10-26-2012, 11:15
If the MARTA ride I took from the airport to N. Springs is any indication you will travel through some pretty rough neighborhoods.
Where would you camp? You've already said you can't afford to stay in towns.
And I believe you've said you will have your children with you.

Honestly if you can't afford to get to the trail maybe you should reconsider what you're doing.
And I say this with true concern over you and your family's well being.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2012, 11:30
Most of the prices I have been getting has been between $55 and $75 per person. On my budget thats not doable.

If that is not doable on your budget, you have no buisness going on this trip in the first place. If $200 puts a significant dent in your money supply, then your not going to get far on the trail. Anyway, since there are four of you, you can probably negotiate a better price. The $75/pp is probably from the hiker hostel, which also includes an overnight stay, breakfest, a ride to the trail head and is a good deal. It's nice to be well rested and feed after a long bus ride before hitting the trail.

Red Hat
10-26-2012, 17:46
Starlight, do not walk from Atlanta. I'm pming you....

Dogwood
10-26-2012, 23:33
STARBRIGHT, I ALREADY LIKE YOUR GO WITH THE FLOW DO WHAT I MUST ENJOY THE JOURNEY ATTITUDE. I THINK NO MATTER WHAT WAY YOU GET TO THE TRAIL HEAD YOU'LL HAVE a GREAT JOURNEY.

Happy Trails.

DDubs.

starbright
10-27-2012, 01:55
Thank You Dogwood

yellowsirocco
10-27-2012, 02:31
I kind of winged it getting to Katahdin the first time. I thought I would hitch from Portland to Katahdin. It was an idiotic idea. It ended up being a more good than bad experience, but just barely. I had very good luck in the places that I needed it, but things could have gone a lot different.

Secondly trying to walk out of a city is horrible. I walked into and out of Leon, Spain and even with a dedicated path for the Camino it was miserable.

So, don't try to walk from Gainesville to Amicalola. Get a shuttle.

But Slo-go'en is right, it sounds like you should just stay home.

starbright
10-27-2012, 02:59
I appreciate all the advice good and bad that I have recieved on WB. But I am going to hike the AT whether most of you believe I can or not.
If I quit every time someone said thats not possible I probably would'nt be on here now.

yellowsirocco
10-27-2012, 04:07
I appreciate all the advice good and bad that I have recieved on WB. But I am going to hike the AT whether most of you believe I can or not.
If I quit every time someone said thats not possible I probably would'nt be on here now.

A can do attitude is great, but grocery stores don't accept positivity as a form of payment.

moytoy
10-27-2012, 08:10
It's an 8 hr drive from Wynne to Amicalola Falls. Can't you find a family member or friend that will drive you to the trailhead. It's less than $150 in fuel and an overnight stay in a motel for the driver.

jacob_springsteen
10-27-2012, 08:32

You did not say when you are leaving for Georgia. If you can plan it ahead of time sufficiently, you may be able to share a ride to Amicalola/Springer with other thru-hikers leaving same time frame. When I went to Georgia last spring, I took the Amtrak to Gainesville and lucked out with a hitch to AFSP. Look on trail journals and make contact on their trail forum to se if other thru-hikers are leaving same time as you....

Also, have you contacted the Appalachian Trail Conservancy for a list of shuttles to Springer? You may find someone who can do the shuttle for you very inexpensively. Granted, gasoline is 4 bucks a gallon now, so miracle rides aren't what they used to be.

moytoy
10-27-2012, 08:40
You did not say when you are leaving for Georgia. If you can plan it ahead of time sufficiently, you may be able to share a ride to Amicalola/Springer with other thru-hikers leaving same time frame. When I went to Georgia last spring, I took the Amtrak to Gainesville and lucked out with a hitch to AFSP. Look on trail journals and make contact on their trail forum to se if other thru-hikers are leaving same time as you....

Also, have you contacted the Appalachian Trail Conservancy for a list of shuttles to Springer? You may find someone who can do the shuttle for you very inexpensively. Granted, gasoline is 4 bucks a gallon now, so miracle rides aren't what they used to be.
Some good suggestions there. Gas prices in Ga., Tn., Al. and Ms. are about $3.30 right now.

Don H
10-27-2012, 09:00
There are some people here who have a lot of experience hiking the trail. Of the people who have taken their time to respond to you at least 3 are thru-hikers.

Of all the posts not one offered "Bad" advice. I would list to them, not just the ones telling you what you want to hear.

Whatever you decide I wish you and your family the best.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2012, 10:24
But I am going to hike the AT whether most of you believe I can or not.

It's not that we don't belive you can hike the AT, we're starting to wonder if you can afford to hike the AT. As a family of 4, I would guess you'd need at least $12,000 available to even come close to completing a thru-hike, which I belive is your intention. If you don't have anything close to that, time to start thinking about which kid(s) has to stay home and find a job.

Red Hat
10-27-2012, 10:58
Starbright, I am pulling for you, as you have a lot more going against you than your finances. Your health is a major issue. But, as Margaret Mead said "We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as unsolvable problems."

I've done this and know the cost involved, materially, physically, and emotionally. I'll be in GA if I can help.

Red Hat
10-27-2012, 10:58
Starbright, I am pulling for you, as you have a lot more going against you than your finances. Your health is a major issue. But, as Margaret Mead said "We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as unsolvable problems."

I've done this and know the cost involved, materially, physically, and emotionally. I'll be in GA if I can help.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2012, 11:02
Okay, I thought there was more to this story than I was aware of. Reading Starbright's earlier posts and couple of journal entries gives me a clearer picture. Given the lack of money and possible medical issues, all I can say is "Good luck", your gonna need lots and lots of it.

oldbear
10-27-2012, 14:08
Starbright
As long as you're going all in on this hike then lemme suggest a way that will make your transport to the trailhead a lot easier and put some more much needed money in your pocket
A week or two prior to your projected starting date sell your vehicle on E-Bay
The sale will be contingent on two conditions :
1) That the buyer be in Northern Georgia
2 )That they will either PU the vehicle at Amicalola Falls SP ...or will transport your party there

starbright
10-28-2012, 04:49
If I decided to drive there where could I park my vehicle for 6 months and not have to worry about it.
What do they charge for parking it so long.

Don H
10-28-2012, 07:00
You can park at Amicalola Falls State Park for the duration of a thru-hike.

The AT Guide gives you more information or call the park.

Don H
10-28-2012, 07:02
I don't believe they charge but you have to register with the park.

moytoy
10-28-2012, 07:57
The charge for parking at Amicalola is $5 at the hiker parking lot. When I was there last Oct there was a buick there that had been there since March. It's tires were a little low but otherwise had not been bothered. I'm not sure of all the regulations of parking there but I have left my truck for up to 3 weeks.

generoll
10-28-2012, 09:06
there's a one time $5 fee.

lucifer
10-29-2012, 02:22
I've done this and know the cost involved, materially, physically, and emotionally. Given the lack of money and possible medical issues, all I can say is "Good luck", you’re gone need lots and lots of it.

starbright
10-29-2012, 02:43
Thanks for all the information. Hope to see ya there