PDA

View Full Version : Hey Eastern MA hikers!

Rozzy
10-24-2012, 08:08
As I'm planning my section hike, I'm trying to get a gauge on what kind of mileage I ran reasonably expect to cover for NY and Connecticut or perhaps a weeklong NoBo out of Damascus or Harper's Ferry.

My experience is How does the Blue Hills Reservation Skyline trail compare to sections of the AT outside of New Hampshire or VT? All of my experience either Green Mts, White, Mts, or local Eastern MA. I would expect most places to be easier than NH/Northern VT. I'm guessing a lot of the trail outside northern New England might be somewhat similar to the Skyline.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 09:44
Except for 1 day on the north end of CT it is pretty flat.. annoying ups and downs mostly. 4 days should cover it

bamboo bob
10-24-2012, 09:56
The Skyline Trail is where I practiced for my thruhike many years ago. It is not all that different from a lot of the AT. However it is totally irrelevant. A few hours in the Blue Hills is nothing like day after day on the AT. Just get going and don't worry about it.

Rozzy
10-24-2012, 13:09
The Skyline Trail is where I practiced for my thruhike many years ago. It is not all that different from a lot of the AT. However it is totally irrelevant. A few hours in the Blue Hills is nothing like day after day on the AT. Just get going and don't worry about it.

Irrelevant to a thruhike, I'm sure. However, I know my pace on an 18 mile out and back hike in the Blue Hills, and I would think that might give me a ballpark of what I might hope to average over a 4 or 5 day section hike.