PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Smoothies

Rasty
10-24-2012, 14:16
Looking for Breakfast Smoothie recipes using Nido or powdered yogurt as a base. Anyone have any good recipes?

Thanks
Rasty

RED-DOG
10-24-2012, 15:54
Sounds like a lot of work for a little bit of nothing, don't think the pay off would be worth the effort.

Rasty
10-24-2012, 16:02
Sounds like a lot of work for a little bit of nothing, don't think the pay off would be worth the effort.

How so? Smoothies can be packed with calories and much simpler than other breakfasts. I can't stand oatmeal more than a few times of year and I am way to lazy to cook a real breakfast. Most smoothie recipes on the trail require mixing with water which doesn't seem like much effort. The right kind of recipe would be mixed ahead of time. I always pack my own food or do mail drops because I'm paticular about what I eat.

Deacon
10-24-2012, 16:12
Looking for Breakfast Smoothie recipes using Nido or powdered yogurt as a base. Anyone have any good recipes?

Thanks
Rasty

You could try doubling or even tripling up on the carnation instant breakfasts with less than called for water. I have a caldera caddy the one that screws together like a tumbler. Shake it up in the caddy. You could add berries, or part of a box of jello.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCBear
10-24-2012, 16:21
Think its a great idea. Hi calorie, gets in the system quickly and is used very efficiently. looking forward for some answers as well.

WingedMonkey
10-24-2012, 16:22
Backcountry Cooking: From Pack to Plate in 10 Minutes By Dorcas S. Miller pages 88-90 has some smoothie recipes, all for hot meals, some use milk. I've played around and adjusted some of them, I'm not much for hot breakfast on the trail unless it's cold.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MXqh0TtOacUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=smoothie&f=false

Rasty
10-24-2012, 16:24
You could try doubling or even tripling up on the carnation instant breakfasts with less than called for water. I have a caldera caddy the one that screws together like a tumbler. Shake it up in the caddy. You could add berries, or part of a box of jello.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Thanks. I don't know what I looking for but would like to test a few interesting from scratch recipes. I was thinking Nido, Yogurt Powder, Powderized fruit puree. Or chocolate, coffee combinations. I'm going to try taking Monin fruit purees and dehydrating then turning into a powder in a coffee grinder.

Rasty
10-24-2012, 16:26
Backcountry Cooking: From Pack to Plate in 10 Minutes By Dorcas S. Miller pages 88-90 has some smoothie recipes, all for hot meals, some use milk. I've played around and adjusted some of them, I'm not much for hot breakfast on the trail unless it's cold.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MXqh0TtOacUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=smoothie&f=false

Interesting! Thanks!

leaftye
10-24-2012, 19:12
http://www.nuts.com/driedfruit/strawberries/organic-powder.html

There's powdered fruit.

If you're only looking for flavor, you could use unsweetened Kool Aid.

I've been looking for powdered flavoring for a while:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82420-Powdered-flavoring-in-small-quantities

Or maybe go after both fruit and vegetable powder to help provide vitamins and antioxidents. I don't know if this particular product is any good.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-greenfoods-formulas-fruit-vegetable-powder-8-11-oz-230-grams-pwdr

Rocket Jones
10-24-2012, 19:51
add empty calories and thickening with a little instant pudding?

Rasty
10-24-2012, 21:52
http://www.nuts.com/driedfruit/strawberries/organic-powder.html

There's powdered fruit.

If you're only looking for flavor, you could use unsweetened Kool Aid.

I've been looking for powdered flavoring for a while:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82420-Powdered-flavoring-in-small-quantities

Or maybe go after both fruit and vegetable powder to help provide vitamins and antioxidents. I don't know if this particular product is any good.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-greenfoods-formulas-fruit-vegetable-powder-8-11-oz-230-grams-pwdr

Excellent sources of fruit and whey protein.
thanks.

Rasty
10-24-2012, 21:54
add empty calories and thickening with a little instant pudding?

Actually I'm looking for somewhat nutritious recipes.

leaftye
10-24-2012, 22:01
Oh no, you brought out my bat signal when you said protein. I'll try to keep it short this time.

You'll be eating so much food that you'd have to try to not have enough protein. You'll easily consume more protein than a professional bodybuilder without trying. I highly encourage you to put proposed meal plans into a spreadsheet so you can actually see how much protein you're consuming. My results have convinced me to reduce the protein from my 3000 calorie a day shakes and replace them with more carbs and fat. For the same weight and bulk, I'll get another a couple hundred more calories.

Rasty
10-24-2012, 23:07
Oh no, you brought out my bat signal when you said protein. I'll try to keep it short this time.

You'll be eating so much food that you'd have to try to not have enough protein. You'll easily consume more protein than a professional bodybuilder without trying. I highly encourage you to put proposed meal plans into a spreadsheet so you can actually see how much protein you're consuming. My results have convinced me to reduce the protein from my 3000 calorie a day shakes and replace them with more carbs and fat. For the same weight and bulk, I'll get another a couple hundred more calories.

Not thru hiking. Looking to reduce my nut intake when hiking. Less nuts and energy bars. Looking to have about 20% protein, 40% fat and 40% carbs in these smoothies. I've been professionally cooking for over twenty years and have a good understanding of nutrition. I eat better on the trail then in my normal life. If I was to thru I would not resupply as I go along. I make everything from scratch at home beforehand. I'm actually thinking about writing an article about easy gourmet backpacker food with nutritional information for each recipe.

mlkelley
10-25-2012, 10:11
3 packets Carnation instant breakfast, 8 little scoops of Nido, and 2 packets of instant coffee into about 12-14 ounces of water. I have trouble eating solid food for the first hour or two in the morning, and this is something I can get in my belly for a few calories until I feel like eating. I make it in the evening after I eat dinner, and then (if possible) put the bottle in a stream to chill it. Works for me. YMMV.

Rasty
10-25-2012, 12:34
3 packets Carnation instant breakfast, 8 little scoops of Nido, and 2 packets of instant coffee into about 12-14 ounces of water. I have trouble eating solid food for the first hour or two in the morning, and this is something I can get in my belly for a few calories until I feel like eating. I make it in the evening after I eat dinner, and then (if possible) put the bottle in a stream to chill it. Works for me. YMMV.

Thanks! I'm the same with solid food just after waking up. When not on the trail I eat the first meal at about 2:00 p.m.

WingedMonkey
10-25-2012, 12:51
Thanks! I'm the same with solid food just after waking up. When not on the trail I eat the first meal at about 2:00 p.m.

Yeah...it must be hard to make room for solid food after a half gallon of coffee?

:p

Rasty
10-25-2012, 13:37

Yeah...it must be hard to make room for solid food after a half gallon of coffee?

:p

Light weights only drink half a gallon of coffee.

HeartFire
10-25-2012, 15:43
I make breakfast smoothies and I wish I had started this sooner. Throw what ever you want into a blender/food processor - I make mine vegan so no powdered milk, but you can always add it. Bananas, mangos, peaches - what ever fruit you have, add a handful of almonds, some oatmeal or quinoa flakes, honey or brown sugar - blenderize it all adding very little to no water, then dehydrate it -

So, what I found that makes all the difference is to add water at night before you go to sleep - cold water or if there is any hot left over from dinner - mix it up and let it sit overnight, in the morning, all you have to do is give it a vigorous shake in the ziplock baggie to get it frothy and drink it right fro the baggy. I also make green smoothies with fresh kale - a great way to get your green veggies on the trail.

HikerMom58
10-25-2012, 17:09
I make breakfast smoothies and I wish I had started this sooner. Throw what ever you want into a blender/food processor - I make mine vegan so no powdered milk, but you can always add it. Bananas, mangos, peaches - what ever fruit you have, add a handful of almonds, some oatmeal or quinoa flakes, honey or brown sugar - blenderize it all adding very little to no water, then dehydrate it -

So, what I found that makes all the difference is to add water at night before you go to sleep - cold water or if there is any hot left over from dinner - mix it up and let it sit overnight, in the morning, all you have to do is give it a vigorous shake in the ziplock baggie to get it frothy and drink it right fro the baggy. I also make green smoothies with fresh kale - a great way to get your green veggies on the trail.

Yum... smoothies with fresh kale is the BEST!! I don't know how long fresh kale would last in a backpack tho....

Rasty
10-25-2012, 17:12

Yum... smoothies with fresh kale is the BEST!! I don't know how long fresh kale would last in a backpack tho....

Use fresh then dehydrate

HikerMom58
10-25-2012, 18:04
Hey Rasty... I'll have to get back with you on that one... I'll try it -the nutrition will def. be there but I'm wondering if the taste and texture will be compromised...

Hairbear
10-25-2012, 20:03
Actually I'm looking for somewhat nutritious recipes.hey rasty how are you?try freeze dried crunchies mixed fruit the whole bag weighs 1.5 oz .there are all kinds of melons and berries,.i carry them for my oatmeal really livens it up and helps get rid of excess water.i got them at wally world, good luck.

Hairbear
10-25-2012, 20:17
what about powdered eggs and ground bacon bits,gotta find a way to sneak some bacon in lol.

Rasty
10-25-2012, 20:20
what about powdered eggs and ground bacon bits,gotta find a way to sneak some bacon in lol.

Lost me there! Bacon yes. Powdered eggs are not my thing.

How about a chocolate, bacon and pecan smoothie? Maybe add some espresso.

Deacon
10-25-2012, 20:26

Thanks
Rasty

I could be wrong but my assumption is you wanted recipes for on the trail. There are posts above with recipes using blenders, refrigerator, etc. which won't work (for the trail), as good as they sound.

Rasty
10-25-2012, 20:40

Thanks
Rasty

I could be wrong but my assumption is you wanted recipes for on the trail. There are posts above with recipes using blenders, refrigerator, etc. which won't work (for the trail), as good as they sound.

You are correct. But I'm willing to fiddle with non trail recipes with a blender, dehyrator and coffee grinder.

I have access to really good fruit purees and I am going to try turning a few into powder.

david54
01-07-2017, 23:45
Check on utube🖒

liteweight
01-08-2017, 13:46
I've ordered the breakfast smoothies from Packit Gourmet a few times.

Venchka
01-08-2017, 15:14

My version of this is similar.
1 serving Breakfast Essentials (Instant Breakfast)
1-2 servings Whole milk Nido. Not the low fat baby formula.
1 serving NaturesPlus Pea Protein.
https://naturesplus.com/products/productdetail.php?productNumber=45951
1-2 single serving Cafe Bustelo instant coffee. Buy at Target.
Adjust quantities to taste. Hot or cold water as conditions dictate.
Enjoy.
Wayne

Venchka
01-08-2017, 15:31
I've ordered the breakfast smoothies from Packit Gourmet a few times.

So did I. That's when I decided to make my own. I put single servings in Ziploc snack bags and a sandwich size bag holds two snack bags and several individual servings of instant coffee.
Wayne

Deacon
01-08-2017, 17:03
I found and used this recipe last year. I did make some modifications to suit my taste. It is packed with protein:

https://youtu.be/pNHmLGHW8e0

Deadeye
01-09-2017, 09:57
I often carry Carnation Instant Breakfast to start the hiking day, along with muesli cereal. The instant breakfast can be enhanced with dehydrated veggies from Harmony House. They offer dehydrated spinach and other veggies that can easily be powderized in a blender. You can add extra protein with straight powdered whey from Bob's Red Mill or anyone. I often add some instant coffee to the chocolate breakfast to make a mocha shake and get my caffeine fix. Add some dried peanut butter for fat.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-12-2017, 23:07
Carnations FTW. And its "vitamins" too, if you care about living on mac & cheese for 6 months.

scrabbler
01-12-2017, 23:18
Also "Ensure" powder packs a lot of calories and vitamins. Nido+Ensure+instant_coffee is my recipe. About 400 calories and 150mg caffeine in a 12 oz drink.