PDA

View Full Version : Just saved 23 ugly ounces!

Double Wide
10-24-2012, 14:38
Ok, so I finally have all of my backpacking gear bought. Couldn't really think of anything else I needed. So this past weekend I did a cool-weather shakedown trip for the first time with all the stuff I've collected over the past year or so. Summer weight was 30.4 lbs, March on Springer weight was 36 lbs.

Then I spent Sunday hauling it all up and down the hills at the Meriweather Lewis Monument on the Natchez Trace. Found out the semi-hard way that 36 lbs is too much... :(

Anyhow, just got back from REI, where I traded in my old Therma-Rest Trail Lite Large pad, at a whopping 39 ounces, and got the new NeoAir XLite Large pad, at just 16 ounces. What a huge difference it makes, not only in weight, but in space. That other pad was like carrying another sleeping bag.

Gonna shave more weight by ditching the tent footprint, one of my nesting titanium pots (didn't need it), and consolidating stuff sacks.

I also found out that the only thing I didn't have, but needed, was a bandanna. Picked up a couple at the dollar store on the way home, too.

Now I'm gonna spend the afternoon gear-bombing the den and repacking my pack.

Maddog
10-24-2012, 14:44
Lol! Awesome! There's nothing better than a shakedown hike! Maddog:D

swjohnsey
10-24-2012, 14:56
Only fifteen or so pounds to go!

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 15:06
Good for you! There's nothing better then saving weight/space! Perhaps you can post a gear list for a little critiquing :) And yes, bandannas are a great thing to have. I carry three at all times and constantly use them.

GL.

Double Wide
10-24-2012, 15:24
The gear list won't be for awhile. I'm *considering* coughing up the dough for a Western Mountaineering bag, and that'll take about another pound and a half off. Plus I may change packs too. Was looking at the Osprey today and me likey.

yellowsirocco
10-24-2012, 15:31
I don't see what the fuss is, you spent money and have lighter gear. It is not that hard to do.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 15:43
^^ You my friend, are a troll.... and a douche.

Sman
10-24-2012, 15:44
Every time I go through my pack I think of something else which is "needed" who knows what it weighs now??????????? Thinking about starting the hike with nothing and picking up what is needed along the way...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Train Wreck
10-24-2012, 15:46
I don't see what the fuss is, you spent money and have lighter gear. It is not that hard to do.

Apparently a lot of people think differently, since the topic is continuously discussed here :)
If you spring for the Western Mountaineering bag you will be very pleased with your choice. I'm not an UL hiker by any means, but I replaced my old North Face with a WM down bag a couple years ago and I still gloat over how small and light it is every time I use it. Much easier to pack and so warm at the end of the day!
Good luck with your shakedown!

Hosaphone
10-24-2012, 16:09
The gear list won't be for awhile. I'm *considering* coughing up the dough for a Western Mountaineering bag, and that'll take about another pound and a half off. Plus I may change packs too. Was looking at the Osprey today and me likey.

Why not post the list first and get some input? If your summer baseweight is 30 pounds, I'd bet the farm that we can knock 10 pounds off that without spending much money at all. I don't think you would regret buying a WM bag, but in terms of dollars spent / weight saved, I guarantee there are more efficient uses for your money.

Double Wide
10-24-2012, 16:11
Thanks TW.

And to the troll, actually, I *didn't* spend any money. It was REI, so I got store credit for my old (still in perfect condition) mattress pad. Also, earlier this summer I bought a Sea to Summit silk bag liner from their website. Took it out for the first time a week ago and realized they sent me a used-damaged-returned liner, so I got full credit for that, too. Plus I had a gift card I got for my birthday earlier in the year. So, technically, lightened up without spending any money.

But thanks for trolling, jerkoff. Thought this was a place to come and not only ask advice but celebrate small victories and new-found knowledge. I guess I forgot that there are few miserable losers with nothing better to do than to harsh everyone else's mellow...

Rasty
10-24-2012, 16:12
Thanks TW.

And to the troll, actually, I *didn't* spend any money. It was REI, so I got store credit for my old (still in perfect condition) mattress pad. Also, earlier this summer I bought a Sea to Summit silk bag liner from their website. Took it out for the first time a week ago and realized they sent me a used-damaged-returned liner, so I got full credit for that, too. Plus I had a gift card I got for my birthday earlier in the year. So, technically, lightened up without spending any money.

But thanks for trolling, jerkoff. Thought this was a place to come and not only ask advice but celebrate small victories and new-found knowledge. I guess I forgot that there are few miserable losers with nothing better to do than to harsh everyone else's mellow...

Excellent post!

swjohnsey
10-24-2012, 16:26

You won't regret the WM bag. The Osprey pack, on the other hand . . . heavy, made in China.

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 16:27

thanks for your completely useless post!!

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 16:32
I always hear people rave about Osprey bags but I just don't get it? They're different with the arch, etc. but I guess they're just not for me. I have never hiked with one but I've tried many of them on in store and never found them to be all that comfortable. Everyone's different though...

cmich
10-24-2012, 16:32
Congrats on the new gear acquisition. Glad to see people lightening their loads for a more enjoyable time. Be careful... cutting pack weight can become both obsessively addictive and expensive!!

gizzy bear
10-24-2012, 16:36
I always hear people rave about Osprey bags but I just don't get it? They're different with the arch, etc. but I guess they're just not for me. I have never hiked with one but I've tried many of them on in store and never found them to be all that comfortable. Everyone's different though...

i just tried on the osprey aura 65 and i LOVED it!!!

Creek Dancer
10-24-2012, 16:40
I have the same pack, gizzy bear, and I love mine too. Fits me like a glove.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 16:48
i just tried on the osprey aura 65 and i LOVED it!!!

hmmm, I would definitely consider giving them another try but I'm addicted to my ULA Circuit :)

Don H
10-24-2012, 16:52
Recommend ULA or Granite Gear AC 60 Packs, about 2 pounds, plenty of room.
Keep the silk liner, it keeps your bag clean and is easy to wash. Also adds warmth when temps are in the teens.
Tyvec ground cloth, also used to protect the Neo when you sleep on shelter floors. And you will sleep on shelter floors in the Smokeys. Holes in the Neo suck!

Prime Time
10-24-2012, 17:02
Boy, packs are a real personal thing and there's a few things to consider. It depends somewhat on how much weight you are carrying and your body type. I carry about 18 pounds, excluding my pack, and before food/water. So I wind up leaving my resupply with 33 - 35 pounds including the pack. Also, I have no hips, so I need a bag with a good hip belt system and stiff support in the back so I don't wind up carrying all the weight on my shoulders. An Osprey Aether 60 works for me, although I don't like the fact that it weighs 5 pounds. The proof is that I hardly notice it on my back a few miles into my hike, and it fits my body perfectly because I don't have to shift it around and mess with the strap settings once their set.

Double Wide
10-24-2012, 17:04
Good ideas, y'all--many thanks.

Definately going to use a piece of polycryo that was recommended in the gram-weenie forum as a footprint/shelter mat, although I looked at tyvek first. I've pretty much decided against the silk liner altogether because 1) I'm a hot sleeper, 2) My 25-degree down bag is plenty warm if I wear a pair of wool socks on my feet and a North Face headband around my ears (have tested this method twice now when it's gotten below forty at night, and it works for me!), and 3) like I said, I'm considering a 15-degree WM bag still. I've ditched a couple of stuff sacks, replaced the standard tent pegs with super-lightweight alloy ones, and now I'm in the process of lightening up my clothes selection, too.

As far as the pack goes, I'm going to wait until next spring to make that decision. I like the functionality of the Osprey, but the Granite Gear was calling my name, too. I'm going to wait a bit (no need to spend the $$$ yet, because apparently spending money to lighten the load is passe to some folks here :rolleyes:, but I'm going to try and figure out which one fits better on me. I just didn't want to waste the guy's time today knowing that I wasn't going to buy one yet.

Also, one thing I've learned on my last couple of overnighters is that I'll likely do less cooking at breakfast time, so my food/fuel requirements are also going to change.

So yeah, I'm still a long ways away from Springer, but I'm enjoying the process of preparing myself for hitting the trail for real.

paistes5
10-24-2012, 17:18
I went with Double Wide today and spent my way to saving 38 ounces. Gonna head out this weekend with the new toys.

hypnolobster
10-24-2012, 17:48
I'm well and truly into ultralight now, but I still loved my old Osprey packs.

I've had two Aether 70's. They were my first packs. The first one slid down a mountain in PA (with me attached to it) and was fairly ruined (but it finished the week hike out!), and I sent it back to Osprey and they replaced it with a brand new pack!

They're heavy packs and I'll probably never use one again, but they're also VERY comfortable (for me), and come with a second to none warranty.

I'm happy with my ZPacks hybrid cuben pack now :)

Theosus
10-24-2012, 18:08
I'd love to drop to a deuter act lite 50 and lose a few pounds. I need a more compressible bag though, the cats meow is freaking huge even when squashed. My UQ isn't the smallest either. I hate to replace perfectly fine gear just for smaller, lighter stuff. Something just feels wrong about it.

HikerMom58
10-24-2012, 18:59
thanks for your completely useless post!!

Yep, just add another one to the "list"....

Alligator
10-24-2012, 19:22
Hey folks, let's remember to refrain from the name calling.

2. Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

You can find the user agreement here (http://whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=agreement).

Thanks!

Violent Green
10-24-2012, 19:28
Double Wide-

You are going to love that Xlite. For dropping weight effectively, without breaking the bank, I suggest 1) wait to buy your new pack until the very end of your purchases and 2) review your gear list for redundant or never used items & simply drop them from your trips. A lot of folks here can help you with what to leave at home when you're ready to post your gear list. Above all, buy things that are light but avoid gear that sacrifices too much of your comfort. Everyone has to find that comfort level when reducing pack weight which is why you see a lot of UL'ers "rebound" back up a couple pounds at some point.

Ryan

Ryan

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 19:36
I'd love to drop to a deuter act lite 50 and lose a few pounds. I need a more compressible bag though, the cats meow is freaking huge even when squashed. My UQ isn't the smallest either. I hate to replace perfectly fine gear just for smaller, lighter stuff. Something just feels wrong about it.

I know the feeling, you just need to sell it to a good home and you will feel better about it. Don't let it sit in the closet and go to waste.

trapper
10-24-2012, 20:03
I always hear people rave about Osprey bags but I just don't get it? They're different with the arch, etc. but I guess they're just not for me. I have never hiked with one but I've tried many of them on in store and never found them to be all that comfortable. Everyone's different though...i use a talon 44 in the summer pretty light and comfortable under 25 lb. once your over that weight look elsewhere

T-Rx
10-24-2012, 20:46
Congrats on shaving the weight Double Wide. There is nothing better to help you decide what is essential and what is not than to carry your pack up and down hills for a few miles! I will also put in a plug for ULA packs. I have carried a catalyst for a few years now and love it.

MuddyWaters
10-24-2012, 22:35
lighter gear lets you use a lighter pack as well
Lighter pack and gear also lets you go faster, farther, longer and require less food and water than a slower pace

Lightness begets lightness.

Embrace it. Go with it . Be one with it.

HermesUL
10-24-2012, 23:42
Osprey's Hornet series is actually fantastic, and much lighter than the ULA packs or any other fully framed pack I've come across. Don't have a clue how they do it, just love the fact that they do. Guaranteed for life!

Caveat: I had a buckle break. I wasn't being terribly nice to it, so no matter. Osprey is sending me the part at no charge.

Deacon
10-25-2012, 05:48
I'm well and truly into ultralight now, but I still loved my old Osprey packs.

I've had two Aether 70's. They were my first packs. The first one slid down a mountain in PA (with me attached to it) and was fairly ruined (but it finished the week hike out!), and I sent it back to Osprey and they replaced it with a brand new pack!

They're heavy packs and I'll probably never use one again, but they're also VERY comfortable (for me), and come with a second to none warranty.

I'm happy with my ZPacks hybrid cuben pack now :)

I started hiking with the Aether 85, which virtually the same weight as the 70, 5 lb. I still say its the most comfortable pack I've ever had on my back, but my knees didn't agree.

I then used a ULA Circuit. Bombproof but doesn't.carry quite as we'll as the Aether.

I now hike with a Z Packs (Exo), and is the best of both worlds. Not only light but carries like an external frame (which it is).

Hairbear
10-25-2012, 06:46
Apparently a lot of people think differently, since the topic is continuously discussed here :)
If you spring for the Western Mountaineering bag you will be very pleased with your choice. I'm not an UL hiker by any means, but I replaced my old North Face with a WM down bag a couple years ago and I still gloat over how small and light it is every time I use it. Much easier to pack and so warm at the end of the day!
Good luck with your shakedown!+1 i love mine, use it as a top quilt.the 20 degree rating is no b s either at 27 degrees i was toast.oh by the way hi tw how have you been.

Hairbear
10-25-2012, 07:03
i just tried on the osprey aura 65 and i LOVED it!!!the atmos is a great pack for me anyway.it started at 3 lb 12 oz i dont know what it weighs with the unneeded parts cut off i havent weighed it yet,but it packs well,plenty of room for using the pack as a big stuff bag by stuffing everything in my sleep system into a trash compactor bag in the bottom of the pack cuts weight of individual stuff sacks.the pack really does a good job of moving the weight to the hips.

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 10:10
+1 i love mine, use it as a top quilt.the 20 degree rating is no b s either at 27 degrees i was toast.oh by the way hi tw how have you been.

You're absolutely right about the rating. I'm a cold sleeper and on occasion, have still had to open the bag up to stay comfy. I kicked my old north face cat's meow to the curb after buying the WM!

colorado_rob
10-25-2012, 13:20
Osprey's Hornet series is actually fantastic, and much lighter than the ULA packs or any other fully framed pack I've come across. Don't have a clue how they do it, just love the fact that they do. Guaranteed for life!

Caveat: I had a buckle break. I wasn't being terribly nice to it, so no matter. Osprey is sending me the part at no charge. Recent story w/ Osprey: so my wife and I just returned from 10 fantastic days on the JMT; we both used Osprey packs, me an Exos 46, her a Talon 44. anyway, three days to go, middle of the night a bear rips my wife's Talon wide open, two slices across the bottom, grabs an OP sack full of gatorade powder and coffee. I yell and scream and chase it off, but the pack is shredded. We were able to strap it all together and finish the hike though, no sweat (except for losing our damn Starbucks Vias!).

so we get home. She remembered that Osprey had a 100% no-fault, "iron clad" guarantee for life on their packs. so we called them up, they said sure, no problem, we mailed the shredded pack to Osprey, 4 days later we had a brand new Talon 44 on our doorstep.

+1 for Osprey packs!!!! Even though it was 100% our fault, they don't care, they just sent a new pack. I feel a little guilty.

PS: yeah, those Hornet buckles are damn flimsy. I like my hornet 46 as well, but only for loads 20 lbs and less. For 20-30 pounds, the Exos is more comfy for me. I also use an Aether 85 for Big mountain expeditions. Too heavy for me for the AT though. I think it's Exos 46 all the way for me; maybe switch to the 1-lb lighter hornet for the middle of the At when less gear is needed.

fredmugs
10-25-2012, 13:31
I got divorced and dropped 150 pounds of ugly fat.

Creek Dancer
10-25-2012, 13:40
Sweetie, is that you????

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 13:40
I got divorced and dropped 150 pounds of ugly fat.

:rolleyes: I was waiting for that!

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 13:45
so we get home. She remembered that Osprey had a 100% no-fault, "iron clad" guarantee for life on their packs. so we called them up, they said sure, no problem, we mailed the shredded pack to Osprey, 4 days later we had a brand new Talon 44 on our doorstep.

+1 for Osprey packs!!!! Even though it was 100% our fault, they don't care, they just sent a new pack. I feel a little guilty.

Great story & testimonial to their customer service. Stop feeling guilty, you probably just sold ten more Osprey packs without even trying.To think just a few years ago, businesses scoffed at the idea of using social media as a marketing tool!

Creek Dancer
10-25-2012, 13:53
Another testimonial...I busted the zipper on my lid by yanking on it too hard when something was stuck in the teeth. I contacted Osprey to ask them if they could repair the zipper. I was willing to pay the repair, but they ended up just sending me a new one free of charge!