PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Moment vs Notch

AllTheWayToMordor
10-24-2012, 19:05
Does any one have insights which if the two is better for a through hike?

Thanks for the help!

Drybones
10-24-2012, 20:03
I used the Notch this spring and could not be happier with it, have not used the Moment. From what I've seen, the Notch is a modified version of the Moment.

Thirsty DPD
10-24-2012, 21:52
I can't compare but I have spent many hours in my Moment under different conditions & couldn't be happier. I don't use poles, but if I did, I'd still choose the Moment. I use the cross pole, not for self standing but for heavy rain & wind & it has performed great. Also use the vapor barrier to assist w/ single wall condensation. Everything packs in original stuff sack. Poles, pegs, barrier, tent in sack weight 2.63lbs.

garlic08
10-24-2012, 22:00
I've been using a Contrail for many years, the discontinued Virga before that (since 2002), and you won't find a better company than HS. As I see those two, the trade-offs are in weight, number of stakes, use of two trekking poles, free-standing option, what happens if something breaks (hoop pole or trekking pole), and cost. It's a tough decision. When I replace my Contrail, I'll probably go the easy way and just get another Contrail--lighter, cheaper, nothing to break, but harder to get into and harder to pitch. You can't go too far wrong with either of those. Good luck in your decision.

Not Sunshine
10-24-2012, 22:08
I have the Notch and I do like it.

It was a bit getting used to, though. The material is very slick, so I had to paint a lot of silicone on my sleeping pad, and I also painted some on the Tyvek ground sheet. I had to re-apply the silicone in beads to keep from slipping around so much.

But at 26 oz, I couldn't not say I love it!

But I also hope I'm never caught in a windy rain storm in it....the 4 little tent posts to anchor it leave a little to be desired.

Big Dawg
10-25-2012, 01:35
Does any one have insights which if the two is better for a through hike?

Thanks for the help!

I own both and love both. I'm not a thru hiker, but have done enough miles to offer good advice on the subject. As Drybones said, they're essentially the same tent, with the Notch modified to use your hiking poles. Both would stand up to the rigors of a thru hike, as stated in other forums/threads. The Moment requires a liner to offer complete 2 wall benefits, bringing the weight close to 2 & 1/2 lbs. The Moment is roomier than the Notch, and allows me to store all my gear inside, whereas the Notch is good for you and your pad/bag only. Plenty of vestibule space in the Notch makes up for this though. Ultimately I normally go with the Notch because it's lighter, offers 2 vestibules, and makes use of my hiking poles. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Drybones
10-25-2012, 16:05
I have the Notch and I do like it.

It was a bit getting used to, though. The material is very slick, so I had to paint a lot of silicone on my sleeping pad, and I also painted some on the Tyvek ground sheet. I had to re-apply the silicone in beads to keep from slipping around so much.

But at 26 oz, I couldn't not say I love it!

But I also hope I'm never caught in a windy rain storm in it....the 4 little tent posts to anchor it leave a little to be desired.

I recommend replacing the 6" stakes with 8" stakes to withstand higher winds and rain.

Drybones
10-25-2012, 16:14
One of the best things I like about the Notch is a trick I learned on how to hang my pack off the ground and be able to access the pack easily. Take a short section of cord and tie two loops about 6" apart. As you're putting up the tent, put the loop on one end over the pole tip as you're raising the tent. Use a carbine to clip the pack to the other loop. The pack will be hanging in front of one door and off the ground. If you need anything from the pack you can unzip the door and swing the pack inside, get what you need and swing the pack back out.

AllTheWayToMordor
11-02-2012, 17:49
Ended up going with the Notch. The buddy Im hiking with got the moment, so I guess I'll be able to do a through comparison while on the trail this spring.

NaturalHiker
11-15-2012, 23:23
On the site it say's its best to use trekking pole's that can adjust inbetween 110-115cm for the Notch. My trekking poles are fixed at 120cm, would these also work as well with the notch?

Franco
11-16-2012, 01:54
This is the Moment with the pole tips up (inside the grommet) at 120cm :
this is with the handle up(into the apex pocket) and the tips pushed into the ground so that it is at about 115cm :
Obviously you cannot do that where the ground is too hard to insert a stake but most of the times should be doable.

Statue
11-16-2012, 02:56
One of the best things I like about the Notch is a trick I learned on how to hang my pack off the ground and be able to access the pack easily. Take a short section of cord and tie two loops about 6" apart. As you're putting up the tent, put the loop on one end over the pole tip as you're raising the tent. Use a carbine to clip the pack to the other loop. The pack will be hanging in front of one door and off the ground. If you need anything from the pack you can unzip the door and swing the pack inside, get what you need and swing the pack back out.

That is a good idea.

Kingpongg
11-16-2012, 10:37
On the site it say's its best to use trekking pole's that can adjust inbetween 110-115cm for the Notch. My trekking poles are fixed at 120cm, would these also work as well with the notch?

Mine are also fixed at 120cm and i tried them with the notch. The pitch wasn't very good and it looked like it put a lot of strain on some of the stitching. I didn't like it.

I loved the tent so much I opted to drill 2 holes in each of my poles so the grommet can engage at 110 and 115 centimeters. This has been perfect for me. Great pitch and i can adjust it based on conditions.

I drilled the holes on the handle on the palm side and I don't even notice them when hiking. Of course, I engage them at the full 120cm when hiking.

If you're interested, I can attach some pictures.

Drybones
11-16-2012, 12:55

You really need adjustable poles to get full use of the tent. The pole range is 110-115. I set the bottom section on 110 and the top on 115, that's center of the recommended range and a setting that works for me hiking in most conditions so I can set the tent up fast without having to adjust poles. If you need more ventilation you can raise the 110 to 115, if there's a driving rain or your camped on dirt and large drops are falling that slatter mud you can drop the 115 to 110 to give you more protection.