PDA

View Full Version : New gear project: Multi-use pack cover

Just Jeff
05-16-2005, 00:02
I just made a new piece of gear that works as a pack cover, gear hammock, groundcloth (for sitting, not quite big enough for sleeping), vestibule tarp, waterproof bearbag, waterbag, hammock spray shield (for the water that comes under the tarp), sleeping bag foot cover (watch out for condensation), and whatever else you can think of.

It's 3.5 oz and took me all of 15 minutes to sew. Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html

Cedar Tree
05-16-2005, 06:13
That's pretty cool. Good job.
CT

Doctari
05-16-2005, 11:17
Pretty cool?!?!

That is genus IMHO.

Even tho I don't use a pack cover, I do believe I will be making one of these soon. I do like the multi uses you came up with, looks like there may even be more possibilites given a little time & experimentation.

Thanks for the idea!

Doctari.

hikerjohnd
05-16-2005, 11:22
That is pretty cool! :cool: Give yourself a pat on the back! Plan on selling these? Might ba market for them...

Stoker53
05-16-2005, 11:37
Getting an error msg on the link. Website has exceeded alloacted data transfer. Can you post a pic?

HikeLite
05-16-2005, 13:59
http://www.trailquest.net/dlgcdcgrdsheet.html

Brawny has something similar though larger.

Just Jeff
05-16-2005, 14:36
http://www.trailquest.net/dlgcdcgrdsheet.html

Brawny has something similar though larger.
That's close, and I actually saw that after I made this one. My drawstring goes around all 4 sides so you can just cinch it up for a pack cover instead of cinching and tying like the DLG one. That also makes it useful as a waterproof bag and gear hammock, which would be more difficult with the DLG one.

Not criticizing DLG...they make awesome gear. It's just different from the one I made.

I'll try and put a few pics on WB tonight.

titanium_hiker
05-18-2005, 20:08
dude, totaly awesome. I want one.

titanium_geek

Kerosene
05-19-2005, 09:39
I never bother to carry a waterbag since there aren't too many times I would use it, but it does come in handy when the water is half a mile downhill. This looks like a great idea, especially if you can get the pack cover fit just a touch tighter.

trip
05-28-2005, 16:56
You can use an emergeny poncho from Wal-Mart to be a (1) rain coat and pack cover at the same time, (2) ground cloth, if you unsnap the sides, and (3) foot slot. But then, they weigh a lot, as compared with the idea proposed above.

titanium_hiker
05-29-2005, 10:41
hey Jeff- how big is your pack? (I can do ci or L) I have a 50L pack (4500 ci) is that smaller than yours? bigger? will my pack cover be bigger/smaller than yours?

thanks.

neo
05-29-2005, 11:21
excellent jeff,what great piece of multi-use gear are you going make them and sell them,i would buy one:cool: neo

Just Jeff
05-29-2005, 11:43
hey Jeff- how big is your pack? (I can do ci or L) I have a 50L pack (4500 ci) is that smaller than yours? bigger? will my pack cover be bigger/smaller than yours?
I have a GoLite Speed, which is 3600L total...extension collar and mesh pockets included. To get your size, measure height, width and depth of your full pack.

The length of the material should be height+2depth+6" or so to account for wrap and seam allowance.

The width of the material should be width+2depth+4" or so.

Mine wraps pretty good in the pictures, but the extension collar isn't full in those.

are you going make them and sell them,i would buy one
A manufacturer has contacted me, so we might have a production agreement soon. Otherwise, I'm in the middle of a move and won't be settled in California until July (taking a few weeks "vacation" to drive from SC to CA). Once I get settled, I might start selling them.

titanium_hiker
05-29-2005, 20:55
3600L total? that's one heck of a pack! ;)
I'm guessing you meant 3600 ci. :)

cool.

titanium_geek

Just Jeff
05-29-2005, 21:27
Yes...3600ci, 54L. Hehe...