PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days Get Together

Krewzer
05-16-2005, 00:52
Just go back to the Heart of Dixie a little while ago. Great seeing and meeting everyone face to face at Trail Days.

As always, I had a blast at T Daze. I bagged a record six (6) open car windows and one motorcycle guy in the parade. (Think the motorcycle guy got a little p....ed. Hee Hee.)

I couldn't catch all the programs, but really really enjoyed Model T's presentation and Lion King's show.

MOWGLI
05-16-2005, 06:58
As always, I had a blast at T Daze. I bagged a record six (6) open car windows and one motorcycle guy in the parade. (Think the motorcycle guy got a little p....ed. Hee Hee.)

I had no idea you were such a hooligan! :D Nice to meet you Krewzer.

Jeffrey Hunter aka Little Bear

Jack Tarlin
05-17-2005, 11:41
It was great to see old friends, new friends, and family from afar. I can not recall much of the weekend, but I was told it was another succesful weekend. It couldn't be done without a decent group as we had.

Furthermore, I would like to say that it was great to see Boo Boo (or as Billville would have it, Boobies) once again. I may have put sardines in his pack, but this man can really take joke. I raise my best glass of Jim Beam to him, and can only hope that I will become the hike that he is. Boo Boo, you are the man.

Footslogger
05-17-2005, 12:08
Yeah ...I second (or is it third) the motion regarding the recent Trail Days having been a great success. I experimented with a new approach this year and stood on a porch along Laural Ave as the hikers marched by. The initial thought was that I might stay a tad drier there ...NOT!! I got much wetter once the hikers saw me there and started targeting the porch with water ballons and supersoakers. Great fun !!

It was moving to see all the 2003ers return to Damascus and the dinner we all enjoyed at Sicily's was a gas (literally and figuratively speaking !!). Looking forward to seeing some of those pics.

Great job that Sherrif and Becky have done on the old Side Track Cafe. Something tells me that the new "Baja Cafe" is on its way to becoming a highly reputed place to grab some good grub and a cold one.

Could only stay for the first day of Hardcore and then had to be on an airplane home but the experience was great. Got to put a lot of faces on names from Whiteblaze and share a great day of work on the trail relocation project.

All the best to the hiking community ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

attroll
05-17-2005, 12:52
wbdent Oh my goodness. Where do I start? I had such a great time I am going to go out of my way to make it to next year’s event. SGT Rock and I have already started making plans for a WhiteBlaze get together for next years that will help draw in more of our users. We are sorry if there was some confusion about the meet up at Dots. We got there at 10 am and it was closed so we hung around for about 20 minutes and headed to the Ole Barn and tried to get breakfast there but there was ½ hour wait to get in the door and then there was some confusion as to where we were suppose to go to get the breakfast that Starlyte was hosting. SO it was a mass of confusion. Next year SGT Rock and I are hoping to have our own breakfast put on for all the WhiteBlaze members. We are looking into purchasing a tent right now. We don’t know where we are going to set it up yet. But we have a whole year to work on it.

wbdent I can not even remember all the names of the people I met from WhiteBlaze. I met so many my head is still spinning. Stupid me should have written them down or taken pictures of everyone. I can honestly say I probably met over 100 WhiteBlaze users. If I was rude in any way to any of you I am very sorry. There was just so much going on and so many people to meet. We did not have that many turn out at the get together because they had not hear about it or were somewhere else. But I would have been nice to have that many showed up at the get together. That is another reason why a WhiteBlaze breakfast would be good for the next year’s event.

wbdent I was just unbelievable. I am hoping to hike into Trail Days next year. I would like to put a list together of all the names of the WhiteBlaze users that I met but I know I can not remember them all. Billville was a riot on Friday night. I had a great time. I would like to thank Billville for having me.

wbdent It was great meeting the crew of Jacks R Better and the great products they put out. I know I will be purchasing one of there under quilts in the very near future. Mowgli16 (Jeff) put on a great presentation as so did One Leg, Model-T, Lion King. Every presentation I went to was well worth the time.

wbdent I finally went out and bought myself a kilt from the Harper Ferry Outfitters. I wore it all day Saturday afternoon and found it very comfortable. I now have to put some trail miles on it to see if I still like it.

wbdent SGT Rock found out I was not an ATC member and he rode my butt about it all day until I finally became a member. I just have never given it much though with all that I do. But when I realized everything that they do and all that I don’t do to support them, that the wisest thing to do was to become a member. I joined the ranks of the ATC and will keep my membership always active. Without the ATC most of us would not be here now. Thank you SGT Rock for sticking your boot in my ass and pointing this out to me.

wbdent Finnaly meeting SGT Rock (my counter part) was as long time coming too and there was no dissapointment there either. He is a great guy I can not say enought about him.

wbdent I would like to thank everyone I met at Trail Days that introduced themselves to me and making Trail Days for me an AWESOME experience. I am sure I am forgetting something in this post but I will add to it later.

gr8fulyankee
05-17-2005, 18:09
attroll it was nice meeting you @ trail days even in the sudden downpour. I stopped by sunday morning and your stand was looking...well...very very wet!
I had a blast meeting people and enjoying the amatuer talent which was for the most part was really good. "MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS" !!! OMFW that was too funny!

yogi clyde
05-17-2005, 22:28
Sounds like you all had a great time.
I was looking forward to meeting some of you folks.
I ended up feeling under the weather, so did not make the long trip down.

Maybe the fall gathering in NH this year.

SGT Rock
05-17-2005, 23:05
I had a great time, I was not bored for an instant, ok, well maybe for about 10 minutes one day....

Wednesday I drove down there and Private NoHike bailed on me (foot hurt my eye, unless you get a foot ache with a hangover) but I got on the trail anyway up at Whitetop and hiked into Saunders Shelter to sleep 10 hours straight in my hammock.

Thursday I walked into town and then Lone Wolf gave me a ride back to my car. Walked down to The Outfitter and saw Yetti, Chef Paul, Troll, etc. etc. etc..... At that point it was a blur trying to keep up with everyone.

Friday was time to get around and see everyone. Non-stop fun from the breakfast at the Fire Station to Billville and the Useless Gear Contest. My favorites are still the 2036 Jack Tarlin walker and the voice activated Baltimore Jack Trail Guide PDA. The Old Fhart was a good demonstrator for the walker, but he is probably in better shape that Jack will be at that age ;)

Saturday, back at it again. Waiting out a storm under a Hennessy Hammock with Rain Man had to be the most unreal part of the day. And just image that the 2036 Jack Tarlin walker would actually win a gear award in the homade gear contest?!?

Sunday, off to Hard Core. Another great time hacking out new trail for the AT. 81 people showed up to construct new trail. After the day was over, back to Kincora to hang out and make stoves with Skittles. Then end the night camping down by the river.

Monday - more trail building and a bridge. If you hike through that section you will see a new footbridge with a sign that says "NO DIVING OFF BRIDGE" - that was us. Cammo, Yeti, and some others I don't remember (was Forest Phil on the team?) moved about 10 tons of rocks to make a cool stone walk across a creek on a new relo that goes right past a cool set of falls. I found me a good stealth site up near them so I can stay there next time I hike the section. Baltimore Jack, Chef Paul, Blister, and others had us hooked up with some great food when we got back.

Hard core may sound like work, but it is just as cool as anything else involved with backpacking. I HIGHLY reccomend it! Even though it is work, it is always fun.

Thanks to Fishin Fred, Berry and Terry for running the WhiteBlaze booth. Special thanks to LWolf and Gypsy for putting us up in the yard. The Mt Roger's Outfitter for letting us have the space. Jester for letting us hang out with Billville and holding me a T-Shirt. I think we will try to have a breakfast feed or something next year for the Billville guys to show our thanks. Bob and Pat Peoples for putting on Hardcore and the Tennessee Eastmen for all the dedication that goes with it. And to all the WhiteBLazers that showed up and didn't gripe too much when the get together was a bust. We'll figure out something better next time.

And thanks Troll!

Lugnut
05-18-2005, 09:44
I thought the get together went okay considering Dot's was closed and I was late for the group shot. It was good to put some faces with the names. Some looked as expected and some looked worse (you know who you are) :D
I'll second Sgt Rocks comments on Hard Core. It's a great experience and will no doubt evolve into a "have to do" thing for many hikers. I talked to some who were not too keen on the idea of the delay but said it turned out to be their best two days so far on the trail and they plan to be back next year.
Yes, Forest Phil was in our group along with Camo,Yeti,Flying Porkchop,Lumpy,Stretch,Dutchman,1/4 of the Way and a couple others whose names I don't remember.
Thanks to the chefs for a much needed meal. It was said that Lone Wolf helped pay for the food. If so, thanks! Your compassionate side is showing.

:bse

Footslogger
05-18-2005, 09:48
I missed the group shot too ...my bad !!

Was great seeing all you's guys though and finally putting some faces with names. Could only stay for the first day of Hardcore but enjoyed every swing of the Pulaski (well, maybe not every one).

'Slogger

attroll
05-18-2005, 11:28
I thought the get together went okay considering Dot's was closed and I was late for the group shot. It was good to put some faces with the names. Some looked as expected and some looked worse (you know who you are) :D
I'll second Sgt Rocks comments on Hard Core. It's a great experience and will no doubt evolve into a "have to do" thing for many hikers. I talked to some who were not too keen on the idea of the delay but said it turned out to be their best two days so far on the trail and they plan to be back next year.
Yes, Forest Phil was in our group along with Camo,Yeti,Flying Porkchop,Lumpy,Stretch,Dutchman,1/4 of the Way and a couple others whose names I don't remember.
Thanks to the chefs for a much needed meal. It was said that Lone Wolf helped pay for the food. If so, thanks! Your compassionate side is showing.

:bse

wbdent If you were late for the group shot then I have someone identified wrong in the group shot. I have you listed in the group shot.

Lugnut
05-18-2005, 13:04
Nope, I wasn't in it. You said I had just missed it. :datz
Just as well. I'm rough on cameras. I'll just send in a drawing.

Footslogger
05-18-2005, 13:07
I'm rough on cameras. I'll just send in a drawing.===================================
That's a good one Lugnut. Applies to both of us. Great meeting you at Hardcore.

'Slogger

Blue Jay
05-19-2005, 08:14
I had a blast meeting people and enjoying the amatuer talent which was for the most part was really good. "MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS" !!! OMFW that was too funny!

I thought "Wooden Maiden" should have won, not that the Reggae Guy wasn't fantastic and also deserved it. The mastery of the stomach flute put it over the top for me.

Nean
05-19-2005, 10:03
Sorry I missed the get together, overslept by 6hrs. Maybe more of us could make it to lunch? Almost... had too much fun. Gettin' to hang out some with Paw Paw made my Trail Days!

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 14:57
I've heard more than once about this song from the Trail Days Talent Show. Anybody got the lyrics and tune they can share with us?

Rain:sunMan

Boo Boo
05-19-2005, 16:18
Thank you Jack, for those kind regards. You have redeemed yourself with the lasagna dinner. Even though I sat through two hours of Bruce Springsteen -Live From Barcelona (70,000 Spaniards and they all know the words!!!), it was good to see you again.

See you somewhere up North.

Lilred
05-19-2005, 16:59
I've heard more than once about this song from the Trail Days Talent Show. Anybody got the lyrics and tune they can share with us?

there really wasn't much of a tune, sort of a chant, or rap, with audience participation. I vaguely remember one verse.

" We could have gone straight into town
for a cheeseburger double stack
If it weren't for those
MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS"

Or something similar to this.

Here's a link to his picture. Anybody know who this is?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7237/sort/1/cat/536/page/1

Skeemer
05-20-2005, 08:43
I was looking all over for you...thought for sure you'd be at the Whiteblaze reunion...wanted to put a face with the famous sharp tounged "Blue Jay"...perhaps I'll run into you on the Trail someday. I still owe you a beer.

Introduced myself to Mountain Dew (wasn't sure what would happen)...actually seemed like a nice guy.

And there was Sgt Rock with a great never ending smile.

And the biggest thrill...meeting Lone Wolf in person when he wasn't carrying a gun.

attroll
05-20-2005, 23:01
The guy in the photo is
"Domino"

LK

Thanks Lion King.

abeille
05-25-2005, 09:24

.Greetings all. I stumbled across this thread accidentally. Domino - the singer/songwriter - is my boyfriend and referred me to this site. He posted the lyrics to both Mindless Switchbacks and Hitchhiker Blues on *gasp* another site where he keeps a journal. Here they are, as he posted, for anyone who was looking for them:

Words to MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS and HITCH HIKER BLUES as written and performed by Domino's WOOD Group(not to be confused with a Rock group) WOOD'N MAID'N at Trail Days 2005:

MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS

Mindless Switchbacks (crowd repeat)
I could go straight into town and buy a Double Stack but there's these

Now in Georgia they are proud (crowd repeat)
Of getting you to crack (crowd repeat)
By touching every hill (crowd repeat)
with their mindless switchbacks (crowd repeat)

Well they missed "Brasstown Bald," now what's up with that?

Well I'll take the rocks and roots, (crowd repeat)
up's and down's and straight-aways (crowd repeat)
But these mindless switchbacks (crowd repeat)
seem to never head to Maine (crowd repeat)

It would be a 1000 miles if the line was straight on the map but there are

No Pain, No Rain, No Maine (crowd repeat)
Some walk real slow, some run.(crowd repeat)
But just going back and forth, (crowd repeat)
I say 'No Sun, No Fun, I'm Done!' (crowd repeat)

Since your going east to west, well you may as well slack-pack
(those) Mindless Switchbacks (crowd repeat)
Yeah, we could go straight into town and get 4 Big Macs but there are these

HITCH HIKER BLUES

I got the hitch(pause) hiker(pause) blues.

Well we finally hit the road, had done 18 miles that day
All uphill in the snow, man it sucked in a bad way
we stuck our thumbs out for the people driving by
they just flew us "the bird" tried not to look us in the eye

I got the hitch(VROOM) hiker(VROOM) blues.
VROOM (Band) VROOM (Band)

Hours later a truck stopped, man said 'boys jump in the back'
So we squeezed between his dog and a bunch of other crap.
He took every turn like he drove a race machine,
about 10 miles from town we all were tunring green.

Bruce Spruce on the Belly Flute! (Belly Flute Solo)

When we finally got to town there was a glaze in our eyes
we picked the bugs out of our teeth and rubbed cramps out of our thighs
all we wanted was a beer and you should of heard us cry
when we finally realized that the county it was "dry!"

WOOD'N MAID'N
Domino- Lead Vocals and Lyics (if you can call them that)
Bruce Spruce- Belly Flute and Background Vocals
JP (aka Bruce Moose 'Stunt Double')- Woodalallee and Background Vocals
Stilts- Didjareedo and Background Vocals
Sunshine- Car Driver and THE Belly Flute
NEXT YEAR in 2006- WOOD'N MAID'N line up:
I Got GAME, You Got GAME
Skit rendition of "The Trees" -by RUSH (There is unrest in the forest, There is trouble with the trees ... )
Grab'd a Pack and Rode a "Dendren"
plus many other "hits" as well as MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS II(the forgotten verses)

abeille
05-25-2005, 09:37
there really wasn't much of a tune, sort of a chant, or rap, with audience participation. I vaguely remember one verse.

" We could have gone straight into town
for a cheeseburger double stack
If it weren't for those
MINDLESS SWITCHBACKS"

Or something similar to this.

Here's a link to his picture. Anybody know who this is?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7237/sort/1/cat/536/page/1The Mindless Switchbacks Guy is Domino. He is my boyfriend, and I really love the picture. Do you mind if I snag a copy of it?

Thanks!

attroll
05-25-2005, 12:12
The Mindless Switchbacks Guy is Domino. He is my boyfriend, and I really love the picture. Do you mind if I snag a copy of it?

Thanks!Go for it. Thanks for posting the lyrics for everyone.

Rain Man
05-25-2005, 14:40
... Domino - the singer/songwriter - is my boyfriend and referred me to this site. ...

Ahhhhhh! Domino. Took a pic of him at Mollies Ridge Shelter, my first day in the Smokies. He wasn't staying, was going on for bigger miles, if I recall.

Here's the pic. I also have pics of most of the Wood'n Maid'n crew, if you'd like. Just let me know.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7364/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Lilred
05-25-2005, 18:00
The Mindless Switchbacks Guy is Domino. He is my boyfriend, and I really love the picture. Do you mind if I snag a copy of it?

Thanks!

Not at all, go for it. I got one of him in the parade as well on trailjournals, totally by accident. I was clicking pictures so fast I didn't know who I was getting.

Blue Jay
05-26-2005, 06:25
Damn, Wood'n Maid'n is going to be back next year. Now I have to again drive 800 freaken miles. It's worth the trip just for the artistry of the belly flute.