PDA

View Full Version : Overnight rec for CT/MA/NY region

pheldozer
10-25-2012, 10:22
heading out on saturday morning with some friends for a night on the AT. we've got a couple first timers, one of whom is pregnant. looking for suggestions for a 10+/- mile section. loop is preferred, out/back is acceptable.
bull's bridge-kent and sharon mountain-pine knob are a few were kicking around.

trying to skip the bear mountain/sages ravine/mt.riga area. something on the flat side, with minimal crowds would be ideal.

thanks!

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 10:25
I forget exactly where it is, but avoid whatever section that includes Schagticoke Mt., your pregnant friend will not be amused.

hikerboy57
10-25-2012, 10:29
try harriman state park, countless loop ideas available.

jakedatc
10-25-2012, 10:30
And you know we could be getting some nasty weather Sunday. So you may want to keep an eye on that and back it off to a day hike if it looks rough

Starchild
10-25-2012, 10:30
Harriman and Fahnstock give many loop possibilities with Fahnstock being flatter and less crowded. Maybe Sterling Forest.

You may also try the section north of the Sages Raviene, though we are getting away from loop hiking at that point. Sections around Great Barrington, such as East Mountain, and North of rt 23 offer some solitude and in general easier hiking - Also I will be on that section this w/e so if you would be interested in meeting along the way we could perhaps coordinate that - I am planning 2 nights from Tyringham to about Rt 7.

If you go north of that, just south of the Mass pike there is a hut which is probably still open and you can get away without tents. Forgot the name but it's around a lake, maybe goose pond, and is the first shelter/campground south of the Pike.

tdoczi
10-25-2012, 10:32
I forget exactly where it is, but avoid whatever section that includes Schagticoke Mt., your pregnant friend will not be amused.

when i hiked moosilauke the throng of people on the summit taking their photograph at the sign included a woman who was easily 6 months pregnant.

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 10:35
when i hiked moosilauke the throng of people on the summit taking their photograph at the sign included a woman who was easily 6 months pregnant.

yikes!

Hosaphone
10-25-2012, 10:37
heading out on saturday morning with some friends for a night on the AT. we've got a couple first timers, one of whom is pregnant. looking for suggestions for a 10+/- mile section. loop is preferred, out/back is acceptable.
bull's bridge-kent and sharon mountain-pine knob are a few were kicking around.

trying to skip the bear mountain/sages ravine/mt.riga area. something on the flat side, with minimal crowds would be ideal.

thanks!

Doh! I saw the title and was going to recommend that area! The South Taconic Trail runs parallel to that section, just to the west. You can make a pretty nice, easy loop by parking at state park headquarters and going up Mt Alander. There is a campground on the way up and even a little cabin at the top where you can stay. You can either do an out-and-back up Alander, or loop around to the south to make it longer. Alander is only 2200 feet and has great views from the top. Also, for whatever reason, very few people hike there. You won't have to worry about crowds. Seems like a fairly ideal trip.

I've taken people there and it works out well. They get to feel like they climbed a mountain and enjoy views from the top even though it's a really easy climb. There's a nice fire pit at the cabin near the top, and if you get bad weather you can hide out in the cabin.

jakedatc
10-25-2012, 10:38
My friend was rock climbing at the gym 3 days before her daughter was born. all kinds of stuff can be done as long as the dr approves and the mom can handle it.

pheldozer
10-25-2012, 10:38
Thanks for the recs everybody. We're planning on doing the bulk of the mileage on saturday, and then a shorter hike out on sunday to beat the rain and get inside before the patriots kick off.

Car shuttles aren't an issue if that changes anyone's recs.

Train Wreck
10-25-2012, 10:45
My friend was rock climbing at the gym 3 days before her daughter was born. all kinds of stuff can be done as long as the dr approves and the mom can handle it.

Oh, I agree, basically, with you and tdoczi...as long as she's well-informed about the difficulty of whatever trail they choose, and the doctor okays it, sure.
I'm fairly fit, not pregnant, and Schagticoke still kicked my butt when I did it. :)

Moosky
10-25-2012, 10:46
Fahnestock has many trails and a lot of them are quite flat.

Cookerhiker
10-25-2012, 14:50
The flattest - and I would say the only literally "flat" stretch in your area of consideration - is along the Housatonic River in CT. But the AT section immediately south of it - St. John's Ledges - is most definitely not flat.

Driver8
10-25-2012, 22:24
Thanks for the recs everybody. We're planning on doing the bulk of the mileage on saturday, and then a shorter hike out on sunday to beat the rain and get inside before the patriots kick off.

Car shuttles aren't an issue if that changes anyone's recs.

I haven't hiked the section I'm gonna mention, but I gather it's relatively flat and is about the right distance for your itinerary: start at Rt. 20 just north of the MassPike and hike north to Dalton or thereabouts. If you like, you can finish up at the Cookie Lady's farm, though she might not be baking cookies this time of year. The best views in CT and MA are in the Greylock and Bear/Everett/Race areas, but the trail is relatively tough there, in comparison to much of the surrounding area. Stratton Mtn is a pretty, relatively easy climb, and tenting or staying in the shelter near Stratton Pond would be a treat. Going north from Stratton Arlington, you could finish up at 11/30 in a second car, or you could loop back via Stratton Pond trail to your place of beginning, only a few miles. There are nice hikes, I gather, around the pond and on blue-blaze trails in Lye Brook Wilderness. The area's pretty gentle - a good workout, but not killer - and the views from Stratton's tower on a clear day are superb and distant - well into the Greens, the Whites and even the Daks.

Driver8
10-25-2012, 22:28
PS: Just to be clear, I've hiked the Stratton area a couple of times, but not the Mass stretch I mention.