PDA

View Full Version : National Park Service Sued Over Transmission Corridor Through Delaware Water Gap

WingedMonkey
10-25-2012, 16:10
"Top National Park Service officials again have found themselves sued by conservation groups over one of their permitting decisions, this time in response to a decision to allow the expansion of a transmission corridor through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and two other units of the park system."

At the Appalachian Mountain Club, Mark Zakutansky said that group "worked to save this unique natural area from the Tocks Island Dam project over 40 years ago. Our volunteers have invested over 50,000 hours building and maintaining trails there, and each year we introduce over 10,000 people to the area through outdoor programs. Millions of people from New York City and Philadelphia find respite in the area’s magnificent views and recreational opportunities. We cannot stand on the sidelines while the Delaware Water Gap is permanently despoiled and we will fight once again to protect it.”

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/10/national-park-service-sued-over-decision-expand-transmission-corridor-through-delaware-water-gap-nra10687

leaftye
10-25-2012, 18:07
I wish them luck in that fight.

inspectorgene
10-25-2012, 18:24
They ain't gonna win. Only ones that are gonna get anything are the lawyers... Power companies can do whatever, whenever, to whomever...

Tinker
10-25-2012, 18:50
They ain't gonna win. Only ones that are gonna get anything are the lawyers... Power companies can do whatever, whenever, to whomever...

Someone is impersonating our dearly beloved Lone Wolf. :D

inspectorgene
10-25-2012, 20:43
I know where-of I speak. Been there-done that with a little company named Georgia Power. They actually own the whole state of Georgia, they are just taking a little piece of it back at a time.

chief
10-26-2012, 00:01
which part of "utility easement" didn't you understand?

Pedaling Fool
10-26-2012, 09:45
Why don't we all protest the utility companies by shutting off our power...starting with your computers:)

WingedMonkey
10-26-2012, 10:34
Why don't we all protest the utility companies by shutting off our power...starting with your computers:)

Try it, maybe it will save some tropical butterflies raised in a cage in Europe.

;P

bear bag hanger
10-28-2012, 12:37
I agree with most of the posts here, but you may be able to reduce the impact they have by forcing it into a smaller project or more camouflage system. I've seen it work in other states.

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2012, 14:04
This is an old fight - the power supplys NYC and the power lines are there already, this is replacing them and updating them to double the capacity....and improve the steel supports the wires there now are very old. This is a needed improvement for local infrastructure.

Pedaling Fool
10-28-2012, 14:28
This is an old fight - the power supplys NYC and the power lines are there already, this is replacing them and updating them to double the capacity....and improve the steel supports the wires there now are very old. This is a needed improvement for local infrastructure.I only skimmed thru the article, but that's the impression I came away with: Largely updating/improving already existing infrastructure. I'm sure there will be some new paths created, but mostly updates. Besides, what are they suppose to do? Have an area without power.