PDA

View Full Version : Trangia Stove Winter Attachement

Moosky
10-25-2012, 18:13
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36362&c=516

Has anyone had experience with the setup above? Does it really work in cold temperature?

I have a Trangia stove. I'm considering whether I should get the winter attachment.

Thanks!

Starchild
10-25-2012, 18:28
I have seen it on other stoves, if used the same way you put some DA in that 'saucer' to preheat the stove, get it to prime faster. It does prime much faster that way, uses more fuel, I have no idea how it works in very cold conditions.

melaniebk
10-25-2012, 18:36
I'll be interested to see what kind of responses you get. I've been looking at stove systems and the Trangia is on my short list. I'm pulling for you, you know.:jump I've been reading your posts with great interest. Maybe we'll meet in the middle somewhere. We're SOBO in July!

Tinker
10-25-2012, 18:46
It's just a fancy primer pan. You could make one for nada if you have a cat that eats canned food. Simply cut down a cat food can so that it's about 1/2" high. Put Trangia in middle of primer pan, add a few drops of fuel to pan and light. If there is enough fuel in the pan it should light the Trangia also. The Trangia is a low pressure stove, so the fuel inside doesn't have immediate access to air as it would in a non-pressurized stove (Supercat and similar). The stove is therefore a little more resistant to a quick cold weather start than the Supercat, but the adjustability of the flame is a big bonus. Whatever stove you use, if you keep the fuel close to your body while hiking and sleeping with it will cause the stove to catch a flame much more quickly than if you do not. Also - heating some water and putting it into a water bottle and sleeping with it will help speed the boil.

I was amazed a couple of years ago to find that my boil time in +5 degree (f) weather (Supercat, no primer pan) was only a minute more than it normally is when the temps are in the 40s and 50s using this method. I have a water bottly cozy that helps keep the water very warm all night while helping me stay warm as well.

grayfox
10-26-2012, 09:19
I made a small insulator for my alcohol stove by wrapping a round piece of cork in foil. I think normal people use this thin cork to protect table tops from water damage from plants or as a coaster. You really could just cut a piece of cardboard to size--covered in foil it will not catch fire.

cabbagehead
10-26-2012, 17:07
It probably works because it raises the stove off the ground. Another way to insulate a stove from the ground is to place it on a shallow empty upside-down can.

I know that many small cat food cans are aluminum. A large cat food can might be best. I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ySI-WYe_Y

rhyolite
10-26-2012, 17:59
I have experimented with many versions of soda can stoves and use the lid to an Irish Steel-cut oatmeal can as my primer pan. I have found that priming is the best way to build up vapor pressure rapidly. No snow in coastal CA to test it though I could set it in a pan of ice and see what happens:-)
Mike

rhyolite
01-26-2013, 20:46
I know this response is really late, but thanks to all for valuable input! I've been vacillating lots on which type of stove to bring since I'll be cooking for two. I considered the wood burning stoves because of infinite fuel along the trail, but it will often likely be wet and difficult starting! Anyone had great success starting a wood stove with wet wood, or better yet in the rain? I'm tempted to pack the MSR whisper lite. Been told that they burn ordinary gasoline (though dirtier) a lot cheaper than white gas. Any suggestions on what stoves have worked the best?