PDA

View Full Version : AT Museum display idea

Krewzer
05-16-2005, 09:48
I spent some time talking with Larry Luxenberg and some of the voluteers at the AT Museum booth at Trail Days this weekend and mentioned an idea that's been buzzing around in my head. One relative to trail traditions, specifically about a display of those little pebbles hikers pick up at the start and carry to the end of their hike. Larry is such a nice guy he made me think it wasn't a bad idea and could have some merit.

I think he actually said something like it "was new suggestion that hadn't come up before." Well naturally I've taken that to mean it's a fantastic idea.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it here and get some feed back, then maybe send it on up for a little more consideration.

Yes, I know you're supposed to leave the rock at the far end and take one back to the start. But I couldn't leave it after all the time and miles we'd spent together. Mine sits next to the rest of my favorite stuff in Krewzer's Hiker Shrine. Housed here are; a rabbit's foot, small rubber chicken, a glow in the dark moon, 3 pair worn out boots, a moose shaped back massager, and much more other really important stuff.

It's all absolutely meaningless to anyone... except to me and other AT hikers. But these little pebbles hold the most memories.

(Larry, if you or any of the Museum folk are reading this and are about to panic, write me. I'll try to make it up to you.)

So here's my questions:

Did you pick up a rock from the summit of Katahdin or Springer at the start or end of your hike?
Do you still have it?
Is it special or is it just a dust collector?
What will become of it when you're gone...as in dead?
Do you think such memorabilia belongs in the AT museum?

Gonzo!
05-17-2005, 09:12
I never carried a rock from Springer to Katahdin, I don't think it was much of a tradition in the early 80's. I did however send a small Pennsylvanian rock home to my mother I guess to remind me of the rocks there. I had been sending little things to her from the start.
What kind of things do you guys think should be in the museum besides rocks?Think of it this way... What would it take to draw you (not just you, Krewser) to the museum? The more response we get, the better the museum will become. This is your chance to make it the way you want it. Support the Appalachian Trail Museum Society - Become a member - www.atmuseum.org (http://www.atmuseum.org)

Gonzo!

hikerjohnd
05-17-2005, 10:55
As I have been working on my thesis, I have found through conversation that there is a tremendous amount of scholarship about the trail. I believe the ATC or the AT Muesum should call for papers and become a repository for AT scholarship. Maybe not a formal library, but at least a central collection point.

Gonzo!
05-17-2005, 10:59
BTW, I did carry one freeze dried dinner I bought at Neels Gap all the way and still have that as a remembrance. Maybe the exhibit should expand to include items of significance that were carried all the way (other than the regular backpacking items). My freeze dried dinner was my emergency food ration, too expensive too eat yet unique enough and light enough to warrent becomming special rations for emergency use only.

Gonzo!

Krewzer
05-19-2005, 00:03
Hey Gonzo, didn't expect to see you here, but glad you are. I'm sending my membership in this week.

It's not so much what would draw me to the Museum. That's a given, I'm already drawn. It's what would keep coming back.

What keeps me coming back to the AT is more than the mountains and woods, it's the hikers. Past hikers, present day hikers and future hikers. Just the everyday, ordinary, common hiker who has, is or someday hopes to pack up his gear and dreams, then head for Katahdin or where ever the spirit leads. I can't express what a great and wonderful group of people that is.

So for me, what would keep me coming back to an AT Museum would be an ever changing, growing display that commerates the ever changing hiker; yesterday's, today's and tomorrow's. Something that is a part of them, like a small pebble from Springer or a freeze-dried dinner with several thousand miles on it.

I may be a little overly dramatic here, but I think Benton MacKaye and the original planners and builders of the AT would love to know they were in such good company in the AT Museum.

I'd bet it was a hiker who originally said, "Build it, and they will come." And what fantastic people they are.

Gonzo!
05-19-2005, 10:20
I agree, what is necessary is something to keep people coming back, and also something to draw non hikers in as well. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that dream of going hiking, but can't for one reason or another. The museum is still looking for a nice place, hopefully on/near the AT, where it can draw a substantial crowd not only from hikers, but others as well. Krewser, sounds like you have some good insite into what might make the place interesting, keep those ideas coming. Let's hear from the rest of you as well.
BTW Krewser, have I met you before?
Gonzo!

Krewzer
05-20-2005, 10:02
I agree, what is necessary is something to keep people coming back, and also something to draw non hikers in as well. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that dream of going hiking, but can't for one reason or another. The museum is still looking for a nice place, hopefully on/near the AT, where it can draw a substantial crowd not only from hikers, but others as well. Krewser, sounds like you have some good insite into what might make the place interesting, keep those ideas coming. Let's hear from the rest of you as well.
BTW Krewser, have I met you before?
Gonzo!

I don't recall meeting, but it's possible. I'm terrible with names, but I think I would remember "Gonzo."

I've revisited the Museum home page and given it another read this morning. (atmuseum.org for those who haven't seen it yet.) The more I think about the concept, the better I like it.

"I seen some old boots worn by the old coots...

smelly old socks from the northern rocks...

there were walking sticks and lots of pics...

meals in town and falling down...

they did the mountain tops and some flip flopped..."

Y'all help me out here...there ought to be a country and western song in there somewhere.

Where's George Jones when you need him.

BTW. My membership is in the mail today.