PDA

View Full Version : Help: Planning a weekend hike w/my son

G-FOURce
10-26-2012, 13:13
Hello. My son and I have decided that we are going to begin a long journey of hiking the AT in pieces and we plan to kick that off this year. We live in Greenville, SC and I was hoping to get some feedback on where we should start. Also, my son is 10 years old so I'd prefer something he can tackle for a two or three night trip. Any comments, suggestions, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

johnnybgood
10-26-2012, 13:32
In your post you stated "this year" suggesting within the next few months , then hopefully you're preparing now. A hike in Shenandoah National Park would normally be my suggestion but with colder weather a few weeks away I'm somewhat hesitant making this a first trip.

If you and your son have the necessary cold weather gear then I would do the Rockfish Gap section to Swift Run Gap, a mileage of 44 trail miles. Many places to bail if the weather iis too bad or you simply want to do an overnighter.

With this trip you basically want to get a feel for the trail and making sure your son enjoys himself so this a perfect section to do just that.

FlyPaper
10-26-2012, 13:48
Hello. My son and I have decided that we are going to begin a long journey of hiking the AT in pieces and we plan to kick that off this year. We live in Greenville, SC and I was hoping to get some feedback on where we should start. Also, my son is 10 years old so I'd prefer something he can tackle for a two or three night trip. Any comments, suggestions, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've taken my boys out a few times, starting as young as 5 years old. There are two or three challenges when hiking with kids.

1. How much can they carry. So far, I've had my kids carry only their sleeping bag. I've carried all the extra food.
2. Can they make the distance?
3. What happens if I sprain an ankle, or worse, have a heart attack? Is there likely to be help available so my kids don't have to go it alone.

Someone suggested SNP, which is a good option because it is well traveled and their is plenty of road access. If you or your son get hurt and can't proceed, a road is always very close. And if you really can't move, another hiker will be along shortly. (for those of you who don't have kids, this may sound a bit paranoid. But I've envisioned myself having a heart attack while hiking with my 7 and 9 year old and want to be confident they wouldn't traipse aimlessly off the trail). Also, the terrain is good and the trails all have good footing, making it less likely you'll sprain an ankle or fall.

But SNP is a long way from Greenville, SC. If you are going anytime after March, you might consider starting at Springer. There are plenty of other hikers in case you should need help. The road crossings near springer, although gravel roads, are all accessible by regular car and actually have a good bit of traffic in the hiking season. Also, a 10 year old may not be able to make big miles. Georgia is chocked full of campsites suitable for 2 or 3 people. You can tailor your distance for whatever you can manage.

RED-DOG
10-26-2012, 14:24
Since you guys live in Grenville i suggest you guys start right on Springer VIA the Approach trail and begin your wounderful journey from Springer and head Northward. Babysh$t101 ( GA-ME 2012 )

Cookerhiker
10-26-2012, 15:02
With all due respect to the 2 posters above - and I really mean that....

Georgia is almost entirely up-and-down. Yes the trail is well-graded but it still requires a reasonable degree of aerobic fitness to enjoy the hike. You want to err on the side of an easy hike for your 10 year old son and I doubt you want to drive 6-8 hours for a 3 day hike which rules out Shenandoah. I would choose the stretch in Tennessee between Hampton (Rt. 321) and Damascus, VA. The entire length is 42 miles but you can shorten it using one of the 2 major roads that intersect the AT in-between: Rt. 91 and Rt. 421.

It's 20.5 miles from 321 to 91 and an additional 6.5 to 421. I certainly wouldn't describe this area as "flat" but it's markedly less hilly than any comparable stretch further south. And it's scenic in that you'll catch views especially as the leaves drop.

Only you know your and your son's capability but you don't want to overdo it.

G-FOURce
10-26-2012, 15:16
Great stuff here! My son has backpacked before, but the trails were short and easy to moderate in difficulty. I had hoped that we could make the first trip next month, but it looks like the logistics might push this back into December or even out until the spring. We have cold-weather gear and I think we'd be okay there. We both like it cold when we camp and backpack but I just need to be sure its not going be too cold.

G-FOURce
11-13-2012, 10:04
... I would choose the stretch in Tennessee between Hampton (Rt. 321) and Damascus, VA. The entire length is 42 miles but you can shorten it using one of the 2 major roads that intersect the AT in-between: Rt. 91 and Rt. 421.

It's 20.5 miles from 321 to 91 and an additional 6.5 to 421. I certainly wouldn't describe this area as "flat" but it's markedly less hilly than any comparable stretch further south. And it's scenic in that you'll catch views especially as the leaves drop.

this is exactly what we've decided to do. instead of a weekender, we're going to do a full week during his spring break and i want to find a section that we can do at our own pace and that has exit options should we need to bail. i am an experienced backpacker (i've done backcountry trips in Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Teton NP, GSMNP, etc.) and he already has a few trips under his belt. i'll start mapping out the logistics here.... Much appreciated!

yellowsirocco
11-13-2012, 10:15
Standing Indian loop is a great option for y'all. When I lived in the upstate that is where I would take noobs. There are side trails for exit options and it is pretty easy terrain. And it is not too bad of a drive and there is no shuttle required.

TheHermit
11-13-2012, 11:59
depending on the time of year you are going, i think the north end, baxter state park would be perfect. thats where i started when i was around 10, but that was a million years ago. still the best i have seen for starters though.

wornoutboots
11-13-2012, 13:09
I met a guy in Sasafrass Shelter (north of the NOC) with his boys, they started with a Springer section several years ago & have hiked north every year. They had a really great relationship & I could tell how much they all cherished their section hike every year. Whatever you decide, Enjoy!!

G-FOURce
11-13-2012, 14:09
we will be going during the week of March 11 - 15 since that is his spring break week. we are good with the cold (like cold weather and have the requisite gear), so i am not too worried about temps. too much rain and/or snow could be problematic for him, so i guess i need to consider that when deciding where to trek.

shelb
11-13-2012, 21:44
I took my two sons backpacking the MD section for 5 days (about 50 miles) when they were 10 and 12. They did fine, but they were both experienced and mentally ready for the challenge. .... It depends on the child...

I do agree with an earlier poster that you should consider safety and how your child could handle it if anything happened to you. In my case, both boys would have been alright about hiking to the next road crossing. If I just had my 10 year old, I wouldn't have done this section.

HooKooDooKu
11-15-2012, 00:42
Been hiking with my 10yo in the Smoky Mountains for a few years now. 10 miles per day is pretty much an absolute tops for use, with 8 being a bit more reasonable. When it comes to weight, I try to make sure to never exceed 20% of there body weight. So the 1st year, he was pretty much only carrying his sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and cloths. Now that he's about 75#, he's finally able to help ever so slightly in carrying the gear (such as the stove). I'm still pretty much stuck with all the wait for the food and tent.

G-FOURce
11-20-2012, 19:44
We are going to allow 8 days to cover the 40mi between Hampton and Damascus. The upside is that my stepfather will be dropping us off and picking us up so he wil be close by should anything go awry.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 22:54
this thread has migrated here... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89617-Inaugural-section-hike-w-son&highlight=