PDA

View Full Version : Packa

ChinMusic
10-26-2012, 22:36
I know we have had several threads in the past on the Packa. I have gone back and forth on trying one and am about to pull the trigger on a cuben version.

For those of you that have had a Packa (cuben, sil, or eVent) let me know what the downsides are.

HeartFire
10-27-2012, 05:37
I love my packa, but you want the downsides- if it's raining, and you have to take your pack off,(lets say to set up camp) you get wet - then you have the conundrum - do you use it as a pack cover and you get wet (while setting up camp) or do you use it as a jacket and stay dry but your pack gets wet while trying to set up.

yellowsirocco
10-27-2012, 07:21
If you use a hammock or a tarp, then the setting up camp issue that HeartFire speaks of goes away mostly. I always have my tarp in a handy place on my pack so I can set it up quickly. I mostly hammock, but actually carry a small tarp when I am tenting for cooking and extra living space.

Cadenza
10-27-2012, 08:20
I have the cuben Packa and honestly have not found a downside.

In the scenario you describe above, in a heavy downpour I would use a contractor bag to cover the pack until I could get a tarp strung up.
But realistically, in a light rain I would just lean the pack against a tree.

Once the tarp was up,....I'd sit down in my Slinglight chair and make coffee. While pondering my next move with a clear head it might stop raining. :cool:

kayak karl
10-27-2012, 08:37
i have found no down sides. hiked 500 mi. trip with a mountain hardware rain and 500 mi trip with a packa. packa won hands down.

down side. you need to be organized. forgot a few times to put snacks and guide in packa pocket.

biggest advantage is on the days when it rains, stops, rains, stops etc..you can slip your arms out of sleeves and just let it hang from pack.

SouthMark
10-27-2012, 08:55
I hammock and carry my tarp in an outside pack pocket. If it is raining I retrieve my tarp through a pit zip. I then pitch my tarp before removing my Packa. I love this thing and have found no downsides. It served me quite well in Maine the June that had 26 days of rain.

stumpknocker
10-27-2012, 08:58
I didn't know Cedar Tree was making a cuben Packa now. I have one from years ago and bought it for one reason....winter.

I don't care as much in other seasons. If it's cold out when it's raining, I'll wear a rain jacket. If it's warm out I consider the rain a free and much needed shower. I'll either wear the hood of the rain jacket and let the rest flop over my pack or not wear a rain jacket at all. I just tie the sleeves of the rain jacket to the side straps of my pack to secure it if I flop it over the pack.

I ONLY carry a Packa in winter. There is nothing worse to me than having snow dumped down my back all day long when I work my way through the low hanging snow laden rhododendrons. The Packa works great at solving that very unpleasant situation.

BrianLe
10-27-2012, 09:03
Weight is the big issue for me ... my eVent packa is too heavy to take on a trip that I'm not sure is going to have pretty wet weather. And of course, one is less inclined to go on such trips ...
Nevertheless, it's a fantastic piece of gear to have when the weather is at least a bit more sketchy.

It's also an issue if you want to strap anything sizeable outside of your pack --- ice axe in particular, but also perhaps a foam pad, anything that stops the pack cover part of it from going nicely and easily over the pack.

I don't tend to bring a windshirt when I have the packa, as it's easy to put the packa on and take it off, or put it sort of "partly on". These are all things that I like, of course, but sometimes I'm not expecting rain but want the wind proofing, and in that scenario it's a bit of a PITA to have the pack cover part on only so I can use the jacket --- or have the pack cover part waded up a bit under the pack if I decline to do that. Bottom line there is that IMO it's just some hassle having a pack cover on in conditions where it's not really needed --- much nicer to have quicker, easier access to pack contents.

It can also be a pain when you have the pack off but want your raingear on. I fiddled with mine and came up with a pretty quick way to cinch up the loose pack cover part so I wasn't sitting on it or having it flop around too much, so this one for me was pretty well mitigated with a little attention.

It's a great piece of gear; not right for every trip for me, but just outstanding when I'm not bringing an ice axe and the long range weather forecast isn't optimistic.

10-K
10-27-2012, 09:07
I need to borrow one of these things and see what the fuss is about. I can't quite grasp why it's better than a pack liner and cover and rain gear. A Packa seems like an all or nothing proposition to me... Sometimes (most of the time) when it's just drizzling I have on my pack cover and enjoy hiking in the mist.....

I have always assumed that if it rains enough to really matter stuff is just going to get wet .. Does a Packa change that?

Red Hat
10-27-2012, 10:24
I need to borrow one of these things and see what the fuss is about. I can't quite grasp why it's better than a pack liner and cover and rain gear. A Packa seems like an all or nothing proposition to me... Sometimes (most of the time) when it's just drizzling I have on my pack cover and enjoy hiking in the mist.....

I have always assumed that if it rains enough to really matter stuff is just going to get wet .. Does a Packa change that?

yes, it does keep your stuff dry! my only downside is, gasp, fashion.... I feel kind of silly wearing it in town without a pack underneath. Oh, and you can't use it as a coverup when you do your laundry...

yellowsirocco
10-27-2012, 11:05

It is very much not all or nothing. When it looks like it is going to rain I slip the packa on as a pack cover and tuck the jacket part back. Then when it really starts raining all I have to do is reach behind me and pull the jacket part out while I am still walking. You don't even have to stop to put your raincoat on. Then when it slacks off but you are not for sure that the storm is really over you just slip out of the jacket and let it hang behind your arms where it is ready at a moment's notice for the next downpour. Sometimes I also use it as sort of a cape as well.

In fact Cedar Tree lays it all out on his website:
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page346.html

SouthMark
10-27-2012, 11:13
One thing that has not been mentioned is that with the Packa on; shoulder straps, hip belt, any hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, etc. stay dry.

SouthMark
10-27-2012, 11:18
Cedar Tree has been offering a cuben version for over a year now. Medicine Man and I contacted Joe at Zpacks about making us a cuben Packa. We put him in touch with Eddie and Joe made a prototype (which I have now). It actually came out a little too small but I was able to modify it. Meantime Eddie decided to start offering it in cuben The cuben version is listed on his Custom Packas page.

ChinMusic
10-27-2012, 11:38
I appreciate all the comments. This is what I as hoping for.

I already have a cuben pack cover that weighs next to nothing. Would it be worth taking it with me as well to put over the pack if I have to set up camp in the rain? Or for pack-off breaks?

10-K
10-27-2012, 11:58
I appreciate all the comments. This is what I as hoping for.

I already have a cuben pack cover that weighs next to nothing. Would it be worth taking it with me as well to put over the pack if I have to set up camp in the rain? Or for pack-off breaks?

Sure.. pack it with the crampons and defibulator.. :)

ChinMusic
10-27-2012, 12:05

Well, I did mention that the cuben pack cover weighs next to nothing. Others have mentioned using a trash bag, which is heavier.

Still looking for that perfect UL defibrillator....

Rocket Jones
10-27-2012, 13:54
Still looking for that perfect UL defibrillator....

Mine's not UL, but it uses the same batteries as my headlamp, so I got that going for me. ;)

Tipi Walter
10-27-2012, 14:09
How is it with jabs and punctures? Plus, do they make a Packa to cover a 7,000 cubic inch pack?? If it can't totally cover my pack it's useless to me.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/On-Hangover-Mt-with-the/i-pxhDDbz/0/L/TRIP-138-148-L.jpg

bamboo bob
10-27-2012, 14:40
i used a Packa this summer on the AT for 1000 miles. It did not work for me. If it rained I got soaked. I still have no idea why. I think it needed a better seam sealing although it was taped. I suggested sea sealer but he said he couldn't take it back if I did that. I sent it back to him and he gave me my money back. I really wanted it to work so I kept it way longer than I should have. It was fine in cold snowy weather in March.

garlic08
10-27-2012, 15:25

I think 10K is talking about a piece of gear to remove the smaller bone in the lower leg. Maybe something to do with shin splints.

Another Kevin
10-27-2012, 15:34
TipiWalter, I always wonder how you manage to hump that thing around, but since you do more backpacking in a winter than I'll probably have done in a lifetime, I'll defer to the master!

ChinMusic
10-27-2012, 16:57
I think 10K is talking about a piece of gear to remove the smaller bone in the lower leg. Maybe something to do with shin splints.
It's non-weight bearing. A real thruhiker shouldn't need it.........

SouthMark
10-27-2012, 17:13
Tipi, a cuben Packa is probably too light for you.

yellowsirocco
10-27-2012, 17:42
How is it with jabs and punctures? Plus, do they make a Packa to cover a 7,000 cubic inch pack?? If it can't totally cover my pack it's useless to me.

They make custom cuban Packas to your specs. Cuban is supposed to hold up pretty good (I don't own any myself).

Tipi Walter
10-27-2012, 18:27
They make custom cuban Packas to your specs. Cuban is supposed to hold up pretty good (I don't own any myself).

I was just wondering since I have to replace my Outdoor Research covers about every 2 years.

SouthMark
10-27-2012, 18:50
I was just wondering since I have to replace my Outdoor Research covers about every 2 years.

Cuben is more puncture proof than silnylon. I have a cuben rain kilt that I use for a ground matt under my hammock. Two years of use and no punctures from rocks, sticks, etc.

Cedar Tree
10-27-2012, 20:20
I love my packa, but you want the downsides- if it's raining, and you have to take your pack off,(lets say to set up camp) you get wet - then you have the conundrum - do you use it as a pack cover and you get wet (while setting up camp) or do you use it as a jacket and stay dry but your pack gets wet while trying to set up.

If it is raining I retrieve my tarp through a pit zip. I then pitch my tarp before removing my Packa.
This is what I do too.

I have one from years ago and bought it for one reason....winter.
I do all my hiking in moderately cold to very cold weather. I love the eVent Packa for hiking in cold weather.

Weight is the big issue for me
Earlier this month I used a new 10 Denier Packa prototype for a 31 mile hike. It weighs 8oz and worked quite will. I even got a little rain with it. Seemed very fragile though, more fragile than the cuben I use. Price will somewhere around $165, or about half of what a custom cuben Packa costs.

I need to borrow one of these things and see what the fuss is about.
I go through Erwin a good bit on trips to GA to see the family. I'd be happy to drop one off for you to try.

my only downside is, gasp, fashion.... I feel kind of silly wearing it in town without a pack underneath. Oh, and you can't use it as a coverup when you do your laundry...
What color do you have? The olive green and charcoal conceal much more than the gray. Event is non-see-through, cuben not so much. I think people look very cool carrying the Packa.

How is it with jabs and punctures? Plus, do they make a Packa to cover a 7,000 cubic inch pack??
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/On-Hangover-Mt-with-the/i-pxhDDbz/0/L/TRIP-138-148-L.jpg
Only the eVent fabric I offer would stand up to the type of hiking you do. But, based on your picture I don't think I could make a custom Packa to fit that pack. The limiting factor for Packa size is the size of the hole in the back of the jacket. Notice in in your pic how the packcover opening is much bigger than the back of the jacket. If the hole in the back of the jacket won't fit around your pack, the Packa will not work for you.

Thanks for the positive comments,
Cedar Tree

Cadenza
10-27-2012, 22:34

Tipi,

I have the perfect pack cover for you.
It fits a little loose on my hog but I believe it would snug up on your pack.
The orange reflective Harley-Davidson logo would be nice change from the OR. :D

Tipi Walter
10-28-2012, 00:29
Thanks for the replies and info, especially from Cedar Tree. The quest for the perfect pack cover has been a 30 year search as I am definitely not one of those people who uses a pack liner as it's just one more layer to fiddle with and just more of a hassle when you've got many items to pack every day on an in-and-out basis. Of course the important stuff is sealed tight---the sleeping bag and the camera and a few other items.

I practice the "wait a minute and the deluge will stop" technique when backpacking in rain. When it dumps buckets I'll throw off the pack and lean it up against a tree and if cold put on my rain jacket and squat on my haunches and wait for the worst of it to pass. In the Southeast hard downpours usually last only 20 to 30 minutes. By leaning up the pack no water goes down the shoulder harness between my pack and back.

Sometimes I even cover up with a small tarp and wait out the storm. For light to moderate rain I keep moving like everybody else, and the pack cover works well, especially in the winter when I don't want the pack to get wet and freeze solid later that night. Frozen straps and zippers suk.

trapper
10-28-2012, 09:54
Mine's not UL, but it uses the same batteries as my headlamp, so I got that going for me. ;)
lmao....
this is now long. enough to post

HeartFire
10-28-2012, 10:12
The new packas have a 2 way zipper which really improves the product. (mine doesn't have one) often in warmer rainy weather, I just keep the hood on cinched closed under my chin, this keeps my shoulders covered - keeps the straps on my pack dry and my pack is protected, the rest of me can get wet - also, the pit zips are so big, you can always put your arms out the the zippers for more ventilation.

BrianLe
10-28-2012, 10:12
O.P. followed up with:

"I already have a cuben pack cover that weighs next to nothing. Would it be worth taking it with me as well to put over the pack if I have to set up camp in the rain? Or for pack-off breaks?"

Trying to understand the question here: are you talking about a pack cover in addition to using a Packa? Even at very light weight, I personally wouldn't consider that.

Since you already have a cuben pack cover, and if perhaps you have a rain jacket that you like --- I'd just stick with those. Maybe add a rain skirt if conditions warrant (they make those in cuben too if you have the $$ to use that way).
One nice thing about that approach (multiple lightweight pieces rather than an all-in-one item) is that you might appreciate the flexibility of using just one or two such gear items at a time. On a really long trip you can mail home a piece you no longer want, and for shorter trips just take the subset of pieces desired. Sometimes with the packa I miss the simple ease-of-use of just putting on a particular gear item without it having to involve my pack.

And I guess I should add to the list of possible downsides that you need the pack cover part of the Packa reasonably sized to your pack and associated contents (pack volume). The pack cover part of the Packa I have is on the lean side for shoulder season or winter trips --- when one tends to carry a bit more stuff. It's not fun to have to wrestle or finagle the pack cover on and off multiple times a day when it's a tight fit. I guess the more ultra-light folks would suggest that this just imposes good discipline on me. I'd rather have my discipline imposed by logic and a checklist ... anyway, if you do get a Packa, pay close attention to the largest pack volume you're likely to want to use it with. In using other pack covers over the years I have rarely had an issue getting one adjusted to fit.

Getting straps and waist belt wet doesn't bother me. But I do like the Packa in situations where snow can dump down between my pack and coat. I do like the overall better ventilation. I really, particularly like it in condition where it's raining for a while, then it stops, then it starts again ... very very nice to be able to put on and take off the jacket part without stopping. So I'm not particularly trying to talk you out of one (!). The point of this thread, however, was to address every conceivable downside (and certainly a group of backpackers can come up with such a list for pretty much any gear item ...).

cmich
10-29-2012, 14:46
The pack cover seems redundant with the packa.*

max patch
10-29-2012, 14:52

The issue is when you stop hiking and want to take your pack off -- what stays dry; you or the pack. The pack cover would allow you to wear the packa and keep your pack dry. There are work arounds to this issue but they all sound like a pita to me.

max patch
10-29-2012, 14:53

The issue is when you stop hiking and want to take your pack off -- what stays dry; you or the pack. The pack cover would allow you to wear the packa and keep your pack dry. There are work arounds to this issue but they all sound like a pita to me.

cmich
10-29-2012, 15:03
Yes that does seem to be a problem. This is the reason why hiking with a poncho did not work for me. Tried it and didn't like it. Its a cuben pack cover and rain jacket for me.

ChinMusic
10-29-2012, 15:33
O.P. followed up with:

Trying to understand the question here: are you talking about a pack cover in addition to using a Packa? Even at very light weight, I personally wouldn't consider that.

Since you already have a cuben pack cover, and if perhaps you have a rain jacket that you like --- I'd just stick with those. Maybe add a rain skirt if conditions warrant (they make those in cuben too if you have the $$ to use that way).
One nice thing about that approach (multiple lightweight pieces rather than an all-in-one item) is that you might appreciate the flexibility of using just one or two such gear items at a time.
Yeah, I was just kinda typing "out loud".

I already have cuben pack cover. I already have a cuben rain skirt. My current jacket (Montbell) seems to have lost its mojo. I recently used it to watch a local HS football game in the tail end of Hurricane Isaac and got completely soaked (no sweating). I am exploring a Packa, probably cuben, or a cuben jacket like Joe makes at Zpacks. I'm just not sure Joe's large is gonna be large enough to comfortably go over a down jacket/parka.

The Packa caught my eye for its superior venting. Having the Packa go over the straps of the pack, instead of the straps going over the jacket, would seem to let the hot/moist air out much better. Packa wearers seem to really love the product. I have just never used one.

BrianLe
10-30-2012, 01:59
"My current jacket (Montbell) seems to have lost its mojo."

Whether a Packa is the right gear item for you is, of course, something you'll have to guess at, but in any case I suggest you get the right sort of stuff to reapply the DWR to your Montbell coat --- i.e., give it it's Mojo back. Nikwax makes a product for this, others do too; in some cases you spray it on and put it in the dryer. Poke around and with a little effort you can hopefully find the right stuff to revive that gear item.

The Packa definitely does vent well, no question about that. If it's just generally very humid out, there's a limit of how much that's going to help you, but in some conditions at least it's excellent.

max patch
10-30-2012, 08:14
Packa wearers seem to really love the product.

Almost everybody loves their gear. We're not Consumer Reports, buying and testing 10 stoves and deciding which one is best; we read, ask questions, make a decision, and for the most part learn to love what we have. Positive reviews on a forum mean little to me. Negative reviews and comments are where you really learn something about a product.

drifter
11-04-2012, 09:34
I just purchased my Packa and used it last week - really liked it. As others mentioned there are some pros and cons and I likely won't take it on every trip but it worked super at keeping pack straps and hip belt protected. The big side pockets were also handy for throwing in either a snack, gloves etc.

10-K
11-04-2012, 11:53
Drifter, do I recognize that picture of you in the snow? :)

MedicineMan
11-11-2012, 07:20
I remember meeting Cedar Tree in the Smokies. He'd already done his thru and like me just out for the weekend getting woods time in. He offered me the chance of checking out the Packa then but I didn't--later when I did check it out I regretted not jumping on it when I had that first chance.
We're out every other week-almost 4 years non stop being out there and the Packa is always packed.
I think most know how good it is for backpacking (and I've even mastered how to remove my pack withou
taking the Packa off!) but over the last year we've gotten in 1600 miles of bikecamping and decided that it
is an awesome garment for cycling.
We're headed to the Big South Fork next weekend. The Packa is already packed.

yellowsirocco
11-11-2012, 08:01
I think most know how good it is for backpacking (and I've even mastered how to remove my pack withou
taking the Packa off!) but over the last year we've gotten in 1600 miles of bikecamping and decided that it
is an awesome garment for cycling.
We're headed to the Big South Fork next weekend. The Packa is already packed.

Please explain. I own a packa, but don't understand how it would be implemented on a bike. Are you doing mountain bike camping with a backpack? I am looking to start touring, but I would use panniers and I can't see how a packa would help there.

Speaking of bikes, I am headed out for a cup of coffee in the next town over.

Lyle
11-11-2012, 12:26
One thing that has not been mentioned is that with the Packa on; shoulder straps, hip belt, any hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, etc. stay dry.

The first and only real advantage I've seen or heard mentioned.

Not ready to buy yet though. I like my plastic bags, rain cover, syl-nylon jacket and rain wrap. Much lighter combo and more versatile.

BrianLe
11-11-2012, 13:56
"The first and only real advantage I've seen or heard mentioned."
Perhaps opinions on this sort of thing will always vary, but if you think that keeping straps and hip belt dry is the only real advantage, I feel that there's a communication issue. For me, at least, the big advantages are:

(1) being able to quickly don and doff raingear as conditions change --- without stopping to take off the pack
(2) better ventilation; those straps and hip belt constrain a normal coat, the packa stays loose over everything, so with the big vents open, it can really vent
(3) the sort of whole-system complete coverage that a poncho offers, but more form fitting, not a problem in high wind

SouthMark
11-11-2012, 14:24
Perhaps opinions on this sort of thing will always vary, but if you think that keeping straps and hip belt dry is the only real advantage, I feel that there's a communication issue. For me, at least, the big advantages are:

(1) being able to quickly don and doff raingear as conditions change --- without stopping to take off the pack
(2) better ventilation; those straps and hip belt constrain a normal coat, the packa stays loose over everything, so with the big vents open, it can really vent
(3) the sort of whole-system complete coverage that a poncho offers, but more form fitting, not a problem in high wind

I agree. My post said "one thing not mentioned" not "the only thing". Another thing that I like is the fact that I can carry my tarp in and outside pocket and when raining remove it with the Packa still on through the giant pit vents.

Cedar Tree
11-23-2012, 20:03
I just received the newest sample of a 10 Denier Packa from my manufacturer. 7.8 oz right out of the box!! Fully taped and ohhh so sweet. Not available yet but should be in about 6 -8 months. Price estimated to be around $165, or about half the cost of a cuben Packa and only 1 oz more than cuben. For you Aarn bodypack users, I also received the first "bodypacka" sample. It is also very nice and much more technical than the regular Packa as it was designed by Aarn Tate himself.
CT

kayak karl
11-23-2012, 20:26
make it in 6 months and ill buy one.
when are you going to make chaps :)

quilteresq
11-25-2012, 22:57
Actually, I have a gore tex jacket I use for every day, and my new Packa (not goretex - he tried mightily to talk me out of it) is significantly lighter than that. Likely won't use it for longer than day hikes before I hit the trail in March, but I will have some loaded day hikes for training. I have a cuben rain kilt that I also intend to use as a ground cloth in camp. Will likely carry a trash bag to cover the pack when setting up in the rain.

ChinMusic
01-03-2013, 23:15
Since I started this thread I have been in contact with Eddie (Packa inventor). We talked about doing a breathable cuben Packa as a prototype but he kinda talked me out of it.....for now. Eddie can use any Packa he wishes and chooses to wear the eVent model and sacrifice the 4-5 oz penalty.

Eddie was kind enough to send me a loaner sil version prior to a week-long trip I just had in Arkansas. I gotta say, I loved the product. I thought I had a nice rain jacket (Montbell Peak) and it is a nice jacket. It breaths OK when I'm not wearing a pack. But when I have a pack on the Montbell soaked me. The sil Packa, by being completely over my pack actually felt less clammy than the breathable Montbell. You just get incredible air flow with the loose fit and not having the pack straps holding your jacket tightly to your body. That said, my arms would get soaked quickly in the sil Packa. You just don't get any air flow around your arms. Other than wet arms the rest of me stayed dry. I loved being able to put on the Packa when the rains came and just slip it off (letting it just hang there) when the rains stopped. On cold, windy days I wore it as a wind-stopper and had lots of control with regards to temperature. With the way the front zipper is designed and the large pit zips, you can really dial in your comfort. The dang thing makes a pretty good pillow too.

Eddie likes the eVent version for its added breathability and more solid feel the the material. He says he just trusts it better and feels the weight penalty is worth it. I have not worn the eVent version but am about to get one. I feel the eVent material will solve the sweaty arms and perform better once temps rise a bit.

Anyone else got an eVent Packa?

BirdBrain
01-04-2013, 01:32
I have the regular silnylon version. I bought it because of this blog. Beyond the product (which I think is superior) is the seller. Eddie is a unique person. He deserves all the business he gets. For those on the fence, if all things are equal in your mind, buy from him. Trust me on this. He is a rare person.

Kerosene
01-04-2013, 13:16
I have an early eVent Packa prototype. As you note, this should address having your arms wet-out unless you're really exerting yourself.

While I'm a big fan of eVent over the various flavors of Gore-Tex, I'd be very interested in cutting out another 5 ounces with a Cuben fiber version. Once you get your base weight down, there aren't very many places left to cut out quarter-pounds.

ChinMusic
01-04-2013, 14:09
I have an early eVent Packa prototype. As you note, this should address having your arms wet-out unless you're really exerting yourself.

While I'm a big fan of eVent over the various flavors of Gore-Tex, I'd be very interested in cutting out another 5 ounces with a Cuben fiber version. Once you get your base weight down, there aren't very many places left to cut out quarter-pounds.
That is why I liked the idea of the breathable cuben Packa. It would def be under 10 oz. Eddie got a sample of the material and had some reservations regarding it. Right now a breathable cuben Packa would be VERY expensive as well. I think a breathable cuben Packa is in the cards at some point. It just won't be ready for prime time for my thru this season.

That leaves me with the choice of a sil, an eVent, or a regular cuben Packa. I feel, and this is just me, the sil or regular cuben will feel too clammy to me. Maybe I could live with it, I don't know. I only got to use the sil that one week under fairly cool conditions (30-45) and got soaked arms. I didn't think of it then but maybe I could put my arms thru the pit zips. The Packa design impressed the heck out of me. After just a few wearings I knew it would work for me on a thru.

I agree that the eVent version goes against my pattern of dropping pack weight. Eddie is weight conscious too but still chooses the eVent version over the sil or regular cuben for his personal use. This says a lot to me.

edit: I ordered a large breathable cuben jacket from ZPacks. Right now they only make a M and L. The L was just too dang small. There is no way I could have worn much clothing under it. Joe is in New Zealand right now and I am told they may be offering other sizes once he returns. The material seemed fine, maybe a bit "waxy".