PDA

View Full Version : SMD skyscape scout/trekker

mrakes02
10-27-2012, 15:26
Hello fellow hikers,
Does anyone have any feedback/opinions on the SMD Skyscape tents?

Furlough
10-27-2012, 15:58
I have the Scout. It is now my shelter of choice. I like it for it's weight savings compared to my other tents (REI 1/4 Dome, Coleman Kraz). For me at least and my experience to date there are some diffenerences to adjust to when using a single walled vs. a double walled shelter, primarily the condensation. With a single walled tent I find I have more issues with condensation than double walled tents. I have tried various pitches to increase air flow to help reduce the condensation. Over all not really a big deal, but folks tend to weigh in on this issue as more of a negative then I think it is, at least for me. I have a shammy in the tent to wipe down the condensation in the morning so I am not packing up a damp shelter. I find that placing my rain jacket over the foot end of my sleeping bag does away with any contact between bag and tent, ensuring my bag also does not get damp. I also found that I can increase the amount of space between my feet and the end of the tent by putting a stick under the foot end guy line, which lifts the end of the tent a couple of inches. I ordered mine without the optional poles and use my hiking poles, absolutely works without any issues with that option. I wish that both vestibules were made for access. That would make getting acces to what is stored in the non entry vestibule more user friendly.

Furlough

XrayDuke
10-28-2012, 14:04
I also have the Scout. It is a great tent that is easy to setup and use. I use my hiking poles and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up. I replaced my cross pole with the Pex pipe modification. Only had one night with condensation issues. There was a heavy fog with high winds so I had to set it up low to the ground. Most of the time I can set it up so there is plenty of air flow to help with condensation. My old tent weighted over 5 lbs. and the Scout weighs 2 lb. 6 oz. with stakes. I would have liked to have the Trekker but I got the Scout for the pre-release price of $90 and it was too good a deal to pass up.

mrakes02
10-29-2012, 20:16
Thank you for the replies, I think I 'm going to purchase the scout. I have been using the 2008 edition hubba which is absolutely bombproof, It's just a little bulky. Looking forward to trying something new. BTW I am 6' 3.5", do either of you think the length would be an issue for me?

XrayDuke
10-29-2012, 23:11
I'm 5'11" and have plenty of room with a regular Big Agnes inflatable pad. Also have room for a Golite Jam 50 in the tent. I keep my boots in the vestibule. It would be nice to have a zipper opposite the door to access the other vestibule from the inside.

mrakes02
11-02-2012, 20:29
Thanks you for the reply!

carpattack
11-03-2012, 21:24
I used the smd skyscape trekker on my thru hike this year and it was perfect. I seam sealed it before I left. Never had any leaks, rips, tears, etc. highly recommend!

mrakes02
11-06-2012, 18:34
Thank You carpattack

lukabrazi
11-18-2012, 09:50
I have a trekker. I have never had any leaking or condensation problems. It is relatively easy to set up. I have often worried that I will slip and put the tip of my hiking pole through the roof. I'm not a big fan of the little dowel sleeve hub. Also my trekking poles are twist lock which can make it a little difficult compared to setting this up with a flip lock.

lukabrazi
11-18-2012, 09:51
Should add that i am 6' 1" and have a comfortable amount of space an bring my pack an boots in with me.

mrakes02
11-24-2012, 12:59
thank you lukabrazi.

lukabrazi
12-19-2012, 14:01
Just wanted to mention that I am selling mine if your interested. Check out the selling used gear thread for details.