PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam Mail Drop

fatmatt
05-16-2005, 11:10
I have the address and such to make a mail drop at Fontana Dam, however I was wondering where exactly it is to be picked up once there. Is there an office or what? Thanks.

Peaks
05-16-2005, 16:45
Assuming that your mail drop is sent to the post office at Fontana Dam, then go into the "resort" community of Fontana Dam and go to the post office. As I recall, there is one building that has gift shop, convience store, laundrymat, and post office. Not that hard to find the post office in the village there.

fatmatt
05-17-2005, 11:09
Thanks, I wasn't sure because my map shows that as simply Fontana Village, and the Thru-Hikers Companion says shows the address as Fontana Dam. Again Thanks.

sliderule
06-05-2005, 19:10
Thanks, I wasn't sure because my map shows that as simply Fontana Village, and the Thru-Hikers Companion says shows the address as Fontana Dam. Again Thanks.
I have no knowledge of the mail drop specifics, but there is a visitor center at the dam itself.

grrickar
06-05-2005, 21:58
I'm not sure they would hold a package at the dam itself with security concerns and all, but Fontana Village would likely hold a drop for you as would the Hike Inn. We had left a drop with the owner there (Hike Inn), but it was something like $20 to have it brought to us at the dam Visitor Center. We arrived at the dam a day early and there were no vacancies, so we ended up staying at the Fontana 'Hilton'.

We did drop into the village for a cheeseburger and to buy a few items at the General Store. The story of Fontana Dam is quite interesting, so I'd spend some time looking into it. It played a major part in supplying power to the Alcoa aluminum plant to make allied aircraft in WWII.