PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington Dayhike?

TheYoungOne
10-28-2012, 10:48
Is it possible to day hike to the summit of Mt. Washington and back in one day or is it a multi day affair? What is the best approach on the AT, north or south?

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 10:53
you can do it in a day, start at pinkhman nothc take the tucks ravine trail up and down. its an all day affair, so bring layers and raingear, the weather can be dangerous this time of year, so be sure of the forecast before you leave, which you can get at pinkham notch.tucks has some steep spots, you can come in on the ammanoosuc trail from the west, but its a longer hike,tougher to do a one day(unless youre in prime climbing condition).

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 10:57
Short answer... yes. but there are dozens of ways to do it.

When are you thinking of doing this? There are many ways to get to Mt washington and to get to the AT in that area. Loop hike... out and back.. point to point hike.. Presidential traverse in a day...

very helpful map that has all of the trails around it.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountains-Waterproof-Trail-Map/dp/1890060232/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

HikerMom58
10-28-2012, 11:42
That is great info...
I lived in NH for 18 years but never stepped foot on the AT. I want to do the entire trail thru NH some day, soon. Thanks jakedatc!!!

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 12:14
I've done most of NH.. few short random sections i haven't done. I have not done a lot of the main Mt washington trails yet.. which I plan to do next summer. Huntingtons, lions head, ammanoosuc, great gulf, etc. If you have the fitness Presi in a day is a great hike. huge views almost the entire way. pick a great weather day with long summer daylight hours.. so much fun.

tdoczi
10-28-2012, 12:23
you can do it in a day, start at pinkhman nothc take the tucks ravine trail up and down. its an all day affair, so bring layers and raingear, the weather can be dangerous this time of year, so be sure of the forecast before you leave, which you can get at pinkham notch.tucks has some steep spots, you can come in on the ammanoosuc trail from the west, but its a longer hike,tougher to do a one day(unless youre in prime climbing condition).

ive never personally done either of them, so i'm mostly just repeating what might be nonsense ive heard from other people, but ive gotten the sense that the trails from the west side, like the amanoowhatsits are much easier than the pinkham notch side and this more than makes up for the slightly longer length.

also, you can always get transportation down the mountain once you reach the top.

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 12:29
I've done most of NH.. few short random sections i haven't done. I have not done a lot of the main Mt washington trails yet.. which I plan to do next summer. Huntingtons, lions head, ammanoosuc, great gulf, etc. If you have the fitness Presi in a day is a great hike. huge views almost the entire way. pick a great weather day with long summer daylight hours.. so much fun.

lions head and huntington ravine are very steep,ammanoosuc pretty easy but longer, great gulf is steeptoo. tucks is the best bet for a dayhike up and down, its got a few steep sections, but not too bad.

snifur
10-28-2012, 12:37
Just plan accordingly. I have been up and down Mt Washington and the surrounding peaks countless times though out the seasons and years. Each time I was surprised by the weather and conditions as they change rapidly and unexpectedly. But yes, it can be done in a full day hike. While YMMV and you need to adjust for it. Look at the trails and elevation profile for the trail you are considering. Know where your bail out points are and have a plan.

Cookerhiker
10-28-2012, 13:17
Is it possible to day hike to the summit of Mt. Washington and back in one day or is it a multi day affair? What is the best approach on the AT, north or south?

Yes - I did in once years go, hiking up the Boott Spur Trail. To restate the obvious but absolutely necessary: even if you start on a warm cloudless day, bring extra food, rain gear and warm clothes (including hat & gloves) with you.

MamaBear
10-28-2012, 13:35
Yes, it is possible to day hike Washington. If you're restricting your approach to only the AT, then you've got a lot of miles either way to hike. If you're willing to use any approach to Washington, then there are many, many ways to arrive at the summit, any of which are a good day hike, with approx. 4,000 ft. of elevation gain in roughly four miles, give or take a bit. The weather as stated can be unpredictable, and it is best to check the weather in advance and again the morning you leave, then take heed and prepare for anything, including turning around and waiting for a better day. Mt. Washington Observatory publishes the forecast, including for the higher summits around 5am each day: http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/forecast.php. This is also posted at Pinkham Notch and and relayed to the huts in the morning. Also, be aware that while it may be fall at the base of the mountain, it can be full-on winter conditions at the top. This is especially true at this time of year, and many people get surprised by this. Also worth mentioning is that the facilities at the top are seasonal and have already closed for the season. There is no refuge at the summit, you'll have to hike back down.

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 14:02
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00663_original.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=47855&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 14:09
Can also have days like this.. South side going down towards Lake of the clouds. 70's when not on top, views forever.

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 14:14
ive had great days and bad days. the great days are breathtaking, the bad days breathtaking too, but in a very different way

Moose2001
10-28-2012, 14:24
If you're thinking of doing it this year, winter season has already started in the Whites. Be prepared

imscotty
10-28-2012, 15:14
Yes, this is a very popular dayhike. Unless you have winter alpine experience I would wait until late summer to do it. My favorite route is Lions Head up, Tuckerman's down

oldbear
10-28-2012, 16:08
My favorite way to do is ( from Pinkham Notch ) go up Bootts Spur and down Lions Head
If you want to do part of the AT then head over to Lake of the Clouds before heading to summit
If the weather turns to crud when you finally get above the timberline aka a normal day on the Presidentials the Link is a fast and steep route from Bootts Spur to Hermit Lake

HikerMom58
10-28-2012, 18:09
Can also have days like this.. South side going down towards Lake of the clouds. 70's when not on top, views forever.

That is what I can't wait to see for myself.....love this!!

TheYoungOne
10-28-2012, 19:55
I am definately trying this in the summer, hopefully in 2013 if I have the time and I'm in shape.

I have been watching some hiking videos on youtube and this guy called Sintax77 is in Philadelphia area and drives to places like the Whites in VT and Shenandoah VA and does day hikes or 2 dayers. He leaves work early on a friday, drives to the location, sleeps in the car, do the hike, then drive home. This way I don't have to take vacation days, but still hike something different then the usual AT dayhikes in PA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OtggN3uOcg

Another Kevin
10-28-2012, 20:49
Just once in my life I'd like to descend Mount Washington by a method other than bailing out down Tuckerman. Whenever I've been up there, unforecast weather has blown it.

T.S.Kobzol
10-29-2012, 06:27
I was just up there yesterday. Took the Lions Head route up and down. It was a nice Fall day. The top portion of the hike featured 50mph wind and windshield in the 20s. ... and that was a good weather day.

Just pack accordingly. On the top most of my layers came out of the backpack. I wore wool long underwear, a Houdini, a greco rsinjacket and a down vest. A winter hat, neck gaiter, gloves and ski goggles we're used on occasions.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 06:35
-------------Amazing ^

T.S.Kobzol
10-29-2012, 06:52
Excuse the Android typos... Windshield=windchill and greco rsinjacket =gtex rainjacket.

I was just up there yesterday. Took the Lions Head route up and down. It was a nice Fall day. The top portion of the hike featured 50mph wind and windshield in the 20s. ... and that was a good weather day.

Just pack accordingly. On the top most of my layers came out of the backpack. I wore wool long underwear, a Houdini, a greco rsinjacket and a down vest. A winter hat, neck gaiter, gloves and ski goggles we're used on occasions.

Old Hiker
10-29-2012, 07:57
[QUOTE=T.S.Kobzol;1355181]Excuse the Android typos... Windshield=windchill and greco rsinjacket =gtex rainjacket.

That's no fun - I was trying to figure out what a Greco raisin jacket was !!!

Good luck, OP - listen to the people who have been there. Any word on whether Sandy is going to have a say in the severity of the weather?

hikerboy57
10-29-2012, 08:04
today and tomorrow shouldnt be too bad. forecast calls for 35-40 mph winds for tomorrow.

Driver8
10-29-2012, 10:50
The easiest way up is the Jewell Trail to the A.T. routing on Gulfside and the Trinity Heights Connector - I took it in June, the first time I made it to the top. Descending or ascending Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is very rough for 1 mile, with the rest being not too bad. Ammo's hard part is the mile between Lakes of the Clouds Hut, the trail's southern terminus at the Crawford Path/A.T., and Gem Pool, in which mile the trail traverses a 1560 foot rise or fall. There's a fair amount of scrambling in that mile, and it's arduous for all but the most fit, but the reward is several beautiful waterfalls. A side trip to the Gorge overlook on a small spur trail is very much worth the hundred yards and 75 foot fall and rise.

If you go on a wet day or one with recent heavy rains and you want to go up the west side, I recommend going up the Ammo trail - safer than descending - then down Jewell, with the A.T. in between. Jewell, including intermediate ups and downs, is reckoned by the White Mountain guide as having 4000' elevation gain in five miles from the USFS parking lot on Base Station Road. Ammo has fewer intermediate ups and downs, so it's reckoned at 3900' over its 4.6 miles, but it is much tougher. Some ppl park at the Base Station for the Cog Railway and take a side trail to Jewell or Ammo, which takes a couple hundred feet elevation gain and loss and maybe 0.7 off the trip. The views from both routes above treeline are amazing.

The Tuckerman Ravine Trail is a beaut. It also has magnificent views, especially as it ascends the upper headwall of the ravine. It is oftencombined with Lion Head Trail in a partial loop. I did that one in July - Lion Head's footing is much rougher in its steep sections, Tuckerman, which has a fearsome reputation, is a much better go, imo. I went up Tuck and down Lion and wish I had reversed that.

Boott Spur is longer and juts off of Tuck near Pinkham Notch. It is a rough, steep go - I had to turn about in summer 2011 on my first try, just didn't have the legs for it. I'm sure I'd make it up fine now, as I'm fitter than then. It has amazing views above treeline. It's probably, overall, a harder hike than Tuck or Lion Head.

There's lots of other routes up Mt. Washington, as noted, including the relatively fierce Huntington Ravine Trail, spurring off Tuckerman, and the awesome Great Gulf Trail from the northeast. If you expect to hike more than occasionally in the White Mountains, I highly recommend that you invest in the White Mountain Guide from the AMC - you can pick it up at big bookstores or at big outdoor retailers. It has detailed descriptions of pretty well all trails in the White Mountains and superb, detailed relief trail maps. I also recommend, if you intend to hike more of the 4000-footers, a very fine book called The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains by Steven D. Smith and Mike Dickerman. It has great detail on all 48 4K peaks in New Hampshire - their history, geology, views and trail descriptions. The bible of NH peakbaggers.

Driver8
10-29-2012, 11:00
PS: I've posted a bunch of pictures of the westside routes and of Tuckerman in my Panoramio album if you'd like to take a look - I went on nice view days.

Tuckerman hike starts at the bottom of this page - no pics of the mile between the top of headwall and the summit, as phone battery was low: http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?comment_page=1&photo_page=5

Jewell/A.T./Ammo starts with the last photo on this page: http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?comment_page=1&photo_page=9

I went up and down Ammo May 12, turning around at the Lakes hut due to high winds, with lots of waterfall pics starting here: http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?comment_page=1&photo_page=22

There are also pics from hikes I did of Lincoln, Lafayette and Moosilauke and of other spots in the Whites, if you like. It's beautiful country and tough hiking. A challenge and an adventure. :)

peakbagger
10-29-2012, 12:54
The major issue with most folks is the sustained elevation change going up and down. There really arent any long and gradual approaches so plan on the equivalant of walking up uneven steep stairs compared to walking up a steep slope. There is also an extended area of bolder fields above treeline. This can be hard on the feet for those not used to it. Even if you make it all the way up, going down can be real hard on the knees. Many first timers do climb it as a frist hik on the whites so it not impossible. I do usually recomend the hike from the West side of the mountain specifically amonuscu Ravein Trail and the Jewell trail. The two combined make a nice loop. Ammonusuc trail is flat at the begining and then at Gem pool it goes straight up as steep or steeper than a set of stairs. Eventually you end up at the AMC Lake of the Clouds hut and from there you can take a break and make sure you are all set to head up the summit cone. Even if you deicde to head down from Lakes, the views are still great.

jakedatc
10-29-2012, 16:32
peak gusts up to 122mph on top now ;) and probably still rising. Observers should have some fun with this one.

Slo-go'en
10-29-2012, 16:52
Getting a bit breezy down here in the valley too, and I'm kinda protected from the east wind.

bobqzzi
10-29-2012, 17:18
If you do it "in season" there is an option to take either the cog railway or the shuttle van down. Makes for a much easier day.

jakedatc
10-29-2012, 19:54
If you do it "in season" there is an option to take either the cog railway or the shuttle van down. Makes for a much easier day.

for the "list" people it does not count for NH48 etc etc if you don't go under own power :)

I mean in the summer you have 12-15hours of sunlight to do 9mi? doing ammonoosuc/jewell

Driver8
10-29-2012, 21:39
for the "list" people it does not count for NH48 etc etc if you don't go under own power :)

I mean in the summer you have 12-15hours of sunlight to do 9mi? doing ammonoosuc/jewell

If the OP's out hiking, whether it's for 5 miles in a day or 50, that's great. No need to push one over the other - to each his or her own, no?

jakedatc
10-29-2012, 22:01
I was saying... that for the NH48 list it does not count if you take the train or auto road down. That could be enough motivation to get someone to do the whole loop.

In the summer there is a good amount of daylight so you can take your time and do the whole loop without much pressure. that is about as anti-fast as i get.

T.S.Kobzol
10-30-2012, 05:46
Last Sunday the train was still running but the shops we're all boarded up and appeared closed for the season. There was no place to hide for the.train tourists. I stayed on the top for less than 10 minutes before heading back down. I go slow, trying to enjoy the hike. I started at 9 am and reached the peak at 1pm.going down wasn't really much faster. I did take a few food and.tea breaks on the way down and arrived back at my car around 5pm as it was getting dark.

TheYoungOne
11-07-2012, 12:09

I looked at that as an option. I know its cheating, but if I'm behind schedule on the ascent to the summit or I'm having a tough time physically or with foul weather, I may bail on the hike back down. I still need to drive 8 hours to get back home, if I decide not to spend another night in NH.

The more I look at it the more I'm certain that I'm only going to attempt it in July or August. Even in those peak summer months the weather looks like it can turn brutal.

oldbear
11-07-2012, 12:39
The more I look at it the more I'm certain that I'm only going to attempt it in July or August. Even in those peak summer months the weather looks like it can turn brutal.[/QUOTE]
If you do decide to climb Mt Washington during those months make sure that you start early and get below timberline by 2:00PM bc you haven't lived until you've been caught above timberline in an afternoon T storm

TheYoungOne
11-07-2012, 15:14
The more I look at it the more I'm certain that I'm only going to attempt it in July or August. Even in those peak summer months the weather looks like it can turn brutal.
If you do decide to climb Mt Washington during those months make sure that you start early and get below timberline by 2:00PM bc you haven't lived until you've been caught above timberline in an afternoon T storm[/QUOTE]

Here is a youtube video (Part #2) of a hike to the summit by a group of big football player sized guys hiking the last two days in May. They ran into snow, hail, high wind and driving rain. Even this big guys took the shuttle back down, leaving some of their stuff at the Hermit Lake shelter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLGW73VhiDo&feature=fvwrel

Call me crazy but that looks like fun.