PDA

View Full Version : Gear Critique ...

88BlueGT
10-28-2012, 14:38
Okay, I'm sitting around on this Sunday afternoon waiting for this big storm so I decided to throw together a gear list. I'm open to any and all suggestions so feel free to critique the hell out of this. I have gotten to a point where I PERSONALLY think I'm not UL, but I would consider myself a minimalist (not too much extra other than the necessities). Most of my gear is purchased fresh (within the last year or two) so big items will not be replaced for a while.

Also, this is a winter gear list. My summer list won't change much, just a change in clothes and sleeping bag (I use a 40* UL Down Quilt during summer months). Every piece of gear is included in this list with the exception of winter clothes as I am still putting together a complete package. It is the one section that really needs attention.

So,................Fire away!

SLEEP SYSTEM
G.
OZ.
LB

TARPTENT RAINBOW

THERMAREST Z-LITE SLEEPING PAD (SHORT)

MARMOT HELIUM 15* SLEEPING BAG W/ GRANITE GEAR STUFF SACK

TOTAL

CARRY SYTEM

ULA CIRCUIT PACK W/ BLADDER & ALUMINUM STAY

TOTAL

WATER SYSTEM

MSR HYPERFLOW WATER FILTER W/ CARRY CASE

EVERNEW 2L WATER BLADDER

2 GATORADE BOTTLES

TOTAL

COOKING & FOOD SYSTEM

PEPSI CAN STOVE

PRIMER LID

POT STAND (WIRE)

GSI ALUMINUM COOK SET (1.0L, WITH LID/PAN)

^^^ MESH SACK

MEASURING PEN

SEA 2 SUMMIT SIL NYLON SACK (M) - FOOD

WINDSCREEN

50FT BEAR BAG ROPE

GSI FOLD UP PLATE

POT HANDLE

TOTAL

RAIN SYSTEM

THE PACKA RAIN JACKET & PACK COVER (DOUBLES AS PILLOW)

EQUINOX RAIN CHAPS

TOTAL

CLOTHING

Starter Dri-Star Underarmor/Thermal

SmartWool Midcut Socks (extra)

SEA 2 SUMMIT DRY SACK

TOTAL

MISC.

BANDANA (3)

FIRST AID KIT

FIXED BLADE

PLASTIC BAG - GARBAGE

GOSSAMER GEAR SIT PAD

HUSKEY MINI MULTI-TOOL

TOTAL

GRAND TOTAL

**BASE WEIGHT

**Does NOT include on body

88BlueGT
10-28-2012, 14:41
EDIT: It seems that there are some incorrect figures on here. Ex: my clothes bag, not 1.21 but 2.28. The chart is 99% accurate as far as I can see so +/- .25lb on total weight.

Looking for any suggestions, comments, etc. Feel free guys.

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 15:18
going to a snowpeak/stoic/evernew .7 or .9L Ti Pot would cut that weight in half. (the stoic 700 might still be on sale at backcountry)

if you are doing freezer bag cooking you can skip the plate. measuring pen?

use one of the bandanas for a pot holder.

Drop the stuff sack for your sleeping bag and just stuff it into the bottom of your trash bag (trash compactor bags are tougher and still light). same with clothes.. you don't have many extra clothes.. which is good.. so just put them with the sleeping bag. or use a gallon zip bag if you want them separated.

unless it is part of your pack's backpad skip the sit pad.

sawyer squeeze is half the weight of the pump and would multipurpose your 2L evernew bottle. (would still be able to have 4L capacity.. just 2L would be "dirty" until you filtered it into the gatorade bottles.

Rocket Jones
10-28-2012, 16:21
For colder temps you want more sleeping pad. I'd recommend a length of blue foam pad on top of the Z-Lite, or check out Gossamer Gear's Thinlight pads.

88BlueGT
10-28-2012, 16:44
going to a snowpeak/stoic/evernew .7 or .9L Ti Pot would cut that weight in half. (the stoic 700 might still be on sale at backcountry)

if you are doing freezer bag cooking you can skip the plate. measuring pen?
-It's a hollow pen tube with marks for 1 & 2 cups of water. I know there are other options such as marking the pot but I prefer this since my pot is aluminum and coated.

Drop the stuff sack for your sleeping bag and just stuff it into the bottom of your trash bag (trash compactor bags are tougher and still light). same with clothes.. you don't have many extra clothes.. which is good.. so just put them with the sleeping bag. or use a gallon zip bag if you want them separated.
- I do prefer the compression sack for my bag. I have 'stuffed' it into the bottom of my bag before but I have been stuffing my tent recently and stuffing both seems to get a bit out of hand if that makes sense.

unless it is part of your pack's backpad skip the sit pad.
- I do use this as pack of my backpad for extra support. And that thing FOR ME, is worth its weight in GOLD. I also use this under my torso when sleeping.

sawyer squeeze is half the weight of the pump and would multipurpose your 2L evernew bottle. (would still be able to have 4L capacity.. just 2L would be "dirty" until you filtered it into the gatorade bottles.
- that's something to definitely consider and I will definitely look into this. Great suggestion. I could probably cut a pound off my pack with that. Thank you!

88BlueGT
10-28-2012, 16:45
- what do you mean use it as a pot holder? With my setup I don't think this is possible. The 'grip' for the pot holder is on the side of the pot/pan.

88BlueGT
10-28-2012, 16:47
For colder temps you want more sleeping pad. I'd recommend a length of blue foam pad on top of the Z-Lite, or check out Gossamer Gear's Thinlight pads.

Thank you for the suggestion. I use my sit pad under my torso for extra padding and for its extra R value. With the Helium bag I typically end up stripping down and opening up the bag, I tend to get pretty hot in that thing. I don't do too much hiking under 20*.

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 17:08
oh so you have a water bladder on top of the evernew and gatorades? (i wasnt sure what "bladder" meant with the pack or i would have said ditch that)

my "water setup" is Squeeze, 1.5L evernew, dipping cup, 2x 1L smartwater (they fit my pack better than gatorade) = 8oz

i'm not sure what GSI pot you have or what lifting you have to do. if you just need to pour water just wrap the bandana around the pot and pour. a few thicknesses of bandana should keep you ok. 2oz for such a unitasker seems unnecessary.

here is my fall list http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9476 Gear grams is great because you can make a master list of all of your gear.. then make mini lists for summer.. fall.. trip X so you can compare.

Starchild
10-28-2012, 17:11
If you are looking not to spend a lot on Ti cookware you could look for the k-mart grease pot at about 4.7 oz (Al) at about $8

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 17:36
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ti-kettle-700ml is what i have now.. i also have a snowpeak 1.4L if i expect to actually cook in my pot.

Hosaphone
10-28-2012, 21:02
ULA CIRCUIT PACK W/ BLADDER & ALUMINUM STAY 1036 37

Ditch the bladder pouch. Consider ditching the stay as well. I find it unnecessary for the weight I carry, but it doesn't weigh a lot so if it makes a big difference to you then keep it of course.

MSR HYPERFLOW WATER FILTER W/ CARRY CASE 277 9.89

Sawyer Squeeze if you want a filter (3oz, ~$50-60). Aqua Mira otherwise. 10oz is outrageous, and both other options are very affordable.

2 GATORADE BOTTLES 102 3.64

Depends where you're hiking of course, but I would say ditch one of these. 2L bladder plus 1L bottle is a pretty good capacity (though I prefer having a 3L bladder + 1L bottle for a 4L total capacity). Might be different on the PCT, but on the east coast you don't really need/want to carry more than 1L at a time. Just take 1 bottle and fill it up when you come across water sources, and then tank up the 2L bladder when you're heading to camp or across a long dry stretch.

GSI ALUMINUM COOK SET (1.0L, WITH LID/PAN) 287 10.25
GSI FOLD UP PLATE 45 0.86
POT HANDLE 80 2.86
MEASURING PEN 26 0.92

Outrageous amount of weight. I carry one 900ml pot. It weighs 4oz. Not much need to have exact measurements, of stuff, either. If it really concerns you, just use your 1L gatorade bottle to estimate. 1L is about 4 cups, so if you need 2 cups you pour out half the bottle.

SmartWool Midcut Socks (extra) 36 1.28

Consider a 3rd pair of socks. That lets you keep a clean pair of sleeping socks, and have 2 for hiking in so you can wash one and wear one, etc.

BANDANA (3) 90 3.2

Do you really need 3?

Consider getting a pack towel. They weigh a bit more, but a good pack towel can absorb SOOOO much more water than a bandana because it can be wrung out much more efficiently. They can absorb as much water as they need to because you can dry, wring, dry, wring, etc. Once a bandana becomes saturated it's not much good even after it's been wrung out. I have a TarpTent Rainbow as well, and condensation tends to be a pain. I view a real towel / shamwow type thing as a necessity for an enclosed single walled shelter.

FIRST AID KIT 188 6.7

Contents? Seems kind of heavy.

FIXED BLADE 196 7

Very heavy. I don't think you really need a fixed blade unless you're using a wood stove. I've never been one of the "razor blade" crowd and I understand your desire for a real blade. You don't "need" it, but if you really want a fixed blade check out Mora knives. You can get a full tang Mora with 4" blade that weighs 3oz (including sheath) for $20. There's a 2" blade version that only weighs 1oz with sheath.

jakedatc
10-28-2012, 21:32
having paid attention i skipped a few of those.. he likes his big knife and he likes bandanas so i decided not to argue the point ;)

Hosaphone
10-28-2012, 22:25
Just really no reason to have such a heavy knife, though, unless you want to use it as a machete or hatchet. A 3oz Mora knife will take care of any survival/bushcrafting needs. If it's more of a self defense item, pepper spray would likely be a better option.

Mpd1690
10-29-2012, 10:22
I use a fixed blade as well. Mine is not nearly as heavy though. I use a sub 3" cutting edge knife. In usual backpacking situations, there really is not much that a smaller knife cannot do that a larger blade can. Just make sure you stick with a full tang. I use a convex Blind Horse Long Trail with kydex sheath for reference.

colorado_rob
10-29-2012, 12:39
I have, and have used extensively, both the Sawyer Squeeze and the MSR Hyperflow.

Ignoring the weight difference (really only 2-3 oz when you include what you need for the Sawyer), I much prefer the Sawyer. The hyperflow is difficult to backflush in the field when it clogs (and it will). Not even easy to backflush in a sink. the Sawyer is much easier. Trivial and very fast in a sink (like in a hostel or hotel room).

The hyperflow is an amazingly fast filter, but if you choose this one, make sure you are an expert at back flushing it. I am not, though I've tried to be. And make sure you don't let it freeze (keep it inside your tent at night in the spring and fall). This is true of most filters, but I think the hyperflow is, er, hyper sensitive to freezing.

I also agree on the too-heavy cook stuff.

Bucho
11-02-2012, 21:13
What do you think of the MSR hyperflow?