PDA

View Full Version : Just thought you should know

sharper8
10-28-2012, 20:28
I just had a meeting with my boss and he said he would definatly hold my manger spot at chick-fil-a for me through my thru hike!!!!!

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 20:29
he puts you in a manger?

Mountain Mike
10-28-2012, 20:30
Good news!

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 20:31
so when you starting?

sharper8
10-28-2012, 20:34
so when you starting?
Mid february

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 20:47
Mid february
cool.
very cool.
cold.

sharper8
10-28-2012, 20:49
cool.
very cool.
cold.
Do you know whats cooler than cool . . .

Ice cold

Rasty
10-28-2012, 20:51
Your only punishment when you get back is you have to work every Sunday chicfilet is open.:D

sharper8
10-28-2012, 20:53
Your only punishment when you get back is you have to work every Sunday chicfilet is open.:D
Yep Sundays from 5am to 11:00 pm cooking chicken all day long

Rasty
10-28-2012, 21:24
Yep Sundays from 5am to 11:00 pm cooking chicken all day long

It would be the quietest shift all week!

Astro
10-28-2012, 21:27
Awesome for you!!! And once again Chick-fil-a shows they are a great company.

Gray Blazer
10-28-2012, 21:28
I'm still waiting for the punchline. :-?

hikerboy57
10-28-2012, 21:38
I'm still waiting for the punchline. :-?

doesnt matter what you call hm he aint coming

Sailing_Faith
10-28-2012, 21:39
Congratulations!

johnnybgood
10-28-2012, 21:42
doesnt matter what you call hm he aint coming

...that dog don't hunt.

WingedMonkey
10-28-2012, 22:03

Yeah...where else could you work a frier AND be a manager at 20?

Mountain Mike
10-28-2012, 22:14

and your point is? Better change your tag line if you want to be so negative all the time. Oh BTY check your spelling.

Rasty
10-28-2012, 22:19

I was a manager at twenty. Food service is a profession where results are the only thing that matters. Age, degrees, race, gender are all b.s. :D

Train Wreck
10-28-2012, 22:28

Would you rather work for a company that won't accommodate leave requests and doesn't believe in promotions based on merit?

WingedMonkey
10-28-2012, 22:31
Not much difference between them and Scientology.
The are both cults.

:)

Thirsty DPD
10-28-2012, 22:36
and your point is? Better change your tag line if you want to be so negative all the time. Oh BTY check your spelling.

You hit that nail on the head.

Another Kevin
10-28-2012, 22:39
WingedMonkey: Scientology? No, that's a different company. They used to do a lot of electric power arbitrage. N. Ron Hubbard.

sharper8
10-30-2012, 15:17
You guys are right I do work a fryer sometimes but I think workng a fryer is a worthy sacrifice if it allows me to hike

Rasty
10-30-2012, 15:28
You guys are right I do work a fryer sometimes but I think workng a fryer is a worthy sacrifice if it allows me to hike

Your Twenty and already in management. Stick with it and at thirty you'll make more then most other "professions" and won't have $80 to $100k in student loan debt sucking the life out of you. What does a Chic Filet General Manager make? If it's like McDonalds it's around $80K and a District Manager is around $120K. Not bad!

The "professional" degree jobs are easily outsourced. Just ask any computer tech or banking employee. McDonalds has never done any major reductions of staff in it's history. Not many jobs can say this.

Or become a plumber. They can make more then doctors after student loans and insurance.

Rocket Jones
10-30-2012, 15:28

You think rightly, methinks.

Do what you gotta do, ignore the negativity, and enjoy your hike.

liberty lover
10-30-2012, 16:17
I will purchase a spicy chicken sandwich and waffle fries to celebrate this great news.

gizzy bear
10-30-2012, 16:26

congrats!!! and ignore the azzholes around here... i don't care if you shovel ****...and neither should any of the others on here...it would be interesting to know some of the professions of those criticizing... good luck to you on your hike!!! :D

Train Wreck
10-30-2012, 16:50
congrats!!! and ignore the azzholes around here... i don't care if you shovel ****...and neither should any of the others on here...it would be interesting to know some of the professions of those criticizing... good luck to you on your hike!!! :D

Just some more embittered/ burnt out "professionals"

hypnolobster
10-30-2012, 16:53
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana

Ignored warnings get dancing bananas - Mags :D

Feral Bill
10-30-2012, 16:57
Politics, even those I agree with, are way off topic here. Let's be happy for a fellow hiker.

fiveonomo
10-30-2012, 20:05
Congrats on being able to do the hike! Ignore negative comments, be proud of the job you have. If you are a janitor than you should try to be the best janitor that ever was. Already in management at 20, you are heading in the right direction. Good luck my friend.

hypnolobster
10-30-2012, 20:06
Politics, even those I agree with, are way off topic here. Let's be happy for a fellow hiker.

True, completely true.

Ignore me :) (and bask in my jealousy. I have no chance of getting 5 months off)

Biggie Master
10-30-2012, 20:20
I was a manager at twenty. Food service is a profession where results are the only thing that matters. Age, degrees, race, gender are all b.s. :D

+1 ... Imagine the thought of results + integrity (in combination) as the measure of an employee's value and "promotability".

Congrats Sharper8! I hope you have the time of your life on the trail.

sharper8
10-30-2012, 23:54
I will tell you all this, I know the controversy in the media has been overwhelming for Chick-fil-a but ask yourself this, Has anyone you know of any race, creed, religion, sexual preference/ orientation ever been denied service at one of our restaurants? I am personally seeking my own Cfa restaurant hopefully I will have one near the A.T. so I can offer a thru hiker special haha but I am very excited about my hike it is a once in a life time opportunity for me. I have worked very hard to be where I am with my life and Career. I am starting early but I hope to see all of you on the trail . . . who knows one of you white blaze members might help me get my trail name . . . anyway happy hiking and really hike your own hike. . . no one else knows you like you do and know one else has to live with the regret of your life decisions

Train Wreck
10-31-2012, 00:14
I will tell you all this, I know the controversy in the media has been overwhelming for Chick-fil-a but ask yourself this, Has anyone you know of any race, creed, religion, sexual preference/ orientation ever been denied service at one of our restaurants? I am personally seeking my own Cfa restaurant hopefully I will have one near the A.T. so I can offer a thru hiker special haha but I am very excited about my hike it is a once in a life time opportunity for me. I have worked very hard to be where I am with my life and Career. I am starting early but I hope to see all of you on the trail . . . who knows one of you white blaze members might help me get my trail name . . . anyway happy hiking and really hike your own hike. . . no one else knows you like you do and know one else has to live with the regret of your life decisions

You have a great attitude, and a good dose of maturity, too. Sorry I can't say that for everyone who replied to your post. Keep up posted on your progress with your hike!

sharper8
10-31-2012, 00:19
You have a great attitude, and a good dose of maturity, too. Sorry I can't say that for everyone who replied to your post. Keep up posted on your progress with your hike!
Train wreck I will be posting a few things about my gear list soon please give me some feed back and be critical, i'd rather be embarrassed on white blaze than freeze my butt off 500 miles from home

turtle fast
10-31-2012, 00:29
Just remember that in Feb it gets COLD in them hills! Hopefully you can dehydrate some chicken sandwiches for the trail. :) You could get the hiker name "trail chicken" or "chicken sandwich" for those things.

Mountain Mike
10-31-2012, 00:42
I think your trail name should start as "The Manager" until one is earned on the trail.

turtle fast
10-31-2012, 00:56
"Eat more chicken" would be a nice trail name

Drala Hiker
10-31-2012, 02:02
By the time you finish the AT working at Chik Fila will not be on your mind - it would seem like going to prison (minimum security). Follow what your soul wants at that time and don't give it short change.....

Dr. Professor
10-31-2012, 07:17
Trail name should be Manger....

trapper
10-31-2012, 07:46
winged monkey....why are you always so negative? that's the reason most(or at least i) of us come here to escape the negativity of people trying to pull you down into there lonely exsistance. i don't think we need that here...we can get it many other places....imo

Gray Blazer
10-31-2012, 07:51
Chick-filet a cult? LOL
I used to work at Domino's in the early 70's. I quit and went to school at UF. What a mistake. All my friends at Domino's are millionaires now.

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 08:21
that's the reason most(or at least i) of us come here to escape the negativity of people trying to pull you down into there lonely exsistance.

You come here to escape?

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 08:26
There are weekly bashing on these threads about Walmart. Many discussions about the health consequences of McDonald's food.
Even REI is subject to criticism on a regular basis.

What makes this particular corporation your sacred cow folks?

Gray Blazer
10-31-2012, 08:28

HaHa. Sacred cow. I get it.

Why do you ask?

Jeepocachers
10-31-2012, 08:30
I just had a meeting with my boss and he said he would definatly hold my manger spot at chick-fil-a for me through my thru hike!!!!!

Business is Business, and although your boss is probably a wonderful person, I'd be checking in periodically to make sure he/she remembers who you are. I'd be thrilled at this news too, but just keep on top of things while your gone if you truely want this job.

My daughter is 19, and thrilled to death that her boss at Chick fil a made her a manager. She took a week off this past summer to spend with her family, and when she returned, they cut her hours in half for two weeks straight because they rearranged the schedule to suit the business.

OzJacko
10-31-2012, 08:46
I'm impressed that at 20 he's planned going back to work after the trail.
That shows a level head.
Fast food stores teach excellent customer service skills. You can go a long way and in many directions with that.
I'm really wondering how far down the trail he is before he has an uncontrollable urge to eat chicken.....probably about 150 miles further than the rest of us.:)

trapper
10-31-2012, 12:35
There are weekly bashing on these threads about Walmart. Many discussions about the health consequences of McDonald's food.

What makes this particular corporation your sacred cow folks?your not bashing the corp. your bashing the poster...yes i come here to escape negative people like yourself....

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 12:55
[QUOTE=trapper;1356344yes i come here to escape negative people like yourself....[/QUOTE]

You real life must suck, I'm sorry. Maybe you should go into the woods.

JaxHiker
10-31-2012, 13:01
I will purchase a spicy chicken sandwich and waffle fries to celebrate this great news.

I'd do this too... If they'd bring back the grilled spicy chicken. :mad:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mags
10-31-2012, 13:26

Great. You are a smart guy. You like to argue. We get it.

But, unless this has anything to do with congratulating a person on his good fortune...time to end it. You can argue all you want via PMing however. :)

That goes for anyone else after this thread too. :)

max patch
10-31-2012, 13:35
Congrats on the upcoming hike, and congrats on your employer keeping your job open. I don't eat a lot of fast food, but when I do its CFA more often than not.

Train Wreck
10-31-2012, 14:02
Good! Back to more important matters. You mentioned needing a trail name. How about Chicken Legs?

Prime Time
10-31-2012, 14:16
Sharper8, I spent my entire career in the restaurant industry and I can spot right off why your boss said he would hold a spot for you while you pursued your dream. With your attitude and proud defense of the great industry and company that you work for, I would have loved to have had you as one of my restaurant managers also. I'll be thru hiking next year also, leaving March 27. Enjoy your hike, Sharer8 and somehow I hope I run into you out there!!! Good luck with your career also.

Drybones
10-31-2012, 15:34

I think that tag line may explain what his problem is.

sharper8
10-31-2012, 15:35
Yall are awesome and encouraging, I hope to see some of you on the trail, ill bring sandwhich coupons for those of you who i remember

Drybones
10-31-2012, 15:43

Your working for a great company, I'd be proud to work for Chic-fil-a, dont let one a$$hole in this group discourage you, have a great hike!