PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Highlite on the CT

BensMusicHiker
10-28-2012, 22:04
I just acquired a WM Highlite which is a 35 degree rated bag, a bit less than the suggested 20 degree bag i see most people talking about for the trail. I am typically a warm sleeper and plan on brining a light set of base layers to sleep in. Was curious if this will be a bad choice on the CT. Its just such an amazing bag with a total weight coming in at around 17oz. Thought'd id get a few thoughts on it. thanks a million in advance

meant to add that i will be leaving july 10th

RodentWhisperer
10-28-2012, 23:02
The bag's usefulness would probably not depend so much on a recommendation than on your faith in temperature ratings. WM says, on its website, that its temperature ratings are only rough estimates. It's always wise, IMO, to rely more on how well you know your body. If you've proven yourself to be a warm sleeper by, say, sleeping in your 35 degree bag comfortably, through a night where it got down into the 30s, while wearing a base layer and fleece cap, then it would make sense to believe in the rating.

Personally, I question any/all manufacturers' ratings. I've a little more faith in the European temperature ratings (since the system is standardized/regulated), but still have my suspicions.

My own experience? I took my North Face 35 degree down bag to Isle Royale NP, dealt with overnight lows that according to the weather almanac never got below 42... And still wore all my clothes and my rainwear to bed... and still felt cold. Now I use a Rab Neutrino (UK made, comfort rated to 25 degrees), and have slept in it through a night in Indian Peaks that dipped into the mid 30s-- wearing my lightest base layer and fleece cap-- and felt cozy. I think I know what I'll need when I hit the CT!

Tundra
10-29-2012, 00:02
[QUOTE=BensMusicHiker;1355092]I just acquired a WM Highlite which is a 35 degree rated bag, a bit less than the suggested 20 degree bag i see most people talking about for the trail. I am typically a warm sleeper and plan on brining a light set of base layers to sleep in. Was curious if this will be a bad choice on the CT. Its just such an amazing bag with a total weight coming in at around 17oz. Thought'd id get a few thoughts on it. thanks a million in advance

meant to add that i will be leaving july 10th[/QUOTE

I love my WM Highlite. Use a silk bag liner to help keep the bag clean and it also will add somewhere around 5-10 degrees.

Hole-In-The-Hat
10-29-2012, 00:14
My CT hiking has been with a 32-degree Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32. I had a couple of nights that were in the low 30's that I felt cool, but not cold. I also seem to sleep relatively warm. I have found, though, that this bag didn't have much "overfill" - so with use, it lost a little loft. This year I added 3 ounces of down to it to get the loft back up before doing the John Muir Trail...

Dogwood
10-29-2012, 00:58
LOL I have had three WM Highlite Long bags. I know that the 17 oz and stuffed size is SO VERY TEMPTING to want to push the bag's limits which is exactly what I did. First, I know you'll get some different opinions about sleeping bags but WM, IMHO, temperature rates there bags either conservatively or balls on accurate. And, WM did this long before EN temp bag ratings.

That said, this is a UL minimalist 35 * down bag. Weighing so little, this bag acheives it's accurate temp rating not by containing oodles of down but by using some of the highest quality down available and minimizing the air within it that your body needs to heat. That is, it's a rather restictive bag in it's dimensions especially in the shoulders and girth. Make sure those bag measurements agree with your body size, sleeping style, and your anticipated sleep wear, etc. It's quite possible, attempting to sleep in a puffy down jacket for example in this bag will compress the down of the jacket and the bag leaving you colder than you think.

Ok here's what I do To extend the usefulness of this bag. I used a Cocoon mummy silk liner, thermal baselayers(Smartwool 250 wt long sleeved 1/4 zip top, Patagonia Cap 1 bottoms), Smartwool 1/4 ankle socks, Goosefeet Down Booties, Turtle Fur alpaca beanie, and nylon running gloves when sleeping. I typically sleep cowboy style under the stars or under a tarp. I'll also sometimes pair this bag with a UL WR 6 oz bivy such as made by MLD which adds about another 6-7* of warmth. If you will be in an enclosed shelter(tent?) add about another 8 * of warmth. I just finished thruing the CT on Oct 17 but went with a 20* GoLite 3-season down quilt and added a Cocoon silk liner near the end of the trek becuase it was getting COLD(a few nights hit the mid teens). That's Oct though. Some would say you can't hike the CT in Oct. I did get the really nasty brutally COLD weather to hold off this yr though. I typically use a NeoAir Shortie which is what I used on this thru. I added a 1/4 " closed cell foam pad from ProLite under that as a groundcloth(2 1/2 ozs) and for a bit more cushion but more so for the insulation. I got lightly(less than 4 inches) snowed on 3 times while caught at higher elevations.

The bottom line is, IF you are cowboying or tarping with that bag in July/Aug, not in a tent on the CT occassionaly above 11,000 ft you would be slightly pushing it IMO. You might want to think about how you can sleep warmer! You did say you are a warm sleeper though. Doable though, maybe with a couple of cold nights.

BensMusicHiker
10-29-2012, 17:34
i am hoping to be using a Tarptent Contrail on the CT along with a silk liner. I have a nice silk base layer so i am hoping to stay warm the majority of the time. I got a steal on the bag * like new for only 100 bucks* so i could not pass it up!

colorado_rob
10-29-2012, 17:48
One thing you don't say is the direction you're going. If starting in Durango and heading northwest, I think you're pushing it a tad with a 35 deg bag, even though I agree, WM rates their bags conservatively. You'll most likely be in and around snow in early-mid July in the San Juans. If, on the other hand, you start at Waterton canyon (essentially Denver) and head southwest, you'll have a couple/few more weeks of melting and warming before you hit the higher elevations.

You can of course "time" your days in July to try to sleep generally lower, which helps tremendously (figure about 4 degrees warmer per 1000' less elevation, if you avoid closed valleys).

I've backpacked in Colorado on the order, I bet, of 600 nights ( a guess, 20 nights/year for 30 years), many of which are along or near the CO trail. I get by, sometimes barely, with my MWH phantom 32 from mid-July to early September, then use a 20 degree WM bag both before and after that time frame.

RodentWhisperer
10-29-2012, 19:21
I got a steal on the bag * like new for only 100 bucks* so i could not pass it up!

Lucky! :-)

BensMusicHiker
10-29-2012, 19:23
i will be heading from denver to durango!

trapper
10-30-2012, 07:49
The bag's usefulness would probably not depend so much on a recommendation than on your faith in temperature ratings. WM says, on its website, that its temperature ratings are only rough estimates. It's always wise, IMO, to rely more on how well you know your body. If you've proven yourself to be a warm sleeper by, say, sleeping in your 35 degree bag comfortably, through a night where it got down into the 30s, while wearing a base layer and fleece cap, then it would make sense to believe in the rating.

Personally, I question any/all manufacturers' ratings. I've a little more faith in the European temperature ratings (since the system is standardized/regulated), but still have my suspicions.

My own experience? I took my North Face 35 degree down bag to Isle Royale NP, dealt with overnight lows that according to the weather almanac never got below 42... And still wore all my clothes and my rainwear to bed... and still felt cold. Now I use a Rab Neutrino (UK made, comfort rated to 25 degrees), and have slept in it through a night in Indian Peaks that dipped into the mid 30s-- wearing my thlightest base layer and fleece cap-- and felt cozy. I think I know what I'll need when I hit the CT!there is a huge difference in a NF and WM bags...no comparison at all in my opinion. WM temp ratings are spot on for average sleepers

Kerosene
10-30-2012, 09:16
I would also agree that you'll be pushing the limits with a WM HighLite on the CDT in July, at least in the higher elevations. In addition to Dogwood's comment about the lightest weight down, this is a very tight-fitting bag that requires you to be perfectly snugged up to achieve it's rating. I am a warm sleeper also. It took me a while to warm up in northern Jersey when the temp dropped into the forties, but with long underwear I eventually got toasty. If I were in the high mountains then I'd bring my WM UltraLite for sure, adding about 10 ounces to my pack weight (although newer ones may be heavier: my UltraLite is 26 oz., and my HighLite is 16).

RodentWhisperer
10-30-2012, 09:21
there is a huge difference in a NF and WM bags...no comparison at all in my opinion. WM temp ratings are spot on for average sleepers

The reason I question the US ratings (and bear in mind I've no experience with WM stuff) is that, often, manufacturers give the lowest temperature at which the bag can stave off hypothermia-- in other words, the coldest it can be before you start to freeze within the bag.

trapper
10-30-2012, 10:42
[QUOTE=RodentWhisperer;1355732]The reason I question the US ratings (and bear in mind I've no experienc with WM stuff) is that, often, manufacturers give the lowest temperature at which the bag can stave off hypothermia-- in other words, the coldest it can be before you start to freeze within the bag.[/QUOTE if i were to trust a temp rating it would be WM...you defiantly get what you pay for in this case

trapper
10-30-2012, 10:44
also a bag is only as good as what's underneath you

BensMusicHiker
10-30-2012, 17:28
the bag fits me like a glove i absolutely love its fit! I am 5 11 and about 155 pounds, I am going to test it out this weekend via the setup i will be taking. its been in the low 30s at night here so i think i will get a pretty good idea what i can handle. Also i would kill for a ultralight just dont have that kinda cash managed to snag this one for 100 bucks so....

trapper
10-30-2012, 18:34
wow 100 bucks! you stole it. what pad are you using? ps if you want your money back ill take it!

BensMusicHiker
10-30-2012, 20:09
If i can sell it (with a tab bit of a profit :i ) and can scrounge up some loose change (lots of loose change) i may try to snag WM Ultralite so you may see if up for sale soon but not real sure yet!

BensMusicHiker
10-30-2012, 20:11
I have a NeoAir Xlite and a POE Elite AC as well as a RidgeRest and Zlite So it just depends on how i am feeling.... may go with a Air Pad for my CT trip

RodentWhisperer
10-30-2012, 20:20
If i can sell it (with a tab bit of a profit :i ) and can scrounge up some loose change (lots of loose change) i may try to snag WM Ultralite so you may see if up for sale soon but not real sure yet!

Don't sell it here-- we know how much you paid for it! :-) Go to BPL. It would sell in an hour!

trapper
10-30-2012, 21:33
i have an xlite also..i was wondering if anyone has had them in the cold yet? what are they good to. temp rating for average sleepers? anyone have any input?

trapper
10-30-2012, 21:35
If i can sell it (with a tab bit of a profit :i ) and can scrounge up some loose change (lots of loose change) i may try to snag WM Ultralite so you may see if up for sale soon but not real sure yet!if you do decide to sell it pm me ill put you a check in the mail..seriously

RodentWhisperer
10-30-2012, 21:57
i have an xlite also..i was wondering if anyone has had them in the cold yet? what are they good to. temp rating for average sleepers? anyone have any input?

Not wanting to steal this thread... But I've an Xlite, torso size. I've used it several times when nights have gotten down to around freezing, and haven't experienced any chills. But then again, I don't sleep under a quilt...

BensMusicHiker
10-30-2012, 22:49
im a warm sleeper had it and a REI Mojave 15 down with a Shangrila-1 tent with nest at around 12degrees and was pretty comfortable. I am a warm sleeper so.... I may add i didnt have any under thermals on either....