PDA

View Full Version : $$$ question !

Changeofcourse2013
10-29-2012, 00:46
Hey, everybody I'm a couple months short of 19 and I want to hike the trail GA to ME starting sometime in march, okay here's the kicker I'm got let go of my job and was out of work for over 2 months, I just started a new job but I don't have much time to save $$$... so I want to know what is the rock bottom amount of money u would start the AT with (amount banked), thanks :)

HermesUL
10-29-2012, 00:57
That's super dependent, mostly based on how long you plan on hiking for. The "rock bottom" for a 5 month through hike would be somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range, whereas someone who does the trail in under 100 days would need much less. Someone elsewhere was talking about doing the trail for under a grand, and I believed they could do it.

Save as much as you possibly can though, because flexibility is one of the most valuable things that a thru-hiker can have.

Also, figure on a pretty expensive plane ticket from NH...not sure about the exact cost, but it'd be pretty high up there. FWIW, I don't live far from you (when I'm not in college), and I'm planning on a May-Sept thru hike.

Iceaxe
10-29-2012, 01:09
I had a similar situation this year.
I dearly wanted to hike the PCT again and even got the permit and maps together.
Unfortunately the low wage job i had accepted after the last hike(the AT!) combined with gas prices and housing left me way below enough savings to do a full thru hike and have something left to put my life back together afterwards.
To top it off i got a job that paid three times more just weeks before my thru hike would have begun.
Decided to sit it out a year and save money.
The results is that barring anything un-expected or catastrophic I will be in an excellant position to make another long distance hike in the spring of 2013.
I mention the above only as an example of the advantages of waiting..

Now I am 43 years old.. you are 19.. go ahead and go anyways!

To answer your question accurately i would have to know how you plan to hike, how much town time, how much you have or will need to spend on gear, etc etc..

Basically $5,000 will set you up real comfortable and you might have some to spare. (Thats what i spent counting everything from airtravel, gear, storing my truck and tools while away, food, beer, hostels, and even a rental car at the end of the trail for a week in Maine)
There are many people who have done hikes for much less though.

Rock bottom could be $2,500 and i have been told some folks have done it on this much but you will need to be careful with your money.

Byron Fairbrother
10-29-2012, 01:11
I'm a nobo starting march 21st and planning on $3000 for trip expenes.... $1000 for my equip and clothes. I'm hoping for very few zero days as those seem to be the best way to burn through money. Sleep on the trail as much as possible to avoid the motel and fancy resturants. IMO....

prain4u
10-29-2012, 04:10
You will always have SOME folks talking about how they were able to have a low-budget thru-hike. In theory, a $1,000 to $3,000 thru hike CAN be successful--if EVERYTHING lines up ideally. HOWEVER, in reality, most "low budget" proposed thru hikes typically have a low chance of successful completion. Only the MOST dedicated and MOST disciplined of hikers can resist the temptation to take zero days in town, bypass staying in hotels or hostels when the weather is bad and pass up trips to town for restaurants and "beverages" when many people around them are doing such things. Most hikers find that they can't resist such temptations to the degree that is necessary to have a low-budget hike. (You will also have "unexpected" things to pay for like gear breaking down or clothing wearing out. You may have some medical expenses during your hike--from injury or illness. Such things can destroy your budget).

I think most of the more realistic sources--hikers who have thru hiked the AT recently--would say plan on having at least $4,000 to $5,000 in order to have a successful thru hike (without being miserable and/or without having to beg off of your fellow hikers). There are other folks on these forums who would even suggest the $6,000-$8,000 price range (which I think is a bit high for a "minimum" price).

Start living cheaply now (like you would on the trail) in order to save more money now for your hike. Maybe get a credit card to "finance" your thru hike. Borrow money from family members. Ultimately, start hiking with whatever funds you have available--and try to get as far as you can get before the money runs out.

Let's be realistic here. Lack of funds is one of the biggest reasons why thru hikes come to an end. However, if we are even more realistic, statistically speaking--illness, injury, exhaustion, soreness, equipment failure, boredom, homesickness (and a hundred other reasons) stand a pretty good chance of ending a thru hike LONG before the money runs out.

leaftye
10-29-2012, 05:20
Get a second job or do work on the side, live frugally and do whatever it takes to save more money. Even if your thru hike isn't ended early by a lack of funds, you don't want to be stressing about money when you're just trying to feed yourself.

Mr Breeze
10-29-2012, 07:13
I thru hiked this year. It took me 6 months, and i did it with $2500. I never had to ask another hiker for food, and was never miserable along the way. I also never spent a night in a hotel, and didn't eat in town. The only money i spent in town, was at a hostel to do laundry. and get a shower. So it can be done, you just have to be disciplined enough to not spend it staying in town.

Don H
10-29-2012, 08:44
You will always have SOME folks talking about how they were able to have a low-budget thru-hike. In theory, a $1,000 to $3,000 thru hike CAN be successful--if EVERYTHING lines up ideally. HOWEVER, in reality, most "low budget" proposed thru hikes typically have a low chance of successful completion. Only the MOST dedicated and MOST disciplined of hikers can resist the temptation to take zero days in town, bypass staying in hotels or hostels when the weather is bad and pass up trips to town for restaurants and "beverages" when many people around them are doing such things. Most hikers find that they can't resist such temptations to the degree that is necessary to have a low-budget hike. (You will also have "unexpected" things to pay for like gear breaking down or clothing wearing out. You may have some medical expenses during your hike--from injury or illness. Such things can destroy your budget).

I think most of the more realistic sources--hikers who have thru hiked the AT recently--would say plan on having at least $4,000 to $5,000 in order to have a successful thru hike (without being miserable and/or without having to beg off of your fellow hikers). There are other folks on these forums who would even suggest the $6,000-$8,000 price range (which I think is a bit high for a "minimum" price).

Start living cheaply now (like you would on the trail) in order to save more money now for your hike. Maybe get a credit card to "finance" your thru hike. Borrow money from family members. Ultimately, start hiking with whatever funds you have available--and try to get as far as you can get before the money runs out.

Let's be realistic here. Lack of funds is one of the biggest reasons why thru hikes come to an end. However, if we are even more realistic, statistically speaking--illness, injury, exhaustion, soreness, equipment failure, boredom, homesickness (and a hundred other reasons) stand a pretty good chance of ending a thru hike LONG before the money runs out.

I agree with everything prain4u says (except the credit card and borrowing part).
You need to be honest with yourself;
Are you willing to stay on the trail while all your new buddies are partying in town?
Are you willing to pass up on an overnight in a nice warm, dry motel room and eating at a nice restaurant with everyone else?
You're 18, this is gonna be a 5 month party, but you can play if you can't pay.

SloHiker
10-29-2012, 08:45
If you're like most of the 19 year old thru-hikers I've encountered on the trail, you'll need $3k just to cover food! :^)

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 10:49
1500 for gear 2500 for food lodging and transportation, i don't think i would leave springer with less than 4000-5000$ GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HIKING. RED-DOG

trapper
10-29-2012, 13:59
I thru hiked this year. It took me 6 months, and i did it with $2500. I never had to ask another hiker for food, and was never miserable along the way. I also never spent a night in a hotel, and didn't eat in town. The only money i spent in town, was at a hostel to do laundry. and get a shower. So it can be done, you just have to be disciplined enough to not spend it staying in town.never did an at thru but have spent a month on trail in one stretch..is it possible to never be miserable with being wet cold and hurting?

prain4u
10-29-2012, 15:16
I thru hiked this year. It took me 6 months, and i did it with $2500. I never had to ask another hiker for food, and was never miserable along the way. I also never spent a night in a hotel, and didn't eat in town. The only money i spent in town, was at a hostel to do laundry. and get a shower. So it can be done, you just have to be disciplined enough to not spend it staying in town.

I am clearly saying that a thru hike can be done for $2,500. However, I would still say that you are the exception--not the norm. Most people are not as disciplined as you. Furthermore, when weather is bad (especially for those departing from Springer "early") there is often a desire to "hunker down" in hotels and hostels. Many people simply cannot resist that sort of temptation when it is snowing/sleeting or when they are facing multiple days of COLD rain. (Sometimes--it is not even safe to be out on the trail in certain kinds of weather--i.e. hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes).

Congrats on doing your hike for $2,500. What was your "secret"? I am especially interested in how you did "food" and how often you did things like laundry and showers--and how you did it economically. What was your "secret" to resisting the temptation to stay in hotels or to eat in some restaurants for the entire six months? Others could perhaps benefit from your experiences.

Out of curiosity, what was included (and not included) in your $2,500 figure? (So people can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges).

Does that $2,500 include the cost of your gear? Does it include the cost of getting to and from the trail (and from where)? Did that $2,500 include the FULL cost of your food? (Some people dehydrate most of their food at home and have someone else mail it to them---and then they don't necessarily include the initial cost of the food or the full shipping costs of the food in the price of their hike). Thanks in advance for responding.

People (including myself) throw numbers out there regarding the potential cost of a hike--but we rarely say what the figure does (or does not) include. So, it is difficult for people to compare numbers--or to accurately predict the cost of a hike

My suggested $4,000 to $5,000 budget would assume that someone already has MOST of their initial equipment purchased. It includes getting to/from the trail by private auto (or similar "economical" means) from within 600 miles or less of the trailhead. It would assume anapproximate 22 month hike-and leaving from Springer in mid to late March. It includes all costs while on the trail (including the FULL cost of food--and any shipping costs). It includes the purchase/replacement of a typical and reasonable amount of gear and clothing while on the trail. It does not include any significant medical care costs on the trail or taking additional trips home to see family members. It assumes that the person will go to town and eat some meals, do laundry and get a shower--and maybe even obtain some form of paid lodging---once a week (or maybe even a little more often). It would be hard to do such a thru hike for much less than $4,000 to $5,000--even if someone is being "mindful" of their expenses. Yet, that is the type of hike that many people end up doing. "Town" is a big draw for many people--and they just can't seem to resist it.

Slo-go'en
10-29-2012, 16:32
I'm reasonably frugal on the trail, but I do tend to stay at most Hostels, an occasional cheap motel and splurge on resturant meals when in town. Heck, while doing the Long Trail this summer, I had a $125 tab at one B+B alone and spent another 40 for food for the next 4 days.

Anyway, I'll probably head down to Springer some time in the spring for another long section hike. This time I want to try and do it really frugally and see how far I can get on $1,000. Keeping track of how much is spent is a problem, so the way to do this might be to get a pre-paid debit card and go until it comes up 'insufficent funds" one day. Then I'll know its time to pull out the emergency cash and go home. Since transportation costs are so variable, getting to and from the trail will not be included.

Ideas to maximize the "miles per dollar" (MPD)

1. Start later rather then early. A mid April start will help ensure drier and warmer weather, reducing the temptation to stay at every town stop. Starting in early March is not a good idea if you want to be cheap.

2. Try to arrange "in and out" town stops. Camp near the town the night before so you can get in early, then get out and still make it someplace the same day.

3. Eat the "in town" meal from the grocery store, not a resturant. You can usually put together a good meal from the deli section of the grocery store and your there buying stuff anyway. You'd probably save 50% over a meal at a resturant.

4. Use a few select mail drops where food would otherwise be expensive to buy. Neels gap, the NOC and Fontana village come to mind.

5. Showers. One of the main reasons to stay at a hostel or motel is just to get a shower. Some places will let you buy a shower with out staying overnight, so take advantage of those places. Water bladders can be turned into showers easy enough. If you leave the bag out in the sun for a few hours, you'll even have warm water. Keep your hair short so it is easy to wash and if you can keep your head and crotch clean, you don't need to wash the rest of your body nearly as often.

6. Try to do longer days.

So, I wonder if I could make it all the way to say Harpers Ferry on a grand if I used my own advice? Will let you know next June :-?

max patch
10-29-2012, 17:55
You asked how much "I" would take. For me, I'm guessing about 5K and I wouldn't be surprised if I spent more than that. But thats me. Others can make it on less.

leaftye
10-29-2012, 18:07
Yeah, I guess I didn't answer the question. I'm would strive to take at least $1000 per month. I could probably do it for less, but I like to eat heartily in town, tip my waitresses well, give money to trail angels and occasionally pay for a place to stay in town.

Also, I find that every article of primary clothing needs to get replaced. Shoes last a couple weeks. Socks don't last much longer. Boxer briefs last about a month. Shirts get replaced when the smell becomes unbearable. Pants are destroyed for a multitude of reasons.

Don H
10-29-2012, 18:13
I'm reasonably frugal on the trail, but I do tend to stay at most Hostels, an occasional cheap motel and splurge on resturant meals when in town. Heck, while doing the Long Trail this summer, I had a $125 tab at one B+B alone and spent another 40 for food for the next 4 days.

Anyway, I'll probably head down to Springer some time in the spring for another long section hike. This time I want to try and do it really frugally and see how far I can get on $1,000. Keeping track of how much is spent is a problem, so the way to do this might be to get a pre-paid debit card and go until it comes up 'insufficent funds" one day. Then I'll know its time to pull out the emergency cash and go home. Since transportation costs are so variable, getting to and from the trail will not be included.

Ideas to maximize the "miles per dollar" (MPD)

1. Start later rather then early. A mid April start will help ensure drier and warmer weather, reducing the temptation to stay at every town stop. Starting in early March is not a good idea if you want to be cheap.

2. Try to arrange "in and out" town stops. Camp near the town the night before so you can get in early, then get out and still make it someplace the same day.

3. Eat the "in town" meal from the grocery store, not a resturant. You can usually put together a good meal from the deli section of the grocery store and your there buying stuff anyway. You'd probably save 50% over a meal at a resturant.

4. Use a few select mail drops where food would otherwise be expensive to buy. Neels gap, the NOC and Fontana village come to mind.

5. Showers. One of the main reasons to stay at a hostel or motel is just to get a shower. Some places will let you buy a shower with out staying overnight, so take advantage of those places. Water bladders can be turned into showers easy enough. If you leave the bag out in the sun for a few hours, you'll even have warm water. Keep your hair short so it is easy to wash and if you can keep your head and crotch clean, you don't need to wash the rest of your body nearly as often.

6. Try to do longer days.

So, I wonder if I could make it all the way to say Harpers Ferry on a grand if I used my own advice? Will let you know next June :-?

Maybe this would help too;

7. Hike faster! A 100 day thru is certainly cheaper than the average 150 day thru.

8. Shop the hiker boxes, lots of free stuff there.

Slo-go'en
10-29-2012, 20:16
7. Hike faster! A 100 day thru is certainly cheaper than the average 150 day thru.

I think I covered that in #6, hike longer days ie, farther distance each day which makes for a shorter trip, be it section or thru.

8. Shop the hiker boxes, lots of free stuff there.

I don't think I've ever found anything in a hiker box I'd either A, want to eat (most of which can't be identified anyway) or B, want to keep. If your that desperate, dumpster diving would probably produce better results - and freasher food.

Changeofcourse2013
10-30-2012, 01:37
Thanks everybody for the useful advice I've made up my mind that I probably wont start unless I have 4,000 in the bank When I start in GA, one thing I was thinking about too was I don't have to start in march, april would give me another month to get in shape and save up

moldy
10-30-2012, 20:11
Dude, You need sponsorship. I think that you can squeeze enough money from New London to make it. Use the power of the light side of the force....the internet that is. Get the e-mail address for every business, club, church, group etc, in New London. Everybody gets an e-mail.....tell them who you are and what you want to do.......2 ways to help you with your dream......give me a small donation or sign up to send me a care package with hiker food. Take out a add in a local paper....local boy needs you help........get some of you friends to help get the word out.......you would be suprised how much you can get.......The State of Florida Sheriff's Association once completely sponsored a kid to hike the AT.....

Don H
10-31-2012, 10:47
"I don't think I've ever found anything in a hiker box I'd either A, want to eat (most of which can't be identified anyway)..."

Plenty of stuff in the hiker boxes, especially in the south.
I don't recall ever taking anything out but I have put stuff in hiker boxes.
I wouldn't eat anything from an opened package but there's plenty of sealed food left behind.

Depends on how picky you are.

Mike2012
10-31-2012, 13:45
Better to have a lot of money and budget its expenditure than to have to get off the trail prematurely because you have run out. I saw many people leave the trail early due to running out of money.

peakbagger
10-31-2012, 16:29
Long ago I ran into collage age girl down south who was on a tight budget, she did quite well off of hiker boxes. Apparently she liked oatmeal and that was a frequent item dumped in hikers boxes.

jeffmeh
10-31-2012, 17:39
Long ago I ran into collage age girl down south who was on a tight budget, she did quite well off of hiker boxes. Apparently she liked oatmeal and that was a frequent item dumped in hikers boxes.

What is the proper age for making collages? :p