PDA

View Full Version : Weather Info Please, ASAP!

TOW
10-29-2012, 10:49
Got a thru hiker that stayed with me last night and is getting ready to hike out shortly. What we need to know since he is going south is info and opinions on conditions of the higher elevations south of Damascus...

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 10:57
Their be a chance of rain in the lower elevations but their diffentatly be snow in the Smokies 4-6" are expected, suppose to dip in the mid 20s tonight and tommorow night. highs in the 40s. RED-DOG

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 11:01
and expect the same for pretty much the rest of the week lows in the 20s highs in the 40s.

Lone Wolf
10-29-2012, 11:03
send him to the library so he can get online to check the weather

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 11:07
TOW- the thing I would worry about, for him, would be the chance of high winds blowing trees down.

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 11:46
No ones ever worried about me like this i always trusted my gut instinct.

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 11:53
RED-DOG....And would your gut instinct tell you to stay out of the woods till this storm passes? In Roanoke, they are saying the that highest wind speeds will occur 2night after 6:00.

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 11:57
Some of the worst storms i have ever esperienced been on the AT so no i wouldn't hold up until it passes.

yellowsirocco
10-29-2012, 12:15
People need to chill out. The hurricane ain't even close. Roanoke is looking at 25mph winds. Damascus a little less. That is pretty boring if you ask me. 67mph on Mt. Washington right now.

We have three sided shelters on this trail that can protect from falling limbs and just throw your tent up in it to stay out of the wind.

If you have good site selection then even nasty storms are mild. I hammocked during the derecho this summer and since I was in a good spot, it rocked me to sleep.

Don H
10-29-2012, 12:30
Which peninsula are you on?
Hope it's not the Delmarva!

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 12:30
People need to chill out. The hurricane ain't even close. Roanoke is looking at 25mph winds. Damascus a little less. That is pretty boring if you ask me. 67mph on Mt. Washington right now.

We have three sided shelters on this trail that can protect from falling limbs and just throw your tent up in it to stay out of the wind.

If you have good site selection then even nasty storms are mild. I hammocked during the derecho this summer and since I was in a good spot, it rocked me to sleep.

No worries.. we are all chillin. Just doing some casual friendly chatting...

The last we heard for Roanoke is 40 mph winds. We are expecting the best outcome but preparing for the worst...main thing is we are hoping that we don't loose power. We can deal with no power but if you're not in the backpacking mode or on the trail, it gets a bit annoying. Mainly, what to do with refrigerated/freezer food.

Just praying for everyone up North with all the flooding going on... they are the ones that have it really bad. :(

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 13:02
I thought we was giving TOW weather forecasts so the guy he has could decide to stay or go. but i would go

gizzy bear
10-29-2012, 13:11
send him to the library so he can get online to check the weather

be careful LW... i think your warm & fuzzy side is showing... :sun

Slo-go'en
10-29-2012, 13:26
Not fit for man nor beast outside - and likely to stay that way for a few days...

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 13:34
I thought we was giving TOW weather forecasts so the guy he has could decide to stay or go. but i would go

Yep...got side tracked. My only imput is they are forecasting high winds in the area. We are caught in some kind of wierd wedge that supposed to make for high winds... he can use his gut feelings and do what he wants to do.

I think it's a nice gesture on TOW's part to try to find out all he can about the forecast and what he can expect on the trail.

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 13:35
be careful LW... i think your warm & fuzzy side is showing... :sun

..........HA!!! :sun

Tennessee Viking
10-29-2012, 13:36
I saw pics of Beech Mtn NC. Good amount of snow of the ground. I would expect the same for Roan. PM or Send a message email to Mountain Squid, . He is down around Stoney Creek. And should be out about with Bob and Eastman crew.

Anything about 4000' mark will probably be cold for the next week or so.

Raymond James
10-29-2012, 14:37
Not a weather update just an opion. I would stay put for the next 24 to 36 hours then head back out.

Just a Hiker
10-29-2012, 15:04
There is a Winter Storm Warning here for the higher elevations of Carter County until 8am Wednesday morning. If any hiker between here and Damascus gets in trouble, or needs a ride, call me at 423-328-4232. Good luck to everyone out there.

gizzy bear
10-29-2012, 15:24
Not a weather update just an opion. I would stay put for the next 24 to 36 hours then head back out.

:-? i vote this a good choice...if possible...ESPECIALLY given the lack of experience in snow and the fact that this could be a potentially devastating storm...my motto..."i'd rather err on the side of caution, than die on the side of oblivious" and yes i wrote that :p

doritotex
10-29-2012, 16:09
Forecast for Greene Co TN..A winter storm warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. In addition... Snowfall intensities will be heavy enough to substantially reduce visibilities at times. Travel is discouraged.
a significant winter storm to affect the southern appalachian region tonight through Wednesday morning...
.a strong upper-level storm system will bring strong winds and abundant moisture as far south as southwest Virginia...northeast Tennessee...and the smoky mountains. With the cold air in place across the area...snow showers are expected to continue over the higher elevations and persist through Wednesday morning. The snow is forecast to intensify tonight as the system strengthens and moisture increases. This will result in the likelihood for some significant snowfall totals across the higher elevations areas of southwest Virginia and east Tennessee...particularly tonight through Tuesday night...before it begins to taper off and end by Wednesday morning. Some valley locations could receive some accumulating snowfall as well...particularly across southwest Virginia. However...these snowfall accumulations are expected to be very elevation dependent..
snow accumulations of 6 to 24 inches will be possible by Wednesday morning...mainly across elevations above 2500 feet. Localized areas above 5000 feet may receive between 24 to 35 inches. Blizzard conditions will be possible at times...with wind gusts up to 50 mph. Visibilities may drop to near a quarter mile at times with blowing snow.

doritotex
10-29-2012, 16:21

If you have good site selection then even nasty storms are mild. I hammocked during the derecho this summer and since I was in a good spot, it rocked me to sleep.It's not the hurricane that people should be worried about in the SW VA/NE TN area, it's the cold front that is clashing with the massive amounts of moisture from the hurricane. There is a possibilty that places like Roan Mtn could get 3 feet of snow. This time of year hikers are not prepared for that! People could be caught unprepared and it could be life threatening.

JJJ
10-29-2012, 16:55
Yes, Sandy is the warm weather cousin of our storm.

My guess from the weather I've read today is the higher elevation between Whitetop and Roan will be significantly worse than Damascus @2000'. Especially wind which equals falling tree/limbs. That would be my concern assuming I'm prepared for possibly 12-24" of snow. You want to be very selective about which tree you camp under in windy conditions.

TOW, I'd say don't send him out -until the wind lays at least.

10-K
10-29-2012, 17:04
I picked up a hiker this afternoon where the AT crosses Buck Mt. Rd about 3 miles north of 19E. It was a winter wonderland - I'm guessing the Humps and Roan Mt. are getting a big dump as I type.

HikerMom58
10-29-2012, 17:11
I picked up a hiker this afternoon where the AT crosses Buck Mt. Rd about 3 miles north of 19E. It was a winter wonderland - I'm guessing the Humps and Roan Mt. are getting a big dump as I type.

Interesting 10-K and 19E is about 75 miles south of Damascus... It is snowing near Blacksburg in the higher elevations, they have 3 inches already.

doritotex... you are spot ON... we are caught in some kind of wedge between the edge of Sandy and a cold front coming at us from the west.

neonshaw
10-29-2012, 21:19
its going to be bad above 4000', i wouldnt want to be hiking in that, you may be holed up at a shelter for a few days

wnderer
10-29-2012, 22:01
http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/tropical/ir_satellite_storm1_1.jpghttp://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnews24_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.jpgJust a reminder how freakin big this thing is.

f5mandopicker
10-29-2012, 22:28
It's not the hurricane that people should be worried about in the SW VA/NE TN area, it's the cold front that is clashing with the massive amounts of moisture from the hurricane. There is a possibilty that places like Roan Mtn could get 3 feet of snow. This time of year hikers are not prepared for that! People could be caught unprepared and it could be life threatening.

Don't go. It's not worth the risk and I doubt you will enjoy the experience.

mountain squid
10-31-2012, 18:08
Just took a quick hike out to the Osborne Farm at TN91 and Cross Mountain Rd. There is snow . . . about 6-8 inches of it. From my house I can see the snow covered trees across Iron Mt. Probably a foot of snow up there.

Roan High Knob has 24 inches per the news. There appears to be a 'warming trend' coming soon, but SOBOs should be cautious as it may be difficult to actually find the trail and follow it . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

MedicineWoman2012
11-01-2012, 16:12
Nice photos..thanks mt squid

Praha4
11-01-2012, 18:52
most of the southbounders I met near Mt Rogers 2 weeks ago were talking like the rest of their thru was gonna be a cakewalk, all they ever hear is how tuff NH and Maine are, and the rest of the trail is easy. Got news for 'em, the rest of the trail in these winter storm conditions will not be a cakewalk. They laughed at me when I told 'em about early spring 2010 in the Smokies and postholing.