PDA

View Full Version : Bears still an issue between Jarred Gap and Neels Gap?

Smokin' Joe
10-29-2012, 11:18
I was in Ga. back in March, the bears were a real issue then between Jared Gap and Neels Gap, and we were instructed to not stay overnight in that span without a bear-proof container. I first thought it was an overreaction, that the policy was for less woods savy persons. I met several people that weekend that got robbed, and other tales from very savy thru-hikers that indeed these bears were proficient and getting hung food, even on the special cables.
Im planning on doing the stretch between Amicaola and Neel's Gap again in the next few weeks. Before mid November. I called the Amicaola State Park and asked of the current bear situation, thjey advised there wasnt one. I also checked the Georgia AT CLub site, nothing there. Can anyone give me any current knowledge?
Also, any current knowldge on water in the area? Hunting?

Thanks in Advance-
Smokin' Joe

RED-DOG
10-29-2012, 11:49
Yes their still an issue with bears in that area and their will an issue until late november early december that's the time they seem to go into hibernation.

ChinMusic
10-29-2012, 12:07
If you are solid on your food hanging, preferably the PCT method, you should be OK. If you make a mistake, just a little one, that bear(s) can defeat you.

Personally, I would sleep with my food and camp where I want since there are no restrictions.

FlyPaper
10-29-2012, 12:11
I was in Ga. back in March, the bears were a real issue then between Jared Gap and Neels Gap, and we were instructed to not stay overnight in that span without a bear-proof container. I first thought it was an overreaction, that the policy was for less woods savy persons. I met several people that weekend that got robbed, and other tales from very savy thru-hikers that indeed these bears were proficient and getting hung food, even on the special cables.
Im planning on doing the stretch between Amicaola and Neel's Gap again in the next few weeks. Before mid November. I called the Amicaola State Park and asked of the current bear situation, thjey advised there wasnt one. I also checked the Georgia AT CLub site, nothing there. Can anyone give me any current knowledge?
Also, any current knowldge on water in the area? Hunting?

Thanks in Advance-
Smokin' Joe

I hiked there early October. Before going, I called the forest service and they confirmed there is NO bear canister requirement for the area. That ends June 1st. Also, we stayed at Woods Hole shelter. We just used the existing bear cables and had no problem (although I was in a big group that might reduce the chances of bears bothering us). Also, we saw little to no bear scat, and heard no tales of bear trouble from hikers we passed.

If I were you, I would use the bear cables and feel fine about it.

Ang_Graham
05-05-2013, 11:03
What is the PCT method of food hanging?

max patch
05-05-2013, 13:00
Doesn't matter if there is a "bear issue" or not. Gotta use a bear vault if you camp in that area until June 2.

No hunting this time of year.

No problems with water this time of year.

As info, most of the bear issues this year have been in the area N of Neels Gap.

The Ace
05-05-2013, 13:50
I am not sure what you mean by use of the word “issue”. If you mean waking up in the morning and finding that your food bag which you hung from a tree in the middle of nowhere is missing, then yes, there have been several reported “issues”. If you mean waking up to find a bear eating your face because you slept with your food and minimized bear attracting odors, then no it’s not an issue. If you mean complying with the seasonal forest service regs between Jarrrad and Neels regarding canisters so you won’t get fined, then yes, it’s an issue if you don’t comply.

BigHodag
05-05-2013, 15:04
What is the PCT method of food hanging?

http://pinterest.com/pin/3307399696324926/

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 15:08
Bear problems this yr are between Neels and Tesnatee.

Who would have thought the bears could cross a road to find where the food is?

Next up, cannister rule from Jarrad to Tesnatee,

squirrely
07-12-2013, 13:22
There was a guy we ran in to in mid may who was followed by a bear from the campsites at neel's gap to the covered arch part next to mountain crossings. He'd hung everything, including his pack, woke up to the sounds of it getting shreaded in to, I guess thought it was a raccoon so he was going to just shoo it away, turned out it was a bear so he decided to walk to the hostel and take shelter there. He said the bear followed him.

No Directions
07-12-2013, 20:29
I never see bears. What am I doing wrong?

tawa
07-12-2013, 20:57
I never see bears. What am I doing wrong?

--------must be your hiker smell! lol Take a shower and clean up and they will find u!

The Ace
07-12-2013, 23:28
There was a guy we ran in to in mid may who was followed by a bear from the campsites at neel's gap to the covered arch part next to mountain crossings. He'd hung everything, including his pack, woke up to the sounds of it getting shreaded in to, I guess thought it was a raccoon so he was going to just shoo it away, turned out it was a bear so he decided to walk to the hostel and take shelter there. He said the bear followed him.

1) No offence intended, but the stories about the GA section of the AT (that I both read about and actually hear on the trail) always seem to begin with “somebody told me” and end with the bear (a) confronted somebody or (b) blocked the trail in front of somebody or (c) circled somebody or (d) stood up on its hind legs in front of somebody or (e) bluff charged somebody or (f) followed somebody or (g) was a mother and somebody got between it and her cubs. I don’t deny the stories; however, these stories never seem to have a resolution. How did the story end? Did the bear attack? Is the bear still sitting in the middle of the trail? After it followed to the hiker’s destination, is the bear still sitting there or did it get in the tent/shelter with the “somebody” and kiss him/her good night?

2) Where is the story of the backpacker on the GA AT who got thrown to the ground by a bear and had his/her pack physically stripped off the shoulders? Where is the story of the bear cornering a hiker and demanding a Snickers bar or else? Where is the hiker hobbling into Mountain Crossings missing a limb?

3) Could it be that the reason that the bear was following this particular hiker was because the bear had learned that the hiker (or hikers in general) hangs goody bags in trees (instead of keeping his food with himself/herself at all times) and the bear was following along in hopes the hiker would hang up another treat for it and then walk away? Like the hiker did last night. And, like the hiker before him did on the previous night, and the hiker before him, etc.

4) I just don’t get the obsession with hanging food from trees on the AT. At least for tent hiking. Seems likely to cause more harm than good.

kidchill
07-13-2013, 10:46
Just to add to the PCT method of hanging...here's 2 videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE The "proper" PCT hang...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WA-ZWv4cA The "sexy" way to hang...you'll see what I mean...just watch ;)

max patch
07-13-2013, 10:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WA-ZWv4cA The "sexy" way to hang...you'll see what I mean...just watch ;)

Hahaha...did you hit 4 over and over again?

kidchill
07-13-2013, 11:15
Hahaha...did you hit 4 over and over again?

I so did!! LOL