PDA

View Full Version : Linville Gorge

Austin_Knott
10-29-2012, 13:02
Have hiked Linville Gorge a couple times going through the two towers and up to Grandfather Mt., but was wondering if anyone has hiked the whole gorge this time of year? I know Linville has about 40 miles of trails, but does anyone have recommendations/tips for best trails and hiking this time of year?

Tennessee Viking
10-29-2012, 13:30
I have done Babel Tower Trail from the highway to the river. Some neat rock hangs but all switch backs and no views. Only good for wildflowers. And visited Table Rock. Nothing hard. Great views. You can always do the MST route from the Work center on 221 to NC 181. Or the Gorge trail.

I would call the Nebo office first. The Blue Ridge Mtns just got a good first snowfall today. I know Shortoff is hell at anytime.

I heard that SAWS just worked on the trail at Hawksbill.

Violent Green
10-29-2012, 18:38
I heard that SAWS just worked on the trail at Hawksbill.

I believe they did. I saw pics of the trip on their Facebook page a couple weeks ago.

Ryan

kayak karl
10-29-2012, 18:43
the gorge rats might have some info and trip reports.
http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php

Emerson Bigills
10-29-2012, 21:06
Always seems odd to hike down instead of ascending when I go to the Gorge. Really scenic river and makes you wonder just how special the Appalachians were before they were all de-forested and developed. Don't wander off the main trails too much without a good map and/or compass. Some of the trails are not well marked and that place can get pretty rough quickly. If you watch the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" you really can appreciate the Gorge.

Boone is forecasted to get 10 inches of snow from this storm, so you might hold off for a few days.