PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak Giga vs. MSR pocket rocket

RCBear
10-29-2012, 15:28
I attempted to find a previous thread that spoke to a head to head comparison of these two units but was unable, so...I would like to hear from those that have had experience with both or just one for that matter that can offer their perspective on what each do well and/or don't. I am leaning towards the Giga at this point due to perceived stability with 4 posts vs 3. the Giga canisters seem to be shorter and wider as well which i believe would also aid, although since i imagine most of the canisters are universal in nature that should not be an issue.

Boil times, durability, efficiency and stability experience would be helpful. I am tempted to just get both at that price and put the one i like less in my brother's Christmas stocking :p

RCBear
10-29-2012, 15:30
btw, weight is close enough to each other that that is a non factor in my decision, especially given my style of backpacking. Thanks!

Rocket Jones
10-29-2012, 15:44
You can't go wrong with either. Personally, I prefer the Giga because the four pot stands feels a little more solid than the Rocket's three, and it seems like the Giga packs up a wee bit smaller.

daddytwosticks
10-29-2012, 15:46
I have a Giga and like the four supports vs. three. That's the only reason I didn't get the pocket rocket. :)

MDFastPack
10-29-2012, 15:50
I have been using the Giga for about four months now and love it. Like everyone else said, went with the four supports over the three. However I highly recommend using the windscreen with it. But then again that's most stoves.

jakedatc
10-29-2012, 15:54
I have PR but if I had a choice i'd go with the Giga. you can use any canister you want, they are all about the same.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 15:58
You can't go wrong with either. Personally, I prefer the Giga because the four pot stands feels a little more solid than the Rocket's three, and it seems like the Giga packs up a wee bit smaller.

Thank Rocket. that feature would seem to make sense to me.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 15:59
thanks Jake. can i ask what features you don't care much for on the PR?

Hosaphone
10-29-2012, 16:01
I own the pocket rocket. I have never liked it much, but I also haven't put in much effort towards making it work for me. Really I only have two gripes:

#1 is stability of the pot. I haven't ever knocked it over but came close a few times. I have 900ml and 2L pots. I just went and did a quick test since I haven't used the stove in a long time, and the pots actually seemed much more stable than I remember them being. Maybe I was just an idiot last time I tried using it. Or maybe they're just a lot more stable on a carpeted floor than they would be in real world conditions on dirt, etc. The Giga looks a lot more stable at the top, but any canister stove system is limited by the base of the canister. Unless you put some sort of supports on the canister, I guess.

#2 is packability. This is probably also an issue with the snow peak, and something that maybe I could have solved if I cared enough (I spent months trying to figure out an efficient system to carry my caldera cone; just kind of threw up my hands and said "F it" for the pocket rocket). The red plastic case it comes with weighs 1oz. Not terrible but it would be nice to figure out a way to not need it. It's kind of awkward to fit in a pot though, and if you did put it in a pot then you have to worry about putting the canister somewhere... I never figured out an elegant way to pack the whole system.

I guess another gripe is that it's loud. I'm sure this applies to any canister stove, though. I have found that I much prefer alcohol but that's another can of worms and I guess you've decided you like canisters.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 16:03
I have been using the Giga for about four months now and love it. Like everyone else said, went with the four supports over the three. However I highly recommend using the windscreen with it. But then again that's most stoves.

thanks MD. are you able to control the flame decently? 90% of the time i will just want to boil water as fast as possible but may have some occasional need/desire to simmer. not a major factor however.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 16:11
I own the pocket rocket. I have never liked it much, but I also haven't put in much effort towards making it work for me. Really I only have two gripes:

#1 is stability of the pot. I haven't ever knocked it over but came close a few times. I have 900ml and 2L pots. I just went and did a quick test since I haven't used the stove in a long time, and the pots actually seemed much more stable than I remember them being. Maybe I was just an idiot last time I tried using it. Or maybe they're just a lot more stable on a carpeted floor than they would be in real world conditions on dirt, etc. The Giga looks a lot more stable at the top, but any canister stove system is limited by the base of the canister. Unless you put some sort of supports on the canister, I guess.

#2 is packability. This is probably also an issue with the snow peak, and something that maybe I could have solved if I cared enough (I spent months trying to figure out an efficient system to carry my caldera cone; just kind of threw up my hands and said "F it" for the pocket rocket). The red plastic case it comes with weighs 1oz. Not terrible but it would be nice to figure out a way to not need it. It's kind of awkward to fit in a pot though, and if you did put it in a pot then you have to worry about putting the canister somewhere... I never figured out an elegant way to pack the whole system.

I guess another gripe is that it's loud. I'm sure this applies to any canister stove, though. I have found that I much prefer alcohol but that's another can of worms and I guess you've decided you like canisters.

appreciate the response Hosaphone. i have toyed with the thought of alcohol but understand that after a few days without resupply that most find canisters to be more fuel efficient and i like the quick boil times that most seem to be capable of. I do want to find a pot that will accomodate the canister and the stove. jetboil looks cool and seems to cater to that anal organizing fallacy of mine but i just feel it is a little too gimicky and more likely to fail due to cute packaging. and the premium price for boiling water is not attractive to me.

MDFastPack
10-29-2012, 16:27
I feel it gives you good flame control. But then again I'm just boiling for freezer bag and coffee.

Hosaphone
10-29-2012, 16:29
appreciate the response Hosaphone. i have toyed with the thought of alcohol but understand that after a few days without resupply that most find canisters to be more fuel efficient and i like the quick boil times that most seem to be capable of. I do want to find a pot that will accomodate the canister and the stove. jetboil looks cool and seems to cater to that anal organizing fallacy of mine but i just feel it is a little too gimicky and more likely to fail due to cute packaging. and the premium price for boiling water is not attractive to me.

I pretty much view it as a wash between canisters and alcohol. Just comes down to personal preference. Alcohol is technically more efficient for shorter trips, canisters more efficient for longer trips, but it's really not a big enough difference that I care... Alcohol easier to find, canisters boil faster... Just comes down to what your priorities are.

Don't completely dismiss your organization fetish as a bad thing. Packing your stuff up efficiently means it takes up less space, meaning you could potentially take a smaller/lighter pack and save weight in that way. Having everything pack up together in a nice neat system also makes you less likely to forget things, makes you faster at setting up and putting stuff away, etc. If I was going to go back to canisters I'd probably look at the JetBoils but dang they are pretty pricey.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 16:55
I feel it gives you good flame control. But then again I'm just boiling for freezer bag and coffee.

yup...easy and simple, specially in the morning while breaking camp is right up my alley. thanks.

jakedatc
10-29-2012, 17:05
I believe i saw that the Giga was more efficient than the Pocket rocket. Giga might be more stable.. i haven't used one in a while. They are both blow torches so trying to cook something would need constant attention.

you have to turn to more expensive canister stoves to get better packability... Katadyn Crux(i really wish i hadn't seen this because i'm jealous) , Fire maple X300 or something

So if i was starting new i'd go Giga, But I have the PR and don't see myself replacing it unless something breaks or i find the Crux cheap

johnnybgood
10-29-2012, 18:39
I have a Pocket Rocket which came to me as a holiday gift so can't complain there. A hiker buddy has a Giga and I must say I am enticed to go out and get one.
My REI dividend money will be enough to toy with the idea of purchasing it come March.
In regards to the PR windscreen, I fashioned one from an aluminum oven roaster pan which is thicker gauge aluminum than plain foil.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 19:09
Thank you all for your reviews and experiences. And now Jake may have made my job tougher because I'm going to go check out the Cruz :)

But I think I'm going with the giga. will field test it over the Thanksgiving holiday and report back with my thoughts.

Whack-a-mole
10-29-2012, 19:53
Don't over look the Soto. very convenient little package. Very light weight, and super easy to use.

Trebor66
10-29-2012, 21:35
I use the PR with the GSI Minimalist pot and think its a good match. The PR in its case along with lighter, pot grabber, and collapsible spoon easily fit I side the pot. It's a easy and nice set up. Never used the Giga tho.

RCBear
10-29-2012, 22:36
Thanks Wack! I'll check it out.

The Solemates
10-30-2012, 09:51
i have the giga and love it.

for what its worth, a buddy of mine just bought one on amazon shipped over from china. the entire thing cost him $8 shipped to his house. he has used it on at least 2 trips now and hasnt had any problem whatsoever. http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351605436&sr=8-1&keywords=canister+backpacking+stove

RCBear
10-30-2012, 10:39
i have the giga and love it.

for what its worth, a buddy of mine just bought one on amazon shipped over from china. the entire thing cost him $8 shipped to his house. he has used it on at least 2 trips now and hasnt had any problem whatsoever. http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351605436&sr=8-1&keywords=canister+backpacking+stove

That's interesting. is that an older model or perhaps brand new? the 4 posts look different than the ones i have seen that turn in rather than out. although this style may provide even greater stability. at that price, who cares?? worth it just to check it out. thanks.

Lyle
10-30-2012, 11:51

Made me smile. You apparently never used a SVEA or MSR-GK. They didn't call them "Roarer" burners for nothing! ;)

barf_jay
10-30-2012, 12:05
I use the below, got off amazon only $8 weighs 3.9 oz...works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8CP88/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

coach lou
10-30-2012, 14:09
I use the below, got off amazon only $8 weighs 3.9 oz...works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8CP88/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

This and a pocket rocket are what we cooked dinner on, after the power went out!