PDA

View Full Version : What kind of jacket do I need

CJMays
10-29-2012, 16:59
I am looking to do a few overnights this fall/winter. I about have my gear put together but I lack a proper jacket. Any suggestions? I'll be in North Georgia/North Carolina

hikerboy57
10-29-2012, 17:24
i like a plaid for fall.for winter something with christmas trees on it
actually it depends on what you're doing, how much you'll exert yourself.theres many many ways to keep warm and dry: think layers. capilene, midweight fleece, downvest or down shirt and hardshell or if you're doing more camping you can just go with just a heavier jacket

bigcranky
10-29-2012, 19:39
I hike in the same general location. Winter here is easier than up north, but it can still get cold.

I take two jackets, a hard shell waterproof jacket for rain/snow, and a down jacket for cold. The down is for camp and breaks only, not for hiking.

For a shell, pretty much anything will do. The <$100 Marmot Precip is popular. For a down jacket, something in the middle between the really light down sweaters and the big heavy urban puffy jackets is good -- something like the Montbell Alpine Light Parka, for example. I also sometimes bring a windshirt like the Marmot Driclime.

Does this answer your question?

Blissful
10-29-2012, 19:43
Winter, down jacket, rain jacket to cover it if needed.

Blissful
10-29-2012, 20:20
Winter, down jacket, rain jacket to cover it if needed.

Firefighter503
10-30-2012, 15:22
Like was said above, think layers. A base layer (depending on what kind of temps you expect, light, mid, or heavy), a thin, lightweight rain jacket, and an insulating jacket (either fleece or puffy down/synthetic) should get you through most conditions.

I like my GoLite rain jacket and Montbell Ex-lite down puffy. Used them this past weekend in north Shenandoah and it was wet/cold at night - no problems.

RJ Lewis
11-05-2012, 21:51
I agree with the rest- layers are where it's at. You want to stay warm and dry. Most hypothermia cases start when temps are in the 50s, not when it's really cold.