PDA

View Full Version : Any tried the Jetboil coffee press

NICKTHEGREEK
05-16-2005, 14:38
Ok, I absolutely love a good cup of joe just about anytime of the day. I've tried the french press method at home and on the trail with mixed results, mostly concerning heat retention during the brew time. Now I see there's a french press rig for the jetboil and it just may push me over the brink and convince me to buy one. Has any one tried this out?? http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/JTB111

Not to be impolite, but I'm not interested in hearing 10,000 reasons why it's too heavy or how the alcohol stove you sell would be better, just comments concerning this system

Thanks-

orangebug
05-16-2005, 15:31
Haven't tried it, but have looked at it a bunch. It is not heavy, and appears pretty sturdy and easily compacted and stored. The only question is how sturdy the post will be under repeated use. It is likely to be an effective way to brew coffee, but I wonder if it is any better than using "boiling bags" or instant.

Personally, I just like to bring beans with me, crunch and suck on them between cheek and gum.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-16-2005, 15:39
Haven't tried it, but have looked at it a bunch. It is not heavy, and appears pretty sturdy and easily compacted and stored. The only question is how sturdy the post will be under repeated use. It is likely to be an effective way to brew coffee, but I wonder if it is any better than using "boiling bags" or instant.

Personally, I just like to bring beans with me, crunch and suck on them between cheek and gum.
I've been known to chew beans between coffee breaks- Thanks for the reply.

neo
05-16-2005, 16:34
i love my jet boil,have not tried the coffee press:cool: neo

hokiebpacker
05-22-2005, 19:34
My brother-in-law has a Jet Boil and the french press. He used it to make coffee for us over a week long back packing trip in South west Virginia. I thought it was great. Really good coffee. He was not as enthusiastic as he had to clean it each time. It is a bit messy for clean up. I don't think he will take it on any more trips. It works well as far as making coffee goes. One note, it works best to boil the water, turn it off and then add coffee to brew. Quickly boils over if coffee grounds are in cold water or reheating. Note that it needs uniformly ground coffee to work well (burr grind, not the simple blade type grinders)

neo
05-22-2005, 23:08
i love my jet boil,i am not big on coffee,but would carry coffee in the tea type bags to avoid mess,more a cappcino and herbal tea person:cool: neo

hokiebpacker
05-23-2005, 05:04
My brother-in-law would agree with neo, he loves his Jetboil - just no more French coffee press. It works as advertised.