PDA

View Full Version : Snow report from GSMNP

HikerMom58
10-30-2012, 10:21
Did you guys see this?

Snow in the mountains/Fall colors in the valleys

Super Storm Sandy has created extraordinary conditions in the Great Smoky Mountains this week. The higher elevations of the Smokies are reporting some of the heaviest October snows on record. There are drifts of over four feet in the high country, and the snow is still falling hard. Temperatures are expected to remain well below freezing at the higher elevations for at least the next 24 hours. Some ski areas in the region even plan to open soon.

Meanwhile, in the valleys, brilliant fall colors persist, with oak trees, maples, sumac, spicebush, and birches presenting a late October grand finale. As the storm system moves to the north, visitors to the Great Smoky Mountains should have some once-in-a-lifetime sights to behold.

Amazing!!

Cookerhiker
10-30-2012, 10:37
per the Weather Channel:

"Up to ten inches of snowfall was measured as far south as Newfound Gap, Tenn. at an elevation of 5,000 feet."

hikernutcasey
10-30-2012, 10:45
Mt. Leconte was reporting 17" earlier this morning and still snowing hard!

evansprater
10-30-2012, 11:29
Oh man. Glad I just bought some snow cleats. This should be epic.

gizzy bear
10-30-2012, 11:34

you need to be VERY careful....that being said...please post pics of the epic :p hehehehe i will laugh WITH you!!!

gizzy bear
10-30-2012, 11:35
and HM....i bet those views are spectacular!!!!

evansprater
10-30-2012, 12:39
I will post pics as soon as I get back there and complete newfound gap to hit springs! Can't effing wait!

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2012, 13:11

its 12-14 inches - you would posthole .... thats not hiking.

The Solemates
10-30-2012, 14:05
http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

WingedMonkey
10-30-2012, 14:13

Please do not get on the trail if you are wearing low cut shoes. You will need boots and some thing to keep the snow out of your shoes.

OMG....hike without trail runners?

:p

Cookerhiker
10-30-2012, 15:47
Posted from Associated Press 25 minutes ago:

"At Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina, park spokeswoman Dana Soehn reported 22 inches of snow at the highest elevations, with strong winds blowing drifts up to 4 feet deep.

Roads were closed throughout the park and a handful of hikers coming off sections of the Appalachian Trail on Tuesday morning reporting tangles of fallen trees and waist-deep drifts."

gizzy bear
10-30-2012, 16:03
Posted from Associated Press 25 minutes ago:

"At Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina, park spokeswoman Dana Soehn reported 22 inches of snow at the highest elevations, with strong winds blowing drifts up to 4 feet deep.

Roads were closed throughout the park and a handful of hikers coming off sections of the Appalachian Trail on Tuesday morning reporting tangles of fallen trees and waist-deep drifts."

that sounds a bit much...i mean how does one walk in waist deep snow? i know snow shoes would help...but most people don't carry snow shoes in their packs....or do they?

Drybones
10-30-2012, 16:38
I will post pics as soon as I get back there and complete newfound gap to hit springs! Can't effing wait!

Just a heads up, I've seen snows in SW VA where an 8'-10' deep road bed was leveled with fields on either side of it by the snow, the trail may be filled in and hard to find in some areas. The wind blown snow will stick to the trees and cover the white blazes, had trouble last year on the Pinhoti and could not find the trail in snow. A GPS would be nice to have at such times. Hopefully the snow will be short lived. Enjoy the journey...be safe.

brotheral
10-30-2012, 18:18
:-?
Looks like I might have to postpone my hike to Mt Leconte this weekend... :eek:

The Solemates
10-30-2012, 21:33
I wouldnt. perfect for a hike - in fact some of my favorite weather.....that is if you can make it out of WV :)

rmitchell
10-31-2012, 06:08
WATE TV, channel 6 in Knoxville is reporting 36 inches of snow on the ground and 5 foot drifts on Mt LeConte and still snowing as of this morning. Twenty two inchs at Newfound Gap. Problems could be at mid elevations as not all the leaves are off the trees and snow could load them down more. No snow here in the valley.

The Solemates
10-31-2012, 11:18
actually its 34 inches....but 3 more inches expected today!

Prime Time
10-31-2012, 20:31
Nobody is walking through 30 plus inches of fresh snow without snow shoes. Even then it would be painfully slow going, especially if the snow where wet. Better off waiting for a couple of days for folks properly equipped to pack it down enough for you to not posthole. Also, gaiters and micro spikes would be worth bringing.

Mountain Mike
10-31-2012, 20:44
its 12-14 inches - you would posthole .... thats not hiking.

Postholing is a lot deeper than that. a foot is just snow slogging.

The Solemates
11-01-2012, 11:15
Nobody is walking through 30 plus inches of fresh snow without snow shoes.

its fun for a day, but much more than that surely aint.....done it multiple times....most recently in CO postholing in late June