PDA

View Full Version : ENO Pronest

Giantsbane
10-30-2012, 13:23
I just bought mine the other day. I really like it, but I was wondering if there was anybody out there that has much experience with it. My plan is to use that on my thru in 2013. Any imput?

T.S.Kobzol
10-31-2012, 07:14
Spend some nights in it before you head out on your thru. Get an underquilt and a topquilt dialed in for the thru hike.

I just bought mine the other day. I really like it, but I was wondering if there was anybody out there that has much experience with it. My plan is to use that on my thru in 2013. Any imput?

gunner76
10-31-2012, 10:17
You might find it a bit on the small size for sleeping in. Ditto on above as to spend some nights in it with the TQ & UQ you plan to use to make sure it all works. Also try and attend a group hang in your area where you can see (and maybe try) some other setups. You might also think about getting a bug net.

Giantsbane
11-03-2012, 19:13
Spend some nights in it before you head out on your thru. Get an underquilt and a topquilt dialed in for the thru hike.

I have done that and I plan on more, but I was more curious about how it holds up over time. As for the quilts, I have a sleeping bag for now but will invest in those at some point.

zac39452
11-15-2012, 11:49
i have a single nest, so far mine has held up for 3 years with heavy use! i wouldnt worry about it tearing up on you for your hike. im planning on bringing mine for my thru hike! march 1 2014:)

G-FOURce
11-15-2012, 12:08
i had an eno double nest and it split side-to-side after about a year. a coworker had the same hammock and his lasted two years before doing the same thing. that's not to say that Eno makes sketchy hammocks, i'm just the experiences i know about personally. i have a grand trunk double and so far so good. my son hangs in an Eno rest nest and we've had zero issues with it.

i would definitely recommend you hang a few nights in it as that's a fairly small hammock. also, test different hang angles so that you know what you're doing and what you like before you hit the trails.

are you familiar with whoopie slings? if not, check em out... they're made of AmSteel and they're ridiculously easy to make. you can get the AmSteel from Redden Marine online (i have ordered lots from them and they're rock solid) and you can grab small gauge floral wire from a craft store to make the looped wire you need to feed the line back into itself. i use them on all my hammocks and have hooked up a couple of buddies with them and they're awesome! i wouldnt hang w/out them. if you dont want the hassle of ordering the line, buying the wire, and making the slings yourself, you can get them from a number of sources. i personally buy my hanging stuff from Arrowhead (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/hammock-suspension.html). again, i have bought from them a number of times and they're rock solid, too.

if you're going to use tree straps, which are uber-easy, do not use Eno's as theirs are nylon and they'll stretch. if you're going to buy some whoopie slings from Arrowhead, go ahead and grab some straps from them. the great thing about ordering theirs is that you can select the size you want instead of buying a canned size. i like that option b/c i was able to buy some bigger straps to be sure i could get around bigger trees (i use 9' straps). they're super light and wont stretch.

lastly, toggles vs. carabiners. i personally like using the Camp Nano23 'biners b/c they're just easier to use and i feel safer. i have a few sets of aluminum toggles and while they're lighter, the Nano23s weigh 0.8oz each so the savings is so negligible that i just go with those. plus, the nanos can be used for other purposes when not suspending my hammock where the toggles are pretty useless outside of their intended purpose.

enjoy!