PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Thru hike"

prain4u
10-30-2012, 14:49
This question is mostly for entertainment purposes....

Has anyone ever "officially" defined what constitutes a "thru hike" (as if anyone can ever "officially and conclusively define anything in the free-spirited and fiercely independent hiker community!!!)

I'm not trying to start a fight--but it sure seems like there are many differing opinions out there (and there is always some individual or some group that feels the need to make a rule or define just about everything). So, I ask--"What is a thru hike?"

Some folks say you need to complete the hike in the same "hiking season" (But what constitutes "the hiking season"? These days--you pretty much have someone starting their attempted thru hike almost every month of the year).

Some have said that the hike must be completed in the same "calendar year". (So if you start in Maine in August or September and finish at Springer anytime after January 1st it wouldn't count as a thru hike--even if you had kept hiking and never even left the trail for any significant time?)

If you walk REAL slow and it takes you 13 months--is it not a thru hike?

If you miss any white blazes and do a very short blue blazed section--do you have to stop calling yourself a thru hiker? If you "slack pack" for even 100 yards--must you surrender your "thru hiker identification card"?

Bigger question...How much of a break from the trail is "too much" of a break...and at what point does it really becomes a couple of separate section hikes? Would it make a difference if you took a several month break a trail town vs. going home for a few months?

Oh...the questions! Oh, the controversy! Oh the humanity of it all!

Thus, what really constitutes a "thru hike"? In the end, I think that it is really whatever one chooses to define it as (HYOK). But, I am SURE that some official group or agency has defined it somewhere.

What is that "official" definition?

atmilkman
10-30-2012, 15:03
Here's one version. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thru_hike

hikerboy57
10-30-2012, 15:07

Has anyone ever "officially" defined what constitutes a "thru hike" (as if anyone can ever "officially and conclusively define anything in the free-spirited and fiercely independent hiker community!!!)

I'm not trying to start a fight--but it sure seems like there are many differing opinions out there (and there is always some individual or some group that feels the need to make a rule or define just about everything). So, I ask--"What is a thru hike?"

Some folks say you need to complete the hike in the same "hiking season" (But what constitutes "the hiking season"? These days--you pretty much have someone starting their attempted thru hike almost every month of the year).

Some have said that the hike must be completed in the same "calendar year". (So if you start in Maine in August or September and finish at Springer anytime after January 1st it wouldn't count as a thru hike--even if you had kept hiking and never even left the trail for any significant time?)

If you miss any white blazes and do a very short blue blazed section--do you have to stop calling yourself a thru hiker? If you "slack pack" for even 100 yards--must you surrender your "thru hiker identification card"?

Bigger question...How much of a break from the trail is "too much" of a break...and at what point does it really becomes a couple of separate section hikes? Would it make a difference if you took a several month break a trail town vs. going home for a few months?

Thus, what really constitutes a "thru hike"? In the end, I think that it is really whatever one chooses to define it as (HYOK). But, I am SURE that some official group or agency has defined it somewhere.

theres no such thing as a thru hike.

Rasty
10-30-2012, 15:45
Does the trail go thru anything?

If you hike in Sequioa national park and go through the tree with a road inside it, is that a thru hike?

Don H
10-30-2012, 16:12
It goes thru Mountain Crossing.

kayak karl
10-30-2012, 16:29
fatman squeeze.

FlyPaper
10-30-2012, 17:01

This is just the kind of pointless discussions I love to engage in. Before throwing out my opinion, I should say that whoever calls themselves a thru-hiker will not get any argument from me. But I attempt to settle in my own mind what I call a thru-hike.

One could reasonably say that hiking start to finish (either direction) in one direction without straying far from the trail corridor is the only valid thru-hike. But if that is the definition, one would hope it could account for edge cases as well.

For example, if someone hikes from Springer to Damascus, flies to NY, attends a wedding, flies right back and resumes hiking from Damascus would that preclude calling it a thru-hike. If not, then what if the person stays one week in NY, a month, 3 months? At what point does the time off the trail eliminate the ability to claim a thru-hike? If one day in NY does not, but one year does, then there must be some point between the two time spans where the transition from thru-hike to two section hikes happen. For example, one would have to say that leaving the trail for 3 weeks does not eliminate the thru-hiker claim, but leaving for 3 weeks and 1 day does.

What if instead of time, we considered employment status? If a person leaves the trail, gets a job, works a few weeks and returns, then perhaps that makes it two section hikes. But if someone leaves the trail for a few weeks, does NOT hold a job, and then returns, perhaps then it is still a thru-hike. But suppose a person hiking through Damascus does a little cleaning work at a hostile and gets paid for it. That does not seem like something that would eliminate the claim of a thru-hike. So employment is not a good delineator.

What if they stop, but stay on the trail or in a trail town? For example, if I hike to Damascus, stay in a hostile for a few days, and then resume, that of course would still be a thru-hike. But what if I hike to Damascus, stay in a hostile for 12 months, and then resume? That might be considered a thru-hike if staying in the hostile is part of the hike. But then, what if I live in Damascus, own a house there, hike one year from Springer to Damascus, go home, work for 12 months, then resume hiking the next year having never left Damascus? That does not seem like a thru-hike.

Because of all the complications nailing down exactly what a thru-hike is based on stopping, leaving the trail, working, etc., I've decided that as far as I'm concerned, completing the whole trail in one calendar year counts as a thru-hike. The winter makes it very difficult for anyone to be on the trail late December thru mid February, so there are almost no edge cases where someone actually completes something that feels like a thru-hike that spans December/January. And if you're going to complete the trail, you have to either walk quickly, or else deal with cold weather when you start or when you finish.

Because winter naturally forces most peoples hand to deal with a single calendar year, I'm perfectly fine calling a flip-flop a thru-hike also.

max patch
10-30-2012, 17:05
Words have meanings and when someone says they did a thru hike the only thing that needs to be clarified is if it was NOBO or SOBO.

The traditional definition of a thru hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000 miler in a single, continuous journey by putting on a backpack, leaving from one terminus of the trail, and hiking essentially unassisted to the other terminus.

Rasty
10-30-2012, 17:18
It goes thru Mountain Crossing.

Yes it does.

Rasty
10-30-2012, 17:18
fatman squeeze.

Also true..

FlyPaper
10-30-2012, 17:42
Words have meanings and when someone says they did a thru hike the only thing that needs to be clarified is if it was NOBO or SOBO.

The traditional definition of a thru hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000 miler in a single, continuous journey by putting on a backpack, leaving from one terminus of the trail, and hiking essentially unassisted to the other terminus.

So if they take a couple of days off, fly to Chicago to attend a sister's wedding, return and resume, it is not a thru-hike?

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2012, 17:48
Here we go again:D Only in the Appalachian Trail community is there so much debate about a freakin' term. :confused:

Lone Wolf
10-30-2012, 17:55
So if they take a couple of days off, fly to Chicago to attend a sister's wedding, return and resume, it is not a thru-hike?

correct. they broke the continuity. no days off and carry a full pack the whole way

hikerboy57
10-30-2012, 17:55
people who have done a thru hike know how its defined. the rest of us are clueless.
i personally believe the definition to be somewhat ethereal kind of like defining a sunset to a blind man.

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2012, 17:57
What's a thru-hike, can someone define:eek::D

;)

atmilkman
10-30-2012, 18:08
Here we go again:D Only in the Appalachian Trail community is there so much debate about a freakin' term. :confused:
john, you're an avid cyclist, here's a question we used to ask ourselves when I worked as a mechanic for Trek bicycles. I'm sure you can relate. "Why are wheels round?"

4shot
10-30-2012, 20:30
people who have done a thru hike know how its defined. the rest of us are clueless.
i personally believe the definition to be somewhat ethereal kind of like defining a sunset to a blind man.

this is correct. I once tried to explain string theory to a rat in a shelter. i found that maybe I was the one who was trapped inside my own experience and the rat just smirked as I became entangled in the confines of my own vocabulary. It was as if he and I were seeing things through a different prism. The rat came back later and ate a snickers out of my pack. I got up the next morning and left in humbled gratitude. The rat had enlightened me rather than vice versa. A few miles up the trail I saw a black snake by a cooler full of mountain dews left by a trail angel. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

Zippy Morocco
10-31-2012, 00:30
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thru-hiking

Who can argue with Wikipedia. I think I will call myself an ETE hiker rather than a through hiker. Cause it is hard to argue the meaning of end to end.

prain4u
10-31-2012, 04:13
From the ATC 2000 Miler Application (highlighted portions are highlighted by me).

"The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) recognizes anyone who reports completion of the entire Trail as a “2,000-miler.” The term is a matter of tradition and convenience, based upon the original estimated length of the Trail. Conservancy policy is to operate on an honor system, assuming that those who apply for 2000-miler status have hiked all of the A.T. between Katahdin and Springer Mountain, either as a thru-hiker or in sections. In the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm, blue-blazed trails or officially required roadwalks are viable substitutes for the white-blazed route. Issues of sequence, direction, speed, length of time or whether one carries a pack are not considered. ATC assumes that those who apply have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail, even if they did not walk past every white blaze. If you meet these standards, please complete and sign the form below."

PJWetzel
10-31-2012, 07:41
From the ATC 2000 Miler Application (highlighted portions are highlighted by me).

"The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) recognizes anyone who reports completion of the entire Trail as a “2,000-miler.” The term is a matter of tradition and convenience, based upon the original estimated length of the Trail. Conservancy policy is to operate on an honor system, assuming that those who apply for 2000-miler status have hiked all of the A.T. between Katahdin and Springer Mountain, either as a thru-hiker or in sections. In the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm, blue-blazed trails or officially required roadwalks are viable substitutes for the white-blazed route. Issues of sequence, direction, speed, length of time or whether one carries a pack are not considered. ATC assumes that those who apply have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail, even if they did not walk past every white blaze. If you meet these standards, please complete and sign the form below."

I was just in Harper's Ferry completing my double 'thru-hike', and had an extensive discussion of this with Laurie Potteiger. The quote above never uses the term thru-hike, but the ATC does have an 'official' definition. It is anyone who does the entire trail within 365 consecutive days (*not* necessarily in a single calendar year). I was always reluctant to call my unique way of hiking the AT a 'thru-hike', but they convinced me that 'officially' I was a double thru-hiker. I even got *two* mug shots in the book. http://www.pjwetzel.com/2012/10/harpers-ferry-check-in-day.html

FlyPaper
10-31-2012, 09:29
correct. they broke the continuity. no days off and carry a full pack the whole way

Hardline, but consistent. Fair enough.

Don H
10-31-2012, 09:45
I agree with Laurie, hike the whole trail in one year.

Whenever these discussions come up it seems like the ones who have never thrued have the narrowest definition. Go hike the whole trail and decide for yourself if you're a the-hiker.

Don H
10-31-2012, 09:46
"decide for yourself if you're a thu-hiker" (wish I could edit!)

colorado_rob
10-31-2012, 09:48
this is correct. I once tried to explain string theory to a rat in a shelter. i found that maybe I was the one who was trapped inside my own experience and the rat just smirked as I became entangled in the confines of my own vocabulary. It was as if he and I were seeing things through a different prism. The rat came back later and ate a snickers out of my pack. I got up the next morning and left in humbled gratitude. The rat had enlightened me rather than vice versa. A few miles up the trail I saw a black snake by a cooler full of mountain dews left by a trail angel. Coincidence? I'll let you decide. Hah! Nice. Reminds me of a quote by Robert A. Heinlein:

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 10:22
I was just in Harper's Ferry completing my double 'thru-hike', and had an extensive discussion of this with Laurie Potteiger. The quote above never uses the term thru-hike, but the ATC does have an 'official' definition. It is anyone who does the entire trail within 365 consecutive days (*not* necessarily in a single calendar year). I was always reluctant to call my unique way of hiking the AT a 'thru-hike', but they convinced me that 'officially' I was a double thru-hiker. I even got *two* mug shots in the book. http://www.pjwetzel.com/2012/10/harpers-ferry-check-in-day.html

Whoaaa... back up. Congrats PJ for completing your double 'thru hike'. You are amazing!!!

Moose2001
10-31-2012, 10:32
If you have to ask, "have I done a thru hike" then you probably haven't.

Mags
10-31-2012, 10:37

Every niche group has their own arcane set of rules and arguments that make no sense to the outside world.

People who 'bag' 14ers have arguments over what is a real peak and if you started at a trailhead, and not gain 2500' elev (IIRC?) , did you really climb the peak? I've seen people start from a 1/2 mile below a trailhead and hike up a road just to get the requisite elev gain.

As another example, you should see hard-core Scrabble players argue over what constitutes a real word.

There are more.

Niche groups are funny that way.

rusty bumper
10-31-2012, 10:44
In 2011 I started my AT hike at Springer Mt. on April 1st. I hiked 2,093 miles north to Chairback Gap Lean-to in Maine, where I fell and broke my leg on September 2nd. I returned to the "scene of the crime" this year at the end of August, and finished the remaining 88 miles to Katahdin. I consider myself an end-to-ender, not a thru-hiker, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

FlyPaper
10-31-2012, 10:45
Every niche group has their own arcane set of rules and arguments that make no sense to the outside world.

People who 'bag' 14ers have arguments over what is a real peak and if you started at a trailhead, and not gain 2500' elev (IIRC?) , did you really climb the peak? I've seen people start from a 1/2 mile below a trailhead and hike up a road just to get the requisite elev gain.

As another example, you should see hard-core Scrabble players argue over what constitutes a real word.

There are more.

Niche groups are funny that way.

And it is a voluntary discussion. No one is forced to debate nor accept anothers definition for their own.

max patch
10-31-2012, 10:48

uh oh...if you drove FS42 to the Springer parking lot......:)

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2012, 11:15

There are more.

Niche groups are funny that way.Yeah, I know meanings can spark very intense "debates". I guess I've been getting sucked into this "thru-hiker" discussion, don't know why, I'm usually good at not getting bogged down in such discussions...I failed in this case -- I keep posting to these threads :mad:.

The only definition I want to get involved with, because I see it as important and not settled is NATURE. What the hell is nature? But I'll save that for another thread:)

max patch
10-31-2012, 11:18
And it is a voluntary discussion. No one is forced to debate nor accept anothers definition for their own.

Disagee. Words have meanings, which is the reason we have dictionaries. When someone says they "thru-hiked the AT" we should know exactly what they did, and the only question needed is "NOBO or SOBO?".

Karma13
10-31-2012, 11:42
Words have meanings, which is the reason we have dictionaries.

Speaking as a professional editor, the problem is that every dictionary has slightly different content, believe it or not. One of the things that has to be established at the outset of a book project is "Which dictionary are we using for medical terms, which dictionary are we using for general terms," etc, etc. Because every one has differences from the others. The best we can aim for is internal consistency.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the point.

FlyPaper
10-31-2012, 12:21
Disagee. Words have meanings, which is the reason we have dictionaries. When someone says they "thru-hiked the AT" we should know exactly what they did, and the only question needed is "NOBO or SOBO?".

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. This discussion on white blaze is indisputably voluntary. And regardless of whether someone should know exactly what is meant when someone says they're thru-hiking, the fact remains that without further elaboration we don't. I suppose if you offer that the only relevant question is NOBO or SOBO, then you imply the definition has to be very narrow, much more so than
even the ATC offers.

But language is full of ambiguities. If someone asks me where I grew up, and it is a brief conversation, I offer a brief answer that is fairly well aligned with the reality. But in order for someone to know exactly where I grew up, it takes much longer to answer, and they probably didn't care about most of the details anyway. There is no way for me to give a brief answer to that question and have someone know exactly the places I lived while growing up. But I can give a brief answer that captures the essence of what almost anyone is wanting to know when they ask that question.

Hypothetical situation, someone hikes from Springer to Atkins, VA; catches a ride back to Damascus for Trail Days; returns to Atkins and resumes hiking to Katahdin? If that person passes someone on the trail who asks are they "thru-hiking" in the midst of a 30 second conversation, should they say "yes" or "no"? Are they actually conveying a more accurate picture to the person they're speaking if they say they're section hiking?

Mags
10-31-2012, 12:25

Really not sure of your point here. Just making an observation that all niche groups argue this minutiae to exhaustion. Your quote above and your post above kinda illustrate it. :D

SouthMark
10-31-2012, 12:33

Great, that means I can do four on and four off and four on. Also I fail to see what carrying a backpack has to do with it. It is a hiking trail, not necessarily a backpacking trail. It is possible to hike the entire trail without carrying a backpack or even spending the night on the trail. In fact at least one gentleman has done that. He still qualified for a 2000-miler status, he hiked every mile of the trail. I have a friend that plans on doing it this way also. His wife will meet him at road crossings all along the way. The only tricky part to this is the smokies.

max patch
10-31-2012, 12:37
He still qualified for a 2000-miler status, he hiked every mile of the trail.

A 2,000 miler may or may not be a thru-hiker.

FlyPaper
10-31-2012, 12:44
Really not sure of your point here. Just making an observation that all niche groups argue this minutiae to exhaustion. Your quote above and your post above kinda illustrate it. :D

Whatever my point was, it was not disagreeing with you in any way. Just used your post as a spring board. Some seem to feel exasperated that we're having a discussion about what constitutes a thru-hike. Personally, I enjoy the discussion.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2012, 12:48
to be a through hiker you must carry a backpack end to end, no days off, no motels or hostels otherwise you're just a long distance section hiker

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2012, 12:49
Speaking as a professional editor, the problem is that every dictionary has slightly different content, believe it or not. One of the things that has to be established at the outset of a book project is "Which dictionary are we using for medical terms, which dictionary are we using for general terms," etc, etc. Because every one has differences from the others. The best we can aim for is internal consistency.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the point.Love this post and completely understand it.

SassyWindsor
10-31-2012, 13:01
My definition of a thru-hike. Well if you're speaking of the AT, I'd say beginning at one terminus and ending at the other terminus. No vacations from the trail. Injury and zero day's off not an issue as long as you don't leave the Appalachian range to take seek help. As far as following every white blaze, no. Even though I did, mostly because I didn't want to get turned around or spend a lot of time researching where each blue blaze went. The main idea is to travel the Appalachian Trail corridor from Ga to Maine but setting foot on each terminus. I don't even see a problem with the time it takes to travel, should be done within 6 months but you might want to average 3 miles per day and extend the trip, even though 2 years is quite a long time to spend in the woods without a vacation away. Not to mention the expense of such a trip. I'd call everything else a 2000 miler, a section hike, flip-flop, etc.

Don H
10-31-2012, 13:40
In 2011 I started my AT hike at Springer Mt. on April 1st. I hiked 2,093 miles north to Chairback Gap Lean-to in Maine, where I fell and broke my leg on September 2nd. I returned to the "scene of the crime" this year at the end of August, and finished the remaining 88 miles to Katahdin. I consider myself an end-to-ender, not a thru-hiker, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

Rusty, you're a Thru-hiker in my book!

Mike2012
10-31-2012, 14:01
Thru-hiker is one attempting to hike the entire trail in a year (or calendar year) . A thru-hike is successful completion of that goal. I suppose the year time limit is a little arbitrary as one could slowly and continously proceed for longer than a year. Don't forget flipfloppers or FLOBOS. We are legion!

Mags
10-31-2012, 14:10
Don't forget flipfloppers or FLOBOS. We are legion!

Never heard FLOBO before.....love it! :)

Zippy Morocco
10-31-2012, 14:21

Do you allow a special pass for Trail Days?

prain4u
10-31-2012, 14:58
Some seem to feel exasperated that we're having a discussion about what constitutes a thru-hike. Personally, I enjoy the discussion.

@FlyPaper. After reading your multiple responses to this thread, I am convinced that you really "get" the intended original purpose of this thread and the intended spirit of my Original Post. (Many others "get it" as well--but you REALLY seem to grasp the concept). The purpose of the original post was to simply spark one of those silly--pointless--playful---little "debates" that so many people like to have when they are bored and have nothing better to do. It was designed to pass the time and have a little fun in the process. (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!)

My very first sentence of the original post indicated that this thread was primarily intended for entertainment purposes. It was meant to be fun--and I hoped to solicit a wide variety of diverse opinions regarding what a "thru hiker" is (and to perhaps take a few playful--but good natured--jabs at those individuals who would passionately insist upon ONLY a super narrow definition of "thru hiker".)

It was never my intent that we really "settle" the question or agree upon an authoritative definition of "thru hiker". (However, I did genuinely want to discover whether someone had indeed gone to the trouble of officially defining "thru hike". I didn't really care what that "official" definition was. I just wanted to know whether some of our more "rule bound" colleagues had felt the need to "officially" define the term).

To FlyPaper--and to all of the others who have already responded (or who will respond in the future)----"Thanks for playing our game"! It's been fun.

kayak karl
10-31-2012, 15:16
i have trouble defining my work title and job description. Why would i want to define my vacation?

Don H
10-31-2012, 15:20
Oh, the game's not over yet!

If you are in the middle of a thru and for some serious medical reason or other emergency you can't finish but come back the next year or as soon as you can to finish are you a thru-hiker?

I'm sure many of us have met people like this. I could happen to anyone, you're out on a thru that you've planned and dreamed of for years and the next thing you know you're in a hospital bed. You pull through and hit the trail next year and finish. Are you a thru-hiker?

I know at least four people in 2011 that were either finishing from something that happened last in 2010 or had something happen in 2011 and finished in 2012.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2012, 15:47
Do you allow a special pass for Trail Days?

of course not. nothing special about trail days

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 15:58
I know at least four people in 2011 that were either finishing from something that happened last in 2010 or had something happen in 2011 and finished in 2012.

They are 2000 milers and earned it.

FlyPaper
10-31-2012, 16:02
@FlyPaper. After reading your multiple responses to this thread, I am convinced that you really "get" the intended original purpose of this thread and the intended spirit of my Original Post. (Many others "get it" as well--but you REALLY seem to grasp the concept). The purpose of the original post was to simply spark one of those silly--pointless--playful---little "debates" that so many people like to have when they are bored and have nothing better to do. It was designed to pass the time and have a little fun in the process. (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!)

My very first sentence of the original post indicated that this thread was primarily intended for entertainment purposes. It was meant to be fun--and I hoped to solicit a wide variety of diverse opinions regarding what a "thru hiker" is (and to perhaps take a few playful--but good natured--jabs at those individuals who would passionately insist upon ONLY a super narrow definition of "thru hiker".)

It was never my intent that we really "settle" the question or agree upon an authoritative definition of "thru hiker". (However, I did genuinely want to discover whether someone had indeed gone to the trouble of officially defining "thru hike". I didn't really care what that "official" definition was. I just wanted to know whether some of our more "rule bound" colleagues had felt the need to "officially" define the term).

To FlyPaper--and to all of the others who have already responded (or who will respond in the future)----"Thanks for playing our game"! It's been fun.

Thanks for starting an enjoyable thread. I enjoy these discussion and hope all take it in a friendly spirit, feeling free to challenge and not feeling attacked if their definition is challenged.

To everyone else, I would say the "purists" who insist on start to finish without leaving the trail are both consistent and not misaligned with an intuitive idea of what "thru-hiking" should mean. They should be aware, as I expect most are that MANY "thru-hikers" are not truly fulfilling the hardline definition.

For me, I've accepted the "one calendar year" approach because aside from the hardline definition, it is the next cohesive stopping point in a meaningful, yet more liberal definition of a thru-hike. And the difficulty of winter creates a natural barrier to there being lots of actual edge cases. Someone could theoretically finish on Jan 2nd, but realistically that's not a problem for many. And furthermore, when I'm on the trail, someone hiking the whole trail in a calendar year has a WHOLE LOT more in common with the hardline purist than they do with generic section hikers like myself (hiking it over 10 or more years).

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 16:04

Your honesty is refreshing. After getting so close and then going back to finish was a real accomplishment.
You earned your 2000 miler the hard way. You will always remember it, maybe more so than some same year thru hikers.

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2012, 17:00
Speaking of definitions/interpretations, what's your interpretation of the pic in this link? http://creativethinking.net/articles/2012/04/05/einsteins-insight-about-thinking/

I find it a little disconcerting that I interpret the below pic in the same way as most westeners. However, when I think about it, it really gives some insight between "brain" and consciousness. And it further helps me see that the brain, much like the body, is just a tool for us (consciousness); however, a tool that can be faulty if you're not careful.
http://creativethinking.net/articles/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/family-under-tree2-300x218.jpg

DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU DECIDE (INTERPRET) WHAT YOU SEE IN THE ABOVE PICTURE.

"What is that object resting on the woman’s head? When psychologists showed this sketch to people in East Africa, nearly all the participants said she was balancing a box or a can on her head. When nomads were shown the sketch they described a family sitting under a tree. Westerners place the family indoors and interpreted the rectangle above the woman’s head as a window through which shrubbery can be seen. Different cultures interpret the picture differently because of different kinds of experiences."

T-Rx
10-31-2012, 19:01
[QUOTE=kayak karl;1356383]i have trouble defining my work title and job description. Why would i want to define my vacation?[/QUOTE

The best response of all so far.

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 19:12
[QUOTE=kayak karl;1356383]i have trouble defining my work title and job description. Why would i want to define my vacation?[/QUOTE

The best response of all so far.

I agree... I think some others are way too uptight and serious!:cool:

atmilkman
10-31-2012, 19:40
[QUOTE=T-Rx;1356459]

I agree... I think some others are way too uptight and serious!:cool:
This is serious. This is so very serious. This is so very very serious. This is about me being badder than you. :eek:

hikerboy57
10-31-2012, 19:43
its important to remember those that have hiked thru in the purist sense take pride in that and look for a way to distinguish themselves from a 2000 miler. theyre entitled to feel that way, although noone does it without help.
"you didnt build your business on your own"

SouthMark
10-31-2012, 19:51
The ATC's definition of a thru-hiker: A thru-hiker is a hiker OR backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one UNINTERRUPTED journey. Pretty much what Lone Wolf said except carrying a backpack is NOT REQUIRED.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2012, 19:56
The ATC's definition of a thru-hiker: Pretty much what Lone Wolf said except carrying a backpack is NOT REQUIRED.

but one would be a weenie if they didn't :cool:

rickb
10-31-2012, 20:13

Even up Katahdin?

WingedMonkey
10-31-2012, 20:17
Even up Katahdin?

Yes. If I'm gonna crash I went everything there with me. They can write me a ticket the next day for spending the night, but at least I had the gear if I had to.
Then again It was snowing. I wasn't sure of my chances.

SouthMark
10-31-2012, 20:19

I thought that it was just walking, didn't know that it was a machismo contest :)

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 20:32
I thought that it was just walking, didn't know that it was a machismo contest :)

I can't imagine anyone just walking 2000+ miles with or without a pack being a weenie... I can't wrap my head around that one.

If I could muster up whatever it takes to do that myself, I would want to be a FLOBO, I think. It's sounds :cool:

rickb
10-31-2012, 20:39

More like a masochism contest.

max patch
11-01-2012, 09:01
Even up Katahdin?

K was closed when I summitted. Ranger let us go but only after he inspected our packs and required us to take them. Said if we broke a leg or something and needed to be rescued they couldn't get up there until the next day - and we would not survive the night without shelter and sleeping bag.

Lone Wolf
11-01-2012, 10:17
i've carried my pack up katahdin 5 times. no big deal

rickb
11-01-2012, 11:52
i've carried my pack up katahdin 5 times. no big deal

I agree, no big deal at all.

But it is kinda dumb if you are starting up from Katahdin Stream CG under normal weather conditions.

4shot
11-01-2012, 19:11
so...did we finally get this thing sorted out or should we wait another week or so and wrestle this pig again?

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:22
so...did we finally get this thing sorted out or should we wait another week or so and wrestle this pig again?

the waiting period is 30 days.