PDA

View Full Version : My 1st overnight hike

fiveonomo
10-30-2012, 19:54
Hey everyone, I just found the site a few days ago and I have been reading a lot of helpful stuff. I have camped most of my life but always at campgrounds. For years I have wanted to throw it on my back and head out. When I enlisted in the Marines many years ago I got the opportunity to throw a bunch of stuff on my back and hike or should I say hump. When I got out I didn't think much of humping or hiking anymore.

Fast forward to now almost 20 years since I enlisted I have decided I want to do some hiking. I would love to be able to plan for a year or so and hike the whole trail, not in the cards for me though, not right now. For now it will have to be very small hikes here and there.

I looked at a map tonight (I wish my maps skills were better) to get a general idea of where we are thinking of going for the first hike. It is scheduled right now for March 8, 2013. We would like to go out 5 or 6 miles, camp overnight and then head back in.

I have camped at Crab Tree Falls Campground and really love that area. Right off of 56 there is a parking area and it looks to be in between The Priest and Three Ridges. If I am looking at the map right I think the hike from that parking area to The Priest is about 3 or so miles, the one to Three Ridges maybe a mile and a half or so . Does this sound right? Are these good day hikes and a good place to camp at night?

Right now I only have this overnight hike planned but I hope to do many more next year. I am in the planning stages, getting my gear straight and making sure I have a good idea of where we are hiking. Any help or thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

moldy
10-30-2012, 20:58
Doomed sir, you are doomed. It has started already. Wheels are now set in motion, controlled by unknown forces. Finding this web page, posting this question. Gears are spinning in your head. Equipment, logistics, maps, provisioning, what, where, how? At this point there is no turning back...resistance is futile.....you will hike the Appalachian Trail. Some way Somehow. Now that you have taken this step, the next step is easy. You live in Virginia, the state with more Appalalchian Trail miles than any other state. Excellent place to start. You have a ton of great options. For a simple place to start, I suggest this: Take I-64 to Rockfish Gap and park in front of the National Park Service office(trailer). Hike South on the AT about 5 miles and camp in or near the Paul C Wolf shelter on Mill creek. Keep asking more questions, if your wife needs gift ideas for this christmas, suggest some Appalachian Trail videos available at the ATC web page. Doomed!

johnnybgood
10-30-2012, 20:58
Hey everyone, I just found the site a few days ago and I have been reading a lot of helpful stuff. I have camped most of my life but always at campgrounds. For years I have wanted to throw it on my back and head out. When I enlisted in the Marines many years ago I got the opportunity to throw a bunch of stuff on my back and hike or should I say hump. When I got out I didn't think much of humping or hiking anymore.

Fast forward to now almost 20 years since I enlisted I have decided I want to do some hiking. I would love to be able to plan for a year or so and hike the whole trail, not in the cards for me though, not right now. For now it will have to be very small hikes here and there.

I looked at a map tonight (I wish my maps skills were better) to get a general idea of where we are thinking of going for the first hike. It is scheduled right now for March 8, 2013. We would like to go out 5 or 6 miles, camp overnight and then head back in.

I have camped at Crab Tree Falls Campground and really love that area. Right off of 56 there is a parking area and it looks to be in between The Priest and Three Ridges. If I am looking at the map right I think the hike from that parking area to The Priest is about 3 or so miles, the one to Three Ridges maybe a mile and a half or so . Does this sound right? Are these good day hikes and a good place to camp at night?

Right now I only have this overnight hike planned but I hope to do many more next year. I am in the planning stages, getting my gear straight and making sure I have a good idea of where we are hiking. Any help or thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Welcome Scott . First off ,the parking lot off Rt.56, while conveniently located has had vandalism issues in the past. If you do park overnight there don't leave anything valuable in the open that might attract attention. Probably just fine to do a day hike though.

The hike up Three Ridges to the summit going Northbound is 6 miles one way and quite a butt kicker if you're just starting out. Harpers Creek is 2.6 miles in and is in a beautiful setting . Tent sites near the creek are the best.
Starting from Reeds Gap on the BRP(664) would be better day option and less elevation to get to Three Ridges. There is a terrific view from Hanging Rock just before reaching the top of Three Ridges--which is in a hardwood forest without views.

The Preist is another huge elevation gain in about a 4 mile switchback that takes you to the summit. Round trip would be almost an 8 mile return to car .There is a shelter up there to spend the night with places to pitch a tent also.

Tinker
10-30-2012, 22:18
First overnight hike, first overnight hike alone, first time alone in a shelter (same hike), first long weekend hike, first long distance multiday hike, first week long hike, first two week long hike, etc, etc. My most sincere wish for you is that you reach many of the same milestones I remember, and more, if your life allows (maybe a thruhike, even). :)

MuddyWaters
10-30-2012, 22:33
Who is "we" ?
Why such a short trip, to be planned so far in advance?
Dont be afraid to push your boundaries, thats how you expand them.
A one-way trip is more exciting than an out-and-back. Mentally, you have to commit , usually with no way of turning back.

fiveonomo
10-30-2012, 23:09
Guys thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Moldy I am laughing my butt off, I will look into that hike it sounds nice. Johnnybgood, thanks that is exactly the info I am looking for. Thanks Tinker. Muddywaters, we is a few friends that also want to do some hiking. The short trip is about all the time we have available, and March 8 is our next available date. If it was not for juggling a very busy career, a wife and her career, Girl Scouts, cheering practice, gymnastics,house maintenance, training, family time.....oh man did I have some time back in the day. When I was 20 I always thought I would have more time as I get older. In a few days I will be 42 and man did I have that time thing backwards. I have had a blessed life and my assignment when i was a Marine took me all over this earth but I would have changed a few things if I could go back. I had fun but I wasted a lot of time.
maybe when it is just me and the wife again I can look at doing some serious hikes, hell maybe even a thru hike. Until then the serious hikes are very low on the priority list.

MuddyWaters
10-30-2012, 23:31
Never put off what you want to do.
Tomorrow doesnt always come.
Life isnt about careers, houses.
Its about people, and experiences.

The best places to see in this world, you wont see from the seat of a car.

HermesUL
10-31-2012, 00:07
My advice is to start out with the best quality gear advice you can find, and begin with a base pack weight under 10 lbs. Lightweight is indeed not the only way to go, but it will make your experience much better. Apart from a few items (down sleeping bag, primarily), lightweight gear is equally expensive or cheaper than the industry standard, so there's no reason not to start out right.

fiveonomo
10-31-2012, 00:39
Thanks muddywaters, I have dealt with and see death on a very frequent basis and I have more stories about death than I care to discuss. You are correct, tomorrow does not always come. My career is more of a way of life and for me I love what I do, I just happen to get paid for it. My trips around this world showed me how lucky we are in America to have what we have and to be able to enjoy a good life. With that and the death thing is why I prioritize the things the way I do.
Thanks hermesul for the info and I agree with you. Today I went over to REI and looked at some stuff. I have a few things but I will need to pick up a bunch of stuff. I need to put a list together. Thanks again.