PDA

View Full Version : Trail Damage???????

woodsman
10-30-2012, 20:11
Has there been any reports of trail damage coming in yet? I assume it is still early though.

SassyWindsor
10-30-2012, 20:29
I wouldn't doubt that the AT in and around WV, with all the snow loaded trees, will have a good deal downed trees. May have major damage around Bear Mountain Bridge (Hudson R.) NW of NYNY.

Hanriver
10-31-2012, 14:27
Add Content

Deadeye
10-31-2012, 14:31
I'm sure that many volunteers or adopters, myself included, will be out this weekend checking on their assigned trails.

restless
10-31-2012, 17:26
Who cares about trail damage? The trail is hikable isn't it? From I've read on here in past posts, it doesn't even matter if the trail is offically closed by the local land manager due to hazardous conditions, "true" hikers will go through regardless, ignoring all warnings and safety precautions. :confused:

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2012, 17:54
The trail being a "ridge runner" avoids a lot of wires down ...but at the same time ...gathers trees down... A blowdown is easy to blaze around or go over... its natural.

Lauriep
10-31-2012, 19:47
A hiker walked from Bears Den (just south of Route 7/Snicker's Gap) 20 miles north to Harpers Ferry today and reported encountering only a few blowdowns and no other problems.

The worst blowdown was right here in Harpers Ferry and will probably get taken care of quickly.

Blackburn Trail Center was without power, so the pump for their well (the water source) wasn't working, but they had stored up some water in advance.

Laurie P.
ATC

Spirit Walker
10-31-2012, 21:29
We were out right after one of the hurricanes that hit the Shenandoahs where one in three trees was down for some sections of the trail. It was passable, but barely. Don't underestimate storm damage if you plan to hike in the mid-Atlantic in the next few months.

shelterbuilder
10-31-2012, 21:40
Yes, please be careful -- and LOOK UP from time to time. Broken-off crowns that are either hung up in other trees (or that are still hanging on by just a few threads) are hazards that are just waiting for a gust of wind to send them crashing to the ground! Help your local trail maintainers by reporting blow-downs and hazard trees to the local maintaining clubs.

Deadeye
11-01-2012, 19:03
Who cares about trail damage? The trail is hikable isn't it? From I've read on here in past posts, it doesn't even matter if the trail is offically closed by the local land manager due to hazardous conditions, "true" hikers will go through regardless, ignoring all warnings and safety precautions. :confused:

Not quite. When big winds blow down big trees, the trail can be obliterated. It most definitely ain't "hikable" in those circumstances.

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2012, 19:32
Some blow downs can be impassable just because you may have seen something 15 feet I have experienced blow downs at 1/2 mile... frustrating at best. My point is that this is a perspective.

restless
11-02-2012, 07:31
Not quite. When big winds blow down big trees, the trail can be obliterated. It most definitely ain't "hikable" in those circumstances.

Deadeye, my comment was made with the tongue planted firmly in cheek. When Vermont experienced historic flooding and widespread damage last year, several hikers on here took offense to the fact that the Green Mountain National Forest would actually close the forest. Roads were impassable and I'm sure the trail at that time recieved extensive damage. Locally, the Shenandoah National Park was closed after Sandy for a couple of days in order to give staff time to assess the damage. Hikers need to heed caution after sever storms. The trail may indeed be "unhikable" at times like that.

coach lou
11-02-2012, 09:22
Has anyone been up in the DWG Forrest or Worthington State Park?

Deadeye
11-02-2012, 09:45
Deadeye, my comment was made with the tongue planted firmly in cheek. When Vermont experienced historic flooding and widespread damage last year, several hikers on here took offense to the fact that the Green Mountain National Forest would actually close the forest. Roads were impassable and I'm sure the trail at that time recieved extensive damage. Locally, the Shenandoah National Park was closed after Sandy for a couple of days in order to give staff time to assess the damage. Hikers need to heed caution after sever storms. The trail may indeed be "unhikable" at times like that.

Sorry, couldn't see yer tongue from here!

chip2012
11-02-2012, 10:52
Does anyone have trail conditions south of pearisburg.

RED-DOG
11-02-2012, 13:17
Their's a bunch of blow downs in the Nantahala's of the N.C section.

Ladytrekker
11-02-2012, 13:20
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/trail-updates

Odd Man Out
11-02-2012, 14:41
The power is out at all the shelters. :rolleyes:

liberty lover
11-02-2012, 19:58
To agree with Odd Man Out,spent the night(Nov.1st)at Eagles Nest Shelter and the power was out.I think Sandy even blew the light switch away.The full privy was spared any damage though.Between Rt.501 and Port Clinton a few blowdowns but the springs are flowing nicely.I think the shelter register fell victim to Sandy too.Happy trails.