PDA

View Full Version : Smokey trip this June....Questions???

Bearbait
05-16-2005, 16:39
My son and I will be heading out June 20th for a 5 day loop in the Smokeys. We plan on parking at Elkmont. Is this a safe location to leave a vehicle?
The plan is to hike Jakes Creek then Miry Ridge to campsite 26. What are the trail conditions and is this a good camp site?? Next we will hit the AT and stay at Silers Bald then on to Mount Collins. I've stayed at these two shelters before so I know what to expect. We will then travel down Sugarland Mtn. trail to campsite 24. Then Friday back out Little River trail to the truck. Does this sound like a good loop or is there a better more scenic loop close to the same mileage that would be better? I have to make reservations around the 20th of May so let me know what you fellow Smokey hikers think. We will be coming from the "Roll Tide" state of Alabama........................

bulldog49
05-16-2005, 17:15
I've parked at Elkmont and not had any problems. There is a car campground near the trail head.

I camped once on Miry Ridge and wasn't impressed. Water source was a spring a ways down hill. But this was a few years ago shortly after it was moved to its present location. Not a bad location but nothing special.

The route you are planning to take is probably the easiest approach to the AT in the park.

Mike
05-16-2005, 17:49
I will be down this week for a good loop around the same general area. We are parking at clingmans and looping from there down sugarland mtn to 24. On to 19, spence field then derrick knob. The 6.2 between the shelters is way low for a daily mileage, but we had to reschedule today because I got a call concerning campsite 9. We had orignally planned on staying there but the campsite has been closed due to bear activity. We will probably add some sidehikes in on that day just to keep the blood pumping.

I have to admit parking at clingmans is kind of cheating... but what goes down....

Cant wait!

Nearly Normal
05-17-2005, 09:07
War Eagle!!
Eufaula, Alabama
Pete56

DLFrost
05-19-2005, 00:53
My son and I will be heading out June 20th for a 5 day loop in the Smokeys. We plan on parking at Elkmont. Is this a safe location to leave a vehicle?
The plan is to hike Jakes Creek then Miry Ridge to campsite 26. What are the trail conditions and is this a good camp site?? Next we will hit the AT and stay at Silers Bald then on to Mount Collins. I've stayed at these two shelters before so I know what to expect. We will then travel down Sugarland Mtn. trail to campsite 24. Then Friday back out Little River trail to the truck. Does this sound like a good loop or is there a better more scenic loop close to the same mileage that would be better? I have to make reservations around the 20th of May so let me know what you fellow Smokey hikers think. We will be coming from the "Roll Tide" state of Alabama........................
Elkmont is reasonably safe. There's regular traffic through there. Observe the usual precautions (no visible goodies, etc.).

Jakes Creek/Miry Ridge gets high traffic, is well-established, and is well graded throughout most of its length. There are good views along the upper section of Miry Ridge. You'll also see lots of tracks--bear, deer, and wild boar all travel along this ridge.

Campsite #26 is a great improvement over its previous siting and is now large enough to accomodate horse parties. The spread-out hemlock copse is very good for hammockcamping. Note that the spring is down the draw to the _east_ (look for the inconspicuous sign)--don't get your water from the filthy trickle that crosses the approach trail. You're likely to see deer browsing this area.

I agree with your selection of Silers Bald Shelter (renovated) over Double Spring Gap (hovel). If you're hammock camping, head towards the bear-hang cables and go into the young beechwood beyond to set up.

In previous years Campsite #24 has been a favorite for trolling bears, so make sure all of your "smellables" are properly hung.

Cucumber Gap Trail is a good place to see wildlife of all kinds, so move quietly and keep an eye out. (I surprised a fox last year.)

Let us know how your trip goes. :-)

Bearbait
05-19-2005, 23:49
Mike, I've done the Clingmans loop. You will like it especially looking down at the Chimney Top off of Sugarland Mtn. Hey DLFrost.........thanks for the good info, especially about the water source at #26. We'll watch for the wildlife. My son really wants to see a Bear. If we do, I hope he's up a tree (a very tall tree). Tomorrow (20th) I will be making our reservations. Can't wait to go........................

Mike
05-20-2005, 09:20
Mike, I've done the Clingmans loop. You will like it especially looking down at the Chimney Top off of Sugarland Mtn.

I have read that there used to be a trail from sugarlands down to the chimneys. I am going to keep an eye out for traces of it for future reference.

I hike tommorrow!