PDA

View Full Version : This Should Surprise No One

Rocket Jones
10-31-2012, 07:27
According to WTOP (http://wtop.com/1211/3100362/Superstorm-Sandys-extreme-stats) in DC, among the stats from Sandy:

Top wind gust on land in the U.S.: 140 mph, at Mount Washington, N.H.

peakbagger
10-31-2012, 07:33
Thats not that unusual for the summit. I live north of it by about 5 miles and realistically the winds were lower than several noreasters we have had in the past. We got heavy rain and some flash floods in the streams connected to the mountain drainages but overall the flks down south got it far worse.

Now add 91 MPH (231 mph the old world record) and thats inpressive.

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 10:57
Wow... that's impressive!! (231 mph)

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2012, 11:19
Wow... that's impressive!! (231 mph)
Pretty interesting story http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php

peakbagger
10-31-2012, 11:46
This video may illustrate whats its like when the wind is cranking up a bit. The observers go out every hour to knock the off of instruments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czazfwci1vE&feature=relmfu

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 11:58
Pretty interesting story http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php

It was very interesting. I enjoyed reading it ... thanks. :)

This video may illustrate whats its like when the wind is cranking up a bit. The observers go out every hour to knock the off of instruments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czazfwci1vE&feature=relmfu

Wow!! You live 5 miles away.... :)

jakedatc
10-31-2012, 16:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhViV7X2WY&feature=endscreen&NR=1

annnnnd.. the touron side... crocs... pj pants..

It was so packed when i did my Presi traverse we didn't even bother standing in LINE to take pics next to the summit sign.. we said "we hiked here.. we don't need a picture with a sign"

fredmugs
11-01-2012, 06:48
It was 67 degrees and zero wind when I summitted Mt. Washington in 2008. Hoax? :)

daddytwosticks
11-01-2012, 07:10
I have verizon and have hiked the first part of Georgia several times. You will be able to keep in touch w/the folks at home every day durring the first part of your hike. :)

daddytwosticks
11-01-2012, 07:11
Wow, wrong forum. Sorry about the previous message. Embarrassed!

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 09:27
Wow, wrong forum. Sorry about the previous message. Embarrassed!

that isn't anything to be embarassed about .... now had you professed your love for a goat....that may have been a tad embarassing ;)

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 09:33
as for the high winds...at what point do most hikers say, i can't do "those" winds??? i have seen some crazy videos of people hiking in winds that would have blown me off the mountain....but that can't be the norm....

HikerMom58
11-01-2012, 10:12
as for the high winds...at what point do most hikers say, i can't do "those" winds??? i have seen some crazy videos of people hiking in winds that would have blown me off the mountain....but that can't be the norm....

Hey there gizzy bear... I think that the wind is a problem for all hikers on the AT, especially in the "whites". (Mt. Washington) You never know what mother nature is going to throw at you on the trail, anywhere. But the whites are just one of those places that is notorious for drastic weather changes.
I remember when my daughter was hiking in 2008 following a girl's TJ. She spoke of winds that almost blew her off of Mt. Washington... it's a crap shoot whether or not the weather will be nice the days you are hiking up through that section. She was really "shaken" at some points. It's the life of a thru-hiker. :eek:

jakedatc
11-01-2012, 10:21
I was on top in 45mph gusting to 65 and it was not horrible. you had to lean into it a bit but not feeling like you're going to get launched. (and i'm only 125lb) and that is right at the summit.. There are buildings and walls to hide behind to get out of it for a break. then once you drop off the side a bit there is more protection. Hardest part descending was planting my trekking poles.. the wind would blow them off line.

5 for 5th peak of the day :)

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 10:33
Hey there gizzy bear... I think that the wind is a problem for all hikers on the AT, especially in the "whites". (Mt. Washington) You never know what mother nature is going to throw at you on the trail, anywhere. But the whites are just one of those places that is notorious for drastic weather changes.
I remember when my daughter was hiking in 2008 following a girl's TJ. She spoke of winds that almost blew her off of Mt. Washington... it's a crap shoot whether or not the weather will be nice the days you are hiking up through that section. She was really "shaken" at some points. It's the life of a thru-hiker. :eek:

:) wow...i bet she was scared and shaken!! almost being blown off a mountain isn't on my bucket list either :eek: glad she made it safely!!!

HikerMom58
11-01-2012, 10:39
Yeah, she made it safely :) But, reading her TJ's was an eye opener for me as to what some hikers encounter on the trail.... this happened to be strong winds for her while she was up there.

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 10:39
I was on top in 45mph gusting to 65 and it was not horrible. you had to lean into it a bit but not feeling like you're going to get launched. (and i'm only 125lb) and that is right at the summit.. There are buildings and walls to hide behind to get out of it for a break. then once you drop off the side a bit there is more protection. Hardest part descending was planting my trekking poles.. the wind would blow them off line.

5 for 5th peak of the day :)

that is a cool pic! and i am about 118 lbs...so we are pretty equal there... kinda glad i don't have to worry about that in august.... i am just hoping that katahdin isn't really windy....but i know there is no guarantee...just hoping :D

peakbagger
11-01-2012, 11:30
A major challenge with wind on top of Mt Washington is making sure your foot lands where you want it. The trail is composed of large irregular boulders and rocks (thats why the nickname is "The Rockpile"). When you are hiking you need to step from one rock to another as ther may be gaps in between the rocks. When a gust comes up, your foot may not land where you want it to.

The other thing to consider is most folks have backpacks on and they work reall well as "sails".

The wind does hit 100 MPH even in the summer and it has snowed every month of the year.

Slo-go'en
11-01-2012, 11:53
I've been literaly blown over the top of Mt Adams. Thankfully I landed in a snow drift on the other side :) Getting down was even more fun, as at some point you have to walk into the wind.

The worst winds are usually in the winter as fronts move in or out. I rememeber a full week where the winds above tree line never went much below 100 mph, during my stay as winter caretaker for the Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams. Oh, it was also about 10 to 20 below that whole time too, without wind chill! Just getting out to the privy was an expedition.

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 13:26
I've been literaly blown over the top of Mt Adams. Thankfully I landed in a snow drift on the other side :) Getting down was even more fun, as at some point you have to walk into the wind.

The worst winds are usually in the winter as fronts move in or out. I rememeber a full week where the winds above tree line never went much below 100 mph, during my stay as winter caretaker for the Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams. Oh, it was also about 10 to 20 below that whole time too, without wind chill! Just getting out to the privy was an expedition.

and that was fun why? :rolleyes: i was snow skiing in vermont a few years back and with the wind chill on one mountain, was like 30 below or something like that....i was crying....that is just too cold for people :p

Rocket Jones
11-01-2012, 19:28
When I was stationed in Grand Forks, North Dakota, they had a saying: "20 Below Keeps the Riff-Raff Out!" :D