PDA

View Full Version : DESPERATELY NEED HELP: Gregory Deva 85 vs Osprey Ariel 75

rogue31
10-31-2012, 19:24
Hello, newbie here. I desperately need help!!!...:o
I've been tossing and turning like crazy over my very first women's backpack: Gregory Deva 85 vs Osprey Ariel 75
Since I am super new at all this, I have no idea what's the major flaws I should look for on a pack. I want a good quality pack that will hold loads for multi-days (possibly overseas trek, as well). I will be carrying a lot of UL stuff (e.g. Copper Spur UL2 w/ UL footprint and DAC poles, titanium cooking items+MSR pocket rocket, Down Sleeping bag), except for the sleeping pad (EXPED DownMat LW7) plus food, clothes, water and other usual gears.

PLEASE help me decide...
Many thanks in advance!

Here's a list of the difference between the two products:

Gregory DEVA 85:

Heavy... (uh, I mean... HEAVY!)
It has a "slim" design (I don't know, it's weird because this is 85L but it looks less roomy compared to the OSPREY ARIEL-75)
I absolutely love the pockets, compartments, great overall storage placements- including the zippered pockets molded in the hip-belt!
The quality is definitely superior, every part seems to be very beefy and well thought out (except for the weight!)
Retail price at REI $379 -- it's on SALE now for $200!

Osprey ARIEL 75:

Lighter than the Gregory DEVA-85 (uh, much lighter...)
It "appears" to be more roomy
Less compartments, no smart zippered pockets.
Less beefy
A very nice pack with less padding, I just wish it was built with a smarter design with really cool pockets and compartments like the DEVA.
Retail price at REI $289 -- it's on SALE now for $230!

Hosaphone
10-31-2012, 20:01
It would be useful if you could post a full gear list and what you want to do. Fwiw those packs are MUCH bigger and heavier than what most people here carry. Unless you're planning 10-day winter trip, it's likely that both packs are overkill.

bigcranky
10-31-2012, 20:21
:welcome

If you are carrying "a lot of UL stuff" then I would kindly suggest that is something of an oxymoron :) Carry a lot of anything and the weight adds up fast.

The sort of gear on your list is pretty good lightweight gear, the kind that requires a light pack with a moderate frame -- something in the 3-pound range and a capacity of ~60 liters. The Ariel 75 is heavier and a lot bigger than that, though my wife carries an Ariel 55 and appreciates the fit of the suspension. I might split the difference and get the Ariel 65.

All those neat little zippered pockets add weight. They might also add some utility for you, but they add weight. There are other pack designs that offer large outside mesh pockets, a la the ULA Circuit or Catalyst, which I find much more useful on the trail. YMMV.

Finally, and this is the big one, it's almost always best to take all your gear down to the outfitter and put it in some packs. See what fits, see how it feels on your back. The nice thing about REI, of course, is that you can try it on a weekend hike and swap out for a new pack if need be.

Good luck.

bigcranky
10-31-2012, 20:25
Let me add that a 75 or 85 liter pack is really a specialty item, not something one sees on a typical experienced long distance hiker. That said, my first pack was 90 liters - I needed room for all that crucial gear and clothing (like a complete change of clothes for every day on the trail....) If you are like most folks, you'll end up going through several iterations of gear if you keep this up.

RodentWhisperer
10-31-2012, 21:19
It would be useful if you could post a full gear list and what you want to do.

+1 on this. Without an idea of what it is you plan to carry, it's very hard to make any recommendation.

swjohnsey
10-31-2012, 22:47
Both are too big for a thru-hike.

Kari Post
11-05-2012, 09:58
Both are comfy packs, but really big for UL gear! Consider an Osprey Ariel 65. It's a bit smaller, but still big enough for a bear canister and has a bottom zip that makes access to gear easy (the 55 version doesn't have these features). The Deva is a nice pack but really heavy. The Ariels are probably some of the better lightweight but fully featured packs - not as light as the specialty brands, but very durable and with a super solid and comfy frame. I think the Ariel is a great compromise.

I have an Osprey Talon 44 and an Osprey Ariel 55 and wish I had gotten an Ariel 65 instead, as it would be a more versatile combination. The 55 is a bit narrower so you can't put a bear canister in lying on its side, and there is no zip on the bottom for it. However, I've done numerous week+ long treks with it while leading groups (meaning extra food, pots and pans, and medical supplies than what I would carry traveling on my own) and it was worked out ok.

Ladytrekker
11-05-2012, 10:15
I had an Ariel 65 the smaller one and it was still too large I now use a ULA Circuit. The larger the pack the more stuff you carry you don't need. I personaly would never carry a pack that large.

Whack-a-mole
11-05-2012, 10:55
I had a very highly rated Osprey, but I took it back and bought a Golite. Best thing I ever did.

RJ Lewis
11-05-2012, 20:12
I started with a 60 litre Gregory pack. My daughter has it now. While it was rugged, it was way too big and too heavy for my needs. I have a ULA Circuit for winter type loads and times when I will need to carry more than a weeks' worth of food, etc....for my thru hike, I selected a 42 litre pack from Elemental Horizons and it holds all I need to hike the AT, with room to spare. It weighs alot less too! :) Live and learn.... You will get on the trail and soon learn that you really don't need all the stuff you thought you did- most do. Soon you will have your weight down where it should be, and probably have to buy a new, smaller pack to accomodate your gear. I agree with the rest- take your gear down to wherever it is you want to purchase a pack and try several that fit the gear you plan on taking. And yes REI has a most lenient return policy when it comes to gear.

Drybones
11-05-2012, 21:38
Both are too big for a thru-hike.

+1...too big for any hike...60 liter or less.

Sailing_Faith
11-05-2012, 21:54
Go to REI. Place 30# in each pack, ask for help in adjusting them... Buy whatever feels best.

I appreciate the wise advice of those who suggest a smaller pack.... But even if you take it, buy neither one without a loaded (overloaded) fit test.... You really do not care what anyone "thinks" of a pack if it does not work well for you with a load.

Erin
11-05-2012, 23:19
I have had a Gregory Deva 60 for six years? and it has held up well, so well, I can't justify the expense of a lighter pack. It is five pounds. I am taking it this weekend, but fortunately I have gone lighter in some of the gear I have had to replace. I am five feet tall and had a heck of a time finding a fit. If I got a new pack, I would definitely go lighter and I bet you can too as the more experienced posters than I suggested.

skinewmexico
11-05-2012, 23:31
ULA Circuit is an awesome pack. Made in the USA.

Deacon
11-06-2012, 07:25
Go to REI. Place 30# in each pack, ask for help in adjusting them... Buy whatever feels best.

I appreciate the wise advice of those who suggest a smaller pack.... But even if you take it, buy neither one without a loaded (overloaded) fit test.... You really do not care what anyone "thinks" of a pack if it does not work well for you with a load.

Agree. Once you get out on the trail, weight will mean everything. Only experience will allow you to find the point between comfort and weight.