PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a +35 bag?

EMAN
05-16-2005, 22:24
I would like to get an opinion on whether or not I could survive with a +35 bag. I have a Big Agnes Horse Thief and I have one of their cold weather pads to go in it. It's 2.5" pad. I am a pretty big guy, like sleeping in the cold, but also, obviously, don't want to freeze my butt off either.
The bag fits pretty tight and I don't know that I could climb into some extra clothes if I did get too cold.
Should I forget this idea and go ahead and take a colder weather bag? Change out once I got away from the cold?

Panzer1
05-16-2005, 23:18
I think most people go with a +20 degree bag.

panzer

Old Hickory MH
05-16-2005, 23:31
Evert situation is going to be different. Are you hiking in the highlands or in the valleys? What time of year is it that you will be hiking? I just got done section hiking Front Royal to Harpers Ferry and would have much rather had a 35-40 degree bag than the 20 degree one I had. Think about it though, what would I have done with a lighter bag if the weather would have turned cold instead of warm. You can always take clothes off and you can always sleep on top of your bag or leave it open, but you only have so many clothes you can put on.

Old Hickory MH......I'd rather die living life than live life dying!

TakeABreak
05-17-2005, 06:34
What time of the year are you planning on using the bag and where??

EMAN
05-17-2005, 08:05
What time of the year are you planning on using the bag and where??I am actually planning on a NOBO thru hike, probably in 2007 (still raising a kid on my own). I was thinking about just taking the +35 bag and hanging on to it the whole trip. Obviously, nothaving done this thing, I have no concept of just how cold it might get. But I have camped before in cold weather, perhaps the upper 20's, and not been uncomfortable in a lighter bag. When I did get cold, I pulled the thing tighter around my neck and/or put some more clothes on.
However, I understand that if it gets in the teens or below, I may want to consider the extra weight of a warmer bag.
Actually, as I will be a newbie, I can use any advice available on any subject. I want this to be, not too painless, but thought out more than my usual knee jerk, let's go for it attitude. And I have time to do so.
Thanks.
EMAN

EMAN
05-17-2005, 08:12
What time of the year are you planning on using the bag and where??As I am still raising a child on my own, I am planning this NOBO trip for 2007.
Not having done this before, I need all the help and advice I can get.
I have camped with light bags before, perhaps down to the upper 20's. But I didn't encounter any major wind or snow (some snow).
I either pulled the thing tighter to me, wrapped in a tarp, or put on extra clothes. Never all three.
But Idon't know what the temp range is thru the Smokies. If it gets to thet teens or below, I may want to carry the heavier bag a while.
I reckon I can garner most of the info I need from this site. Or read a book. I hate to seem like I'm asking dumb questions. But, since I have time, I'd really like to put more thought into this than my usual "go for it" attitude. Make it not too painless but more planned.
Thanks
EMAN

TakeABreak
05-17-2005, 21:12
Well I am really not what time of year you plan on starting you hike, but I am strongly suggest you do not use a 35 degree bag, I had 40 d, bag sent to me and use in vermont and froze my butt off, it was around May 25th., I should stuck with 15 d, bag I started with in GA, on 2/12.

Although if you starting later in the year you would not have to as warm of a bag, I personally would go with a a 20 d, or 25 d minimum. I am like you I like cool at night and am 6 ft myself.

I used a marmot pinnacle 675 down, weight about 2.5 lbs. they have a lot of new 900 down bags out that a lot lighter and just as warm. check out their website, I am partial to marmot because mine 15 d kept me warm in 5 d, weather. I never got cold in it. As a matter of fact I would wake sweating and have leave my bag partially open the rest of the night while others were cold in their 15d or 20d bags. check out their website at www.marmot.com (http://www.marmot.com) I will tell their are less expensive bags out there, but I bought in 99 and used in 00, and many weekend treks since and looks & works like brand new bag, I will keep it till I buy a 900 down bag.

smokymtnsteve
05-17-2005, 21:44
I too am very cold tolerant,,,so I would say yes U can use the+35 bag ...I have used just a fleece blanket many trips...even with temps into the teens,,,if it gets to be too cold for U on an occasional night all U have to do is get up, get dressed and do a little hiking to warm up and then take a nap the next afternoon.

neo
05-17-2005, 23:52
most of my section hikes have been in may to october,in october i used a 35 degree bag,this september i will be using a 40 mountain hardwear x-country
i can go a little below freezeing in a 40 degree bag.i am a hot sleeper:cool: neo

saimyoji
05-09-2006, 22:43
most of my section hikes have been in may to october,in october i used a 35 degree bag,this september i will be using a 40 mountain hardwear x-country
i can go a little below freezeing in a 40 degree bag.i am a hot sleeper:cool: neo

neo: how did you like this bag?

Tinker
05-09-2006, 23:35
If I didn't have a bag for every season and altitude already, I'd start off with a 20 degree bag at Springer in late March or early April and switch to a 45 degree bag much later in the hike. Summer is the season you can carry the least, so why not take advantage of it? You could also get a roomy semi-rectangular down bag rated at about 45 degrees and wear a down parka with a hood inside of it. Down pants are available, too. Last summer, I did a weekend on the AT in Vermont, sleeping in my hammock, and wearing a fleece jacket and pants as a sleeping bag. I stayed warm on the 50 degree nights. A sleeping bag can be an optional piece of gear in the right conditions.